ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Guest Phill

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Not a Liverpool fan' date=' but surely this is a must win game ?[/quote']

Yes, It Is. Aston Villa, Man City And Tottenham All Have At Least 1 Game In Hand.

:(

Not a Liverpool fan' date=' but surely this is a must win game ?[/quote']

Yeah, we started well, and it started to run dry and ever since Wigan are dominating, 53% possession i think..:o Lets just hope we'll bring it back ay? :)

Guest Phill

2 And A Half Good Players?

2 - Johnson And Riera.

Half - Babel When He Feels Like Playing Well.

I Much Rather Lucas Than Aquilani. Shame Liverpool Couldn't Put That 20 Million We Wasted On Aquilani To Good Use, Maybe Help Lower The Debt? :)

Drop Gerrard and a bunch of the other "star" players, stick some youngsters in and let the big boys earn there places back esp with a world cup coming up that would give them a right kick in the .........

Porbably the worst I've ever seen Liverpool play really. Don't think I can recall a game when we played that bad. It just went from bad to worse, we were playing like a non league team at times with the big hoof upfield. It was as if everytime we got the ball we had to get it up the pitch quickly. No control. No composure. No confidence. Nothing, very disappointing.

I'm sure he put the wrong team out aswell. Why, in a must win game against a team fourth from bottom does Rafa feel we need two holding players? Why not play two up front with Babel or Aquilani in behind? Or play Aquilani behind and have Babel on the right and Riera on the left. Atleast then we have some pace on the flanks providing ball for two strikers. Rather than punting long balls up the pitch to a lone striker?

Baffled at how bad that was.

Drop Gerrard and a bunch of the other "star" players' date=' stick some youngsters in and let the big boys earn there places back esp with a world cup coming up that would give them a right kick in the .........[/quote']

That's exactly what I was discussing with my dad earlier. If you were to pick the National squad on form this season alone would Gerrard even get a look in? I would doubt it.

Drop Gerrard and a bunch of the other "star" players' date=' stick some youngsters in and let the big boys earn there places back esp with a world cup coming up that would give them a right kick in the .........[/quote']

Neller for manager!!!!!

well villa have 3 games in hand while were 3 points behind you.

seeing as martin oneill hasnt won a league game in march as villa manager i wouldnt count chickens

yup - the captain should be the one setting the example, yet he's clearly saving himself for the summer (notice how much better the team was in jan when he was out? and the best performance of the season against the mancs gerrard was out?), and carra had better keep his mouth shut running to his mate at the sunday sun trying to get a new deal when everyone knows he's been below par and hasnt done owt to warrant a deal taking him beyond 2011.

as for this game - awful performance and didnt deserve anything, but had we taken one of those chances early on we probably would have won it. but wigan have beaten villa and chelsea, so they aren't a poor team by any stretch of the imagination (and much better than their position in the league).

plus side of not being in the CL - some of the daytrippers will go elsewhere and league games at anfield may be enjoyable like in 2004/5 and there may be an atmosphere there. oh, and the owners might decide to go and we may have someone who can take the club forward instead of standing still when the likes of spurs and city are spending big and moving forward (even villa's net spend under oneill is greater than rafa's), but if these two muppets are still at the club dont expect league titles as we will realistically be a club looking for top 6, not top 4.

Im pretty sure we will pick at least one win up Burs ;)

Was gobsmacked with this result . . . .

There are still major issues in liverpool. IMO Benetez hasnt handled this well at all, infact his handling in my view should cost him his job. This isnt just a blip, a bit of bad luck, its going from 2nd in the prem to struggling for fourth.

Im pretty sure we will pick at least one win up Burs ;)

There are still major issues in liverpool. IMO Benetez hasnt handled this well at all' date=' infact his handling in my view should cost him his job. This isnt just a blip, a bit of bad luck, its going from 2nd in the prem to struggling for fourth.[/quote']

There's an interesting parallel to be drawn with his time at Valencia. After winning their first title they finished a comparatively lowly 5th next time out. Then they won the league again.

There's an interesting parallel to be drawn with his time at Valencia. After winning their first title they finished a comparatively lowly 5th next time out. Then they won the league again.

Managers are not allowed off seasons now tho :)

Players are never to blame or course ;)

The players to blame Neller, but managers have always took the responsibility havent they, its just the way it goes, and in the same sense, none of the achievements of the last 5 years are down to Rafa, no its all down to the players. :P

not that much of a shock considering they've beaten villa and chelsea' date=' drew with city

There are still major issues in liverpool. IMO Benetez hasnt handled this well at all, infact his handling in my view should cost him his job.

without sounding like a broken record here the problem at the club isnt benitez - its the two at the top who badly need to go as performances like tonight will be par for the course the longer those two stick around. and i'd rather see certain players (messers carragher and gerrard) go than the manager (as said earlier - the best performances this year have not included gerrard) as the former should be a squad player but he's been making noises in the press about a new contract and about how he isnt scared to leave liverpool (with some of his performances this year i wouldnt be overly sad if he did tbh) and the latter seems more interested with the inevitable failure that is the england national team. and its the second defeat of the year in the league, and the first could well have not happened if it wasnt for the cheating little turd fabregas

and besides, what rafa's done in the previous years gives him at least one bad year - after all he's raised the bar massively (far higher than the revisionists in the press would make people believe) and with the work he's doing with the youth setup where for the first time in years there are youth players who fans are genuinely excited about (pacheco, dalla valle, kelly), and my fear is that another coach would neglect that, and that is a key area to help us succeed as we have two owners that use the club profits to pay for their unwelcome stay (net transfer spend <£0 the last 4 windows)

This isnt just a blip' date=' a bit of bad luck, its going from 2nd in the prem to struggling for fourth.[/quote']

and a large part of that can be down to lack of investment - as said earlier the net spend is less than zero the last 4 windows - the likes of villa, city and spurs its far greater, and when other clubs are able to improve on what they have and you are basically forced to recycle what you have you stand still, whereas the others move forward you'll fall back - i'll bet any money that if the mancs spend fairly little in the summer (esp with the likely loss of vidic) they'll drop back next season. although it doesnt totally excuse what's gone on this year (yes, everyone at the club should have done better) it does explain part of the reason.

and before you mention arsenal and their very low net spend (which i am sure you will ;)) - wenger's had over 10 years to work on his youth policy/youth scouting network and its bearing fruit after his first 6 or so years the club barely having any youth prospects come through the ranks. rafa's been in charge of the youth policies since the summer, and he realistically cant be expected to churn out as many young players as arsenal have done in the last 5 years or so (after all wenger did spend a fair bit in his early years to make up for the poor youth system inherited)

and if memory serves me correctly quite a lot of people wanted him to be fired as well

It's a tough one to call. He's obviously not done particularly well this season, but he does have some goodwill built up from a Champions League win and masterminding a sustained title bid for the first time in a fair few years last season. And one bad season doesn't make a bad manager. On the flipside the football the team is playing at the moment isn't exactly earning him any style or excitement points either.

I'd probably lean toward keeping him on, I hate the blame culture and lack of trigger finger mentality of the modern game. Though if I were a paying customer watching that every week I might be edging closer to the other school of thought. From where I'm looking at it I do tend to wonder whether when it's all weighed up at the end of the season, Aquilani might just be the noose that hangs him.

not that much of a shock considering they've beaten villa and chelsea, drew with city

Your really clutching at straws here, they havent won in the last 9 !

And they beat us first game of the season, how long ago was that ! :eek:

without sounding like a broken record here the problem at the club isnt benitez - its the two at the top who badly need to go as performances like tonight will be par for the course the longer those two stick around. and i'd rather see certain players (messers carragher and gerrard) go than the manager (as said earlier - the best performances this year have not included gerrard) as the former should be a squad player but he's been making noises in the press about a new contract and about how he isnt scared to leave liverpool (with some of his performances this year i wouldnt be overly sad if he did tbh) and the latter seems more interested with the inevitable failure that is the england national team. and its the second defeat of the year in the league, and the first could well have not happened if it wasnt for the cheating little turd fabregas

and besides, what rafa's done in the previous years gives him at least one bad year - after all he's raised the bar massively (far higher than the revisionists in the press would make people believe) and with the work he's doing with the youth setup where for the first time in years there are youth players who fans are genuinely excited about (pacheco, dalla valle, kelly), and my fear is that another coach would neglect that, and that is a key area to help us succeed as we have two owners that use the club profits to pay for their unwelcome stay (net transfer spend <£0 the last 4 windows)

and a large part of that can be down to lack of investment - as said earlier the net spend is less than zero the last 4 windows - the likes of villa, city and spurs its far greater, and when other clubs are able to improve on what they have and you are basically forced to recycle what you have you stand still, whereas the others move forward you'll fall back - i'll bet any money that if the mancs spend fairly little in the summer (esp with the likely loss of vidic) they'll drop back next season. although it doesnt totally excuse what's gone on this year (yes, everyone at the club should have done better) it does explain part of the reason.

and before you mention arsenal and their very low net spend (which i am sure you will ;)) - wenger's had over 10 years to work on his youth policy/youth scouting network and its bearing fruit after his first 6 or so years the club barely having any youth prospects come through the ranks. rafa's been in charge of the youth policies since the summer, and he realistically cant be expected to churn out as many young players as arsenal have done in the last 5 years or so (after all wenger did spend a fair bit in his early years to make up for the poor youth system inherited)

I know he isnt the only one to blame, but unfortunately for you, he doesnt have stability like the owners do.

Regarding the youth setup, Rafa was horrendously slow at changing this, and although he inherited a below acceptable academy, he didnt turn it around quick enough did he. He must shoulder some of the blame.

IMO he isnt the man for Liverpool now, but thats just my opinion, and its not just based on one bad performance tonight, its how he has managed this blip, his decision making, and your teams performance.

I think Rafa has another season in him' date=' if he dosn't turn it around next season thou then maybe we should look at replacing him, might be worth seeing if MoN wants to come to a big club if fate plays that hand[/quote']

Christ id be peeved if that happened, i dont think its as simple a decision as some would think, knowing what he has already done so far for Villa. But Liverpool is Liverpool :(

one of the reasons why i am in the 'keep rafa' camp (and also the 'get rid of certain players who blatantly have given up' camp) is 3 years ago when they were going to get rid of him - who were they looking at - a newly available mourinho who has said in the past he'd love the liverpool job? hiddink? no, jurgen klinsmann, the same klinsmann who completely failed at bayern munich. so in all honesty i couldnt trust them to hire someone good enough for a midtable team, never mind one that they percieve as an 'elite' club as they'd hire a lackey who'd happily manage liverpool and wouldnt kick up a fuss if they sold a torres/mascherano/reina to pay themselves a dividend and when they leave they will end up on the after-dinner circuit and earn a bit extra as an ex-LFC manager instead of someone who is either a top drawer manager or even a young manager with potential to be very good (like a prandelli or dare i say it martinez)

Regarding the youth setup' date=' Rafa was horrendously slow at changing this, and although he inherited a below acceptable academy, he didnt turn it around quick enough did he. He must shoulder some of the blame.[/quote']

he's been in charge of the academy since may 2009!!!!

its how he has managed this blip

what is this blip - we've lost 2 of the last 11 and won 6 of them!!

Christ id be peeved if that happened' date=' i dont think its as simple a decision as some would think, knowing what he has already done so far for Villa. But Liverpool is Liverpool :([/quote']

slightly off topic but hasnt lerner told oneill that he has to sell before he buys now (and will lose his 'best owner in the prem tag' in the bargain)?

What shocked me is that you lot are still 3/1 to make the top 4. City are 5/4, whilst Villa are 7/2 and Spurs 4/1.

As for the problems, it starts at the top. Strong parallels with Leeds in some respects, Risdale (who has now bankrupt Cardiff as well :)) was to blame, but most still associate O'Leary and his book with the troubles.

Can you afford, in monetary terms, to not make the CL?

Can you afford' date=' in monetary terms, to not make the CL?[/quote']

personally i think we'd be ok with one season out of it provided that we get in the next year, but the two cancers have been told to pay off £100m this summer of the loan to reduce the debt:value ratio (if the club misses out on CL football they'd probably want even more, sell someone like torres and the value drops so they'd want more repayed) and purslow's admitted that they wont put a penny of their own money into paying it off (rumours are that to pay off some of last years repayment gillett took a high interest hedge fund loan to pay it off, as well as taking away the transfer money as well as the robbie keane money). in a way the only positive of missing out is that it might wake those two idiots up that the club isnt as valuable (£400m+ according to investor prospectuses) as they think it is and they hopefully will sell it at a more realistic price (£200-250m), and of course league games might be a bit more enjoyable.

basically, the club is rotten at the core and the only way how i can see it moving forward is getting those two out, sadly the fans are too apathetic and quite a few think its all rafa's fault when the thing that is really stopping the club progressing and holding it back are the two people at the top (and btw, i expect there to be a change in the ownership structure this summer, but i dont expect it to happen until the last possible moment)