Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Whilst the sentiment of your last comment might be appreciated it is also unviable.

what is unviable - rebuilding the stadium or moving it outside of the city boundaries?? if you mean the former' date=' it'd be far cheaper to redevelop the main stand/anny road to get it to capacity than build a new stadium for more than double that for 15k extra seats when you take into account the very strong likelihood that debt will be used to pay for it and that there is very little room left to increase prices (like arsenal), nor can we convert anfield to flats like arsenal (pretty sure the land goes to the council, and besides you'd get very little for a flat in L4 compared to islington), so there will be much extra cost to pay for a new stadium, so whilst i agree that the status quo can't continue i'd wager good money that the most economically viable way of increasing capacity (both corporate and normal) would be to redevelop (even if it means reduced attendances for 2-3 years - after all we'd lose at most around £12m a year from that, but increased commercial activities should offset this a bit), and the interest & debt repayments wont restrict the on pitch performance too much (after all, there's no point building a bigger stadium if the team isnt performing, just need to look back to the bolton game last season or most of the games after 1993 to see all the empty seats).

then again, moores and parry should have sorted this years ago - seem to remember around 2000 the 60k parrybowl was costed around £100m, which when you consider that the revenues now are around £180m its very little, sadly we're still paying for the ineptitude of those who came before us

Flipping hell! £33 pound for me to just only get a Match Ticket 1st day! Bloody rip-off as everyone knows who'll win. Still be going, but £33 is daft!

its about £44 for us, count yourself lucky

pretty good game for our first pre-season match. Compared to the last 2 pre-seasons we actually looked amazing.

Some real positives Cody scoring, Aquilani looked fit and did some good passes, Spearing looked good too and Kelly seems to have just picked up from where he was before his injury.

Just got round to watching the second half as i had a power nap before. First half i was impressed by the likes of Poulsen, Cole and Shelvey. All 3 surprising performers, nice to see Poulsen score and if he can actually keep it up i wouldn't mind keeping him if he isn't on crazy wages. Ngog was slightly frustrating, but i guess he scored.

Was really looking forward to the second half though. Adam's first set piece was pretty poor, his first shot was pretty poor, but his diagonal ball to Carroll was fantastic. Shame the linesman didn't realize Carroll was actually onside. Still, he missed his volley by someway. Nice to see Coady getting on the score sheet too. Overall a very entertaining game and looking forward to the next game against Malatsia XI.

20 million' date=' I cant really moan ;):D.[/quote']

Yer good deal for you and us. (Well a bit overpriced but it is exactly the player we need and lack.)

But I am happy with Downing as long as that money does not affect any other bids for players. I can see him being like Riera, he wasn't the best winger in the world but when he played he made a huge difference to the team.

Yer' date=' Young had a shorter contract (I think) and many Villa fans think Downing is better. Plus the fee is not officially mentioned anywere either.[/quote']

Well, I think everyone would rather have Young than Downing :P Him, Henderson and Carroll are a few of the biggest rip off deals in the history of football.

Think of it this way.. You paid £3m MORE than we did for Young lol

20mil is wayyyyyy over priced but the reason for you getting Young cheaper was simply because of his contract.

We couldn't get Young so from that side it makes no difference as it wasn't like we could get him instead of paying more for Downing.

and we will see if that 3m was better spent after next season

rather downing than young. a guy who has a sweet left peg, tracks back and can spot an early ball, over a guy who puts his head down and runs.

and the deals..well if u got the cash, why not? young english talent. potential world beaters. and every chance to achieve that with the legendary king kenny overseeing there development.

Well' date=' I think everyone would rather have Young than Downing[/b'] :P Him, Henderson and Carroll are a few of the biggest rip off deals in the history of football.

Would they really?

Seen a few Villa fans saying Young is a one trick pony and was beginning to get found at last season. I know I don't know much about Villa and their players but he seems as though he wants to play on the left and cut in or play behind the striker, whereas Liverpool need an out and out winger who will run down the line and cross the ball in. It doesn't have to involve all fancy tricks.

So Downing is the better signing for Liverpool IMO, don't know who United needed more but that is none of my business really.

Well' date=' I think everyone would rather have Young than Downing :P Him, Henderson and Carroll are a few of the biggest rip off deals in the history of football.[/quote']

Many people would rather have Messi than young but they can't get Messi and we couldn't get Young :P

LFC are in the next bracket down atm, just like you guys are behind the other bigger boys of the world and can't seem to pull in the "best" players.. even as the English champions (and haven't for a while for that matter), well we are a bracket even below that.

Yer' date=' Young had a shorter contract (I think) and many Villa fans think Downing is better. Plus the fee is not officially mentioned anywere either.[/quote']

Its got to be 20 million or there abouts. No chance its around 15. You have over paid massively, for what you WILL find out to be a player who isnt a typical winger. he doesnt run at players.

Btw, which villa fans do you know ? :confused:

Downing has never been or never will be as good as Young. Simple.

Completely different though. Young had one year left on his contract, we wasnt in a position to ask for more.

First off.

HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers, thanyou, and good night.

HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers' date=' thanyou, and good night.[/quote']

Most off us never wanted to get Downing, esp for 20mil. However would rather the club be in this position than Villa's so wouldn't laugh too much :D

Would rather spend 50mil on Downing then appoint the enemy as our manager ;) , must have been very short on options and pretty desperate

Most off us never wanted to get Downing' date=' esp for 20mil. However would rather the club be in this position than Villa's so wouldn't laugh too much :D

Would rather spend 50mil on Downing then appoint the enemy as our manager ;)[/quote']

I know you didnt pal, but your club did. Im not saying Downing is rubbish or average, that would be in accurate and would sound very bitter :o However, its quite frankly ridiculous that a player of his calibre is going for 20 million !!!

True, we have our own troubles, but weirdly im feeling optimistic about this season :eek: ( wrong thread though ).

Id much rather appoint McCleish than spend 25 million on Downing.

;)