Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Song's a far superior player to Lucas' date=' he's just stupid. A couple of years ago i might have agreed on Carragher. Not now though, i'd take both Koscielny and Djourou over him.[/quote']

Song isn't disciplined, he's a better PLAYER than Lucas, but not a better DM imo.

Carragher provides experience, and he's way better than dumb and dumber.

But its all a matter of opinion.

Liverpool have been poor during recent seasons but under Benitez and Hodgson who can blame them? The transfers of these managers was pretty dire let alone the way they used the players already at the club.

Arsenal have been dissapointing in the last 6 years but' date=' unlike Liverpool, they are keeping the same manager and also selling thier best player. When United sold Ronaldo at least they had some experienced and quality players to fall back on. However, Arsenal cannot afford to weaken thier squad and while Liverpool look to be getting stronger Arsenal seem stuck in a rut IMO.[/quote']

Arsenal are stuck in a rut, you're right, but their squad, despite all it's flaws, is still far better then Liverpool's. Once Wenger and our spineless, greedy board are hounded out after another dismal failure next year and Kroenke gets in a proper manager who will spend, Arsenal will be restored back to where they belong.

Song isn't disciplined' date=' he's a better PLAYER than Lucas, but not a better DM imo.

Carragher provides experience, and he's way better than dumb and dumber.

But its all a matter of opinion.[/quote']

Did you watch Koscielny against your lot (first leg)? He was IMMENSE. He gets an unfair rap in my eyes, first season here and he's done okay. Djourou's hit and miss but on his day is a top defender. Carragher's slow and old and way past his sell by date.

Did you watch Koscielny against your lot (first leg)? He was IMMENSE. He gets an unfair rap in my eyes' date=' first season here and he's done okay. Djourou's hit and miss but on his day is a top defender. Carragher's slow and old and way past his sell by date.[/quote']

Ludicrous statement Carragher has and still is a top-class defender. He had a dip in form but the last half of the season he was fantastic.

To compare him to Koscielny and Djourou is laughable they do not have half the nous that Carra has. Yes he has lost some pace but he never really had any he makes up for it through experience, reading of the game, assessing situations and decision making all of which he is far far superior to those two by a long way. Both in terms of ability and experience in the facets needed to make a really good CB.

Just because you are older and do not posess pace does not mean you are past it quite the opposite, CB you do not necessarily need pace, yes it is an advantage but you can componsate by positioning reading of the game etc as I have already described look at how good Sami Hyppia was age aint a barrier neither is pace.

I think if most sane people were to pick a CB out of all the Liverpool/Arsenal CB'S Carra is first on everybodys list, Vermelen had an excellent first season but he has question marks to answer after such a long-term injury. Carra was and still is one of the best CB'S to play in the Premier League.

Did you watch Koscielny against your lot (first leg)? He was IMMENSE. He gets an unfair rap in my eyes' date=' first season here and he's done okay. Djourou's hit and miss but on his day is a top defender. Carragher's slow and old and way past his sell by date.[/quote']

Thats the problem with bout 8/11 of the arsenal first team,

consistency. Half of the squad is inconsistent.

and lets see,

he's slow, but he makes up for it in other ways as ray says.

You dont see Man Utd looking to sell Vidic because he's slow.

Age? well you could do with a bit of experience, and most top teams have a aging CB, even "my lot".

Not saying they are bad, just that Carra is better.

Ludicrous statement Carragher has and still is a top-class defender. He had a dip in form but the last half of the season he was fantastic.

To compare him to Koscielny and Djourou is laughable they do not have half the nous that Carra has. Yes he has lost some pace but he never really had any he makes up for it through experience' date=' reading of the game, assessing situations and decision making all of which he is far far superior to those two by a long way. Both in terms of ability and experience in the facets needed to make a really good CB.

Just because you are older and do not posess pace does not mean you are past it quite the opposite, CB you do not necessarily need pace, yes it is an advantage but you can componsate by positioning reading of the game etc as I have already described look at how good Sami Hyppia was age aint a barrier neither is pace.

I think if[b'] most sane people [/b]were to pick a CB out of all the Liverpool/Arsenal CB'S Carra is first on everybodys list, Vermelen had an excellent first season but he has question marks to answer after such a long-term injury. Carra was and still is one of the best CB'S to play in the Premier League.

I think you mean they don't have half the scouse. I don't watch Liverpool all that regularly as they bore me but when i have watched them and Carragher, he looks shot.

And please don't resort to questioning my sanity, it's very petulant.

I think you mean they don't have half the scouse. I don't watch Liverpool all that regularly as they bore me but when i have watched them and Carragher' date=' he looks shot.

And please don't resort to questioning my sanity, it's very petulant.[/quote']

Dont make ludicrous statements and I wouldnt have to question your sanity would I?? ;):)

You kinda defeat your own argument when you say you dont watch Liverpool, if you find us boring dont watch, I really dont think any Liverpool fan is gunna be bothered if you find us exciting or not. We were certainly a lot better to watch than Arsenal were in the last few months of the season.

Arsenal are a good side and I certainly wouldnt write them off, but what happens in the summer as with so many sides could have a big bearing on there potential for next season. However it is all speculation so no point going round the houses until we all have something concreate to talk about

I think you mean they don't have half the scouse. I don't watch Liverpool all that regularly as they bore me but when i have watched them and Carragher' date=' he looks shot.

And please don't resort to questioning my sanity, it's very petulant.[/quote']

I dont think the sanity part was meant as an insult but eehhhh.

If you dont watch Liverpool often, then I don't think you are fit to comment on them.

Dont make ludicrous statements and I wouldnt have to question your sanity would I?? ;):)

You kinda defeat your own argument when you say you dont watch Liverpool' date=' if you find us boring dont watch, I really dont think any Liverpool fan is gunna be bothered if you find us exciting or not. We were certainly a lot better to watch than Arsenal were in the last few months of the season.

Arsenal are a good side and I certainly wouldnt write them off, but what happens in the summer as with so many sides could have a big bearing on there potential for next season. However it is all speculation so no point going round the houses until we all have something concreate to talk about[/quote']

I didn't say i don't watch them, i said i don't watch them that much. I see them regularly enough to make a judgement on them.

Arsenal haven't played good football on a consistance basis for 4 years now, don't believe the hype.

Liverpool have been poor during recent seasons but under Benitez and Hodgson who can blame them? The transfers of these managers was pretty dire let alone the way they used the players already at the club.

Think you mean our blood sucking owners' date=' board and hodge podge :)

Arsenal have been dissapointing in the last 6 years but, unlike Liverpool, they are keeping the same manager and also selling thier best player. When United sold Ronaldo at least they had some experienced and quality players to fall back on. However, Arsenal cannot afford to weaken thier squad and while Liverpool look to be getting stronger Arsenal seem stuck in a rut IMO.

Im not so sure about this, Arsenals squad since they started building the emirates has been on the decline but they always pull themselves into a top 4 spot, we haven't seen any strengthening from them as yet but you know they're gunna be making moves and they're only going to be stronger for it IMO. Cesc hasn't had that much of an impact this season so even if he gets moved on i don't think they'll suffer that much and the dressing room will be better for it, i personally think they should of got rid last season but that's easy to say when i support a different club, this isnt the 1st time Arsenals lost a big name either and for a change theyre actually in a position to get a decent pot of money out of it.

I agree it looks like Arsenal are stuck in a bit of a rut and we're on the rise because we've been pretty active in the market since Christmas, but we have yet to see Arsenals hand and if they can stump up the cash (which i can see no reason why not ?) then they're in the driving seat, if they dont, then something is seriously knackered in that club *shrug*

To compare him to Koscielny and Djourou is laughable they do not have half the nous that Carra has. Yes he has lost some pace but he never really had any he makes up for it through experience' date=' reading of the game, assessing situations and decision making all of which he is far far superior to those two by a long way. Both in terms of ability and experience in the facets needed to make a really good CB.

I think if most sane people were to pick a CB out of all the Liverpool/Arsenal CB'S Carra is first on everybodys list, Vermelen had an excellent first season but he has question marks to answer after such a long-term injury. Carra was and still is one of the best CB'S to play in the Premier League.[/quote']

i both agree and disagree :D, I think Carra went past his peak maybe a season or 2 back and is now on the slippery slope and going down, and his reading of the game isn't the best, hes been caught out a more than enough times and more so now hes knocking on a bit, if i compare him and Hyppia i actually think Hyppia aged the better of the 2 because Hyppia could read the game better than almost anyone (legend), but i do agree that hes better than what the gooners have to offer - Vermelen and he gets more stick than he should, Id like to see a fully fit Agger partner someone else in defence with Carra filling a Squad role this season because he still has plenty to offer.

Think you mean our blood sucking owners' date=' board and hodge podge :)

[/quote']

Agreed, won't take anything bad against Rafa, he's a Legend, basically put Liverpool on the map.

If you look at us when he joined us, average squad, and he tweaked with it slightly by bringing in Alonso, and got the best out of Gerrard, and won the European cup. Each season the team slowly improved in quality, and with time he built one of the best first 11's in the world. The spine of the side could've been the spine of any side in the world, Reina, Carra, Mash, Alonso, Torres and Gerrard. Closest any Liverpool manager has come to winning the Premier League, two major trophies to his name also, Rafa was nothing but a success at Liverpool, and it's frightening to think what Rafa would've achieved with more stability in the background.

Agreed' date=' won't take anything bad against Rafa, he's a Legend, basically put Liverpool on the map.

If you look at us when he joined us, average squad, and he tweaked with it slightly by bringing in Alonso, and got the best out of Gerrard, and won the European cup. Each season the team slowly improved in quality, and with time he built one of the best first 11's in the world. The spine of the side could've been the spine of any side in the world, Reina, Carra, Mash, Alonso, Torres and Gerrard. Closest any Liverpool manager has come to winning the Premier League, two major trophies to his name also, Rafa was nothing but a success at Liverpool, and it's frightening to think what Rafa would've achieved with more stability in the background.[/quote']

Pretty much spot on IMO, not to mention the negative transfer spend in the last 2 seasons and breaking even in the previous, the guy had the rug pulled from under his feet just as he was starting to dance

Pretty much spot on IMO' date=' not to mention the negative transfer spend in the last 2 seasons and breaking even in the previous, the guy had the rug pulled from under his feet just as he was starting to dance[/quote']

Rafa is a soldier, he continued to fight because he cared for Liverpool, and because he had respect for the work he had done in transforming the club, he didn't have to take all that BS from the two muppetfied cow rear end licking cowboys, but he stayed committed, and i respect him hugely for that. Top top man along with being a world class manager.

Rafa is a soldier' date=' he continued to fight because he cared for Liverpool, and because he had respect for the work he had done in transforming the club, he didn't have to take all that BS from the two muppetfied cow rear end licking cowboys, but he stayed committed, and i respect him hugely for that. Top top man along with being a world class manager.[/quote']

long live the rafalution !, makes me sick to think our club did that to him, i know things are different now but still :(

and yea i would've liked Clichy here but i expected him to go elsewhere, if only for the champs league, but now he has a bucket of money to go with it :]

ahh well, onwards and upwards :D

Did you watch Koscielny against your lot (first leg)?

you mean the first game of last season?? i went to that game and he was very shaky throughout

Pretty much spot on IMO' date=' not to mention the negative transfer spend in the last 2 seasons and breaking even in the previous, the guy had the rug pulled from under his feet just as he was starting to dance[/quote']

as great as it is to see kenny back i just wish we'd gotten these owners in 2007 instead as we were very much on the verge and would have probably won the league with more competent people running the club at the top as opposed to the likes of parry and purslow constantly screwing up

you mean the first game of last season?? i went to that game and he was very shaky throughout

as great as it is to see kenny back i just wish we'd gotten these owners in 2007 instead as we were very much on the verge and would have probably won the league with more competent people running the club at the top as opposed to the likes of parry and purslow constantly screwing up

I think he meant against Barce, as that comment was directed at me ;)

clear couple things up. jovanovic is on 120K a week but its due to us not giving him a signing on fee, instead it got divvied up and added to his wage packet. no idea what his actual wage is though

after reading the wickham story, seems like we are now all of a sudden a sell to buy club? i just hope we are actively touting our deadwood to as many clubs as possible. cole, jovanovic, insua, konchesky, poulsen all could do a job for somebody....

carra is a legend and top top defender still. the problem isnt his pace or whatever rubbish gets spouted, its the partner he has. just look at him and hyypia, great combination of a reader and a runner, hyypia was the positional defender, carra got the tackles in and did the leg work. now is the time for carra to take the positional part of the game and someone to do the running. agger is injury prone, srktel is just a brute and krygiakos is past it but commited to the cause. would love us to pursue zapata or dann to new carra's new cb partner.

the most underrated defender in the prem imo. always has been.

clear couple things up. jovanovic is on 120K a week but its due to us not giving him a signing on fee' date=' instead it got divvied up and added to his wage packet. no idea what his actual wage is though[/quote']

im pretty sure its in the region of 70k with the signing on fee taking it to 120 ?, boggling wage

after reading the wickham story' date=' seems like we are now all of a sudden a sell to buy club? i just hope we are actively touting our deadwood to as many clubs as possible. cole, jovanovic, insua, konchesky, poulsen all could do a job for somebody....[/quote']

Henry has said that one of the main priorities is to reduce the wage bill, Ive read that if we trim out all the deadwood that it'd free up close to 30m that can be offered to better prospects, but we don't want to be stuck in a position where FFP comes into force and we have a load of deadwood sucking up huge wages whilst having newly purchased prospects sucking up even more of the revenue. If we were that interested in Wickham and Clichy there's not much doubt in my mind that we would've lodged a better bid, not so much Clichy but i'm pretty sure Wickham was pretty keen on coming to us ?, besides, we already have the prime example of a young, big english striker in our squad. I do have my concerns that were haggling a bit too much over prices but so far its been pretty good and from the sounds its still far from over, I just would've liked more activity, mainly in the 'outs', but its time to look at Europe now whilst keeping tabs on the likes of Adam and *sniff* Downing.

carra is a legend and top top defender still. the problem isnt his pace or whatever rubbish gets spouted' date=' its the partner he has. just look at him and hyypia, great combination of a reader and a runner, hyypia was the positional defender, carra got the tackles in and did the leg work. now is the time for carra to take the positional part of the game and someone to do the running. agger is injury prone, srktel is just a brute and krygiakos is past it but commited to the cause. would love us to pursue zapata or dann to new carra's new cb partner.

the most underrated defender in the prem imo. always has been.[/quote']

kinda B)

Some propper moronic stuff being said on this thread lately... Gerrard may only get into the Arsenal team at a stretch? He is unanimously thought of as one of the best players in the world and of this generation. He would get into any team even Barcelona.

Another that I found stupid "Rafa put Liverpool on the map"... I really love Rafa and he is a legend of Liverpool but we were the most successful team in England before he came and were winning trophies and were one of the top teams. I know he brought us some world class players and improved the team but we were already well and truly on the map.