Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

if rafa left i wouldnt be averse to hodgson coming but i dont think the owners would have the intelligence to hire him

Well hopefully the owners will be gone as well ;)

Hodgson would be cheap, has a proven track record both at home and abroad throughout many countries in Europe, would most probably be avaliable-cant see Fulham standing in his way. Has vast experience in both European and International football, a vast amount of footballing knowledge, knows lots of players all over the globe and is very tactically astute manager but as you say he may not be a "sexy enough" name for soe.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Hodgson would be cheap' date=' has a proven track record both at home and abroad throughout many countries in Europe, would most probably be avaliable-cant see Fulham standing in his way. Has vast experience in both European and International football, a vast amount of footballing knowledge, knows lots of players all over the globe and is very tactically astute manager but as you say he may not be a "sexy enough" name for soe.[/quote']

i dont think its him not having a 'sexy enough' name i just have zero faith in the owners making such a decision if there was a vacant managers position in the summer

Could be mere gossip or it could happen, Liverpool are interested in Ranger's Danny Wilson, I don't know if I'm reading this right, but Rangers want 3m, as Wilson hasn't signed a new contract yet.

I can't blame him, I'd hate to be a player in the SPL.

If I'm to be totally honest, I've thought Rafa would be leaving us regardless since about the turn on the year. There was a change in the way he gave his interviews and generally a more relaxed demeanour about him. Also he became more humourous and not afraid to give various interviewers a hard time and also not afraid to have sly digs at other managers. That's not to say he hasn't been giving 100%, because he has, regardless of some being critical of his selections. Off course, this could all be conjecture, but if not, it says much about him that he's managed to stay professional through it all. And as burs says, top European clubs are not going to undervalue his credentials like many in this country have (be it media or fans) and he will be guaranteed a job elsewhere and a good one at that.

It's scary to think about who we may be able to attract should he leave. The publicity we have received this year (particularly the financial worries and apparent infighting) is arguably more damaging than our results. An already difficult situation (attracting a new manager) could be made worse should we end up being forced into selling one of our big names. Based on all that, Hodgson may well be a logical solution and it would be good to see a very under-rated manager get a chance at a prestigious club :).

If I'm to be totally honest' date=' I've thought Rafa would be leaving us regardless since about the turn on the year. There was a change in the way he gave his interviews and generally a more relaxed demeanour about him. Also he became more humourous and not afraid to give various interviewers a hard time and also not afraid to have sly digs at other managers. That's not to say he hasn't been giving 100%, because he has, regardless of some being critical of his selections. Off course, this could all be conjecture, but if not, it says much about him that he's managed to stay professional through it all. And as burs says, top European clubs are not going to undervalue his credentials like many in this country have (be it media or fans) and he will be guaranteed a job elsewhere and a good one at that.

It's scary to think about who we may be able to attract should he leave. The publicity we have received this year (particularly the financial worries and apparent infighting) is arguably more damaging than our results. An already difficult situation (attracting a new manager) could be made worse should we end up being forced into selling one of our big names. Based on all that, Hodgson may well be a logical solution and it would be good to see a very under-rated manager get a chance at a prestigious club :).[/quote']

Trust me on this one Smartdoc if the Liverpool job became available there would be a whole heap of managers who would want the post,I could think of the likes of Schuster,Eriksson and a few world cup managers likely to be out of a job,even Mourinho would be available who seems all set to leave Inter Milan.

Trust me on this one Smartdoc if the Liverpool job became available there would be a whole heap of managers who would want the post' date='I could think of the likes of Schuster,Eriksson and a few world cup managers likely to be out of a job,even Mourinho would be available who seems all set to leave Inter Milan.[/quote']

That's true mate, I have no doubts that a whole heap of them will be interested simply because of the prestige. But the question is, how many would still be interested if they were told there was no money at the club and in fact that some of the existing squad would have to be sold just to make ends meet. I reckon in may turn away alot of managers in the bracket you mention. I guess we'll see and off course this may all be academic if Rafa decides to stay :)

Trust me on this one Smartdoc if the Liverpool job became available there would be a whole heap of managers who would want the post' date='I could think of the likes of Schuster,Eriksson and a few world cup managers likely to be out of a job,even Mourinho would be available who seems all set to leave Inter Milan.[/quote']

if rafa went they'd have to pay him off and his staff, so there's very little money for a new manager and even less for players, so who'd want a job where you're expected to challenge for the title, you get nothing for players and you dont get that much pay yourself and/or have to work with someone else's backroom staff?

you'd still have to pay off his staff though/replace them if he took some with him

Yeah, but wouldnt be any where near the amount it would cost to shift bentiez, even combining the fee's !

But point taken, obviously managing liverpool would always be a honour, but your on and off field antics this season make the club alot less desirable, alot of hard work will have to go into sorting the club out, and as much as i dislike you ( i dislike any top four team :P ), i dont want you lot to fall to pieces

2 comments and a question :

Regarding any possible payout to Benitez... I think you guys will be very surprised how little LFC will actually have to pay him to see him leave.

LFC will be only on the hook for the big amount if he sits on the sidelines (i.e. Mancini after Inter) and decides that he'd rather collect a weekly paycheck from LFC rather than get on with his coaching career. Don't for a second believe that rumor of a clause that says he gets a 24-hour payout after he is shown the door. That is complete nonsense. No one would agree to that regardless of the business, and especially someone as litigious as Hicks.

Personally I think when Benitez is out that he should take a handful of months off and just to find his bearings again... But I can't see him doing that. It's not in his psychological nature. He'll be on to the next managerial job a month after leaving Liverpool.

I am surprised that the current odds for a 4th Place Finish aren't worse for Tottenham. I would have thought that Liverpool's odds would have been better than Tottenham's (even with their game in hand).

4thplace.jpg

And lastly a question about Reserve/Youth stats... Is there a really good site to see stats for the reserve & youth teams ? Thanks.

4thplace.jpg

city's odds are a bit too short tbh - wouldnt have them odds on' date=' something like evens or so i'd say are 'fair' odds, so anything higher than that would be a decent bet.

looking on betfair, the current odds are:

city - 4/5 (rough conversion from decimal odds 1.84)

spurs - 7/2

liverpool - 9/2

villa - 11/1

so when considering the games remaining for now i'd say back liverpool and villa, lay city and stay away from spurs (something like £21 liverpool, £8 villa and £21 lay on city who's decimal odds to lay are 1.88) and a few weeks from now i'd say the odds will be something like this:

city - evens to 6/4

liverpool - 5/2 to 3/1

villa - 6/1 to 8/1

spurs - god knows

if my predictions are right (or at least the odds move in that direction and i'm mostly right) and you traded a few weeks later after the odds change you'd make between £12-24 regardless of who gets 4th

cant post a link for graphs of the odds so far this season (you can have a look on the betfair site), but there has been plenty of movement in the markets, so there is money to be made there

And lastly a question about Reserve/Youth stats... Is there a really good site to see stats for the reserve & youth teams ? Thanks.

official club sites?

Thanks. Those odds you gave seem a lot more realistic than the ones that are out there. I'd be a seller of those current City & Tottenham odds all day long. I'll check out the Betfair graphs. Thx.

I check the LFC site, but I only see the overall reserve table. I am probably just missing something. I was hoping for a player stat table like they had on ThisIsAnfield , but more recent... If you know of something, please pass on a link ... Thanks.

Thanks. Those odds you gave seem a lot more realistic than the ones that are out there. I'd be a seller of those current City & Tottenham odds all day long. I'll check out the Betfair graphs. Thx.

I check the LFC site' date=' but I only see the overall reserve table. I am probably just missing something. I was hoping for a player stat table like they had on ThisIsAnfield , but more recent... If you know of something, please pass on a link ... Thanks.

Liverweb is usually pretty good (usually almost up-to-date and reasonably accurate even if it is not the most pleasing on the eye):

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/archive.htm

Click on the relevant Liverpool badge and then scroll down to below the results table and click on the link for appearances :)

Its a good day when Bayern Munich beat the scum in the CL quarter final :P. Anyway, I'd like to see Benayoun starting in the game against Benfica, he's probably the only choice since Babel won't be there.

Benfica's form looks as good as ever, they won 4-1 in the weekend while we drew 1-1. Maxi won't be able to play? Babel and Insua are out, Babel with the red card and Insua got a yellow.

I think we can win this game without conceding.