Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Doubt Chelsea would be willing to sell to a rival. Whilst Sturridge is a good player there surely are better, cheaper options (if they did sell it wouldn't be for cheap)

To me, keeping Meireles could be more important than any midfield signing. When Gerrard was crippled at the back end of last season it was Meireles who stood up and shouldered the responsibility. He is a brilliant player one who can really control the midfield and take us forward.

Yes Aqua and Adam are good midifelders but there is nothing to show that Adam was not a one hit wonder. Aqua is still a good player and I do want to see him succeed at Liverpool but if a risk is made on keeping him and selling Meireles, who is already in the premier league through last season, then questions have to be made on what type of club we are. Yes I am jumping the club but what is the point of buying one player who fits into our squad and then sell him after a season? As I said Adam has not shown he can be consistent season after season in the premier league.

And if we buy Downing for that 15million I will be very annoyed. Yes its great to get the club back to some UK roots but if an English or Scottish player is going to be bought simply because of where he is from instead of being the best option then I fail to see the sense in that. Carroll was over priced and unproven, Henderson was over priced and unproven we really don't need Downing if there is someone better *cough*MATA*cough*. We have a good English grounding in Stevie, Carra, Johnson, Carroll, Henderson and the up-and-coming academy players like Kelly, Darby etc.

A few comments and questions I have:

RE: N'Gog. Does Wickham's transfer to Sunderland mean that N'Gog's move there is definitely off?

RE: Downing. JWH has just said that players of certain age shouldn't be considered as transfer targets. If that's true' date=' why are we supposedly going to pay 15M£+ for Stewart Downing who turns 27 in less than 3 weeks. I think he's a decent player but for that price we can do better. Just to be clear I'm not critizising Kenny, Comolli, JWH etc., I'm questioning the authenticity of these rumours.

[b']RE: Aquilani vs Meireles vs Adam[/b]. I assume that Aquilani is 2 or 3 times on the wages Meireles is or what Adam would be here. He's a Kenny type of player but his injury record (pretty clean last season tho), high wages and resale value is what I believe will push him out of the team. I'm a big fan of his so I'd be saddened to see him leave but I can definitely see the benefits of it. His uncertain future (and Meireles's) is probably the only reason we haven't signed Adam yet. I'm a big fan of Meireles as well but I think now is the right time to sell him if we get a 12M£+ bid. The best option imo is that we keep Aqua, sell Meireles and won't buy Adam.

RE: Daniel Sturridge. What's his situation at Chelsea? He ticks all the boxes imo and if Chelsea are willing to sell, I hope we do our best to sign him.

I myself think N'gog could still move. Gyan, Wickham and N'gog could be two starters and 1 back-up/rotation for form. That is assuming that Campbell and Dong are not good enough to be third choice. However, if Wickham were good enough to start AND one of the pair above good enough to be third choice then N'gog won't be needed. In my opinion anyway.

27 is not that old. He could still provide a few years of good performances. United just spent 18 on Young, Chelsea 50 on Torres who aren't much younger (I think:o). So while he is not a player for many years to come he can provide depth I feel and other teams do not consider 27 to be too old. And as far as I know Liverpool have not made a move yet for him anyway so it would not be surprising if Liverpool were pursuing more ambitious targets.

The thing is that Sturridge by moving to Liverpool would realisctically not play much. Two young and good forwards in Carroll and Suarez ahead of him. Sturridge on his Bolton form deserves and wants to play, so Liverpool could be a risk for him really. Competition is healthy but too much and he may as well stay at Chelsea. That's what I think about what you said anyway:)

And as for Aquilani vs Adam vs Meriles Meiriles is supposedly unhappy about not being given a new contract as he is only on 30k a week, so he could be the one to move!

There is a lot of fans on various boards complaining that everything has gone quiet lately. This week should show that there is nothing to worry about. With very little media talk we have lost Sammy Lee and gained Kevin Keen as first team coach. Keen works with the same pass and move style which Dalglish swears by and obviously he will have known Clarke from their time at West Ham so it looks to be a good set up that should help get the best out of our players.

Hopefully the same is going to happen with transfers, Kenny often tells the press he does not enjoy giving the supporters false hopes and will only ever announce anything when it is official. There is still a while yet until our first pre-season game so can't understand some fans writing us off already.

I myself think N'gog could still move. Gyan' date=' Wickham and N'gog could be two starters and 1 back-up/rotation for form. That is assuming that Campbell and Dong are not good enough to be third choice. However, if Wickham were good enough to start AND one of the pair above good enough to be third choice then N'gog won't be needed. In my opinion anyway.

[b']27 is not that old. He could still provide a few years of good performances.[/b] United just spent 18 on Young, Chelsea 50 on Torres who aren't much younger (I think:o). So while he is not a player for many years to come he can provide depth I feel and other teams do not consider 27 to be too old. And as far as I know Liverpool have not made a move yet for him anyway so it would not be surprising if Liverpool were pursuing more ambitious targets.

The thing is that Sturridge by moving to Liverpool would realisctically not play much. Two young and good forwards in Carroll and Suarez ahead of him. Sturridge on his Bolton form deserves and wants to play, so Liverpool could be a risk for him really. Competition is healthy but too much and he may as well stay at Chelsea. That's what I think about what you said anyway:)

And as for Aquilani vs Adam vs Meriles Meiriles is supposedly unhappy about not being given a new contract as he is only on 30k a week, so he could be the one to move!

But a few years isn't enough imo. Especially when looking at the fact that he's a wide player and we want pace there (Comolli himself has said this) so buying a 27-year-old for big money who isn't that fast doesn't make any sense. It would make sense if he cost something like 7M£.

Rumours about Lennon are what could be expected and while he doesn't really have too much end product I'd rather have him than Downing. But the one I'd like to have the most is Mata.

But a few years isn't enough imo. Especially when looking at the fact that he's a wide player and we want pace there (Comolli himself has said this) so buying a 27-year-old for big money who isn't that fast doesn't make any sense. It would make sense if he cost something like 7M£.

Rumours about Lennon are what could be expected and while he doesn't really have too much end product I'd rather have him than Downing. But the one I'd like to have the most is Mata.

Have to agree with everything you have said, i just don't get what they see in downing, youngs move to man u was only 16mil, so i cant see how the hell downing could cost more, the quicker all this downing talk calms down the better, because im bloody getting nightmares everyday!

You seen the one where some guy says his mate lives in the away dressing room' date=' and he saw a cast jump over the fence so it must mean that Messi's going to sign for us? :D[/quote']

HAHA Why not :D

doubt it' date=' I don't think [b']he will turn down CL football [/b]and probably 3x the wages we will pay

Yeah but what are the chances he'll even play at chiteh?

Suarez scored a beautiful equaliser for Uruguay, keep up the good work! :D

mIRpC_2qcaY

HAHA Why not :D

Yeah but what are the chances he'll even play at chiteh?

Suarez scored a beautiful equaliser for Uruguay' date=' keep up the good work! :D

[YOUTUBE']mIRpC_2qcaY[/YOUTUBE]

yep great movement and finish, can't wait to see him and Gerrard linking up in the premiership.

yep great movement and finish' date=' can't wait to see him and Gerrard linking up in the premiership.[/quote']

Exactly, Suarez is who is because of his movement of the ball, impossible at times to keep hold off, and i can't wait for gerrard to be fully fit again, he's sat out the asian tour aswell, just hope he can make a complete recovery.

Sky Sources say Liverpool have made a £15m bid for Stewart Downing...

Thank god' date=' although the bad thing is we will probably do something really stupid like offer more :(

this quote made me laugh from SS

Downing, whose pace and creativity in wide areas are thought to be integral to manager Kenny Dalglish's rebuilding plans.

Thank god' date=' although the bad thing is we will probably do something really stupid like offer more :(

this quote made me laugh from SS[/quote']

I wouldn't mind if we had to spend a bit more on him, hopefully we don't have to and we get it wrapped up before our other targets join someone else.

I wouldn't mind if we had to spend a bit more on him' date=' hopefully we don't have to and we get it wrapped up before our other targets join someone else.[/quote']

Yeah I don't rate him at all, never have. Used to hate watching him for England and I aint seen nothing great from him at club level, just an average English player imo.

Would rather we spend more on someone like Milner or Lennon if we have to stick to this English bs.

I don't think we have to worry about anybody stealing him either :P

Liverpool agree deal for Charlie Adam' date=' Great.... :([/quote']

Whythe sad face

for the price and for reasons I have detailed in the past I think he is a good addition to the squad and offers a lot of qualities we lack.

Happy enough and at a reasonable price IMO

[/quote']

Exactly, apparently they're holding out for 20m, that's him arriving then also :o

And there's a lot of talk about Zapata moving to vilarreal for 8meuros (:mad::mad::mad:)