• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Firstly and most importantly.. Yeah she is gorgeous.

As for the team, I think Spearing did well and showed he has the talent to play in our first team if he is given more oppertunity. Johnson showed again why he should be a right midfielder. Poulsen showed why he should be shot and put out of his misery. Actually have to give it to Konchesky he did a few good things going forward but still makes mistakes. Shelvy tried hard and did really well closing them down even late into the match, he isn't the complete article by any means but he shows 10-times more commitment and desire than most of the 1st team players. Jovanovic... Surely we cheated by taking him off and replacing him with Gerrard.

What a game for Gerrard though. The first goal is basically everything I have been saying what we weren't doing for the whole season, it all started when Shelvy didn't give up on a lost cause and ran the whole length of the pitch which forced their defender to rush a pass so his team mate couldn't controll it and conceded a throw in. Then Gerrard never gave up on a 50-50 and closed down the keeper and beat him to it. How many times this season have we seen our team stop when the ball isn't placed at their feet and allowed the opposition to have all the time int he world.

Hopefully Gerrard saved some goals for Sunday.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I have just read a piece this morning about Carragher saying that Gerrard is the best 'ever' player to play for Liverpool.

Now I know footballers are not the brightest stars in the sky but this is such a ridiculous statement. Gerrard is a very good player in a pretty poor Liverpool team, (by their standards)

Has Carragher never heard of Kenny Dalglish? I suggest he looks back on old clips to see just how far ahead of his time Kenny was. And what about Keegan? With all due respect to Gerrard, he is not in these two players class and never will be. I know it's easy to forget about the quality of players as time goes on, but players such as Dalglish and Keegan surpass the test of time.

Liverpool have had some tremendous players over the years and that is shown by their high standards and achievements and they go down in Football as one of the top clubs in the World.

Now it's easy to get excited about Gerrard last night and he did a great job, but even he would be embarrassed to be classed alongside the likes of King Kenny and Kevin Keegan, to name only two of the great players who have worn the Liverpool jersey.:)

I have just read a piece this morning about Carragher saying that Gerrard is the best 'ever' player to play for Liverpool.

Now I know footballers are not the brightest stars in the sky but this is such a ridiculous statement. Gerrard is a very good player in a pretty poor Liverpool team' date=' (by their standards)[/b']

Has Carragher never heard of Kenny Dalglish? I suggest he looks back on old clips to see just how far ahead of his time Kenny was. And what about Keegan? With all due respect to Gerrard, he is not in these two players class and never will be. I know it's easy to forget about the quality of players as time goes on, but players such as Dalglish and Keegan surpass the test of time.

Liverpool have had some tremendous players over the years and that is shown by their high standards and achievements and they go down in Football as one of the top clubs in the World.

Now it's easy to get excited about Gerrard last night and he did a great job, but even he would be embarrassed to be classed alongside the likes of King Kenny and Kevin Keegan, to name only two of the great players who have worn the Liverpool jersey.:)

there two ways of looking at that.

1) gerrard is playing with poor players which makes he stand out more and seem better

2) or due to the lack of decent players around him it limits how good he is,which imo is the case. lets not forget he managed to score 20 goals a season playing right midfield, he more or less was the main reason we won the two trophy's under rafa and when he was a in team with a player that could pass the ball (alsono) and a decent forward on form (torres) he almost lead of too the league. if he was playing regular with world class players i have no doubt we be up their with the best players ever and not just the best liverpool player

I think he should have added' date=' "while I have been at the club", instead of "ever." I think the emotion got to him, and we cannot blame him for that. Pot and kettle come to mind. :D

[b']Now I know footballers are not the brightest stars in the sky but this is such a ridiculous statement. Gerrard is a very good player in a pretty poor Liverpool team, (by their standards)[/b]

Footballers are one of the few people I would call in phone a friend, that's for sure. And he is a very good player in the worst Liverpool team since somewhere in the mid-ninties.

Dalglish was a class apart, and so were Keegan. I would also say that they were big fish in a freakin' inland sea in those halcyon years during the 70's and 80's. I hate comparisons of quality between players of differing ages, Keegan and Dalglish were of the same era, and one directly replaced the other to great effect, and both could be compared in those times when footballers back made enough money to pay for the mortgage, the car, fish suppers twice a week, and were able to use the remainder to go on the beer for the week if they were so inclined.

Too many to name from the 70's and 80's. And a few in the 90's, not a lot though. And it was in the 90's that the game totally shifted into a realm of significant monies that could be spent, and also a decline on the British talent as compared to the 80's. Liverpool were built on a core of great footballers from the British Isles, but there were not those players from there coming in. So, in an ever growing age of foreign talents coming in, Stevie G was one of the best, and has been ever since that season where the mighty Scottish player, Gary McAllister, came in.

And well he should be embarrassed, but it's not unreasonable to put him up there with those 2 guys, and a few others, as the best ever player for Liverpool. I remember him when he was a newcomer, and I hope to see him for the next 4 or 5 years in a Liverpool shirt. By that age I should think he reverts back to a kind of defensive minded player, and one who doesn't have to traverse the pitch up and down these days. The game has changed to a massive degree since the time of Dalglish's later days, nevermind the the earlier days of Keegan, and I also believe that the qualities of the league in general have improved by a large degree.

It's hard to compare footballers from differing era's, but if I was comparing, I would have to add a bigger weight to Gerrard's achievements during these more modern times of football, where you cannot have a bag of chips and a f*g at half time. Fitness levels, and the standard to a high degree of fitness have changed. Tactics and formation are no longer as strict as they were, and neither is the game the same where you could use the same set of players for the whole regular season.

You and I, Dave, more you though :P, were born in a different time where we can fully remember the older stars who once roamed the pitch for Liverpool from such a vast collection of players. I have memories of Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton and Rush, who were my stars of the day. But if I had to do a comparison, like put a number to the player, then players from different era's would have to have a weight put to them. By that I mean that for a score of 9.5 I could put to Dalglish, I would have it put to 1.5. And for a score of 8.5 to Steven Gerrard, I would put that to 2.0. (I am only using them scores as an example, not my ratings.)

Something like that, football is a tricky business to evaluate stuff from. :)

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

And well he should be embarrassed' date=' but it's not unreasonable to put him up there with those 2 guys, and a few others, as the best ever player for Liverpool. I remember him when he was a newcomer, and I hope to see him for the next 4 or 5 years in a Liverpool shirt. By that age I should think he reverts back to a kind of defensive minded player, and one who doesn't have to traverse the pitch up and down these days. The game has changed to a massive degree since the time of Dalglish's later days, nevermind the the earlier days of Keegan, and I also believe that the qualities of the league in general have improved by a large degree.

It's hard to compare footballers from differing era's, but if I was comparing, I would have to add a bigger weight to Gerrard's achievements during these more modern times of football, where you cannot have a bag of chips and a f*g at half time. Fitness levels, and the standard to a high degree of fitness have changed. Tactics and formation are no longer as strict as they were, and neither is the game the same where you could use the same set of players for the whole regular season.

You and I, Dave, more you though :P, were born in a different time where we can fully remember the older stars who once roamed the pitch for Liverpool from such a vast collection of players. I have memories of Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton and Rush, who were my stars of the day. But if I had to do a comparison, like put a number to the player, then players from different era's would have to have a weight put to them. By that I mean that for a score of 9.5 I could put to Dalglish, I would have it put to 1.5. And for a score of 8.5 to Steven Gerrard, I would put that to 2.0. (I am only using them scores as an example, not my ratings.)

Something like that, football is a tricky business to evaluate stuff from. :)[/quote']

I accept a lot of what you say Dermot but class knows no boundaries in my humble opinion and great players like George Best, Kenny Dalglish, Bobby Charlton to name but a miniscule of players from bygone era's would shine in any generation of football. Class is class and no amount of better training or different style structures can ever change that. Players that I mentioned and 99% of all the great players who have ever played would have adjusted to whatever was put before them, so I can't look at an individual player and say, well, he is better because today's game is faster.

Call me and old f.art but Ronaldo couldn't have laced George Best's boots in his era or George's era.

I implore you to watch guys like Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton when they played for England in the 60's along with the other great players of that time. I remember as a future 16 yr old semi pro player myself, watching in awe as these guys hit 40 yard balls right onto your chest/foot with regular ease.

As much as it gauled me as a Scot. it was mesmeric watching the way England played in the 60's. On the carpet football the likes of England's National team hasn't seen in many a year.

To end my retort Dermot :P. I know how much the game has changed, how much faster it seems but skill is skill and class is class. I like Gerrard, he has skill and plenty of heart but to compare him to Kenny Dalglish is like comparing Red Rum to Foinavon (only the real old guys will understand that one lol) :P

sDK2YBy33_M

Just the first part of the genius behind the man.

;)

Those balls were played well, and by the players back then or today who can do it are well deserving of plaudits. Hell, Alonso was great at hitting them balls. And so were those players of the 60's, 70's or 80's. But the game has changed so much into a quicker direct and shorter passing version of the game. I don't know how some of them older lads would have performed back then if the game was different.

But, I love history, and I am one who prefers older stuff that's either around now, or was around before. But looking at stuff from back then, passing and tackles, it's a different game to today, and like I said, I would put more of a weight on the games from the 2000 era then I would from 1970 or 1980. Either way, I know how good other players were in their day, and I know how good Gerrard has been so far.

Actually another way to look at it is how many points a given player has won, or has prevented from losing in a given period. And 1 player, and those saved or won points have to be spread about 1 man. Well, in Liverpools last decade, that 1 man, over Carragher who has saved any amount of points, has to be Gerrard. Now, that amount has to take into account the number of effectual players, very few good ones these days, but lots back then.

Sorry Dave, I go off the point, I had a statistics exam today, one which I don't know the score till tomorrow, but for 90 I am hoping. :)

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Those balls were played well' date=' and by the players back then or today who can do it are well deserving of plaudits. Hell, Alonso was great at hitting them balls. And so were those players of the 60's, 70's or 80's. But the game has changed so much into a quicker direct and shorter passing version of the game. I don't know how some of them older lads would have performed back then if the game was different.

But, I love history, and I am one who prefers older stuff that's either around now, or was around before. But looking at stuff from back then, passing and tackles, it's a different game to today, and like I said, I would put more of a weight on the games from the 2000 era then I would from 1970 or 1980. Either way, I know how good other players were in their day, and I know how good Gerrard has been so far.

Actually another way to look at it is how many points a given player has won, or has prevented from losing in a given period. And 1 player, and those saved or won points have to be spread about 1 man. Well, in Liverpools last decade, that 1 man, over Carragher who has saved any amount of points, has to be Gerrard. Now, that amount has to take into account the number of effectual players, very few good ones these days, but lots back then.

Sorry Dave, I go off the point, I had a statistics exam today, one which I don't know the score till tomorrow, but for 90 I am hoping. :)[/quote']

There are so many different factors of the game that have to be considered. Number one, the game maybe faster today but the ball is half the weight of an old ball from the 60's /70's etc. The game was a much more contact sport back then and guys like 'Chopper' Harris and Emlyn Hughes were no carthorses and would eat the modern player for brekkie :P.

We can debate all day long about players from different era's and how they would have dealt with the game as it was in their time. I don't believe that a faster paced game neccesarilly means more skill.

We can look at it this way, Gerrard would have struggled to get into the great Liverpool sides of the 70/80's, Dalglish would walk into any team in the world at anytime. :P

I hope your exams go well Dermot, good luck. :)

There are so many different factors of the game that have to be considered. Number one' date=' the game maybe faster today but the ball is half the weight of an old ball from the 60's /70's etc. The game was a much more contact sport back then and guys like 'Chopper' Harris and Emlyn Hughes were no carthorses and would eat the modern player for brekkie :P.

We can debate all day long about players from different era's and how they would have dealt with the game as it was in their time. I don't believe that a faster paced game neccesarilly means more skill.

We can look at it this way, Gerrard would have struggled to get into the great Liverpool sides of the 70/80's, Dalglish would walk into any team in the world at anytime. :P

I hope your exams go well Dermot, good luck. :)[/quote']

Thank you Dave. We can both agree on the fact that the games are different today. I'd love for 'Chopper' Harris being in the same game as Cristiano Ronaldo, or Ray Houghton. But those kinds of tackles are almost gone from the game, so a debate will trundle on. :)

Does anyone else think that Poulsen could be the worst signing we've ever made?!? He was awful again last night.

I saw the first Napoli goal and the last 2 Gerrard goals, I saw a bit of Poulsen and he looked pretty useless. He seems pretty aggressive a player, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got sent off on Sunday.

But yeah, my prediction is 2-1 to Liverpool. Gotta stay in high spirits!

The way I see it, we are going into tomorrow with nothing to lose really. Nobody is really expecting us to win and the teams we are competing against now arent likely to pick up points from Chelsea so a loss won't be too devastating.

But a win will be great for morale and confidence and put us in a decent position in the table.

Basically, we better not start with 2 defesive midfield players playing long balls up to Torres which he has no hope of catching resulting in him not bothering to chase even easy balls and we get thumped 6-0.