• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

great win and great performance.

That is the kind if display I have been wanting, not just because we beat Chelsea but the pressing, tackling, passion and commitment what we have been missing.

Thumbs up to Hodgson for going with that formation and style we used against Chelsea today thought he got it spot on (rare for me I know :P) but if he can get us playing exactly like that for most the games this season I would be happy (regardless of the result)

Only negative I have against him today was his FT interview, saying we have been playing like that all season but people just looking at the results dont see it, which was BS imo as we have been shocking and there has been NONE of that today for 95% of our season so far. But that doesnt matter much I guess as he got the main bit spot on.

I really hope he keeps with that formation for the next games and not reverts back to the same old boring stuff.

Gerrard NEEDS to keep that position as well, controls the game so much more from there and defenders cant mark him out of the game as easily.

Kelly as RB was very good and when Johnson comes back we should really try him as a right winger and let Kelly play a couple of games in a row at RB and see how he does.

Agreed, still think Kelly has a bit to learn but theres no where better to learn it than the premier league :D

It was a good performance, well done Roy and Torres for pulling it off.

Yet again we have movement - we win! Maybe they is actually something in it?

Kelly did a great job, you wouldn't think that was his 1st premiership game considering he was against one of the best left sides in the world.

Lucas was good too, it always got to me when he was played as a DM, he can play a box-to-box style so well and has a good passing style which suits Torres.

Reina showed his class again, didn't have a very busy match but when we needed him he was sharp and we could easily have lost this without him.

The only thing that got me was, after a frist half where we ran the show, why did we change our style and try and protect the 2-0 lead. For a long spell in the 2nd half they had 70% posession and the ball never crossed the half way line. Then we attacked for 2mins - controlled everything - then suddenly went back to defending.

It was stupid and gave us some un-needed defending to do when we could have bossed the game for the whole 90mins without a scare.

Final note that we need to change in our game, we need our front players to close down opposition defenders all the time. Whenever you watch Liverpool have the ball at the back they never ever loko compfortable, they have to play 1st time passes because they are always being closed down. However when it goes up the other end defenders get 6-7+ seconds to have 2 and 3 touches and pass it about unchallenged. Not only does this mean they have more possesion but they are able to set into a formation and provide more options. If we had out players chasing down their defenders every game we would have a lot more points.

Best wishes go to Dan Agger' date=' who's facing a career-threatening injury. He's being troubled by calf injuries caused by the deposit of calcium on the bone. Hopefully he will be able to pull through it, and not end up like Owen Hargreaves.[/quote']

Agreed, good luck to him, he's a brilliant defender.

Fantastic day yesterday as at the game (albeit in the Chelsea end-went with my Sisters boyfriend season ticket holder at Chelsea) so had to somehow show wnormous restaraint when inside was busting with Joy.

Good performance again, 1st half we were by far the best side and even in the 2nd half i felt we just sat on the lead and really i felt pretty comfotable. They had posession,terriortory but I never felt under real threat which is a credit to how the team was set-up and the defensive organisation which has started to take some shape especially when consider the late abscenses of johnson and Kyriagos.

Gerrard was again magnificent especially 1st half just dictated the whole game. Just reittirates what I have said ever since Alonso went you have to play Stevie CM, let him run the game from there. he is the only midfielder we have capable of dictating a game and most games are won or lost deciding on the midfield battle.

Undoubtably though and let it not be said that i do not give credit or criticism in eqal measure I say what is deserved Lucas was absolutely magnificent yesterday. Far and away his best game in a Liverpool shirt by a country mile, commitment, determination,tackling ability, Some decent forward (thats the key word here) passing and deserved the MOTM award IMO. To be fair to the lad I have never questioned his attitude but he needs to display this kind of level on a more consistent basis and if he does I will be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. The last few games he has displayed that and long may it continue.

Special mention for Torres magnificent finishing and as many people need to remember there hve been a lot of doubters, I never have the guy is class form is temporary and class is permenent. His worth to Liverpool is beyond doubt as stated before we need Torres and we need him bad.

kelly also deserves a mention he done ok, got exposed a few times positionally but you expect that and in the heat of such an important game on his PL bow against unquestionably IMO the best team in the country he can be proud of his days work, still got a lot to learn but the raw materials are definetley there.

Strange aint it how everything can turn around in a couple of weeks we aint suddenly become a great team, far from it but we aint as bad as some people try to make out. the reality is somewhere in the middle and i still think top 6 is a good season. Time and Patience, time and patience. The imprint of Roy's philosophy is starting to sink in as the playes get a better grip of how the team is likely to be shaped. only time will show if it proves to be successful but at least the signs are more promising.......long may it continue.

Undoubtably though and let it not be said that i do not give credit or criticism in eqal measure I say what is deserved Lucas was absolutely magnificent yesterday. Far and away his best game in a Liverpool shirt by a country mile' date=' commitment, determination,tackling ability, Some decent forward (thats the key word here) passing and deserved the MOTM award IMO. To be fair to the lad I have never questioned his attitude but he needs to display this kind of level on a more consistent basis and if he does I will be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. The last few games he has displayed that and long may it continue.[/quote']

I agree with all off this and i also belive he deserved MOTM but hey atleast his performance hasnt gone un noticed ive heard alot off people saying he was great which i 100% agree with, i remember last season when Lucas scored against Benfica "Lucas, often seen as a villain around these parts has become a hero today" and long be a hero he shall be :)

Strange aint it how everything can turn around in a couple of weeks we aint suddenly become a great team' date=' far from it but we aint as bad as some people try to make out. the reality is somewhere in the middle and i still think top 6 is a good season. Time and Patience, time and patience. The imprint of Roy's philosophy is starting to sink in as the playes get a better grip of how the team is likely to be shaped. only time will show if it proves to be successful but at least the signs are more promising.......long may it continue.[/quote']

You can't really bring out the "I told you so" regarding Hodgson just yet. I give him credit that he finally realised things were not working and he changed them and really pulled it out of the bag with a brilliant win.

However I still would prefer Pelligrini to be Liverpool manager, Hodgson still has a load of faults and made error after error all season. He almost messed it up with his 2nd half plan to protect the lead (had it not been for some world-class saves from Pepe and a gutsy and brilliant play from Carragher we could have paid for sitting back and easily conceded 3 and lost the game)

Another thing I have said about Torres all along is that he seems to only play like this against the bigger teams where he has somethnig to prove. I would like to see him do the same that he did to Chelsea against teams like Stoke, Sunderland, Birmingham when it isn't live all around the world.

You can't really bring out the "I told you so" regarding Hodgson just yet. I give him credit that he finally realised things were not working and he changed them and really pulled it out of the bag with a brilliant win.

However I still would prefer Pelligrini to be Liverpool manager' date=' Hodgson still has a load of faults and made error after error all season. He almost messed it up with his 2nd half plan to protect the lead (had it not been for some world-class saves from Pepe and a gutsy and brilliant play from Carragher we could have paid for sitting back and easily conceded 3 and lost the game)

Another thing I have said about Torres all along is that he seems to only play like this against the bigger teams where he has somethnig to prove. I would like to see him do the same that he did to Chelsea against teams like Stoke, Sunderland, Birmingham when it isn't live all around the world.[/quote']

I never said I told you so.....

Dunno about mess it up 2nd half i as there and never really felt threatend, you expect an onslaught but it never really happened restricted them to very few chances.

All i said was that maybe time and patience is required and we are showing signs of going in the right direction, getting wins and perhaps more importantly performances in terms of how the team are playing is showing a massive improvement the last few weeks.

Hodgson aint suddenly beome a genius, he has had a good few weeks no more no less but neither was he the inept chump some of you were trying to make him out to be.

All I will repeat is what I have said all along a new manager has to be given time and resources then you can properly judge.

Its either OTT praise for one victory against Chelsea or completley OTT criticism where he has been concerned so far...the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Not a good start.....must do better and luckily both him and the team are lately lets just hope the momentum continues at Wigan tomorrow. I can see that being a tough game and we exerted an awful lot of energy Sunday, Wigan had a days extra rest and they have a habit of playing well against the bigger sides. Hopefully we show the same intent to try and win the game as we did at Bolton and we should have enough to see us grab the points.

(11) Top 4:

I continue to believe that there is enough quality on this squad to compete for Top 4-5.

For me the key' date=' wasn't Games 1-6. For me the key to this entire season were Games 7-14. I personally thought that we could get a minimum of 18 points out of those 8 matches...

Also, and just as importantly, if we were going to have a good reach towards the 4th Spot, we were going to need some help from a psychologically over-matched Mancini and a schizophrenic Tottenham. Guess what we have both of those happening. We just have to win win win now...

I fear that we are going to look back on this season and not getting enough points over this stretch of matches is going to be the difference between 4th & 8th place.

Just a few more:

(12) 4th or 5th Place:

We are a 1 W/L performance from being tied with Tottenham for 5th in the Table. Change just one of the disappointing & lackluster Blackpool' date=' Everton or Sunderland performances & results and we are right there in terms of the table.

Our competition this year simply ISN'T Chelski, Arsenal or United. It's not to say that those are throw-away games. But I think it might be a massive unrealistic stretch to ask any kind of results from them.

Rather...Our competition this year is the rest...

Yes...We were completely blitzed by City, but don't you dare believe that team is going to hold it together for the entire year. They are a psychologist's wet-dream. No chance that Mancini can hold that many egos together. And just wait until Balotelli starts up...

And as far as Tottenham goes, I don't think we match up well with them as a team, but they are hands-down the most schizophrenic team in the Prem. They will not run away with anything. It's not in their nature. 4th place is within our grasp if some things start to change.

Well... This part is certainly playing out.

(1)
Tottenham have been performing to th
eir
schizophrenic best.

(2)
And a pretty scary City team are good for a red card per match.

Now if we can just score some Away goals with attacking tactcs and a higher defensive line, we'll be in decent shape (despite only stringing together 100 consecutive minutes of complete futbol all season so far).

I never said I told you so.....

Dunno about mess it up 2nd half i as there and never really felt threatend' date=' you expect an onslaught but it never really happened restricted them to very few chances.

All i said was that maybe time and patience is required and we are showing signs of going in the right direction, getting wins and perhaps more importantly performances in terms of how the team are playing is showing a massive improvement the last few weeks.

Hodgson aint suddenly beome a genius, he has had a good few weeks no more no less but neither was he the inept chump some of you were trying to make him out to be.

All I will repeat is what I have said all along a new manager has to be given time and resources then you can properly judge.

Its either OTT praise for one victory against Chelsea or completley OTT criticism where he has been concerned so far...the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Not a good start.....must do better and luckily both him and the team are lately lets just hope the momentum continues at Wigan tomorrow. I can see that being a tough game and we exerted an awful lot of energy Sunday, Wigan had a days extra rest and they have a habit of playing well against the bigger sides. Hopefully we show the same intent to try and win the game as we did at Bolton and we should have enough to see us grab the points.[/quote']

what that victory showed us was what Hodgson is capable off, thus the reason he was given the job, now we can lookforward to the jan transfer window and hope he signs some quality players.

what that victory showed us was what Hodgson is capable off' date=' thus the reason he was given the job, now we can lookforward to the jan transfer window and hope he signs some quality players.[/quote']

To be honest, I would consider today's game and result more important than the one we achieved against Chelsea (even though it has given us momentum). Our failings in recent years have been our inability to get results away from home. Hodgson has unleashed the shackles somewhat by taking Poulsen out of the side. I would be hugely disappointed, irrespective of the result, if Poulsen is somehow manoeuvred back into the team (unless off course we have injuries and needs must).

To be honest' date=' I would consider today's game and result more important than the one we achieved against Chelsea (even though it has given us momentum). Our failings in recent years have been our inability to get results away from home. Hodgson has unleashed the shackles somewhat by taking Poulsen out of the side. I would be hugely disappointed, irrespective of the result, if Poulsen is somehow manoeuvred back into the team (unless off course we have injuries and needs must).[/quote']

Poulson is a mistake anyone can do, all managers do make mistakes, lets just hope Hodgson learns from his.

If we dont get a result today, then the Chelsea victory imo would be pointless, its vital that we build on that.

what that victory showed us was what Hodgson is capable off' date=' thus the reason he was given the job, now we can lookforward to the jan transfer window and hope he signs some quality players.

IMO that victory showed what more positive tactics & line-up, a higher defensive line and a little grit could accomplish. Was glad to see Hodgson roll out those tactics for the Chelsea match. Hopefully we don't revert to the exact opposite today despite being on the road.

Also, Hodgson won't be signing anyone in any Transfer Window for Liverpool. Neither will any new potential manager. That is out of their hands...

This is the Comolli show now...

To be honest' date=' I would consider today's game and result more important than the one we achieved against Chelsea (even though it has given us momentum). [/color']Our failings in recent years have been our inability to get results away from home. Hodgson has unleashed the shackles somewhat by taking Poulsen out of the side. I would be hugely disappointed, irrespective of the result, if Poulsen is somehow manoeuvred back into the team (unless off course we have injuries and needs must).

Completely agree.

IMO if we are going to remotely have a shot@ 4th place, we need a minimum of 18 points between the Blackpool & West Ham matches. The dismal losses to Blackpool & Everton leaves us with zero wiggle-room. IMO we have to win 3 more on the trot heading into the Tottenham game.

Well... This part is certainly playing out.

(1)
Tottenham have been performing to th
eir
schizophrenic best.

(2)
And a pretty scary City team are good for a red card per match.

Now if we can just score some Away goals with attacking tactcs and a higher defensive line' date=' we'll be in decent shape (despite only stringing together 100 consecutive minutes of complete futbol all season so far).

[/color']

And you were very right about games 7-14 being the key to our season. The following 3 games Wigan, Stoke, WHU and then the Spurs game will really tell our potential and where we can get this season.

Wigan (A): A very bad time for Wigan to play us. If we're able to build on the Chelsea game, we should win easily.

Stoke (A): A game where we really need Soto. They're so dangerous from throw-ins and we don't have too many big, strong, good headers of the ball to clear the danger. Never an easy game.

West Ham (H): SHOULD be a walk in the park for us. Can't see us dropping points against them

Spurs (A): A tough game for both sides. A game that will most likely be won by a great individual performance (Torres, Gerrard, VDV, Bale)... Unless it ends up as a draw...

10 points from these 4 games would be really good and it would really send a message to the other teams that we mean business... Not the fact that we can beat the likes of Wigan & WHU but that we can be consistent aswell. An awful lot depends about Torres tbf, if he can play like he did against Chelsea he could win the games (almost) single-handedly.

I was called a nutter when I said Liverpool could finish in the top four, now (with this victory, and if other results go our way), then we'd have a solid fifth place, and we don't have the strongest string of fixtures, I think we can beat Stoke on Saturday and West Ham, just a week later.

And it'd be a tight game against Spurs, but I'm hoping we can edge it out, and win (or at least get something.)