• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

But surely a manager must know what players he wants for his style of football rather than a DOF picking transfer targets

The thing is the players Hodgson wants for his style are not what Liverpool need.

He bought Konchesky and Poulsen.. says it all.

It depends on the manager whether a DOF should deal with transfers and whatnot, some like to just give a list of possible targets and let someone else deal with the negotiating and money side. Others like to do everything.

If it was up to me I would have a Director of Football orchistraing our players wages and transfers. A head coach running the training sessions for the team and a technical assistant to pick the team line-up and match tactics, a PR manager to deal with the press and a team psychologist to get the team mentally ready and confident.

Hodgson can then concentrate on everything else.

The thing is the players Hodgson wants for his style are not what Liverpool need.

He bought Konchesky and Poulsen.. says it all.

It depends on the manager whether a DOF should deal with transfers and whatnot' date=' some like to just give a list of possible targets and let someone else deal with the negotiating and money side. Others like to do everything.

If it was up to me I would have a Director of Football orchistraing our players wages and transfers. A head coach running the training sessions for the team and a technical assistant to pick the team line-up and match tactics, a PR manager to deal with the press and a team psychologist to get the team mentally ready and confident.

Hodgson can then concentrate on everything else.[/quote']

You mean like his imminent extended leisure time?

;1217434']You mean like his imminent extended leisure time?

going off his recent comments he's spending his time looking to throw a few digs at rafa and then run behind kenny and talk about how nasty rafa was to kenny (which within a short space of time dalglish's son distanced himself from and tomkins called out hodgson for outright lying)

thankfully for us the end is nigh for hodgson, sadly he'll end up as a sky pundit as his england manager chances have pretty much gone now

Lucky boys. About time' date=' maybe.[/quote']

Not quite sure how we were lucky.....dunno what game people were watching. Never felt Bolton were gunna score, longer the game went more we were on top the goal was coming.

Ive given up trying to have a sensible discussion on here as there is more chance of an earthquake in London than any sensible reasoned debate/discussion with certain members of this thread.

Only thing I wanna say is SKY TV'S total Bias against us particuarly Richard keys smarmy hairy little freak and watching Fat Sam and Monkey boy Reid's totally inept summary of the game was cringeworthy.

All I have to say, as I say reasoned thought and discussion holds no place on this thread.

PS: Krygiakos in the post match interview intimidated the hell outta me...say nothing look hard.....proper hardman

just got back from the game - pretty bad performance from both sides really but will take a 1-0 any day of the week, but the performances have to improve really. was hoping this would be building on the blackburn result but it was more like the everton performance but they didnt pose a threat and a little bit of genius from nando got the goal. feels more like a plaster over a gaping wound more than a corner turned tbh

Ive given up trying to have a sensible discussion on here as there is more chance of an earthquake in London than any sensible reasoned debate/discussion with certain members of this thread.

All I have to say' date=' as I say reasoned thought and discussion holds no place on this thread.[/quote']

oh stop acting like a spoilt child would you - there is plenty of 'reasoned' debate on this thread it just happens that opinions of most on this thread who can actually discuss things in an adult manner (and a good few of them who discuss things on here are just about legal adults, and some arent even that) are the polar opposite of your views and you are throwing your toys out of the pram because hardly anyone agrees with you. grow up will you fella, going off your username your nearly 30 ffs

Thought we played well in spells, always a hard game away to Bolton even in the past when we have been in form we have struggled there.

Thing is if Gerrard and Torres were at there normal best we would have been 2/3 nill up within 30mins which would have totaly changed the rest of the match as we would have been flowing with confidence.

Touch of class at the end from Torres to create the goal though (deserved as we was playing well at that time)

Heart dropped when Poulsen came on tho :P honestly thought he was going to do something to cost us the win.

Still think our best team is Gerrard back in CM and another striker up top though to help Torres, Torres always seems better when someone is up there with him and seems to play well with ngog probably because it takes a lot of pressure from defenders away from Torres.

When Torres is up front on his own both CB's just target him and while hes not at his best its so much harder.

Think we look a lot better than a few weeks ago, players seem to be trying harder so lets hope they can keep that up and build on it further as we are still miles away from everyone playing to there best level.

Is Torres Ameobi in disguise? WHat on earth has happened to him. Its not all down to confidence. Surely?

Probably wouldn't be the worst case scenario for us when comparing the two's current form :P (Did I just say that? :eek:). We all keep saying it and it's a cliche' date=' but he just needs a couple of goals and things will be right.

Only thing I wanna say is SKY TV'S total Bias against us particuarly Richard keys smarmy hairy little freak and watching Fat Sam and Monkey boy Reid's totally inept summary of the game was cringeworthy.

Been saying that for over a couple of years now. Their bias toward another team and their obvious bias against ours has culminated in me cancelling my Sky subscription. There's only so much brown stuff you can listen to, don't want to pay for that I can watch the neighbour's cat doing it in the garden for free (wasn't the only factor but the main one). One of their competitors are now benefitting instead :)

Heart dropped when Poulsen came on tho :P honestly thought he was going to do something to cost us the win.

Same here! :P

Poulsen is what Lucas was two years ago. You just fear the worse when he comes on or starts and are just waiting for a disaster to happen. Lucas had the excuse that he was young and he clearly has gone on leaps and bounds since then. Poulsen is at the tail end of his career and he can only get worse :(.

just got back from the game - pretty bad performance from both sides really but will take a 1-0 any day of the week' date=' but the performances have to improve really. was hoping this would be building on the blackburn result but it was more like the everton performance but they didnt pose a threat and a little bit of genius from nando got the goal. feels more like a plaster over a gaping wound more than a corner turned tbh[/quote']

Can't see us being anywhere our best for some time yet. Currently substance is better than style and the results are all important.The confidence won't come until we string a few victories together as at the moment all the players are too afraid to get more expansive for fear of making a mistake. Would happily take a string of 1-0s from scrappy games at the moment to move us up into a more secure position. Just peering around the corner at the moment, nowhere near turning it.

I never thought ye would actually get relegated and I think ye could still get Europa League again this season. Amazing what two wins does isn't it :P
never mind europa, were only 5points behind sh!teh. Still not too sure bout chelsea game, fear for the worst if we play without n'goals now that coles injured

as some of you will know hodgson used kenny to take a dig at rafa this weekend (which was a complete lie as rafa and kenny are very good mates), and today at the inter press conference, despite them saying no liverpool questions the english press kept badgering him and just like the last time inter played spurs he came out with some beauties:

"I think that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand. Every single press conference is even worse than the last one.(:D) He's talking about things that he doesn't know.And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.Maybe he hasn't been in Liverpool too long. We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players. So maybe he cannot understand this. I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club and Christian Purslow gave him another role. (rafa brought him to work with the youth but purslow made him a 'club ambassador'). He (Hodgson) doesn't know but I will explain it to him. So, instead of talking about flips and flops, he has to concentrate on his job, try to do his best and not talk about the level of his players or the new players."

one again sums up why he is a legend of liverpool and why hodgson is a chump whos tenure wont be lasting much longer. and last time the day after purslow got canned, hodgson has a meeting with henry tomorrow, cross yer fingers people in the hope that lighting strikes twice

(and before anyone moans about this, with the amount of revisionism that has gone on he is more than entitled to defend himself and have a go at hodgsons utter lies and his shameless use of kenny dalglish, our greatest living lfc legend to attack another legend to save his own worthless hide and to cover up that he is doing a worse job than souness. and i know hodgson's #1 fanboy on here will be looking up what john aldridge has said before he comments)

as some of you will know hodgson used kenny to take a dig at rafa this weekend (which was a complete lie as rafa and kenny are very good mates)' date=' and today at the inter press conference, despite them saying no liverpool questions the english press kept badgering him and just like the last time inter played spurs he came out with some beauties:

"[b']I think that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand.[/b] Every single press conference is even worse than the last one.(:D) He's talking about things that he doesn't know.And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.Maybe he hasn't been in Liverpool too long. We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players. So maybe he cannot understand this. I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club and Christian Purslow gave him another role. (rafa brought him to work with the youth but purslow made him a 'club ambassador'). He (Hodgson) doesn't know but I will explain it to him. So, instead of talking about flips and flops, he has to concentrate on his job, try to do his best and not talk about the level of his players or the new players."

one again sums up why he is a legend of liverpool and why hodgson is a chump whos tenure wont be lasting much longer. and last time the day after purslow got canned, hodgson has a meeting with henry tomorrow, cross yer fingers people in the hope that lighting strikes twice

(and before anyone moans about this, with the amount of revisionism that has gone on he is more than entitled to defend himself and have a go at hodgsons utter lies and his shameless use of kenny dalglish, our greatest living lfc legend to attack another legend to save his own worthless hide and to cover up that he is doing a worse job than souness. and i know hodgson's #1 fanboy on here will be looking up what john aldridge has said before he comments)

That kinda post is precisely why I said you cannot have a sensible debate with you. Hodgson's Number one fanboy good one original.....Nevr said that, I said he should be given ample time then judge him, but then again you do tend to tell a pack of lies whenever quoting anything i say..

By the way how dark is it with your head so far shoved up Rafa's behind??

You always make things personnel and have this strange sense that everything you say is right....

If it makes you happy continue to do so......

Im asking you if you can be an adult please dont ever refer to me, speak to me again you are irrelevent to me and I cant be bothered to enter any kinda discussion with somebody who lies about what i say to try and suit his own agenda.

the truth is and I know you never mention this is that I felt Rafa's time was up irrelevent of what people think of whether Hodgson was the right man for the job, all i have ever said is that you have to give the manager(whoever it is) time and money then judge him quite the polar opposite of what you say I say but then truth never matters to you.

Anybody can go back and read my posts and see im consistent in what i say, not a no 1 fanboy(unlike you with Rafa) but also realistic enough to know that is will take time, money and a whole lot of restructuring before we are gunna get back towards the top domestically and in Europe.

Have a good life Burs

all i have ever said is that you have to give the manager(whoever it is) time and money then judge him

before i say my goodbyes to you fella' date=' i'd just like to address this point - graeme souness got time and money and look where we ended up after that.

sometimes in life when you have an obvious problem you can either wait and see if things magically improve or you cut your losses before it becomes a real problem (a la souness), and seeing as the club never really recovered from his time in charge it'd be an absolute unmitigated disaster if hodgson is allowed time to imprint his ideals on the club and spend money in order to implement those ideas, and with the way the game is now i doubt we'd ever recover if he got the time and finance to remodel liverpool under his own image, and if you want to see what the consequences of that can be next time your at anfield have a look across stanley park and think about what they've been through since they last won the league, how far they fell and how far they could have fallen if it werent for a bit of luck.

in fact not that far away there was one of the biggest clubs in the land who gave hodgson time and money, and they've never recovered due what hodgson did there, and that is the one [b']enormous[/b] red flag that the people hiring him should have seen which should have made them discount 2 seasons at fulham because blackburn rovers never recovered from roy hodgson, and given time and money here there is a very good chance that could happen here. in life you give time (and resources) to people who have a track record, to people who have shown they can do it at that level or who have shown signs that they can do it, and hodgson doesnt fit any of that criteria really, so the best thing for the club is to cut our losses now before serious damage that could destroy the club terminally will be done

I would say he roy spends a little to much time messing with the media seems there is such a big job that needs doing, maybe he should just keep quiet and focus on that for a while.

Bashing Rafa (who is stil loved by such a massive % of LFC fans which can easily be seen at the ground and on the net - and even at inters ground :P )

will not help his popularity, plus Rafa overall is pretty clever and can easily make Roy look pretty stupid like he just did as he knows FAR, FAR more than Roy about LFC and how its been run due to actually going through it.

Rafa is an LFC legend imo and not just because of the CL win, Roy has not earned the right to be bashing anything he has done, I would say to Roy compare his CV to Rafa's considering the length of time both of them have been managing.

Roy needs to keep his head down and try and build on the last 2 games, he can blame the current squad all he likes (what a morale booster that has to be for them btw) but you give that same squad to a top manager and they would make them perform just like top managers always do.

the 2 worst players in our team imo and Poulsen (by a friggin MILE) and Konchesky, both of which was signed by Roy, although I think Merieles will prove to be a VERY good signing.

Just a few random comments/thoughts/questions:

(1) Hodgson: I firmly believe that this week (or next @ the latest) that we will have the executive management structure named and in place. Under a scenario where the highest level remaining executive is the Business Development guy (Ian Ayre), it's almost impossible to see a situation where Hodgson remains as the manager (especially once you consider the results and the possible player factions that are reportedly in place).

(2) Creativity: Was stoked to see Liverpool's creativity from Min 1-20 and Min 80-90. Even the stuff that didn't work out (i.e. purposely allowing passes to go by that didn't quite reach the next guy, etc...). It's something that has been missing all season, but I am also curious why it went missing from Min 21-79...!

(3) Gerrard: Other than poorly taken set-pieces you never would have known that Steven Gerrard even played. Stuart Holden marked him completely out of the match.

(4) 3 Points: Last year or earlier this season, we would have never salvaged that game after the first 80 minute performance. We would have drawn that game 0-0. Nice to come away with 3 points. It's the type of result that good teams should pick up even when they aren't playing their best. That said, I imagine that Bolton supporters probably have a case if they feel hard-done by not coming out of that with a point.

(5) Soto: That Kevin Davies X Soto match-up was the fantastic side-show of the match.

(6) Carra: Can someone please please tell Carragher NOT to push forward on the right. That said, (I will probably be killed for saying this) but we actually had our best moments in the match when Konchesky was far forward. I thought he had a very good game. Also, Lucas did a nice job covering for both of those guys.

(7) Scoring Confidence: Almost sensing an increasing lack of confidence for both Gerrard & Torres. Each are now not taking their chances and instead making one-pass too many to each other.

(8) Pacheco: Anyone care to explain to me why one of the best U-21 players in the world can't even be called up for the substitutes bench ? He brings attributes to this team that no one else on the squad remotely possesses. I would think that at least placing his tools at your disposal would be something that any manager would want. I don't have insight into how he is in training or for the reserves, so maybe I am missing something. But I will say this...

If Hodgson alienates this kid to the point where he completely wants out I will place it right up there with Benitez's foolish egotistical alienation of Xabi Alonso. Completely unacceptable and shouldn't be taken lightly. I think how we handle this guy is going to be a telling example for other young good non-English kids who we will try to woo to The Academy.

(9) Really???: Before the goal, other than the 1st half header and the poor 2nd touch by Torres, our very best opportunity in the match was a wild uncharacteristic overhead kick by Maxi. THAT was our best opportunity...? That REALLY isn't saying much...

(10) JCole Injury/Contract: Other than hoping he was okay, the following is the first thing that I thought of when JCole went down injured :

Each of the past 2 years Chelsea has played 59 total matches in all competitions.
09/10: Cole played in 35% of the total minutes possible
(1' date='867 min/5,310 total)

08/09: Cole played in 35% of the total minutes possible
(1,896 min/5,310 total)

Again... All of this is not to say that Joe Cole won't perform great for LFC. I really hope he does.

But on the face of it if this deal with him isn't laden with appearance incentives, and is simply him on the payroll @ £90K per week for 4 big years, it's a ho-hum bit of business.

Guys like Joe Cole are paid to create. So in essence, they are paid to be on the pitch.
They aren't paid for their goals and assists. The guy has proven over the past 2 years that he can only be on the pitch 35% of the time throughout an entire season. A straight contract @ £90K per week for 4 massive years is not a wonderful bit of Transfer Market business for such a player.

If it's £90K per week for 4 years: Even with someone with his pedigree, it's average business at best.

Again to put things in perspective
, here's another £19M investment that Liverpool could currently be making instead of this one:

BRYAN RUIZ:
You could take that same £19M, spend £10M in Transfer Fees to Twente, pay Bryan Ruiz £40-50K per week for 4 years, and have a guy who after 4 years will be 28 and in the prime of his futbol career, with a CONSIDERABLE sell-on value.

Anyway, I'll be rooting hard for JCole to succeed @LFC... I just hope the contract is structured appropriately. 'Cause LFC are in no position to be pisssing money around on wages to injured players.

(11) Top 4: I continue to believe that there is enough quality on this squad to compete for Top 4-5. Do I like our wide men ? No. The CBs ? No. Our Wingbacks ? No. Our bench? No. Our depth ? No. I think we could probably transfer out all of the players in those positions for Zero net transfer spend and acquire a squad who is Better, Younger and Costs less in wages.

But that said, I firmly believe that we have enough quality in the *correct* 1st team to compete for a 4th or 5th spot.

For me the key, wasn't Games 1-6. For me the key to this entire season were Games 7-14. I personally thought that we could get a minimum of 18 points out of those 8 matches. With the losses to Blackpool and Everton that doesn't leave us much wiggle room.

Why did I think that stretch of games were key ? Because if we were performing well and getting our points during that stretch it likely would have meant that questions were asked and effectively answered by the tactics and that the club was gelling and back to performing on a high-ish level.

Also, and just as importantly, if we were going to have a good reach towards the 4th Spot, we were going to need some help from a psychologically over-matched Mancini and a schizophrenic Tottenham. Guess what we have both of those happening. We just have to win win win now...

I fear that we are going to look back on this season and not getting enough points over this stretch of matches is going to be the difference between 4th & 8th place.

Just a few more:

(12) 4th or 5th Place: We are a 1 W/L performance from being tied with Tottenham for 5th in the Table. Change just one of the disappointing & lackluster Blackpool, Everton or Sunderland performances & results and we are right there in terms of the table.

Our competition this year simply ISN'T Chelski, Arsenal or United. It's not to say that those are throw-away games. But I think it might be a massive unrealistic stretch to ask any kind of results from them.

Rather...Our competition this year is the rest...

Yes...We were completely blitzed by City, but don't you dare believe that team is going to hold it together for the entire year. They are a psychologist's wet-dream. No chance that Mancini can hold that many egos together. And just wait until Balotelli starts up...

And as far as Tottenham goes, I don't think we match up well with them as a team, but they are hands-down the most schizophrenic team in the Prem. They will not run away with anything. It's not in their nature. 4th place is within our grasp if some things start to change.

PremTable.jpgPremTable.jpg

(13) Match Day Tactics, Tactics, Tactics.... : Anybody see the Real Madrid X Hercules match this weekend....?

Madrid is losing on the road to a scrappy Hercules squad that has already taken 3 points off of Barcelona. Realizing that the difference this year between Madrid & Barca is going to be settled by something as simple as how one team was able to take more points off a bottom lower-half team, what does Mourinho do...? He goes balls-to-the-wall all out attacking in the 75th minute. Goes from an attacking 4-2-3-1 to effectively a 3-2-1-4 !! (i.e. he took off Pepe in the back and replaced him with Benzema up front). Needless to say it was just too much for a scrappy but tired Hercules defense to stave-off. Mission accomplished. Madrid ended up going ahead 3-1 and then Mourinho put 2 defensive players in and went to a defensive 4-2-3-1.

Want to see any other good match day tactics...? Simply look @ what a team with very little depth like Michael Laudrup's Mallorca have been accomplishing this season. They have stolen points versus both Madrid & Barca (away) and they have numerous come from behind wins & draws including one just yesterday. During the match Laudrup will have them structurally change to be more attacking or defensive if they need to be...and he won't wait to the 65th or 75th to do it.

Point being is that it is soooooo painful seeing Liverpool just doing simple like-for-like substitutions from the 65-75th minute on. I had enough of it last year with Benitez. Was hoping for something more this year, but we seem to have regressed even further.

I know we aren't the deepest squad (like Madrid). And I know we don't necessarily have the most skillful players (like Arsenal). But can we at least load up the the substitutes' bench with players who bring different qualities who could be used in different situations depending upon what the intra-match circumstances call for ?

Furthermore, realizing (like Mourinho did with Madrid) that the difference between reaching our goals this year and not reaching them is literally going to come down to winning points off of opponents that our competition (City & Tottenham) have dropped points against.... Is it too much to ask not to put the team in a position where it is structurally more attacking when it needs to be ...? (i.e. change the match-day tactics during the game)

(3) Gerrard: Other than poorly taken set-pieces you never would have known that Steven Gerrard even played. Stuart Holden marked him completely out of the match.

seems to always struggle against bolton' date=' remember last season he was marked out the match by muamba, wasnt ntill he was sent off that gerrard finally got a grip of the game and scored.

the 2 worst players in our team imo and Poulsen (by a friggin MILE) and Konchesky, both of which was signed by Roy

very good point.

Seems even some footy players are struggling to cope in this economic climate. I've just read on Babel's twitter page that he refuses to pay to download music off itunes and will instead use limewire. I know Ryan's very stingy when it comes to finances, but on that kind of wage does he really need to promote piracy?

Gotta make that £70k a week stretch I suppose... :rolleyes:.