Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Benitez is on a win/win in some ways. If finishing outside the top four forced the owners to go he probably gets more capital if the new regime keeps him on and a huge pay off otherwise. If there isn't a regime change then he's boosted his CV and furthered his kudos with the fans if they get to the final of a European competition' date=' and again is in line for a pay off should they chop him for failing to finish 4th.[/quote']

spot on there - and even if he did go (which i doubt unless he's offered similar levels of power to here and/or the owners continue to stay here with zero investment in the team) he could walk into what is a fairly good situation at juve regarding finances or inter if they get rid of mourinho

anyway, this summer will be fun with the near constant gerrard/mascherano/torres/agger etc to city/chelsea/juve/inter/real/barca 'reports' in the 'news'papers after they play a game in the world cup, as i said before the main priority this season is to get rid of the root cause of the problem at the club who want stupid money for a team that is declining under them and are under-investing in the team so that we can move forward - the likes of barca and bayern have missed out on the CL in the recent past and it didnt hurt them, so as long as we can go all guns blazing next season for the league and we keep the core players/staff here i'm not too bothered yet

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

The last time we got into the CL and came out of the top four was in 06, we won the CL the year before but came 5th, we lost to Benfica, so we couldn't retain.

Even if we don't get fourth, we can win the Europa League, then have a huge chance of silverware next season in the form of the UEFA Super Cup ;)

I should wait to hold all this rubbish about LFC' date=' but I found myself on here for a sec...

[b'](1)[/b] Cant WAIT to hear anybody TRY to justify Benitez's XI line-up or Tactics in a must win-game

(2) Can't WAIT for someone to talk about a team losing with 65-75% of the possession !!!!!

(3) Can't wait for someone to blame this loss (and all other bad results) on the owners... "Oh the owners gave us no bench" ..... Just try me...

(4) I can't wait to hear someone try to explain to me or anyone else who knows ANYTHING about business how this most recent result is a good one because they think it means Hicks/GG now HAVE TO SELL....!

Anyway... Can't wait to hear about all the excuses from all the know-it-all's....

JC

p.s. I'm nowhere ready to be talking about next season without CL yet... But if you want to engage me, feel free.

:confused: just because some of us dont post what you agree with I dont think it means you have to come on here and speak towards us like a total .........

The only one who looks like they are being a "know it all" and all that other bs by that post is you mate, can't remember anybody posting towards anybody else in that manner.

I can tell by the post above you are mainly reffering to Burs, although I agree fully with most the stuff he has posted.

If I still believe Rafa is the right man for LFC, what difference does it make to anybody else? what is the obsession with me / Burs or whoever not having the same opinion? I guess that makes me a moron / idiot blah blah but I would rather be one of those and be able to form my own opinion based on what I have seen over the years.

Also not sure I understood #2 as we didnt lose? :confused:

I should wait to hold all this rubbish about LFC' date=' but I found myself on here for a sec...

[b'](1)[/b] Cant WAIT to hear anybody TRY to justify Benitez's XI line-up or Tactics in a must win-game

(2) Can't WAIT for someone to talk about a team losing with 65-75% of the possession !!!!!

did you watch the game?

I was at the game yesterday and it was another pretty poor attacking performance in line with much of the season and another example of how inconsistent we are. Also again totally magnifies how big our attacking problems are when Torres is not avaliable.

To be fair we dominated the game, totally monopolised posession, but posession in itself is pretty meaningless unless you do something positive with the ball which for large majority of the time we didnt. To be frank Fulham were extremely well organised, well drilled and never really looked in any real danger. Maxi had a great change and Krygiakos near the end but espite all the posession we never really created any chances.

Again in a must win game I was a bit baffled by a few decisions that Rafa makes but then I have long said that the domestic games I feel do not get Rafa's Mojo working like a european game.

1) I am NOT a fan but Lucas had his best game of the season arguably on Thursday, he must be feeling confident, why drop him?

2) For me this is the biggest error, why start N'Gog up front on his own, I think we can all say with great certainty he is not up to the task, if Torres is unavaliable you have to start Kuyt, have to. He has more experience, more intelligence and certainly offers a bigger goal threat.

3) Again the substitutions baffle me Aquilani for me on the day was argfuably our best player, spraying the ball around nicely and certainly looking the most likely to create something but then gets pulled off and from the TV pictures I saw later he looked bemused, I certainly dont think he was feeling Tired, not sure he could be as the game was played in one half.

Still 4th is gone now, say what you like about not wanting Champions League Football I certainly do, the Europa League does not bring even 5% of the feeling you get from the Champions League. The only positive aspect is hopefully this pushes the price of the club down and we become more "attractive" to potential buyers, as quoted previously i just hope this whole regeime goes in the summer and we can start again refreshed, reenergised and with renewed hope.

I just want to apologize to everyone on this thread for some inappropriate language on here yesterday after the game ended. There was no excuse for it. The last thing we needed yesterday was me getting on here and complaining more about the result/season and using some harsh language. I apologize. It's the last thing you guys needed to read and certainly wasn't constructive in any way.

Here's to hoping Gerrard et.al. can win out the remaining games and provide a positive transition into next season.

As far as the RBS loan extension goes... I think it's a mistake to give Hicks more rope, but I understand why the bank is doing it. They don't want to lose fees to Barclays (who apparently is willing to refinance the debt). In essence, Hicks/GG are playing one bank off against the other. It's absurd to think that those two guys actually have leverage anymore in this saga, but in effect that is what they are doing. Given Hicks' proven ability to drag stuff like this on forever, it will be a mistake if RBS (and Wachovia if they decide to extend the loan, too) don't write in stricter terms to any loan extension.

As far as hiring Barclays investment banking group to advise on a sale of the club... I am not sure what Barclays can bring to the table that Liverpool's current bankers (Bank of America and Rothschilds) can't. It's not like Barclays are necessarily better bankers or have a more thorough contact list of perspective buyers. Actually all it comes down to is Barclays saying if you aren't going to do your debt our financing department, at least let our investment banking take the fee for a possible sale.

As far as the RBS loan extension goes... I think it's a mistake to give Hicks more rope' date=' but I understand why the bank is doing it. They don't want to lose fees to Barclays (who apparently is willing to refinance the debt). [/quote']

apparently the barclays deal was at higher interest rates and would involve the club using them instead of rbs for their general banking needs and also use barclaycard instead of mbna for the credit cards, so it would have been a very good business decision for them.

Given Hicks' proven ability to drag stuff like this on forever' date=' it will be a mistake if RBS (and Wachovia if they decide to extend the loan, too) don't write in stricter terms to any loan extension.[/quote']

mlb starts today, and as far as i am aware the rangers sale hasnt been finalized yet. but i think most (me included) have the feeling that they arent going to walk away quietly, when the sale comes it will be long and drawn out unless a stupidly high offer comes in

Im from the USA and have only been following Liverpool for a little while. Can you explain to me what this whole "hillsborough" and "96" thing is. I was on their website and it was all over that too..

in 1985, Liveprool fans went to Hillsborough football ground for an FA cup match, whilst they were there, there was a large crush, in which 96 liverpool fans died

Indeed. The whole thing about justice is about what newspapers printed in the weeks that followed, namely The Sun, that was frankly disgusting. To cut a long story short the Liverpool fans were blamed for the incident and the staff/police whatever you want to call them patrolling the stadium that day took no responsibility for what happened. To this day the turth has not officially been told.

Indeed. The whole thing about justice is about what newspapers printed in the weeks that followed' date=' namely The Sun, that was frankly disgusting. To cut a long story short the Liverpool fans were blamed for the incident and the staff/police whatever you want to call them patrolling the stadium that day took no responsibility for what happened. To this day the turth has not officially been told.[/quote']

and of course kelvin mackenzie who was responsible for the slur got off with it and gets paid a fair bit thanks to the licence fee and the policeman who's ineptitiude caused the crush took early retirement due to 'stress' when he was in his late 40s and lives on a full pension nowadays

Im from the USA and have only been following Liverpool for a little while. Can you explain to me what this whole "hillsborough" and "96" thing is. I was on their website and it was all over that too..

21 years ago yesterday' date=' 20,000 Liverpool fans went to Sheffield to watch the semi final of the FA cup. 96 fans never returned home as one of the pens got to full as one of the gates was opened and it allowed to many fans to pack in and people couldn't escape due to fences at the other end this ended up in people collapsing on the floor and being crushed to death. A couple of days later the sun (a british newspaper) began to post disgusting titles claiming that Liverpool fans stole from the dead and urinated on the police trying to help. This was an outrage as every Liverpool fan knew it wasn't real, cause they tried to help these injured and dead people by turning the gym into a hospital room and using the advertising boards as stretchers to try and carry the injured and dead.

[url']http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/history/hillsborough/video[/url] That link will tell you all you need to know, it'll take a couple of hours to watch all the video's but it will clear all of the hillsborough disaster up.

Guest JackWWFC

It was 1989 not 1985 how can any Liverpol fan get that wrong

The 96 forever in our thoughts

Probably because most Liverpool "fans" are glory hunters.

Anyway. 21 years :eek: