Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I just wouldnt by any club merchandise' date=' similar to what United fans do, maybe not try dressing like a Norwich fan though :D [/quote']

which is what i did - go to the game but not buy merchandise or anything in the ground (e.g. food)

But this is completely different to not attending because results arent great

its not just that the results arent great - in ged and rafa's first seasons people were turning up and the attendances didnt suffer like they have now (definitely with rafa, 99% certain with ged) and the results went backwards compared to the previous season (esp in ged's first year from 3rd to 7th) so its not solely down to the bad results

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

which is what i did - go to the game but not buy merchandise or anything in the ground (e.g. food)

its not just that the results arent great - in ged and rafa's first seasons people were turning up and the attendances didnt suffer like they have now (definitely with rafa' date=' 99% certain with ged) and the results went backwards compared to the previous season (esp in ged's first year from 3rd to 7th) so its not solely down to the bad results[/quote']

Burs im not questioning your motives, or how much of a fan you are pal. I always get the impression your a true fan. By the way, nice effort on not buying food in the ground, i like my half time beer and pie to much :D Im merely questioning the people who have now decided to walk away.

Yeah im not doubting there are other influencing factors i just think its bad, or not the correct behavior of "fans" to walk away when things get tough.

Lets just blame Souness? :P He wrecked Liverpool once he can do it again' date=' although he has nothing to do with the club now its still his fault! :P

(I admit he brought through some great youth but thats it)

Actually ALL of those great youth signings (Macca, Fowler, Redknapp, Gerrard, etc...) happened under Kenny. Something special was in the Merseyside water supply during the mid-late 80s.

And I actually think all of those guys grew up as Everton supporters.

Too bad these same LFC scouts weren't around when guys like Rooney & Rodwell were being signed.

Actually ALL of those great youth signings (Macca' date=' Fowler, Redknapp, Gerrard, etc...) happened under Kenny. Something special was in the Merseyside water supply during the mid-late 80s.

And I actually think all of those guys grew up as Everton supporters.

Too bad these same LFC scouts weren't around when guys like Rooney & Rodwell were being signed.[/quote']

The only reason why the likes of Carra, Macca and co signed for Liverpool was becuse of contract issues, LFC offered better contracts, thus they signed for us. Obviously Everton regretted it:D, theyv learnt from their mistakes.

Amazing how blu thru an thru carra was:eek:.

Similarly Atletico didnt have a youth setup an so Raul was rejected.

Didnt he wreck Rob Jones :o? I thought he brought through Fowler and Ste Macca to' date=' i may be wrong[/quote']

it was his mate phil boersma the 'fitness' coach that wrecked many a players career at liverpool and elsewhere, something souness never realised (at newcastle i think he got them to spend a fortune on a new training pitch as he thouhgt that was the problem!!)

Too bad these same LFC scouts weren't around when guys like Rooney & Rodwell were being signed.

dont think either of those two would have signed for us knowing that everton wanted them, although the footballing talent in merseyside this past decade has been pretty poor as a whole tho

it was his mate phil boersma the 'fitness' coach that wrecked many a players career at liverpool and elsewhere' date=' something souness never realised (at newcastle i think he got them to spend a fortune on a new training pitch as he thouhgt that was the problem!!)[/quote']
Actually ALL of those great youth signings (Macca' date=' Fowler, Redknapp, Gerrard, etc...) happened under Kenny. Something special was in the Merseyside water supply during the mid-late 80s.

[/quote']

IMO i think its fair to say he is the worst manager Liverpool have ever had, getting rid off the boot room etc. :(

The only reason why the likes of Carra' date=' Macca and co signed for Liverpool was becuse of contract issues, LFC offered better contracts, thus they signed for us.[/color'] Obviously Everton regretted it:D, theyv learnt from their mistakes.

Amazing how blu thru an thru carra was:eek:.

Similarly Atletico didnt have a youth setup an so Raul was rejected.

Yeah... That's how it works. This is the Business of Sport.

It doesn't matter if some manager/scout spots a talent. No points are given for that.

It doesn't matter if some youngster is a supporter of this team or not. No points are given for that.

It doesn't matter if a young player is already on your Academy roster. No points are given for that.

What matters is (1) doing whatever it takes to get & keep that kid in your youth program (same for the older guys too) and (2) having some sort of scruples in your methods for getting them in there.

dont think either of those two would have signed for us knowing that everton wanted them' date=' although the footballing talent in merseyside this past decade has been pretty poor as a whole tho[/quote']

This is likely true, but I have to believe that if kids like a young Gerrard, Fowler, Carra, etc... were signing for LFC back-in-the-day when their own fathers were Blue, that these families saw past the Red & Blue, and saw what was more important for their kids. Each and everyone of them had the kid change allegiance because they wanted them to be part of the system that Shankly had built and the attitude of the club that Shankly pushed.

It's going to be interesting to see if Comolli turns over the various scouts that have been employed @ the club. I've read of people saying that the LFC scouts who are in charge of the NW have been getting their collective assses handed to them by lesser clubs' scouts on a repeated basis.

You guys over there with an ear closer to the ground would know better than me over here on how the youth talent is in the area. I'm sure there were a few good guys we missed out on. And I think maybe the fact that young families have move elsewhere (London, etc...) since the mid-80s til today has something to do with the youth futbol drain.

Also, if I was a parent of a talented youth prospect, I can assure you that when stepping back and looking @ the development & opportunities that LFC under Moores and Hicks/GG could provide that I would entertain other offers too. Actually over the past 20 years it would take a significant leap of faith as a parent to put your kid into the Liverpool organization, because it's been difficult to understand what the organization stands for or the commonality that it teaches.

Liverpool Way

It is going to take some work & time by NESV & Comolli & Segura to get the Liverpool Way actually back into the actual way the club is run.

Unbelievable but I'd actually argue that other than the fans a pervasive Liverpool Way has dwindled away from the Club to the point where under Hicks & GG it was virtually nonexistent ... And I am talking about from the Youth system to the Scouting system to the First Team.

It's why when you ask someone what the current Liverpool Way means to them (when it comes to the actual players) that few can define it, and when they do, they have to go back half a century ago to Shankly to come up with their definition. And even then they don't come up with their own words, they quote someone else.

IMO the reason why people are calling for Kenny so much isn't because they think he's going to win us games. Rather, it is because people are asking for a restoration of lost values.

And I fully understand that looking to Kenny (or someone like him) is an absolute luxury...a luxury... that few other clubs on earth (let alone in England) have. That we actually have a point of reference. But that doesn't mean that the club has to stagnate as it did under Moores & Hicks/GG. It has to evolve while keeping an eye on that point of reference.

Hopefully we can all come together and get that again from the fans to NESV to the players.

(sorry for veering a bit off topic there...)

Henry or Rafa Benitez.... A Hypothetical Question

So there is a lot of speculation today that Benitez is about to be sacked by Moratti. I continue to believe that the guy should have taken 6 months off to cool his heels and recharge the batteries and refocus, but whatever... he took the job and it doesn't seem to be working out for a whole host of reasons (one of which are injuries).

Anyway, here's my hypothetical situation and question...

(1) Say Benitez is let go from Inter this week or next.

(2) Say that he starts making A LOT of noise that he wants to return to manage LFC

(3) Say that in his own blunt but yet somehow cryptic way calls out Henry & Comolli that he wants back in via the press & the fans

(4) Say that NESV don't make a move for him or don't initially indicate that they want to talk with him

What do you think happens in that scenario... ?

What do you think the majority of fans will think... ?

I think it's going to be really tricky for Henry & NESV over the coming month. And potentially one that could turn ugly.

Henry or Rafa Benitez.... A Hypothetical Question

So there is a lot of speculation today that Benitez is about to be sacked by Moratti. I continue to believe that the guy should have taken 6 months off to cool his heels and recharge the batteries and refocus' date=' but whatever... he took the job and it doesn't seem to be working out for a whole host of reasons (one of which are injuries).

Anyway, here's my hypothetical situation and question...

[b'](1) [/b]Say Benitez is let go from Inter this week or next.

(2) Say that he starts making A LOT of noise that he wants to return to manage LFC

(3) Say that in his own blunt but yet somehow cryptic way calls out Henry & Comolli that he wants back in via the press & the fans

(4) Say that NESV don't make a move for him or don't initially indicate that they want to talk with him

What do you think happens in that scenario... ?

What do you think the majority of fans will think... ?

I think it's going to be really tricky for Henry & NESV over the coming month. And potentially one that could turn ugly.

I don't think that there is any chance of benitez coming back at all. No chance, and i don't want him to either

I don't think that there is any chance of benitez coming back at all. No chance' date=' and i don't want him to either[/quote']

hmmm , Why not he's a great manager and as Johnny said if he was to get a break from football he would be back at his best.

If i was a Liverpool Fan , i know who i would certainly want and thats Benitez and not Hodgson.

hmmm ' date=' Why not he's a great manager and as Johnny said if he was to get a break from football he would be back at his best.

If i was a Liverpool Fan , i know who i would certainly want and thats Benitez and not Hodgson.[/quote']

benitez was terrible in his last few yers. His signings and tactics were very poor i.e never playing yossi and buying voranin and degen and el zharsubbing torres

How good has Meireles been for Liverpool since his joined? to be fair I've only seen one full game when we beat you 3-1 the other week and he looked like your best player,aside from that I've only seen bits of him so I'm not fully sure of how good of a player he is,would you say his your best player aside from Reina,Torres and Gerrard though?.

How good has Meireles been for Liverpool since his joined? to be fair I've only seen one full game when we beat you 3-1 the other week and he looked like your best player' date='aside from that I've only seen bits of him so I'm not fully sure of how good of a player he is,would you say his your best player aside from Reina,Torres and Gerrard though?.[/quote']

I would say carragher is better than him but apart from that yes. He has been quite good this season

How good has Meireles been for Liverpool since his joined? to be fair I've only seen one full game when we beat you 3-1 the other week and he looked like your best player' date='aside from that I've only seen bits of him so I'm not fully sure of how good of a player he is,would you say his your best player aside from Reina,Torres and Gerrard though?.[/quote']

I'd say that's a fair comment. Meireles and Lucas have formed a very good partnership in midfield this season. It will be interested to see what happens when Gerrard comes back. I'm expecting he'll probably slot into AM.