Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Lets bury the hatchet and be friends. As a parting gift heres an ode I found on another forum.

Scousers are red the other teams blue

sorry to say they are higher than you

You got rid of Rafa and those **** Yanks

Now you have no one to go and say thanks

For getting you up into the that quality four

You now want to show the new boss the door

Relegation is looming oh what a mess

The next thing is NESV out I guess

Torres and Reina will leave you real soon

The Anfield Kop will be covered in gloom

Carragher, and Gerrard have all had their day

So hopefully soon they will no longer play

The MANCs will be cheering and so will us all

Because by next season you will be leaving them all

To Championship football is where you will be

So lets see how full you stadium will be

Then with no wonga and even less fans

That will scupper all your great plans

No new stadium your ground just a mess

Championship football forever I guess.

No more big games on European nights

No big cash for those sponsorship rights

No more large wonga from that TV deal

Financial stress is what you will feel

Your team will be then forever more

Banging on that relegation door

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Missed the boat IMO. You should have got rid last summer (possibly after seeing how useless Hodgson was in the market) and you could have got a very decent sum for him (£60m?). Right now he's worth similar to what you paid for him considering his form and Liverpool's position. To state the obvious' date=' £60m could have got you 3 or 4 very good players and despite not having Fernando, you could be in a much better position than you are now.[/quote']

he only knows how to get O.K player bargains, he does'nt know how to spend a lot of money.

Missed the boat IMO. You should have got rid last summer (possibly after seeing how useless Hodgson was in the market) and you could have got a very decent sum for him (£60m?). Right now he's worth similar to what you paid for him considering his form and Liverpool's position. To state the obvious' date=' £60m could have got you 3 or 4 very good players and despite not having Fernando, you could be in a much better position than you are now.[/quote']

Liverpools position wouldn't have any bearing on his price, but his lack of form does and we would be lucky to get 20-25 mill for him at the moment, unless selling to another Prem club then that price would double as Prem to Prem sales are vastly overpriced for all transfers

That £60M would have slid right into Hicks/GG's threadbare pockets, and no transfers would have been made with the money.

LFC's hands were tied this summer with the club sale / debt default looming.

They had two biggish-money transfer available to them, and that was well spent on Meireles (although I'd argue that we slightly over paid).

The rest of the money was wasted on Brad Friggin' Jones (BY FAR the absolute WORST trade in the EPL of 2010), Konchesky, and Poulson.

Liverpools position wouldn't have any bearing on his price' date=' but his lack of form does and we would be lucky to get 20-25 mill for him at the moment, unless selling to another Prem club then that price would double as Prem to Prem sales are vastly overpriced for all transfers[/quote']

Position definitely has a bearing on price as the player is perhaps more inclined to move to a better side. There's not much better in the football world than consistent top 4 finishes in the Premier League but you become a mid-table/Europa League club and prices drop (unless as you say, you sell to other PL clubs, as most do).

That £60M would have slid right into Hicks/GG's threadbare pockets' date=' and no transfers would have been made with the money.

LFC's hands were tied this summer with the club sale / debt default looming.

They had two biggish-money transfer available to them, and that was well spent on Meireles (although I'd argue that we slightly over paid).

The rest of the money was wasted on Brad Friggin' Jones (BY FAR the absolute WORST trade in the EPL of 2010), Konchesky, and Poulson.[/quote']

Fair point on H & G that I'd completely overlooked :o My point, in essence remains that there's no point selling Torres now as his market value at the moment is about as low as it could possibly be.

Position definitely has a bearing on price as the player is perhaps more inclined to move to a better side. There's not much better in the football world than consistent top 4 finishes in the Premier League but you become a mid-table/Europa League club and prices drop (unless as you say' date=' you sell to other PL clubs, as most do).

Fair point on H & G that I'd completely overlooked :o My point, in essence remains that there's no point selling Torres now as his market value at the moment is about as low as it could possibly be.[/quote']

To be honest the last few pages have been so childish it is untrue......

Man United are a better team than us, nobody can argue.

Johnson and Rafael are woeful defenders but excellent going forward.

The Torres issue is in a way out of our hands, I keep telling everybody who will listen and I know this is true, he has a clause in his contract guarenteeing he can leave if we dont finish in the Champions League places with a set amount in place, this also applies to Reina. Whether we get the price in the contract for Torres now is debateable, if he wants to go sell him think we can bank 30m for him still and reinvest in the side. The clause in Reina's contract is 20m.

Some of our fans are pretty deluded though, the squad is poor, really poor, all this talk we should be challenging top 4 why??? because our name is Liverpool :confused: Nobody has a devine right.

The rot set in the day Hicks and Gilette turned up, or rther the day Moores agreed to sell to them and has been a car crash ever since. With our squad the VERY BEST we can hope for is 6th said it at the start of the season. Even that is debateable in terms of squad "depth" you could argue a few other teams are just as strong. I got laughed out of town when I said I fancied Sunderland to have a good season but they are proving a decent side, they have a good mix and a lot of qualities in there side we desperately lack (strength up front,width) We have three world-class players in Reina, Gerrard and Torres(if he evr decides to put everything in again, I love the guy but be honest he aint giving everything to the cause) We have 3-4 other decent players in Agger(if ever stays fit) Carra, and some triers in Lucas and Kuyt but that is nowhere near enough.

Jones,Aurelio,Skrtel,Kyriakos,Konchesky,Johnson,Poulsen,Spearing,Babel,Jovanovic,Joe Cole (he's gone) Lucas,N'Gog,Maxi,Kuyt none of them are good enough im sorry but its true. Lucas and Kuyt get some kinda respite from me because at least they put the effort in but at the top level im sorry but work-rate is not the quality that is gunna win things.

The rest of the squad is dross, I could give a detailed reason why but I said it over a year ago and it still applies now. WE are not an elite side anymore, we have a MASSIVE restructuring which will take years to achieve if achieveable at all.......all of you best get used to it and accept it fast because as sad as it makes me its the truth whatever way you might wanna spin it.

To be honest the last few pages have been so childish it is untrue......

Man United are a better team than us' date=' nobody can argue.

Johnson and Rafael are woeful defenders but excellent going forward.

The Torres issue is in a way out of our hands, I keep telling everybody who will listen and I know this is true, he has a clause in his contract guarenteeing he can leave if we dont finish in the Champions League places with a set amount in place, this also applies to Reina. Whether we get the price in the contract for Torres now is debateable, if he wants to go sell him think we can bank 30m for him still and reinvest in the side. The clause in Reina's contract is 20m.

Some of our fans are pretty deluded though, the squad is poor, really poor, all this talk we should be challenging top 4 why??? because our name is Liverpool :confused: Nobody has a devine right.

The rot set in the day Hicks and Gilette turned up, or rther the day Moores agreed to sell to them and has been a car crash ever since. With our squad the VERY BEST we can hope for is 6th said it at the start of the season. Even that is debateable in terms of squad "depth" you could argue a few other teams are just as strong. I got laughed out of town when I said I fancied Sunderland to have a good season but they are proving a decent side, they have a good mix and a lot of qualities in there side we desperately lack (strength up front,width) We have three world-class players in Reina, Gerrard and Torres(if he evr decides to put everything in again, I love the guy but be honest he aint giving everything to the cause) We have 3-4 other decent players in Agger(if ever stays fit) Carra, and some triers in Lucas and Kuyt but that is nowhere near enough.

Jones,Aurelio,Skrtel,Kyriakos,Konchesky,Johnson,Poulsen,Spearing,Babel,Jovanovic,Joe Cole (he's gone) Lucas,N'Gog,Maxi,Kuyt none of them are good enough im sorry but its true. Lucas and Kuyt get some kinda respite from me because at least they put the effort in but at the top level im sorry but work-rate is not the quality that is gunna win things.

The rest of the squad is dross, I could give a detailed reason why but I said it over a year ago and it still applies now. WE are not an elite side anymore, we have a MASSIVE restructuring which will take years to achieve if achieveable at all.......all of you best get used to it and accept it fast because as sad as it makes me its the truth whatever way you might wanna spin it.[/quote']

Your squad isn't that bad IF it was used properly,it's been badly mismanaged by Roy and Rafa did as well by not playing players in there proper positions,you only have three out and out forwards at the club now in Pacheco,N'gog and Torres,as Roy won't use Pacheco for some unknown reason,this makes me wonder why Jovanovic has always been played as a left sided midfielder since joining Liverpool,despite constantly been a striker at Standard Liege.

Joe Cole has seemingly also been played on the left wing on a lot of occasions his been fit,despite always playing his best football in behind the striker,I could understand him playing on the left if Gerrard was in behind Torres but they have hardly been on the same pitch together so this isn't the case,also I'm sure Raul Meireles played on the Right Wing against Bolton despite clearly been and out and out CM,infact when him and Gerrard have both been fit you have never played them both in Central Midfield positions.

This is a shame as they'd be the best partnership you'd have on the pitch but Roy has never deployed them this way,also bringing back Aurelio and never playing him is a strange one,I feel him and Insua are much better left backs than Konchesky but yet neither have been used in this way,Aurelio is a good solid left back and much secure than Konchesky in that position,he would also offer you an additional threat from set pieces with his free kicks,also Roy committed one of the worst piece of transfer business I have ever seen in bringing in Poulsen from Juventus,Juventus were desperate to offload this guy and noone wanted him,you brought him for £4 Million but yet Juventus would have probably took £400,000 if you offered that to them,Poulsen was brilliant at Sevilla but never delivered at Juve,his best position is a DM but his never been used in this role once,he plays a CM and is expected to play an expansive passing game which he simply doesn't have,if you used by a proper manager he'd be simply the man to retain possession and let Meireles and Gerrard play the balls to setup the attacks.

Of course this doesn't take into account the worst part which is the fact you loaned out Aqualiani to Juventus,I didn't think he was the man to replace Alonso for sure but he was still a quality player and a much needed one in the midfield,in the summer Roy basically sold Mascherano (17 million) and Aqualiani (loan) and brought in Poulsen and Meireles to replace them,I like Meireles but that's still poor business whichever way you look at it.

Also your central defence badly needs sorting out,Carragher and Skrtel are OK aerially but constantly get exposed by pace,they'd perhaps be a good partnership in Serie A but they aren't quick enough for the Premiership.

Anyway,If used right you could have a first team like this:

Reina

Kelly Agger Skrtel Aurelio

Johnson Meireles Gerrard Maxi

Cole

Torres

it's not that bad of a side is it?

Anyway' date='If used right you could have a first team like this:

Reina

Cole

Torres

it's not that bad of a side is it?[/quote']

Sorry for deleting the rest of your post :o Too long to quote :P

The squad at the moment is being mismanaged but the players aren't great at all. The striker issue should have been resolved by Benitez years ago. Torres has been the only long-term option for ages.

Cole and Meireles I don't understand. I'm guessing much of it is to do with Gerrard throwing his considerable metaphorical weight around the changing room though. Liverpool have far too many good CM/AMs compared to the amount of decent wingers they have. This also can't really be blamed on Hodgson as he's only had one window to change the squad but it's his fault players are being played where they're best not playing.

Konchesky and Poulsen were atrocious signings. Even Hodgson's biggest fans should be able to appreciate that.

I think it's unfair to blame Roy for Mascherano's departure. He'd clearly had his head turned by Barca and you aren't going to turn down an opportunity like that. Sending Aquilani away was bad business but imagine if he'd stayed. You'd have him, Gerrard, Cole and Maxi vying for their favoured spot. You could argue he shouldn't have bought Cole but he was on a free and most people (including most Liverpool fans) saw it as good business at the time.

Neller made a squad comparison a while ago where he said Carragher under Benitez/Houllier = that under Hodgson. That isn't the case as he's lost so much pace. He's still one of your better defenders though but some sort of replacement needs to being brought in sooner rather than later. I don't get Skrtel. Tend to think he's useless though. Soto's better IMO but neither have enough pace.

Finally, the side above isn't bad but as Ray says, it should be aiming for 6th :o Spurs and City have both improved to the scale that they're now better teams, especially when the Liverpool players that need to perform aren't doing so.

Anyway' date='If used right you could have a first team like this:

Reina

Cole

Torres

it's not that bad of a side is it?[/quote']

yup - 6th should be the absolute bare minimum with this group of players, and if we can keep our key players and make some good additions, get rid of the likes of pfk/cole/poulsen/carragher and promote some of the younger players and get a good enough manager in this summer i cant see why we cant get top 4 again - there are good players here, just woefully misused this season (look at some of the games where we've dropped points this season and compare them to last season (blackpool/sunderland/wolves at home, everton/stoke/blackburn away - those 6 fixtures we are 13 points worse off this season, the same points total as last season and we'd be 4th with a game in hand on arsenal and two on city, win those and we'd be 2nd) - if we'd kept at a similar level to the 'terrible' season last year we'd be in athe top 4 right now instead of 4 points off the bottom) - and seeing as some will think this is crazy, look at where spurs finished in 07/08 and 08/09 and where they were last season and this season, and look at how many of their players who are doing well for them now were there in 07/08 and 08/09

the annoying thing is had we had a good manager with the way the league is this season we'd be right up there now - after all last season we were panned for 'massively underachieving' (in the press and on here, something I agree with) and now 'its a poor team' all of a sudden (which it isnt, despite what the likes of hansen say about the same group of players they tipped to win the league in the summer of 2009)

The striker issue should have been resolved by Benitez years ago. Torres has been the only long-term option for ages.

do you think its easy to get a good quality player to basically sit on the bench to back up torres' date=' esp when you cant pay £70k+ a week for backups like chelsea/man united/city can? crouch was prepared to stay as a backup but wanted £70k, we could only offer at a stretch £50k and off he went, sadly when it comes to getting established quality players to accept being backups you've got to pay them big money there who have some talent and could possibly develop into a quality player

Cole and Meireles I don't understand. I'm guessing much of it is to do with Gerrard throwing his considerable metaphorical weight around the changing room though.

yup (ditto for carragher), sadly gerrard has had the likes of winter and gray fill his head with shyte for years that he's this great centre midfielder even though his best seasons came as an attacking midfielder and he's a pretty average centre midfielder. for some reason he hasnt realised this, nor that there is a reason why benitez and capello dont play him centre mid, or him playing in centre mid has broken up arguably the best strike partnership in the prem so he can feed his ego by doing his roy of the rovers act, despite it massively hurting the team, and of course him getting his preferred coach in the summer has caused untold amounts of damage, but hey, HE GETS TO PLAY CENTRE MID NOW - BOSS THAT!!!!

hopefully hodgsons replacement puts gerrard back in his place and remind him that he is a player, not player manager and if he doesnt like that he goes. which tbh would be the best thing for the club

Liverpool have far too many good CM/AMs compared to the amount of decent wingers they have. This also can't really be blamed on Hodgson as he's only had one window to change the squad but it's his fault players are being played where they're best not playing.

fair point - we were playing higher up the pitch so you dont need pace merchants on the wings but we have good pace at FB to overlap. problem is that hodgson teams play deeper and more counterattack where the fullbacks dont get as far forward as often, thus you need more pace on the wings (which baffles me why jovanovic and babel dont get more game time), so instead of adapting to this he tries to impose things on players that just wont work continually

but they have gotten too old on the flanks - the age balance of the squad rafa left behind was pretty much good bar the wings, hopefully that will be rectified soon

Sorry for deleting the rest of your post :o Too long to quote :P

The squad at the moment is being mismanaged but the players aren't great at all. The striker issue should have been resolved by Benitez years ago. Torres has been the only long-term option for ages.

Cole and Meireles I don't understand. I'm guessing much of it is to do with Gerrard throwing his considerable metaphorical weight around the changing room though. Liverpool have far too many good CM/AMs compared to the amount of decent wingers they have. This also can't really be blamed on Hodgson as he's only had one window to change the squad but it's his fault players are being played where they're best not playing.

Konchesky and Poulsen were atrocious signings. Even Hodgson's biggest fans should be able to appreciate that.

I think it's unfair to blame Roy for Mascherano's departure. He'd clearly had his head turned by Barca and you aren't going to turn down an opportunity like that. Sending Aquilani away was bad business but imagine if he'd stayed. You'd have him' date=' Gerrard, Cole and Maxi vying for their favoured spot. You could argue he shouldn't have bought Cole but he was on a free and most people (including most Liverpool fans) saw it as good business at the time.

Neller made a squad comparison a while ago where he said Carragher under Benitez/Houllier = that under Hodgson. That isn't the case as he's lost so much pace. He's still one of your better defenders though but some sort of replacement needs to being brought in sooner rather than later. I don't get Skrtel. Tend to think he's useless though. Soto's better IMO but neither have enough pace.

Finally, the side above isn't bad but as Ray says, it should be aiming for 6th :o Spurs and City have both improved to the scale that they're now better teams, especially when the Liverpool players that need to perform aren't doing so.[/quote']

I admit that I think Liverpool don't have a squad currently as good as the top 5 but it is a good squad,still they should be in the running for the Champions League places considering the way the squad is and how the season has panned out,they should be competing against a Chelsea side in dissaray,a Spurs side that will never be consistent and will always drop points,and a City side that plays defensively so will always be prone to picking up one point instead of getting all three,yet at there current rate I can't even see Liverpool finishing above Sunderland or Bolton,I think Liverpool will lose 5 fixtures of the remaining 18 fixtures and is Liverpool losing 14 fixtures really good enough?,this isn't the greatest Liverpool side by a long way but it's still a good one and one capable of been in and around the top five,if Sunderland can be two points of Chelsea then why can't Liverpool?.

I don't blame Roy for Mascherano's departure at all,I think he was going to leave regardless of who came in and I can't blame him at all for wanting to go to Barcelona,still although Meireles was an adequate replacement he hasn't been utilized well enough in my opinion,also I bet Juventus was laughing all the way to the bank when they got rid of Poulsen and then sold Aqualiani as well,also Maxi wouldn't play as a CM which is Aqualiani's position,I also consider Cole as more of an AM player,and I think Aqua would have been competing with Meireles,Lucas and Gerrard for a CM spot which is good competition for the two spots they have.

Also whilst Benitez was in charge he did bring in Crouch and Bellamy for Striking positions,however due to finances he had to sell them both whilst at the club,I think most Liverpool fans would be happy with either as backup now to be honest,I don't think Roy walked into the best of situations but his still massively underachieved with what he has at his disposal.

1. Jones -

2. Johnson -

3. Konchesky -

4. Meireles -

5. Agger -

6. Aurelio -

8. Gerrard -

9. Torres -

10. J Cole -

12. Pacheco -

14. Jovanovic -

16. Kyrgiakos

17. Maxi

18. Kuyt

19. Babel

21. Lucas

22. D Wilson

23. Carragher

24. Ngog

25. Reina

26. Spearing

28. Poulsen

33. Shelvey

34. Kelly

37. Skrtel

- Aquilani

- Degen

- El Zhar

- Insua

BLUE = Sell

RED = Keep, Core of first team!

ORANGE - Keep for now but sell eventually

GREEN - Future talent

BUY : First choice LB, 2 First Choice Wingers,First Choice CB, A good back up ST

Would leave something like this, 2nd choice in Brackets

-------------------------------Reina(New Young GK)----------------------------

Johnson (Kelly)---New CB (Carragher/Wilson)--Agger(Skrtel/Kyrgiakos)---NEW LB(Aurelio/Insua)

----------------Lucas (New young DM?)-------Meireles(Shelvey/Aquilani)---------------

NEW RW(Kuyt/Maxi)-------Gerrard(Pacheco/Shelvey/Cole)-------NEW LW(Cole/Maxi)

--------------------------------Torres (N'Gog/New ST)-----------------------------

Club legend Kenny Dalglish will assume control of team matters for Sunday's third round FA Cup tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

will he inspire them to a win against man.u? If the game was at anfield i would be confident but since it's at old trafford im not so confident....

this sounds good to me

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-to-beat-arsenal-to-signing-of-9m-italy-defender

Club legend Kenny Dalglish will assume control of team matters for Sunday's third round FA Cup tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford. :):)

I just want to say Thanks to Roy for his attempts in the job in very difficult circumstances. He has not got the results he perhaps should have but he has been hampered by no end of reasons. He is a decent man a man of integrity, class and dignity and those traits are hard to find in many people nowdays. I honestly dont think he was given the tools to have a fair crack of the whip but that is all gone now. I personally wish him all the best for the future and hold in contempt some of the idiots who have gone way over the top in there criticism (grafitti on the walls etc) some of the personal vitirol I have seen on various sites,forums etc

I really hope Kenny dont take over for the simple reason that if he takes over this shower for a period of time then I can see it tainting his legacy. Whoever manages this lot will struggle, Dalglish is a great perhaps arguably the greatest Liverpool player of all time but if he struggles if given a run I think his legacy will be tainted. Dont take the job Kenny even on a temporary basis been out of the game to long, football has moved on to such an extent that it will be very difficult for anybody who has been out of the game so long to succeed.

Everybody can get excited but in reality it changes little IMO, the squad the playing staff is a shambles, As I have been saying for well over a year it will take a lot of money, time and patience to even get close to being an elite level club again. There aint no quick fix.

Finally :)

I still wish Hodgson the best as he is a very nice guy and he did try his best and did want the best for LFC he just simply wasnt right for this job and his CV proves as much, but he will be a success at another club.

I don't think we will beat the mancs at OT and I don't think we will all of a sudden start flying up the table we still need a lot of rebuilding, but I just really thought with Roy in charge we was NEVER going to improve like we should.

Kenny is in charge until the end of the season so lets see if the performances do pick up a bit, in many ways Kenny is taking a big risk taking charge incase things dont pick up.

Having said that if the players dont improve the one thing that won't happen is Kenny won't get booed it will be the players in for the fans wrath.

1st thing he needs to do is get Torres going again if he can do that results will improve anyway.

We still have a good side regardless what others are saying, with this same squad last season Rafa nearly got us 4th place even after what was considered a disatser of a season and we looked nothing like as bad as we are now but all of a sudden we have a bad squad which should finish mid table... give me a break.

wouldnt mind but it was the same people who called Rafa a bad manager saying we have horrible players now, it just doesn't make sense lol , has to be one or the other surely.

anyways thats all over now, good luck Kenny for the rest of the season :)

Oh dear. Dalglish is a real step up.

Spot on mate,I don't rate Roy at all but can't see Kenny making much of a difference,still once the 6 months go badly it should stop Liverpool fans clamouring for him and John Henry will also be liked from the fans for listening to them.

If Henry/Werner thinks the season is over which I'm guessing they do then I can fully understand the decision,it's almost a win/win situation from there perspective.

Thing is Newcastle fans called deluded when Keegan came back but most people didn't want him back,Dalglish hasn't managed for 10 years after a brief stint at Celtic,football has changed hugely since then and I doubt he will make any impact at all to be honest aside from keeping most of the fans happy.