Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Depends on what you are looking for.

TBH I am quite disillusioned with most of the names we are being heavily linked to, obviously not all reports are gunna be true and most of it is just speculation but I cant be the only person disillusioned with names such as Dann,Downing,Izaguirre,Mccarthy (10m-seriously :eek:) Cattermole to name but a few.

None of those players are at the quality needed and are all fairly uninspiring I just hope and pray we can do better than that bunch for example or we are in trouble. Those type of players are not gunna help us progress.

Thats the only problem I can see with Dalglish possibly dont get me wrong the guy is a legend but I can see him wanting British players which is fine but they have to be of the required quality, not like the bunch above who IMO are not up to top four class and most of them vastly overpriced.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Anzhi were taken over by a billionaire' date=' theyve already signed high profile players, Anzhi and Dszusdak have got an agreement done, all they need is psv to accept, he would be better of at pool though.[/quote']

Is he definately off to Anzhi? Because even though there isn't much talk about Dzsudzsak to Liverpool I could see it happening. One of our feeder clubs is from Hungary I think (MTK Hungaria FC?), and we do have a few players from Hungary throughout our teams such as Gulacsi and a few in the under 18's squad I think.

I would not mind Enrique at Liverpool because I think Coentrao will go to Real and will want champions league. He is a decent player and I think we could get better but it would be hard. Baines would not come to LFC imo, don't know much about Cissokho and there hasn't been much talk about others.

As for the centre backs I believe we do need another, mainly because of Carragher getting older and Agger being so injury prone. Wouldn't mind if we got any of Cahill, Dann or Sakho.

Adam would be a good signing because as everyone is saying his set pieces are brilliant and we do not have anyone who is consistently good at them in the squad tbh. Apart from Aurelio who is always injured.

I don't really know what to say about wingers as we have been linked with so many, but I think Young is no big loss if we don't get him. Would be happy with most we are linked with especially Mata who I think we do have a good chance of getting.

I also think we need another striker as back up because we only really have N'gog and cannot really rely on him to get goals when Carroll/Suarez are injured.

Dann' date='Downing,Izaguirre,Mccarthy (10m-seriously :eek:) Cattermole to name but a few.[/quote']

mccarthy is a very good player who will only get better, definitely one to be looking at

and scott dann - decent player and wouldnt cost much, would rather have him for a few million and £30k a week than cahill at £15m+ and his reportedly ridiculous wage demands of near £100k a week

and today in the echo, ngog for sale for £8m :D

mccarthy is a very good player who will only get better' date=' definitely one to be looking at

and scott dann - decent player and wouldnt cost much, would rather have him for a few million and £30k a week than cahill at £15m+ and his reportedly ridiculous wage demands of near £100k a week

and today in the echo, ngog for sale for £8m :D[/quote']

Well everything I read has Dann at 10M+ IMO very overpriced.

Mccarthy aint really proved much to me, if you cant stick out at a club like Wigan then you aint gunna stick out at Liverpool. Seen prices between 10-15m and he is nowhere near worth it. He wouldnt even be in the first XI and we already have Meireles,Gerrard,Lucas,Spearing cant see him getting in front of the first three because he is nowhere near as good. A lot of money to waste on a squad player who really has proven nothing. There in lies the problem all the names quoted wont improve us and whats the point otherwise they have got to be better than what we already have and Mccarthy dont fit that criteria in my eyes at all.

Nothing is quite as horrificlly overpriced as N'Gog 8m...seriously if we got anywhere near half that id gobble it up in an instant. Nobody of sane mind would pay anywhere near 8M for him :P

Well everything I read has Dann at 10M+ IMO very overpriced.

Mccarthy aint really proved much to me' date=' if you cant stick out at a club like Wigan then you aint gunna stick out at Liverpool. Seen prices between 10-15m and he is nowhere near worth it. [/quote']

neither of them are worth £10m (or not yet in mccarthys case) but say £5-6m for dann (who i've heard really wants to come here) and around £7-8m for mccarthy would be decent rumours, would much rather that than the 'cattermole for £12m' one

neither of them are worth £10m (or not yet in mccarthys case) but say £5-6m for dann (who i've heard really wants to come here) and around £7-8m for mccarthy would be decent rumours' date=' would much rather that than the 'cattermole for £12m' one[/quote']

Weren't you heavily linked with McCarthy when he was 16 or 17? Very good player and based on potential alone definitely worth 10-15m although I would have thought N'Zogbia should've been your priority...

neither of them are worth £10m (or not yet in mccarthys case) but say £5-6m for dann (who i've heard really wants to come here) and around £7-8m for mccarthy would be decent rumours' date=' would much rather that than the 'cattermole for £12m' one[/quote']

Dann might be an option at that price but no more, no doubt he would want to come here as he is a massive Liverpool fan by all accounts but he has been a long time out injured and with that always carries a risk.

Yep Mccarthy turned us down a few years ago and probably wisely so as he has been given the chance to play and develop at Wigan, however I still dont think he is good enough to really stake a claim as a member of the first XI at liverpool and personally I aint seen enough to suggest he is gunna be a top level player.

Certainly agree with the Cattermole comments the guy is useless and has been massively over-hyped in the past, he almost definetley should be nowhere near a side chasing honours.

I've heard he has said quite a few things about Liverpool since he has left' date=' but now all is forgiven from me.[/quote']

I never had any bad feelings for him even when he did leave, lets face it, with the situation we were in, everyone wanted to do a runner, and when Barca come calling, then that just makes your decision easier. He's won the Champions League now, something he wasn't able to achieve with us, and ofcourse he's grateful for the work that Liverpool and Rafa have doe with him to transform him bring being a hammer bench warmer to Argentina's captain.

Only thing i was mad about was the excuses he gave.

Javier Mascherano is a Legend

Did you see that muppet Gary Neville's face....it was one of those moments you just dream of....Golddust :P:p:p

Seeing whiskey nose's interview was even more hilarious, i reckon he was about to burst in to tears lol :P

Said it in January and just been talking about it on another thread' date=' would love to see us sign Nzogbia from Wigan.

Shouldn't cost a bomb and would be just what we need imo, I would prefer him to Young (or both :P )[/quote']

It will be interesting to see where he will End up,He is really good player.

The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a terrible start. But there is light at the end of this long tunnel now. Hicks and Gillette have crawled back under their rock and the king has ascended back to the throne.

I have to say I have complete faith in our new owners. They're not over promising like the previous clowns but going about their business quietly in the background.

Reasons LFC fans can feel positivity with these new owners:

- Most obviously since their takeover they've removed the crippling debt which was hanging around our necks like a 100 ton anchor. Admittedly, whilst they did get us on the cheap, there can be no doubt they are Liverpool's saviours. We were going under, - RBS were going to make an example of Liverpool Football Club and they wanted their dollar!

- They removed Hodgson, but did it quick and decisively. (Think about how West Ham went about trying to appoint O'Neill behind Avram's back. None of those shannanigans here!) Furthermore they listened to the fans and appointed the King, at first on a 6 month contract. Which I think was the correct decision.

- Torres had a hissy fit and thought he was too fantastic to not be involved in European football. The owners acted to extract the maximum amount from Chelsea and then make that money immediately available for reinvestment to Comolli. This shows 2 things:

1. They understand the Liverpool mantra: no player is bigger than the club.

2. They aren't trying to make a quick buck by selling off stars and not reinvesting the cash.

- The appointment of Comolli... Director of Football position is not always a particularly popular role in English football. But to me the appointment of Comolli tells me the club has a strategy moving forward. And that is crucial. Comolli also has a decent enough record of unearthing gems. The strategy certainly appears to be investing in youthful players.

- They are taking their time to decide the correct way forward with regards to development of a Stanley Park stadium or redevelopment of Anfield. They have said that if Anfield is redeveloped they will not sell the naming rights. Look at the cowboy Mike Ashley at Newcastle. He hasn't shown same respect to the Newcastle fans with St James Park.

- The fans have felt alienated from the club over the past few years with the cowboys we had running the place. How do the new owners rectify this? Create the Liverpool Football Club Supporters Committee. In my opinion this is a fantastic development! Ok, it is only early stages with the Committee only being agreed in the last week or so. But this shows that they want to get the fans back involved in the club and this committee will be a strong voice for all LFC fans. The committee is made up of fans, each of whom represent a particular group of fans: Fans from local area, fans who live away from Liverpool, fans from abroad, ethnic minority group fans, LGBT fans, fans suffering with disabilities and so on. This committee will meet and discuss issues pertaining to fans and the club will act on any issues arising if it sees fit. Fantastic.

- The owners are some of the top spenders in MLB. Never scared of reaching into their wallets.

- Back in January the owners said that the main spend on transfers would be in summer transfer window but that there would be incomings in January. Now, we were bidding for Suarez before Torres had his sulk. And Kenny has said the owners were disappointed we didn't get more faces into the club in January. Now lets remember this: The owners said most transfer activity will obviously be in the summer yet with our bids in January it looked as though we could have had a net spend of anything from £30 Million +. (Suarez, and bids for Adam and possibly A. Young if you believe reports).

Now our net spend was probably somewhere between £1 Million to £5 Million).

My point? I honestly think their is oodles of money available for transfers this summer, but the money will be spent wisely.

If you're still with me after my ramblings I'd like to have a look at the squad and discuss my opinions on what is required and transfer rumours.

Goalkeepers:

Reina

Jones

Gulacsi

Note: It looks like Reina is staying now. Earlier on in the season I wasn't so sure. Apparently he has had a reassuring chat with Damien Comolli.... I imagine Comolli has reassured him big cash will be spent in the summer.

Defence:

Agger - keep

Kyrgiakos - Squad player or sell

Wilson - Give a few more games, play in cups

Carragher - keep (obviously)

Skrtel - keep

Ayala - loan out for 6 months then reassess

Robinson - Loan out for 6 months or give run out in cups

Flanagan - Loan out for 6 months or give run out in cups

Johnson - keep

Kelly - keep

Konchesky Sell

Midfield:

Meireles - keep

Gerrard - keep

Maxi - squad player or sell

J. Cole - sell

Lucas - keep

Aquilani - sell? If he wants out. Kenny is playing his cards for the right price in my humble opinion

Spearing - keep / squad player

Poulsen - sell

Shelvey - keep / squad player

Forward:

Jovanovic - Sell

N'gog - Sell

Kuyt

Pacheco - loan out again - Norwich would probably be a welcoming home.

Carroll

Suarez

Who to bring in & what are the rumours

Before I start let me say that it is important to consider what system/formation Dalglish (and Clarke) will be looking to play. I have a feeling we may play a 4-3-3. That's just my opinion, but I obviously even if you recruited with a 4-3-3 in mind you need to able to field a team for other formations eg. 4-4-2.

Lets remember Hodgson brought in some dross (with exception of Meireles). Kenny has said quite categorically that he will only bring in players of the highest calibre. Hopefully that means that we wont be bringing in 5-10 medicore players but rather 3 or 4 top class players.

Defence:

Left back

Obviously we need a Lb. Rumours I am aware of are: Leighton Baines (unlikely) and Fabio Coentrao (again unlikely). Coentrao has been reported saying he will only leave Benfica for Real Madrid. I wanted Taye Taiwo but he has since moved to Milan. I wouldn't mind Leighton Baines either but can't see him crossing Merseyside. The final rumour I'm aware of is Jose Enrique at Newcastle. This the one looking most likely at the moment. Opinions on Enrique?

If we played a 4-3-3 someone like Coentrao would be formidable - 2 attacking full backs.

Centre Backs

I think CB position is fairly strong. We've been linked with Carr from Birmingham. He has been solid but if we do get a CB I would be in favour of signing Samba from Blackburn. Big, strong and proven premier league experience. Furthermore a decent asset for both offensive and defensive set pieces.

I'd be in favour of getting Danny Wilson games at CB to see what he's made of, and I'd also welcome Martin Kelly being given a run in that position.

Right Back

Fine in my opinion. Good cover from Kelly, Flanagan, Robinson and even Carragher.

Midfield:

Centre Midfield

One way or another we need a bit more creativity, however I think CM is fine and there is good cover. If we do let Aquilani go then I'd be in favour of recruiting a midfield terrier/ball winner. Someone to replace Mascherano. Lass Diarra anyone?

Spearing has mature lot this season, and I think Shelvey is going to come good too given time. He'll provide incisive passing in my opinion.

I would not support over recruitment into this position in this window because we need to give our youth a chance to develop.

Creative/Wide Midfield and Forwards:

I've lumped these together because I think in a 4-3-3 the wide players can be considered forwards or creative/attacking midfielders.

Gossip/Rumours that come to mind: Marveaux, Hazard, A Young, Downing, and Sergio Aguero.

In my mind this is the position that needs strengthening. If we play a 4-3-3 a player like Aguero would be fantastic. Imagine Suarez-Carroll-Aguero. Boy would that be an explosive frontline! Kuyt would also operate on a rotation basis and Maxi could provide decent enough cover.

Non Liverpool fans say: "Why would Aguero go to Liverpool? No European football and it's a club in decline". My response is this: Could the same not have been said of Suarez? Did David Silva, Toure, Tevez, Balotelli, etc go to Man City in the Champions League? NO. They were sold by the ambition and perhaps cash played a part.

Liverpool is going to re-emerge this season and if Comolli can persuade players of our intentions I don't doubt we could attract these players. With all of our focus on the league I honestly think we have a fantastic shot at top 4, if not better. Lets remember: Tottenham have to contend with the fixture hell, which is the Europa League. Man City will have eyes on Europe. Arsenal are inconsistent. Chelsea are in management disarray and United's team is in a period of change - introducing youngsters to replace Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Van der sarr, etc.

This years EPL was won with far fewer points than in most recent years. That tells me that the top teams have dropped off the pace a little this year. I think (as an LFC fan) it is our time to pounce.

So all you have to show for this season is beating us 3-1?

CHAMP19NS

Your silly insults wont work on this thread mate :D ' date=' we have been there seen it and heard it all before.

Regardless of results, position and trophy count we will still back the side unlike certain other sides :o your fans voices sure do seem to dissapear during bad results as does your attendance and public appearances :P

Kenny could rebuild for the next X amount of years witout winning anything and he will be backed by the fans due to what hes done for the club, Shame Fergie wasnt allowed the same respect a few years back after everything he had done for you :o;)

Now if you don't have anything decent to post run along back to your thread as you won't find people so easy to wind up on here, on the other hand should your "touchy" thread get invaded with "banter" you guys will only go crying to the mods for protection :D [b']AGAIN![/b]