Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

If you was the manager and had the funds to buy a bunch of new players (no limit but realistic options) who would you be happy to keep as a first team member out of the current crop?

If it was me, I'd be keeping:

Reina, Johnson, Kelly, Carragher, Merieles, Gerrard, Suarez & Carroll. (From the 1st team).

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Guest Phill

;1407588']If it was me' date=' I'd be keeping:

Reina, Johnson, Kelly, Carragher, Merieles, Gerrard, Suarez & Carroll. (From the 1st team).[/quote']

I agree with all of those aswell as Agger (Brilliant defender, it's a real shame about his injuries though), Cole (give him the chance and he could easily be a valuable player), Lucas (he is actually quite good now) and Pacheco (if we sell him, it would be one of the biggest mistakes made in football).

I'd love it if we gave Aquilani another chance. Give him games and he could be brilliant (like he is for Juve).

I agree with all of those aswell as Agger (Brilliant defender' date=' it's a real shame about his injuries though), Cole (give him the chance and he could easily be a valuable player), Lucas (he is actually quite good now) and Pacheco (if we sell him, it would be one of the biggest mistakes made in football).

I'd love it if we gave Aquilani another chance. Give him games and he could be brilliant (like he is for Juve).[/quote']

So you'd start Cole, Lucas, Pacheco...?

Guest Phill

;1407770']So you'd start Cole' date=' Lucas, Pacheco...?[/quote']

Not Cole. If we got an injury (Meireles etc) he should be given the chance.

Lucas is already starting for Liverpool... (deservedly so)

I don't know why Kenny isn't giving Pacheco a chance, he is 10x the player Ngog is. After Suarez and Carroll are starting together he should be our 3rd striker (sub, injuries etc.). He could be our Titcharito (;))

I agree with all of those aswell as Agger (Brilliant defender' date=' it's a real shame about his injuries though), Cole (give him the chance and he could easily be a valuable player), Lucas (he is actually quite good now) and Pacheco (if we sell him, it would be one of the biggest mistakes made in football).

I'd love it if we gave Aquilani another chance. Give him games and he could be brilliant (like he is for Juve).[/quote']

According to Juventus, Aquilani's not good enough so they're not going to make a bid for him.

If you was the manager and had the funds to buy a bunch of new players (no limit but realistic options) who would you be happy to keep as a first team member out of the current crop?

From the current first team squad I would have no problems with the following players staying as I think they can all fulfill an important role in a much STRONGER squad supplemrnted by new buys

Reina,Johnson,Kelly,Agger,Carragher,Kuyt,Meireles,Gerrard,Suarez,Carroll,Pacheco,Wilson

Supplement them with a few of the brighter talents from our youth side Suso,Coady should def be introduced to first team squad and Sterling could also be introduced.

Im afraid I would ship out the following Skrtel, Aurelio (always liked him but so injury prone) Jones,Konchesky,KyriakosInsua,Lucas,Maxi,Maxi,Maxi!!! Poulsen,Shelvey,Aquilani(IMO will never be a PL player) N'Gog-please N'Gog!!

Now not all of these will go but if we can ship out half and get in 2-3 HIGH CLASS signings I would be fairly happy. No point buying like we have you will only ever reach the top with genuine quality...the signings of Suarez and Carroll (though wayyy overpriced) are definetley the class of player we have to be looking at.

Game of opinions but we have had to many years of poor buying/selling buying mediocrity it's time to make a concerted effort to bring in as close to top elite level players as we can....no more stopgaps no more average Joe's to fill up the squad.

Guest Phill

From the current first team squad I would have no problems with the following players staying as I think they can all fulfill an important role in a much STRONGER squad supplemrnted by new buys

Reina' date='Johnson,Kelly,Agger,Carragher,Kuyt,Meireles,Gerrard,Suarez,Carroll,Pacheco,Wilson

Supplement them with a few of the brighter talents from our youth side Suso,Coady should def be introduced to first team squad and Sterling could also be introduced.

Im afraid I would ship out the following Skrtel, Aurelio (always liked him but so injury prone) Jones,Konchesky,KyriakosInsua,Lucas,Maxi,Maxi,Maxi!!! Poulsen,Shelvey,Aquilani(IMO will never be a PL player) N'Gog-please N'Gog!!

Now not all of these will go but if we can ship out half and get in 2-3 HIGH CLASS signings I would be fairly happy. No point buying like we have you will only ever reach the top with genuine quality...the signings of Suarez and Carroll (though wayyy overpriced) are definetley the class of player we have to be looking at.

Game of opinions but we have had to many years of poor buying/selling buying mediocrity it's time to make a concerted effort to bring in as close to top elite level players as we can....no more stopgaps no more average Joe's to fill up the squad.[/quote']

Kuyt, really? I admire his work ethic (never stops running) but he just doesn't give anything. At least with Kenny he is being played in the right position which is up front, but he hasn't got the speed and I haven't seen him get past a defender.

Reina' date='Johnson,Kelly,Agger,Carragher,Kuyt,Meireles,Gerrard,Suarez,Carroll,Pacheco,Wilson

Game of opinions but we have had to many years of poor buying/selling buying mediocrity it's time to make a concerted effort to bring in as close to top elite level players as we can....no more stopgaps no more average Joe's to fill up the squad.[/quote']

What about Mavinga, Ayala, Eccleston? Give them a couple more years to settle? Mavinga has gone out to get some first team experience at Genk, Nathan isn't doing too bad at Charlton, and Ayala is getting some experience at Derby.

Don't see Shelvey, Lucas, Kyriakos or Aurelio leaving, although can see Skrtel leaving for somebody in Germany, probably Wolfsburg or Breman if Hummels and Subotic move on. Jones, Maxi, Konchesky and Insua will probably be off though, although wouldn't mind giving Insua another year and possibly Aqualani.

I think the main problem for you guys is having too many players for that AMish role. Gerrard covets it and Meireles has played there superbly. That's not to mention Cole, Maxi and Aquilani who also prefer to play there. Then you have no real wingers unless you were to put strikers out wide (Kuyt, Suarez?)... It's about finding a formation that works really. This narrow 352 has shored up your defence somewhat but if a striker gets one on one against Carra or Skrtel, you're struggling. They get in quite often too with the wide defence offered no protection by the narrow midfield/attack.

Overall, I don't think there's a way to play Gerrard, Meireles, Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll without playing at least one of of position.

Totally agree, we still need some winger/RM/LM tho

Guest JackWWFC

Supplement them with a few of the brighter talents from our youth side Suso' date='Coady should def be introduced to first team squad and Sterling could also be introduced.

Im afraid I would ship out the following Skrtel, Aurelio (always liked him but so injury prone) Jones,Konchesky,KyriakosInsua,Lucas,Maxi,Maxi,Maxi!!! Poulsen,Shelvey,Aquilani(IMO will never be a PL player) N'Gog-please N'Gog!![/quote']

I agree with a lot of that, but imo Suso still needs another season with the reserves (although the occasional Carling Cup / Europa League sub appearance wouldn't do any harm I suppose) and Sterling is still a long way off the first team. He's got massive potential - I said before I believe he's the talent we've had since Gerrard - but he's nowhere near the first team yet. Next season he'll probably step up to the reserves, then hopefully the season after he'll get a few minutes here and there in games of small importance. I agree Coady is just about ready to step up and get some first team game time, but I think Flanagan (who in fact was in the squad against West Ham last week), Robinson (who has already had some game time for the firsts) and Wisdom (a very strong no-nonsense centre back, who is rated very highly - had some injury problems so missed a lot of this season) and probably closer than Suso and Sterling currently.

Whilst on the topic of youth I thought the lads showed real character today beating a strong, physical Blackburn 5-1 to make it 9 wins on the bounce. It was a much weakened team with Suso, Flanagan, Robbo, Silva (another lad I rate highly) and Wisdom all either playing for the reserves, or not fit to play. As a follower of the youth I'm really looking forward to the FA Youth cup game against United next Sunday. With all the big names playing it should be a really good game (if you're a Liverpool fan).

Ray, I also don't understand why you'd want to get rid of England's under 19's captain, Shelvey. The lad is real quality. He's got all the key attributes to be a top attacking midfielder in the future. He's got a great shot and his passing isn't bad either. I hope you're hot basing you're opinion on the few sub appearances he's had for the first team - remember he's only recently turned 18! If you've watched him play for England's youth you'll be aware of what he can do. I think it would be a huge mistake if we let him go so young. But luckily Kenny rates him highly so it's not gonna happen!

I'd also add Joe Cole to the list of get rids - he's had enough chances imo and hasn't shown much and I'd also want to keep big Soto as back up and Lucas.

I agree with a lot of that' date=' but imo Suso still needs another season with the reserves (although the occasional Carling Cup / Europa League sub appearance wouldn't do any harm I suppose) and Sterling is still a long way off the first team. He's got massive potential - I said before I believe he's the talent we've had since Gerrard - but he's nowhere near the first team yet. Next season he'll probably step up to the reserves, then hopefully the season after he'll get a few minutes here and there in games of small importance. I agree Coady is just about ready to step up and get some first team game time, but I think Flanagan (who in fact was in the squad against West Ham last week), Robinson (who has already had some game time for the firsts) and Wisdom (a very strong no-nonsense centre back, who is rated very highly - had some injury problems so missed a lot of this season) and probably closer than Suso and Sterling currently.

Whilst on the topic of youth I thought the lads showed real character today beating a strong, physical Blackburn 5-1 to make it 9 wins on the bounce. It was a much weakened team with Suso, Flanagan, Robbo, Silva (another lad I rate highly) and Wisdom all either playing for the reserves, or not fit to play. As a follower of the youth I'm really looking forward to the FA Youth cup game against United next Sunday. With all the big names playing it should be a really good game (if you're a Liverpool fan).

Ray, I also don't understand why you'd want to get rid of England's under 19's captain, Shelvey. The lad is real quality. He's got all the key attributes to be a top attacking midfielder in the future. He's got a great shot and his passing isn't bad either. I hope you're hot basing you're opinion on the few sub appearances he's had for the first team - remember he's only recently turned 18! If you've watched him play for England's youth you'll be aware of what he can do. I think it would be a huge mistake if we let him go so young. But luckily Kenny rates him highly so it's not gonna happen!

I'd also add Joe Cole to the list of get rids - he's had enough chances imo and hasn't shown much and I'd also want to keep big Soto as back up and Lucas.[/quote']

Im glad we agree on something it's been a while :P

On the subject of Cody, Suso, Sterling when i say introduced to the first XI squad I mean in the context you were saying Carling Cup,Europa League(If we are in it) gradually introduce them the minutes will do them good and I believe the gentle introduction is what they need.

Cody is obviously the one most likely as he is physically more developed and I agree with sterling to a certain extent, but with Suso id have him on the bench the odd 10mins here and there. IMO he already has more quality and more to his game than the likes of Spearing/Shelvey and i really dont wanna see him end up like Pacheco, he is miles to talented for that.

Ive seen Shelvey for England youth, Liverpool games both first team/reserves and I like to think (though most will disagree :P) that i have an eye for a player and I dont feel that he will be good enough, my personal opinion I just dont see in him the things I see in others. With regards to Flanagan/Robinson i agree as I said in previous posts they have the potential to make it but I think next season will be to soon. Wisdom I agree is very promising the partnership with Cody for the Victorious England was it U-17,U-18 cant remember side was fantastic, though personally I think Cody is going to be the better player.

Like you I really am a keen follower of the academy, sadly I wont be able to see the Youth cup game next Sunday on the day as Im taking my daughter to Eurodisney for a weekend break but will record it and watch it when I get back Monday evening. Two successive Sunday victories over the Mancs would be very very nice :)

Carroll on the bench today' date=' hopefully he might get a few minutes towards end of second half.[/quote']

Was watching Sunday Supplement this morning and the chaps on there were rather doubtful of him making any appearance at all. Basically questioned his match fitness / sharpness and weight ! Which is fair enough, he wasnt involved with the reserve game this week at any level :confused:

Surely just a ploy to get the fans going ? Suppose if things are going against you, it might be worth sticking him on but i wouldnt expect to much. :-/

Bit risky putting him on at all IMO considering the length of time he has been out, the lack of training and game time even at reserve level not to mention his apparent ( i say that because im going off what the programme said the morning ) weight issues. His injury is one of those that can last months due to loads of little set backs. You really shouldnt be rushing him back if thats the case.

Was watching Sunday Supplement this morning and the chaps on there were rather doubtful of him making any appearance at all. Basically questioned his match fitness / sharpness and weight ! Which is fair enough' date=' he wasnt involved with the reserve game this week at any level :confused:

Surely just a ploy to get the fans going ? Suppose if things are going against you, it might be worth sticking him on but i wouldnt expect to much. :-/

Bit risky putting him on at all IMO considering the length of time he has been out, the lack of training and game time even at reserve level not to mention his apparent ( i say that because im going off what the programme said the morning ) weight issues. His injury is one of those that can last months due to loads of little set backs. You really shouldnt be rushing him back if thats the case.[/quote']

I just wish we'd stop signing injured players :confused: