Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Well I can add others too. Friedel' date=' Schwarzer, Palop, Rost, Butt, Jaaskelainen, Ceni, Cesar (Valencia though is getting less and less playing time). My point is is that not all keepers last this long. Just because some do, doesn't mean all will. I could name a ton of old strikers, midfielders and defenders, doesn't mean say, Suarez can play at the top till he's 35.[/quote']

Generally keepers last longer at top level than outfield players do, when you look at it almost every good keeper has lasted at top level till there around 35 longer even so really Reina is only half way through his career and can improve

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Generally keepers last longer at top level than outfield players do' date=' when you look at it almost every good keeper has lasted at top level till there around 35 longer even so really Reina is only half way through his career and can improve[/quote']

Eh. I think the need for older and experienced keepers is running out. Soon I can see the top teams shipping out the older keepers (unless they're the best like Cesar) and going for the younger ones and doing it all over again.

re: pepe reina this year - he lost a very good goalkeeper coach last season in xavi valero who followed rafa to inter (not sure what he's doing now) and in with hodgson came the disaster that is mike kelly, a 69yr old who tried to make reina 'more of an english goalkeeper'. since hodgson went kelly is on gardening leave, which i'm pretty sure means john achterberg, ex tranmere goalie and former youth keeper coach now trains him (although bobby mimms is rumoured to be coming soon), hence why he hasnt played as well this season.

but last season he was absolutely brilliant - player of the season by an absolute mile. top player but just as importantly a top bloke who's an excellent leader who's liked and respected by just about all of his teammates past and present (and there aint many modern day players who can say that). dont know how anyone can say his form last year was bad - this season he hasnt played well but when you go from a top goalie coach to one who's hopelessly inept with a keeper under 6ft6 then...

oh, and top keepers are easily worth £20m+ - the impact of a top keeper on the defenders cannot be underestimated, if you want an example look up some footage from around 2007/8 of jamie carragher playing with itandje and reina in net, such a huge difference in his level of play dependent on the keeper

Guest JackWWFC

re: pepe reina this year - he lost a very good goalkeeper coach last season in xavi valero who followed rafa to inter (not sure what he's doing now) and in with hodgson came the disaster that is mike kelly' date=' a 69yr old who tried to make reina 'more of an english goalkeeper'. since hodgson went kelly is on gardening leave, which i'm pretty sure means john achterberg, ex tranmere goalie and former youth keeper coach now trains him (although bobby mimms is rumoured to be coming soon), hence why he hasnt played as well this season.

but last season he was absolutely brilliant - player of the season by an absolute mile. top player but just as importantly a top bloke who's an excellent leader who's liked and respected by just about all of his teammates past and present (and there aint many modern day players who can say that). dont know how anyone can say his form last year was bad - this season he hasnt played well but when you go from a top goalie coach to one who's hopelessly inept with a keeper under 6ft6 then...

oh, and top keepers are easily worth £20m+ - the impact of a top keeper on the defenders cannot be underestimated, if you want an example look up some footage from around 2007/8 of jamie carragher playing with itandje and reina in net, such a huge difference in his level of play dependent on the keeper[/quote']

If you do get Bobby, then you have a good GK coach.

My mate had some 1on1 lessons with Mimms when he was at Wolves, i've spoken to him a few times as well.

Isn't he at Blackburn now?

Team for today

Reina' date=' Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel, Johnson, Maxi, Meireles, Lucas, Aurelio, Kuyt, Suarez.

Subs: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Poulsen, Pacheco, Jovanovic, Ngog.[/quote']

Why Maxi! lets hope he worked on his finishing in training:rolleyes:

----------Reina-----------

-Kelly--Carra-Skrtel-Aurelio--

-------Lucas--Meireles-----

-Maxi--------------Johnson-

-----Suarez--------------

------------Kuyt

Be lucky to hold on for a point way we are playing.....

Cant say Wigan dont deserve to be level' date=' cant get hold of the ball.

Should help to ground those people getting a bit to excited.[/quote']

Yeah but it didnt really help by taking of Meireles and replacing him with N'Goals. wouldve made more sense bringing on Poulson(:eek:).

Took your time :P

If honest I don't watch for the scores of mid and lower table teams now lol

Being a glory hunting Man City fan why would I lol

5 years ago the Wogan score might have been important - it's not anymore now that we have the magic 40points in the bag lol

EDIT...WOGAN score? Crikey lol sorry for the typo

Dissapointed with the result. Feel we shouldve killed of the game in the first half. Brilliant goal by Meireles once again, its amazing how he manages to get in the box so many times.

It all went wrong when Meireles was taken off, dont know why but replacing him with N'Goals was the wrong decision. Took the shape away from us completely and left Suarez isolated. The only player who Suarez has a great understandng with, is Kuyt, and they played well together.

On another day Suarez would've got a hatrick, hit the woodwork 2 times!. Some of the stuff he does is absolutely brilliant, very promosing signs for him, and i cant wait to see him again. Had a brilliant self made chance at the end, jinxed away form about 2 defenders and just as he was about to pull the trigger, it was intercepted by Wigan's brilliant defense.

As for Wigan, Moses was brilliant whislt he was on, looks a real talent and if theres anything Kelly struggles with, it is pace. Would like to him at cb alongside Carra who again was magnificent. Skrtel the %!@&@! had great chance also but blazed his header over the bar.

Maxi was once again shocking, its amazing how he's still starting games for us, USELESS.

And dont know how many times weve said this(its getting a bit boring now), was upset Pacheco wasnt given an oppurtunity with the shocking serbian guy(yes i do know his name but just dont want to say it) coming on for him.

Should of been 3-1 if Suarez' two efforts that hit the woodwork had gone in but it wasnt to be. Jovanovic and Ngog were awful, Suarez was very hungry, shame he didnt get anything. Sparta Prague away on Thursday (is Suarez eligible to play?) hopefully Pacheco gets a run out, alongside Kuyt or Suarez (if he's eligible) West Ham in 2 weeks, if we play like we have done in resent weeks we should be able to get all three points.

Should of been 3-1 if Suarez' two efforts that hit the woodwork had gone in but it wasnt to be. Jovanovic and Ngog were awful' date=' Suarez was very hungry, shame he didnt get anything. Sparta Prague away on Thursday ([b']is Suarez eligible to play?[/b]) hopefully Pacheco gets a run out, alongside Kuyt or Suarez (if he's eligible) West Ham in 2 weeks, if we play like we have done in resent weeks we should be able to get all three points.

Because if torres is eligible for to play in the champions league for chelsea I don't see the different so suarez will be eligible to play