Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

IMO Liverpool really have to make the most of this chance. At the begining of this season I myself (don't know about others) was thinking with a big 6 Liverpool will have one hell of a challange to get back into the UCL' date=' which is where they are supposed to be really. But they have had a revival that has probably even surprised Liverpool fans with its success, attracted quality players (namely Suarez) still and even better the big 6 looks to be a big 3. And there is no reason why Liverpool cannot jump ahead of City-it will be hard but Champions League football isn't going to come easy. And I personally feel Liverpool can with luck compete with City, who were coincidentally EQUAL on points with Cheslea-only goal difference made them third.

I am not saying Liverpool for second by any means, but at the begining of this season and especially mid-way I wouldn't have said that Liverpool have anywhere near as much as a chance as they do now.

By the way-Downing or N'Zogbia? Downing is 12-15 million, N'Zogbia 9 at least, depends on who else bids.

Downing is more of a traditional winger who can put in a good cross, especialy with Carroll wheras N'Zogbia is a cut inside from the right more, although can play left to.

Speaking of Carroll, Liverpool were perfctly fine without him-will he start? A notable game would be the Man City one, but they were in good form without him tbh. So do people think he will start?[/quote']

Surprised you are so optimistic about Liverpool's chances of champions league this season after their signings so far. I kind of expect optimism from Liverpool fans because of Kenny coming back etc, but most non-Liverpool fans I've spoken too really don't think the teams improving that much with these signings. Although I think spending big is only going to improve the squad, I think they're still weaker than the top 4, especially when you consider only Man U have actually spent so far. I think most people expect Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal to spend this transfer window which would put them in a much better position at the start of the season than Liverpool. From reading other peoples opinions I know people disagree with this, but I can't see how replacing Meireles with Adam benefits the team. Not sure how much truth was in that story though...

Gunna be an interesting transfer window, that's for sure.

Surprised you are so optimistic about Liverpool's chances of champions league this season after their signings so far. I kind of expect optimism from Liverpool fans because of Kenny coming back etc' date=' but most non-Liverpool fans I've spoken too really don't think the teams improving that much with these signings. Although I think spending big is only going to improve the squad, I think they're still weaker than the top 4, especially when you consider only Man U have actually spent so far. I think most people expect Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal to spend this transfer window which would put them in a much better position at the start of the season than Liverpool. From reading other peoples opinions I know people disagree with this, but I can't see how replacing Meireles with Adam benefits the team. Not sure how much truth was in that story though...

Gunna be an interesting transfer window, that's for sure.[/quote']

Last season Arsenal were abysmal and the sale of Fabregas is hardly going to help. Arsenal do make signings who have an impact like Arshavin and Chamakh but they both dropped form significantly towards the latter part of the season so did not really help the squad. Chamakh got his last league goal against Aston Villa way back in November!! and his last goal in any competitons I believe was against Leyton Orient the same month. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I remember correctly.

Tottenham also do not like to me as convincing fourth place competitors as previously, and with these two putting less of a fight up for fourth place Liverpool can grab it with luck.

The optimism is that with Kenny in charge they won (just looked:p) 14, drew 3 and lost 2. So despite having a squad mid-season and Jan not being the best time to buy players they still put out form good enough to challange fo the top four places. They also beat United, City, Chelsea maybe? Which shows against big teams they can perform (unlike Tottenham whos record against the big teams is shocking) and therefore can also have a chance in the cups.

I dont get why your so Anti Arsenal ? They were abysmal for a couple of months which cost them dear but they are still a quality team that wait for it... United failed to beat in there last encounter. Fine to believe Liverpool will do well next season, inaccurate to discard to Arsenal.

I dont get why your so Anti Arsenal ? They were abysmal for a couple of months which cost them dear but they are still a quality team that wait for it... United failed to beat in there last encounter. Fine to believe Liverpool will do well next season' date=' inaccurate to discard to Arsenal.[/quote']

I don't discard them. They can beat United but when it mattered did they? No-they lost in the cup. And they may beat Birmingham normally but when it mattered did they? Again, no. And while they were unlucky in drawing barca, THEY PUT THEMSELVES in that position in the first place by not topping thier group (I think, and it wasn't a group of death either).

And losing your best player in Fabregas isn't going to help. Sagna, Wilshere, RVP and Fabregas are the few players there who can really be relied on, and losing your star man is hardly going to help.

I didn't discard Arsenal as much years before, but they have done this for 6 years now. And when given the chance even against Birmingham they flop. And this may sound disrespectful, but oppostion are going to be MUCH better than Championship Birmingham if you want trophies, especially not just one-offs.

I don't discard them. They can beat United but when it mattered did they? No-they lost in the cup. And they may beat Birmingham normally but when it mattered did they? Again' date=' no. And while they were unlucky in drawing barca, THEY PUT THEMSELVES in that position in the first place by not topping thier group (I think, and it wasn't a group of death either).

And losing your best player in Fabregas isn't going to help. Sagna, Wilshere, RVP and Fabregas are the few players there who can really be relied on, and losing your star man is hardly going to help.

I didn't discard Arsenal as much years before, but they have done this for 6 years now. And when given the chance even against Birmingham they flop. And this may sound disrespectful, but oppostion are going to be MUCH better than Championship Birmingham if you want trophies, especially not just one-offs.[/quote']

Im not going to go into a massive debate on here, might take it across to the Arsenal thread pal, but the vast majority of your posts on the United, Liverpool and Arsenal thread are about how much of a joke Arsenal are.

Im not going to go into a massive debate on here' date=' might take it across to the Arsenal thread pal, but the vast majority of your posts on the United, Liverpool and Arsenal thread are about how much of a joke Arsenal are.[/quote']

I do give good reason for that opinion. And I believe it is relavent since Liverpool will be competing with them for the big four and the failure of Arsenal and Tottenham could help that. I don't just mention Arsenal-I also said that Tottenham have a horrendous record against the big four. So while I may criticise Arsenal, I back up my views with valid evidence i feel so cannot be criticised for it too much.

Last season Arsenal were abysmal and the sale of Fabregas is hardly going to help. Arsenal do make signings who have an impact like Arshavin and Chamakh but they both dropped form significantly towards the latter part of the season so did not really help the squad. Chamakh got his last league goal against Aston Villa way back in November!! and his last goal in any competitons I believe was against Leyton Orient the same month. I may be wrong' date=' but I am pretty sure I remember correctly.

Tottenham also do not like to me as convincing fourth place competitors as previously, and with these two putting less of a fight up for fourth place Liverpool can grab it with luck.

The optimism is that with Kenny in charge they won (just looked:p) 14, drew 3 and lost 2. So despite having a squad mid-season and Jan not being the best time to buy players they still put out form good enough to challange fo the top four places. They also beat United, City, Chelsea maybe? Which shows against big teams they can perform (unlike Tottenham whos record against the big teams is shocking) and therefore can also have a chance in the cups.[/quote']

Your "facts" as per normal are completely wrong, Kenny did not have the record you have wrote down at all. Off the top of my head the team lost to Blackpool,West Ham,Villa,Tottenham in the League. Kenny has done a great job just not the one you are indicating-factually

Best of luck to Sammy Lee as Burs said a true red legend but with the arrival of Clarke was always a bit of a debate as to his long term future.

Did Clarke come in as a first team coach initially Ray?

That was his official title, him and Sammy shared the coaching so we were told and thats what happened, but really assistant manager was his role and Keny's right hand man this just makes it more official.

Eithr way whatever title you give him he has long proved to be a very very good coach and his appointment was another piece of good work by Kenny as he is well respected with many good ideas as a coach, by all accounts he has made training more fun which i think is important but also works well on many other aspects.

Sammy Lee was motivational coach and tried to do stuff with the players to improve their confidence and self belief. I like Sammy and you can tell he loves the club just from when the camera focuses on the dugout during TV games.

But maybe his stuff wasn't working, most of our players did not look like they wanted to be on the pitch over the past couple of seasons.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/06/30/2554201/liverpools-failure-to-sell-high-earners-resulted-in-missing

Looks like some of the Benitez and Hodgson signings are still holding Liverpool back.

Degen, Konchesky, J.Cole, Jovanovic and Poulsen will probably be hard to shift-even if Liverpool practically give them away (Degen, Jovanovic and Cole were free transfers anyway I think) then the players may not accept lower wages elsewhere (J. Cole in on 90k a week for example). But it has been so long since any of these players impressed at all buyers will be hard to find, with teams who can afford their wages probably already having better options most likely.

N'gog is moving to Sunderland anyway. But as for Aquilani does Kenny still want him hence the too high asking price (Liverpool still value him) or is it just Liverpool trying to get back some of the fee they paid but buyers wanting better value?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/06/30/2554201/liverpools-failure-to-sell-high-earners-resulted-in-missing

Looks like some of the Benitez and Hodgson signings are still holding Liverpool back.

Degen' date=' Konchesky, J.Cole, Jovanovic and Poulsen will probably be hard to shift-even if Liverpool practically give them away (Degen, Jovanovic and Cole were free transfers anyway I think) then the players may not accept lower wages elsewhere (J. Cole in on 90k a week for example). But it has been so long since any of these players impressed at all buyers will be hard to find, with teams who can afford their wages probably already having better options most likely.

N'gog is moving to Sunderland anyway. But as for Aquilani does Kenny still want him hence the too high asking price (Liverpool still value him) or is it just Liverpool trying to get back some of the fee they paid but buyers wanting better value?[/quote']

I read that Jovanovic is actually on £120k a week! To get rid of him we are going to have to end up paying at least 90k a week to him anyway, cant see any team willing to offer him more than 30k to join them.

That's the thing with free transfers people assume because they are free that when we sell them for money we make a great deal. But they always have massive wages and quite often do nothing to earn them.

I read that Jovanovic is actually on £120k a week! To get rid of him we are going to have to end up paying at least 90k a week to him anyway' date=' cant see any team willing to offer him more than 30k to join them.

That's the thing with free transfers people assume because they are free that when we sell them for money we make a great deal. But they always have massive wages and quite often do nothing to earn them.[/quote']

Jovanovic at 120k a week? Cole at 90? I would really like to know what Aquilani is on. I think that footballers wages can to a certain extent be justified-the club gains a lot of money from the image rights, merchandise and most importantly sucess (linked to fan base) that a good player can bring. But for players like the above to be on wages like that is truly incredible!

I mean Evra and Vidic are on around 100k a week and they are clearly much better than the above-why on earth would someone offer that money to those players?:confused: Saying this does not mean I believe United don't do it-I know they have one of the largest wage bills in the EPL. Owen on 50k! It is a statement that can probably be applied to many teams in European football.

Jovanovic at 120k a week? Cole at 90? I would really like to know what Aquilani is on. I think that footballers wages can to a certain extent be justified-the club gains a lot of money from the image rights' date=' merchandise and most importantly sucess (linked to fan base) that a good player can bring. But for players like the above to be on wages like that is truly incredible!

I mean Evra and Vidic are on around 100k a week and they are clearly much better than the above-why on earth would someone offer that money to those players?:confused: Saying this does not mean I believe United don't do it-I know they have one of the largest wage bills in the EPL. Owen on 50k! It is a statement that can probably be applied to many teams in European football.[/quote']

Owen on 50k a week, is good value, compared to Jovanovic on 120k a week though.

Last season Arsenal were abysmal and the sale of Fabregas is hardly going to help. Arsenal do make signings who have an impact like Arshavin and Chamakh but they both dropped form significantly towards the latter part of the season so did not really help the squad. Chamakh got his last league goal against Aston Villa way back in November!! and his last goal in any competitons I believe was against Leyton Orient the same month. I may be wrong' date=' but I am pretty sure I remember correctly.

The optimism is that with Kenny in charge they won (just looked:p) 14, drew 3 and lost 2. So despite having a squad mid-season and Jan not being the best time to buy players they still put out form good enough to challange fo the top four places. They also beat United, City, Chelsea maybe? Which shows against big teams they can perform (unlike Tottenham whos record against the big teams is shocking) and therefore can also have a chance in the cups.[/quote']

It's crazy how much you dislike arsenal. They played large parts of the season with their best defender, midfielder and striker missing and still managed to stay competitive until the last part of the season. Don't really think you can say Arshavin and Chamakh didn't help the squad just after you say they had a good initial impact. Arshavin despite dropping off has had some really influential performances and Chamakh scored 7 last year and was back up to RVP, not exactly terrible.

I don't like Tottenham, but if they keep their squad together they have the quality to challenge at least as much as Liverpool. Saying Liverpool can challenge "with luck" is pretty pointless, I could say that about any team around the top 6. Despite beating United, City and Chelsea they lost to small teams like West Brom, West Ham, Blackpool and Wolves.

It's crazy how much you dislike arsenal. They played large parts of the season with their best defender' date=' midfielder and striker missing and still managed to stay competitive until the last part of the season. Don't really think you can say Arshavin and Chamakh didn't help the squad just after you say they had a good initial impact. Arshavin despite dropping off has had some really influential performances and Chamakh scored 7 last year and was back up to RVP, not exactly terrible.

But that does not explain for the last 5 years plus. They even look in danger of slipping from the Champions League! And they will be permamently missing their best midfielder if Fab leaves as expected. And Van Persie has NEVER in his entire professional career played 30 or more league games in a season. So if a team makes him a key part of their plans then expect a big problem-in his entire career so far he has been unable to contribute for even close to a whole season. And still people believe the "if RVP was fit" idea. Well he never has been and that doesn't look to change. In his 7 years at Arsenal he has averaged 21 league games a season-hardly close to the 38 they play. So I think there is good reason for a pessimistic approach towards Arsenal-two of their stars are not realistically looking like having a large contribution to their coming season.

I don't like Tottenham, but if they keep their squad together they have the quality to challenge at least as much as Liverpool. Saying Liverpool can challenge "with luck" is pretty pointless, I could say that about any team around the top 6. Despite beating United, City and Chelsea they lost to small teams like West Brom, West Ham, Blackpool and Wolves.

Tottenham lack spending power. They can't really buy much if they have so much dead wood in the team taking up huge amounts of wages. And if they can't buy how can they get a better team, in particular striker? Defoe and Crouch both got 8 league goals combined last season ( four each). And Crouch has played the most out of all the forwards this season so his pitiful four goals isn't going to help Tottenham very much IMO. Bale and VDV are the only players who really scored for Spurs last season. Liverpool on the other hand at least have reasonable quality all over the pitch as well as more money to spend. So I believe that Arsenal and Tottenham need more of a miracle than luck to finish highly wheras Liverpool, City, Chelsea and United have themselves in stronger positions.

Tottenham lack spending power. They can't really buy much if they have so much dead wood in the team taking up huge amounts of wages. And if they can't buy how can they get a better team' date=' in particular striker? Defoe and Crouch both got 8 league goals combined last season ( four each). And Crouch has played the most out of all the forwards this season so his pitiful four goals isn't going to help Tottenham very much IMO. Bale and VDV are the only players who really scored for Spurs last season.[b'] Liverpool on the other hand at least have reasonable quality all over the pitch [/b]as well as more money to spend. So I believe that Arsenal and Tottenham need more of a miracle than luck to finish highly wheras Liverpool, City, Chelsea and United have themselves in stronger positions.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Justify your response. Give some reasons why I may be wrong.

Liverpool DO NOT have reasonable quality all over the pitch, their squad is terrible. The only 'Pool that'd get in the Arsenal are Reina, possibly Suarez and maybe at a stretch Gerrard. Just because they're spending multi millions on average players doesn't mean they're going to do well.

Liverpool DO NOT have reasonable quality all over the pitch' date=' their squad is terrible. The only 'Pool that'd get in the Arsenal are Reina, possibly Suarez and maybe at a stretch Gerrard. Just because they're spending multi millions on average players doesn't mean they're going to do well.[/quote']

I'd prefer Lucas over Song, and Carragher over.... who-ever partners Vermaelen.

Liverpool DO NOT have reasonable quality all over the pitch' date=' their squad is terrible. The only 'Pool that'd get in the Arsenal are Reina, possibly Suarez and maybe at a stretch Gerrard. Just because they're spending multi millions on average players doesn't mean they're going to do well.[/quote']

Liverpool have been poor during recent seasons but under Benitez and Hodgson who can blame them? The transfers of these managers was pretty dire let alone the way they used the players already at the club.

Arsenal have been dissapointing in the last 6 years but, unlike Liverpool, they are keeping the same manager and also selling thier best player. When United sold Ronaldo at least they had some experienced and quality players to fall back on. However, Arsenal cannot afford to weaken thier squad and while Liverpool look to be getting stronger Arsenal seem stuck in a rut IMO.

I'd prefer Lucas over Song' date=' and Carragher over.... who-ever partners Vermaelen.[/quote']

Older defenders provide experience. (Lets say 30+). United have Ferdinand. Chelsea Terry. City Toure. Liverpool Carragher. Arsenal...(drum roll)...SQUILLACI!!!

Liverpool have been poor during recent seasons but under Benitez and Hodgson who can blame them? The transfers of these managers was pretty dire let alone the way they used the players already at the club.

Arsenal have been dissapointing in the last 6 years but' date=' unlike Liverpool, they are keeping the same manager and also selling thier best player. When United sold Ronaldo at least they had some experienced and quality players to fall back on. However, Arsenal cannot afford to weaken thier squad and while Liverpool look to be getting stronger Arsenal seem stuck in a rut IMO[/b'].

WOW just WOW you have said the same thing in the arsenal thread, chelsea thread, united thread and now liverpool thread

Arsenal have lost big name in the past but we still finish in the top 4 wenger refused to spend we still finish in the top 4. yes we haven't won anything in 6 years same with liverpool only good thing about them is because now the have money they are spending buying 35 million for carol and 25 million for suarez thats good for them and played well in last couple games of the season

I'd prefer Lucas over Song' date=' and Carragher over.... who-ever partners Vermaelen.[/quote']

Song's a far superior player to Lucas, he's just stupid. A couple of years ago i might have agreed on Carragher. Not now though, i'd take both Koscielny and Djourou over him.