Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Got up before the crows were out to make the long trip to Manchester only to see the game ruined within 1 minute of the start :mad:. Why does the English FA not get the hint that this man should not be refereeing Man U - Liverpool encounters? Or perhaps the English FA are not being given a choice :eek:;)

In other news, Howard Webb was delighted to hear his services were to be further recognised in the form of an award. Having already been named in the Queen's 2011 honours list to be awarded an MBE for his services to football, he looked delighted to be announced as an MFE. This exclusive award has already been awarded to various men connected in the football world such as Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis and many members of the FA's chief executive board, but Webb now becomes the latest to be awarded the 'Member of the Ferguson Empire' award for dedicated services towards Manchester United. He admitted in an interview after yesterday's game "I'm delighted to have finally received this recognition, although I did believe personally it was long overdue".

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

I know you are very happy about Dalglish coming back but in my opinion this is quite similar to when Sam Allardyce got sacked at Newcastle. I don't think Liverpool are going to be transformed overnight because it will take a while to clear the debris so to speak. There are too many players on big wages who are not performing and it will be a few years until they can all be moved on.

I know you are very happy about Dalglish coming back but in my opinion this is quite similar to when Sam Allardyce got sacked at Newcastle. I don't think Liverpool are going to be transformed overnight because it will take a while to clear the debris so to speak. There are too many players on big wages who are not performing and it will be a few years until they can all be moved on.

I think most of the sensible fans see it this way too :) . Dalglish is a legend, but he won't be able to save our season with the current crop of players. Quite frankly, this season is a write-off already and with no realistic prospect of even coming close to the CL places, Dalglish as a caretaker was the best option possible. I'm hoping his job will be to weedle out the players who don't have the passion to play for this football club and are only here for the status/the money. Briningi n a new man at this stage whilst the dry-rot of players was still on board would have been counter-productive as the new man would have been likely to give all the players a chance and would probably have been demotivated at what he saw. It's much better we get these players out before a new man comes in and there's no one better than that, than someone who is already part of the club and has seen first hand most of this season's performances. Dalglish also clearly isn't the sort of person who would mince his words as we've already seen and no-doubt will give the kick-up-the-backside that so many of players need.

All this talk of Dalglish the saviour etc. is yet again more media tripe. The overwhelming cohort of Liverpool fans know he's unlikely to be a long-term appointment, but at the same time he certainly can get our ship back in order from the mutiny that's seemingly been going on for a while now from certain members of the playing staff. It's a win-win for the board. If he deos well and exceeds expectations, then great. If he doesn't, you've got a man in charge who has the best interests of the club at heart and would step aside if things are not going well. And most of all they've got a man who has the backing of all the fans, probably for the first time in over a year. And if the financial backing comes forward from the owners, we'll have a unifed board, manager, fanbase (and fingers crossed playing staff) for the first time in many years :)

Got up before the crows were out to make the long trip to Manchester only to see the game ruined within 1 minute of the start :mad:. Why does the English FA not get the hint that this man should not be refereeing Man U - Liverpool encounters? Or perhaps the English FA are not being given a choice :eek:;)

In other news' date=' Howard Webb was delighted to hear his services were to be further recognised in the form of an award. Having already been named in the Queen's 2011 honours list to be awarded an MBE for his services to football, he looked delighted to be announced as an MFE. This exclusive award has already been awarded to various men connected in the football world such as Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis and many members of the FA's chief executive board, but Webb now becomes the latest to be awarded the 'Member of the Ferguson Empire' award for dedicated services towards Manchester United. He admitted in an interview after yesterday's game "I'm delighted to have finally received this recognition, although I did believe personally it was long overdue".[/quote']

I didn't take you as quite such a cynic, Doc...

With all the stuff about Man U yesterday I forgot to say that finally I agree with something that Neil Warnock has said. Usually he is one of the morons of football talking nonsense to get on TV because he is too poor a manager to ever get in the spotlight.

But his comments about Diouf were spot on, about time someone came out and said it.

1) No Pen Full Stop

2) Gerrard got the ball first and went across, not through, his man who himself was too slow/not brave enough, and actually made contact with Gerrards' heels. Whether or not Gerrard should go in that hard, with 2 feet, is debatable (these days :(), but he won the ball...BTW, How many Man U players does it take to rush the ref? That too is illegal, but no-one is ever cautioned...:confused:

3) Someone buy Torres a sunlamp and prozac. I think he has SAD. Despite his ability and whatever his aspirations, what happened to self respect and professional pride? To see a world beater, (barely) functioning at around 15% with such poor body language for so long is hard to fathom/stomach. Someone needs to take him out for a good few pints or something.

4) Kenny and Clarke to reintroduce the idea of pride in the club. Call me old fashioned, but certain modern millionaires are such sheltered prima donnas that they don't know owt.

5) Like the idea of Kelly at RB and Johnson RM!

2) Gerrard got the ball first and went across' date=' not through, his man who himself was too slow/not brave enough, and actually made contact with Gerrards' heels. [b']Whether or not Gerrard should go in that hard, with 2 feet, is debatable [/b](these days :(), but he won the ball...BTW, How many Man U players does it take to rush the ref? That too is illegal, but no-one is ever cautioned...:confused:

No, it's not debatable in the slightest. It was a horrific tackle and a worthy red card.

No' date=' it's not debatable in the slightest. It was a horrific tackle and a worthy red card.[/quote']

It could have been horrific had his angle of approach been different or had his man actually been in the way...;)

Its a similar question to how many yards does Reina run from his goal to speak to the ref ?? :rolleyes:

As with the above, my point is that it was not a "HORROR TACKLE", so if you are going to do him on the 2 feet technicality, then technicalities should be applied all round, Reina included. And I do not mean just in this match but in all. Particularly with the rushing at the ref ,swearing and begging for cards to be shown, and simulation. Then perhaps we can again have a game where men (players and supporters alike) can take pride in their clubs. Old fashioned rant over! ;)

What Carrick was doing was slightly similar to what Gerrard was doing.
Rubbish. Gerrard was off the ground with 2 feet; Carrick on the ground with 1 foot.

Well, I did say slightly... :P

the pen was a dive without a doubt, although Agger gave him the chance to do so, so is also to blame, was still an OT decision tho to not even bother going by the linesman and calling it from where he couldnt even see what was going on, regardless who this happened to they wouldnt be happy, had we got that pen the mancs would also be going mad.

they had one last season when Valnecia was fouled outside the box and got a pen for it, getting a bit old now.

The red card was 100% right it doesn't matter what people think is a red and what isnt or if people think it was a good tackle, got the ball or w/e if players leave the ground (let alone with 2 feet) its a red card end off thats the laws of the game and have to be enforced its no different to just hitting someone its an auto red.

Happy with the performance yesterday though, players looked a lot more interested, was pleased with Babel when he came on also.

Derby on Sunday

Am stoked to see the place on fire this coming Sunday. Absolutely-f-ing-stoked...! The place is going to be dripping Red with banners and flags and scarves. I am completely envious of those of you who are going to be here. Completely envious... and excited for you. Can't wait to see the look on Henry's & Werner's & Linda's faces when they get to experience that particular environment for the first time. The place is going to be on absolute FIRE...!

Trying to Read the CEO Tea Leaves..... Ian Ayre

One of the more interesting statements for me over the past few days was Kenny's statement after he was hired :

Q:
What was your immediate reaction when you were asked to step in and help the club out?

A:
...... My situation never changed. I was there to be of help to the football club and
if
John
and
Tom
and
Ian Ayre
and
Damien
were happy to offer me the position
then there was no way I could be disrespectful and not take it. ......

The thing that struck me in this statement was why even mention Ian Ayre...?

I realize that in the power vacuum that existed before Henry/NESV came on board that Ian was an important player in more than just the Commercial Director role. I also realize that today he currently continues to have a significantly important job @ Liverpool FC.

But why even mention him...?

Kenny's statement suggests that Ayre had an opinion in offering him the job. But in the club structures that NESV have set-up in Boston & Liverpool, the Commercial Director wouldn't normally be some one who is consulted in futbol-related personnel decisions. However, the Club's CEO most certainly would have had some input in the decision.

It suggests 2 situations regarding Ayre:

• Ian Ayre is going to remain as Commercial Director, but Henry/Werner/Comolli recognize that Ian has worked with Kenny for a while (although not closely) and they respect his opinion, even when it came this this futbol-related matter (i.e. Kenny's potential appointment).
  • or Ian Ayre is going to be the new CEO

While Ayre might be a good fit, personally I would like to see our new CEO appointment be someone with more financing and stadium building experience (i.e. Keith Edelman), but we could do a lot worse than Ian Ayre (who also has strong a strong skill-set).

I just thought that statement by Kenny was interesting, because if we had a CEO when Kenny was appointed, the CEO most certainly would have had a hand in the decision making and likely would have been mentioned by Kenny.

Anyway... Should hear shortly about the CEO appointment, as well as some First Team and Academy transfer targets.

Clarke

Good appointment IMO.

This is how it works now in this club structure. In the new structure that NESV have set-up @ Liverpool, Comolli has sign-off on everything futbol-related outside of what happens on the pitch.

That said, there is no way he is going to bring in any player/coach personnel to work with the manager if the manager doesn't want that person here.

Again, just like with first team & academy transfer targets, Comolli's job is to line up quality staff to come to LFC, too. He probably had a short-list of a few top guys that he had been in contact with (i.e. Hughton?, etc...), presented that list to Kenny asking him who he would like to work with on a daily basis, Kenny chose Clarke, and then the two (or three) of them called Henry & Werner to tell them that they came to an agreement and added another piece to the puzzle.

IMO, there is no argument. The Club is a better place today than it was yesterday.

• Clarke > Mike Kelly
  • Clarke > Sammy

The other thing to consider is that this Clarke appointment should tell us that Comolli has been in contact with him (and likely others) for some time. This would suggest that Hodgson's sacking was in the mix for quite a while, which again I believe to be true.

Kenny & Marina on a 2 Week Holiday = Roy Gone

So you are a 59 year old. You've been semi-retired for a little while, but you are about to start a new job that will be very VERY time consuming.

Q: What do you do before you start this new job...?

A: You go on a 2 week holiday and spend some 1x1 time with your girl.

It sure as helll is what I would do. Feet up. Pina colada or two. Massage. A round or two of golf.

Considering that Kenny was on holiday for two full weeks, this leads me to believe that the decision to sack Roy was completed BEFORE Christmas, but that is wasn't going to be announced until AFTER Boxing Day.

The conversation between Comolli & Henry & Werner & Kenny probably went something like this :

John Henry:
"Kenny, like we talked about we are going to make a change with the manager. We're still talking with a few potential targets, but if we can't work anything out we were wondering if you would consider taking over the Club if we called on you.

Kenny:
"Of course...! But I better go spend some time with the Mrs, or I'll be in the dog-house worse than Roy is with the fans right now
:)
!"

Anyway.... point is that IMO this is another piece of evidence that Comolli's decision to sack Roy had been made a while ago, and Henry & Werner & Ayre & Kenny all had input on it and knew about it a while ago, too.

The Captain's Armband

Personally I believe that it's time for a change...

It's not going to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

And if it did, I'd love to see that responsibility be given to Reina (even despite him not playing an outfield position).

Taking the armband and responsibility from SG could be detrimental. I don't know. But for me, Reina comes across as the real leader of this Team. He's world class every time that he plays. We never have to read about backroom political arm twisting by him. And lastly we never have to read about this or that fight he got into, or how many underage girls he's getting pregnant.

Who knows, maybe the reduced responsibility is exactly what SG needs right now to get back on track. And maybe the captaincy in Reina's hand is exactly what the squad needs.

Just a thought.

Here's what I have to say about the 0-1 defeat:

Penalty? Clearly a dive.

Well I watched the first-half and I clearly saw Berbatov dived, not Agger's fault but he is the culprit. Webb not issuing a card to Berbatov? That's because of bias, he doesn't EVEN DARE to issue a card because of who? Fergie. Well maybe not that, but this is becoming a non-contact sport, according to Kenny.

Well, Berba just got a slight touch and didn't even dare to apologise, like Theo did a few days ago or maybe yesterday. Well, absolutely this is a CHEAT.

Gerrard sees red? Hmm.

I know, I saw the highlights on TV, it was definitely a red but being a Lilywhites fan, he could have just got off with a yellow, red? too harsh mr Webb.

But thats the law of the game nowadays, don't argue anymore.

Other things:

Clarke's appointment

Good signs are showing, Clarke really could help Dalglish move the gloom out of Anfield and make good foundations for the manager who will become the full-time one.

Clarke helped former Chelsea manager Mourinho to 2 league titles with the Blues and I hope he does repeat that kind of coaching under Dalglish.

I agree with Dalglish, there's no quick fix, for example once he takes over the caretaker seat it doesnt mean immediate change to the dressing room morale. fans, be not emotional, time will tell.

--------------------------

reina should just be given the armband, SG's influence is decreasing by the day and I think reina should be given the chance to prove he has the better influence.