Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I think you're missing the point A2R. Reina's a great goalkeeper, granted, but you can't say he's better/worth more than another goalkeeper if you haven't seen the other goalkeeper play on a regular basis, allowing you to make a qualified judgement. I think that's why people made an issue of your statement.

Personally, I don't think Reina's form over the last 18 months or so has been as good as when we won the Golden Gloves award for three years. Whether or not he's better/worth more than Neuer or any other 'keeper is a question I'm not qualified to answer. ;)

Also, that video has been flipped. I don't know if that's the technical term, but it's certainly backwards.

EDIT: Clean sheets also shouldn't be such a determining factor when assessing the ability of a goalkeeper.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

I think you're missing the point A2R. Reina's a great goalkeeper' date=' granted, but you can't say he's better/worth more than another goalkeeper if you haven't seen the other goalkeeper play on a regular basis, allowing you to make a qualified judgement. I think that's why people made an issue of your statement.

Personally, I don't think Reina's form over the last 18 months or so has been as good as when we won the Golden Gloves award for three years. Whether or not he's better/worth more than Neuer or any other 'keeper is a question I'm not qualified to answer. ;)

[b']Also, that video has been flipped. I don't know if that's the technical term, but it's certainly backwards.[/b]

Yeah i know first one i saw, must had been recording through a mirror

:P

I think you're missing the point A2R. Reina's a great goalkeeper' date=' granted, [b']but you can't say he's better/worth more than another goalkeeper if you haven't seen the other goalkeeper play on a regular basis[/b], allowing you to make a qualified judgement. I think that's why people made an issue of your statement.

EDIT: Clean sheets also shouldn't be such a determining factor when assessing the ability of a goalkeeper.

Which is why im still waiting for the Neur fans to tell me so.

Reina's form imo has been better. In is first seasons he really struggled with crosses and had other minor faults. imo he has improved in the latter years.

We were much better defensively in the previous seasons with Rafa. Our defense comapred to to previous season is really poor, yet reina still has a good record. does say quite a bit about the keeper, but i agree with you, you cant judge a keeper solely on that.

And btw where did i say anything about Neuer being better than Reina ?

:rolleyes:

^^^

Which is why im still waiting for the Neur fans to tell me so.

Reina's form imo has been better. In is first seasons he really struggled with crosses and had other minor faults. imo he has improved in the latter years.

We were much better defensively in the previous seasons with Rafa. Our defense comapred to to previous season is really poor' date=' yet reina still has a good record. does say quite a bit about the keeper, but i agree with you, you cant judge a keeper solely on that.

^^^[/quote']

Again you havent seen Neuer play so cant comment

City have conceded the fewest goals in the Premier League this season. Does this make Joe Hart the best 'keeper in the league? Does it make him worth £30m? Of course it doesn't.

'Keepers will always transfer for less than outfield players. When Buffon moved he was one of the best goalkeepers in the world and hadn't peaked yet. I don't think the same can quite be said of Reina; he's an excellent 'keeper but not in that elite band IMO.

When comparing Reina to Adler, Neuer and Stekelenburg I wasn't saying they were as good as he was. I was suggesting that they wouldn't move for as much as Reina's release clause. Whether Reina is better, as you've seen is debatable. Note also that Neuer only took the Germany #1 jersey because of injury to Adler and Stekelenburg was one of the top 'keepers in the World Cup IMO along with Eduardo for Portugal.

But the point is he didn't get a chance. So in reality' date=' we have to base our opinions on what we see..[/quote']

Like all the top managers say though you cant base anything on a tournament like the WC as players raise there game just for that.

Plus if Cassilas was German then we wouldnt be having this conversation :P

OR if Kahn still hadnt retired....

I'm not comparing Reina as I have not seen much of Neuer but we cant say Reina isnt as good because he doesn't play for Spain due to who is in front of him

Again you havent seen Neuer play so cant comment

err but i wasnt tealking about Neur:confused:

I personally would take De Sanctis over any of them but that's just me. :D

De who?:D

And Stu, how can you say Reina has peaked? hes only 28, and he still has atleast 7 years ahead of him, and he can only get better.

About the national teams, yeah like thats clever, he only has the worlds best keeper ahead of him:rolleyes: 'Can only beat whats put ahead of him'?? Same can apply to Reina when he gets the chance to play.

I feel thiers been made a mountain out of a molehill here, put it this way, if you were to choose one keeper out of them 3/4 stated, theres only one winnner and that Reina.

And Stu' date=' how can you say Reina has peaked? hes only 28, and he still has atleast 7 years ahead of him, and he can only get better.

About the national teams, yeah like thats clever, he only has the worlds best keeper ahead of him:rolleyes: 'Can only beat whats put ahead of him'?? Same can apply to Reina when he gets the chance to play.

I feel thiers been made a mountain out of a molehill here, put it this way, if you were to choose one keeper out of them 3/4 stated, theres only one winnner and that Reina.[/quote']

I'm suggesting he's peaked as he's not been as good as he has been in previous seasons. That's not to say he's not suffering a blip in form but then any of the other 3 I stated have a claim to be as in form as Reina is.

I don't pay much attention to NT. It won't affect how much a team will pay for a player which is what the debate is about.

Reina is the best 'keeper of those that I stated (IMO). That doesn't mean he's worth more than £20m as I reckon the other 3 will move for much less than that.

I'm suggesting he's peaked as he's not been as good as he has been in previous seasons. That's not to say he's not suffering a blip in form but then any of the other 3 I stated have a claim to be as in form as Reina is.

I don't pay much attention to NT. It won't affect how much a team will pay for a player which is what the debate is about.

Reina is the best 'keeper of those that I stated (IMO). That doesn't mean he's worth more than £20m as I reckon the other 3 will move for much less than that.

How much have you even seen of Reina? He has improved as a keeper in the last couple of seasons. We now rely on Reina a lot more, he has to make far more saves recently and has won us countless points. Before he had a great defense in front of him, with Arbeloa and Aurelio, the defense was far more balanced, then we had Carra and alongside Skrtel(its no secret Skrtel's a 10x better player with Carra alongside him). Then one of the best midfield partnerships around in Masch and Alonso. Under Rafa, we had one of the best defensive units around. Now tho, Reina is involved a lot more in games and is a much better keeper than he was in his first couple of seasons.

I agree with that.

In terms of his ability, its obvious he will cost more. But lets not worry about that shall we, because he's not going anywhere.

If Daniel Ayala doesnt join Derby County today im going to pull my hair out! Thats going to be difficult since im blade 2 but i will do it all the same.

Been trying to get this kid for weeks.

Does he have a future at Liverpool?

The Ayala loan deal should go through now. It was Derby who postponed it for a few weeks because Ayala had a hamstring injury and Derby didn't want to pay the wages whilst he was out.

As for the last question, only Kenny can answer that. There's currently 4 centre backs ahead of him, but with Soto likely to leave at the end of the season, there may be a place for him if he's ready to step up.

The Ayala loan deal should go through now. It was Derby who postponed it for a few weeks because Ayala had a hamstring injury and Derby didn't want to pay the wages whilst he was out.

As for the last question' date=' only Kenny can answer that. There's currently 4 centre backs ahead of him, but with [b']Soto likely to leave [/b]at the end of the season, there may be a place for him if he's ready to step up.

I thought so too but then I read some days ago that he has fulfilled a clause in his contract which automatically gives him a one year extension.

I don't honestly agree with that last part. I think all 3 of Reina, Adler and Neuer could go for 20m+. Why? Because they're in demand. As Arsenal have proved, you need an amazing goal keeper to fight for the title (unless you're Brazil in 2002 but that is really besides the point), Arsenal, United, Bayern and even Spurs could all use new keepers. Who would they go for? Reina, Adler, Neuer or even Stekelenburg. I can definitely see Neuer going for more than 20m because you're not only getting his talent but you're getting his hype and potential as well.

I do agree with you saying Reina's peaked. I don't think he can only get better, any player can get worse at any time, age doesn't play as much of a role in that as most would think.

Van Der Sar.

Well I can add others too. Friedel, Schwarzer, Palop, Rost, Butt, Jaaskelainen, Ceni, Cesar (Valencia though is getting less and less playing time). My point is is that not all keepers last this long. Just because some do, doesn't mean all will. I could name a ton of old strikers, midfielders and defenders, doesn't mean say, Suarez can play at the top till he's 35.