Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Some propper moronic stuff being said on this thread lately... Gerrard may only get into the Arsenal team at a stretch? He was unanimously thought of as one of the best players in the world and of his generation. He would have got into any team even Barcelona about 7 years ago.

Another that I found stupid "Rafa put Liverpool on the map"... I really love Rafa and he is a legend of Liverpool but we were the most successful team in England before he came and were winning trophies and were one of the top teams. I know he brought us some world class players and improved the team but we were already well and truly on the map.

Fixed your first statement ;)

Some propper moronic stuff being said on this thread lately... Gerrard may only get into the Arsenal team at a stretch? He is unanimously thought of as one of the best players in the world and of this generation. He would get into any team even Barcelona.

Another that I found stupid "Rafa put Liverpool on the map"... I really love Rafa and he is a legend of Liverpool but we were the most successful team in England before he came and were winning trophies and were one of the top teams. I know he brought us some world class players and improved the team but we were already well and truly on the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kNKpATvkWEA

Really? Looking back at the tables, we were always around 30points off the top, yes we finished in 4th place nearly every season, but in Europe, Liverpool wasn't really a team which was frightening. When Liverpool won the champions league in 05, it was 20 years since we had last won it, clearly shows that we were far away from the best in Europe. Never really got anywhere near winning the league under Houllier, only consistent top 4 finishes in the prem, and the odd fa cup/worthington cup wins. I know the treble was achieved in 01, but thats nothing like winning the champions league.

It was under Rafa, that we won the european cup for the 5th time, had a truly world class first 11, couple of decisions away from winning the premier league, Rafa if you like, put us back on the map, the big time map.

Really? Looking back at the tables' date=' we were always around 30points off the top, yes we finished in 4th place nearly every season, but in Europe, Liverpool wasn't really a team which was frightening. When Liverpool won the champions league in 05, it was 20 years since we had last won it, clearly shows that we were far away from the best in Europe. Never really got anywhere near winning the league under Houllier, only consistent top 4 finishes in the prem, and the odd fa cup/worthington cup wins. I know the treble was achieved in 01, but thats nothing like winning the champions league.

It was under Rafa, that we won the european cup for the 5th time, had a truly world class first 11, couple of decisions away from winning the premier league, Rafa if you like, put us back on the map, the big time map.[/quote']

What? in the 2000-01 season we came 3rd 10 points off the title and the very next season we were 2nd I think 7 points off the title and we won half a dozen trophies over this period.

What? in the 2000-01 season we came 3rd 10 points off the title and the very next season we were 2nd I think 7 points off the title and we won half a dozen trophies over this period.

Finished 19 points off the top, in 5th.

Rafa's team was the best Liverpool team for some time.

Yeah sorry' date=' meant the season after that, but i'm still sticking to my initial point, Rafa did put 'Liverpool *back* on the map'.[/quote']

Just made a slight correction, but i agree with everything you say, he made our club consistent contenders on the European stage when before we were struggling for qualification and made us a very attractive prospect, taking on pretty much every giant in europe and winning, I can find the stats if anyone wants to see but they all point to Rafa being Liverpools best manager since the inception of the PL, AVG points, league finishes, % won / lost etc

Just made a slight correction' date=' but i agree with everything else you say, he made our club consistent contenders on the European stage when before we were struggling for qualification and made us a very attractive prospect, taking on pretty much every giant in europe and winning, I can find the stats if anyone wants to see but they all point to Rafa being Liverpools best manager since the inception of the PL, AVG points, league finishes, % won / lost etc[/quote']

Ofcourse i agree with the correction :D sorry for making such a stupid mistake :o

Apparently Zapata is now in talks with Vilarreal :mad: Also Blackpool are holding out for 9mil for Adam, not surprised that the owners aren't willing to cough up that much for someone who only has a season left on his contract. I'll jump through the attic window if the Zapata deal falls through :mad: First Jones, then Clichy, and now possibly Zapata, or i just hope it's just talk so that Liverpool increase their offer, really want us to sign this guy, fantastic defender.

I find it amusing that England are now ranked as the 4th best team in the world. :confused:

The impressive draw at home to Switzerland sealed it. Fighting back from two goals down against the almighty Switz, who beat Spain in the World Cup don't forget, means we are worthy of being ranked above the pitiful Brazil and the Argies.

The impressive draw at home to Switzerland sealed it. Fighting back from two goals down against the almighty Switz' date=' who beat Spain in Euro '08 don't forget, means we are worthy of being ranked above the pitiful Brazil and the Argies.[/quote']

And the World Cup 2010, I still have my wall chart directly on my eye line about a foot away from me :)

New sig.

:)

Pretty sad of you going around the forums looking for a little quote to put in your sig' date=' don't see why people do that TBH.

Anyways, i don't even have an attic, currently living in a single story house :D And plus, Zapata has already said he want to play in the EPL, i'm sure he'll complete his move after the copa.

I just saw a thing on facebook on a Liverpool page, asking it's fans to post their favourite photo of the club/players etc.

I entered with this:

scoreboard.jpg

What would you enter with? :)

Probably

This

jerzy-dudek-saves-andriy-shevchenko.jpg

Or the double save he made from sheva a few minutes before that B)

Yeah sorry' date=' meant the season after that, but i'm still sticking to my initial point, Rafa did put 'Liverpool on the map'.[/quote']

ged got us back to winning trophies and got rid of the spice boy mentality which helped us progress a lot, but under him i never felt we could really 'dominate' and we were only a 'top team' for around a 1-1/2 year period between 2001 and mid 2002 whereas under rafa i'd say we were a 'top team' from late 2005 to late 2009, and under rafa we were regularly beating the top teams in europe whereas that hadnt happened for decades (and if you were there for those nights you'd appreciate how good it was)

plus rafa did make us a dominant team in europe for the first time since paisley/fagan - was no mean feat getting the #1 ranking in europe in his first 5 season, but you cant say 'he put us on the map', that was shankly/paisley who did that, but rafa did re-establish us as a consistent european force

ged got us back to winning trophies and got rid of the spice boy mentality which helped us progress a lot' date=' but under him i never felt we could really 'dominate' and we were only a 'top team' for around a 1-1/2 year period between 2001 and mid 2002 whereas under rafa i'd say we were a 'top team' from late 2005 to late 2009, and under rafa we were regularly beating the top teams in europe whereas that hadnt happened for decades (and if you were there for those nights you'd appreciate how good it was)

plus rafa did make us a dominant team in europe for the first time since paisley/fagan - was no mean feat getting the #1 ranking in europe in his first 5 season, but you cant say 'he put us on the map', that was shankly/paisley who did that, but rafa did re-establish us as a consistent european force[/quote']

Yeah i know houllier did well, at the end of the day he did win trophies, but it was rafa who took us to the next level, he made us force not only in england, but in europe aswell, that's why i said he put us *back* on the map, because lets face it, before rafa came in, we were a massive way from winning ol big ears.

And that was my point, last time liverpool were dominant in europe, it was the days of paisley and fagan, which is nearly half a century away, it was rafa that got us back to the top, so yeah, he did get us back on the map, the world map.

A few comments and questions I have:

RE: N'Gog. Does Wickham's transfer to Sunderland mean that N'Gog's move there is definitely off?

RE: Downing. JWH has just said that players of certain age shouldn't be considered as transfer targets. If that's true, why are we supposedly going to pay 15M£+ for Stewart Downing who turns 27 in less than 3 weeks. I think he's a decent player but for that price we can do better. Just to be clear I'm not critizising Kenny, Comolli, JWH etc., I'm questioning the authenticity of these rumours.

RE: Aquilani vs Meireles vs Adam. I assume that Aquilani is 2 or 3 times on the wages Meireles is or what Adam would be here. He's a Kenny type of player but his injury record (pretty clean last season tho), high wages and resale value is what I believe will push him out of the team. I'm a big fan of his so I'd be saddened to see him leave but I can definitely see the benefits of it. His uncertain future (and Meireles's) is probably the only reason we haven't signed Adam yet. I'm a big fan of Meireles as well but I think now is the right time to sell him if we get a 12M£+ bid. The best option imo is that we keep Aqua, sell Meireles and won't buy Adam.

RE: Daniel Sturridge. What's his situation at Chelsea? He ticks all the boxes imo and if Chelsea are willing to sell, I hope we do our best to sign him.