Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Its got to be 20 million or there abouts. No chance its around 15. You have over paid massively' date=' for what you WILL find out to be a player who isnt a typical winger. he doesnt run at players.

Btw, which villa fans do you know ? :confused:

Downing has never been or never will be as good as Young. Simple.

Completely different though. Young had one year left on his contract, we wasnt in a position to ask for more.

First off.

HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers, thanyou, and good night.[/quote']

I suppose it is around £20 million but I was only saying there was nothing confirming that on the Liverpool site.

Downing may not run at players also but I do know he will get the crosses into the box, which is what Liverpool really need. Riera never used to run at players but he would still get the ball in and improve the team a lot.

Also, I know a few Villa fans. It doesn't mean they have to be on this forum.

and I don't see why your laughing atm because if that money does not get spent its worrying times for you's next season.

I suppose it is around £20 million but I was only saying there was nothing confirming that on the Liverpool site.

Downing may not run at players also but I do know he will get the crosses into the box' date=' which is what Liverpool really need. Riera never used to run at players but he would still get the ball in and improve the team a lot.

Also, I know a few Villa fans. It doesn't mean they have to be on this forum.

and I don't see why your laughing atm because if that money does not get spent its worrying times for you's next season.[/quote']

True i understand your point but in reality its going to be a figure very close to 20 million.

Look, im not doubting what Downing can / cant do. But he is no where near worth 20 million.

Never said they did have to be on here, considering im a villa fan, attend games, and know many other villa fans, i dont know ONE who says Downing is better than Young. We have had our issues with Young ( being a one trick pony ) but he is a far more skilled player than Downing.

Ill laugh all i want pal ! Ofcourse were going to invest it ;) I have no doubts.

Im laughing because you have just spent a ridiculous amount of cash on a player who aint THAT great.

EDIT: Even IF we dont spend a penny, we wont get relegated so not quite sure what your trying to insinuate. Just carry on spending to much cash on average english players :)

Id much rather appoint McCleish than spend 25 million on Downing.

;)

Really? :eek: , I can't think of anything much worse to be honest.

I would NEVER have wanted Fergie anywhere near our club even though he would have brung success no doubt.

20million is way over priced but so are the prices Chelsea, City and co have paid in the past however by looks of it the owners have the money to waste going by some of the fee's we have paid.

Lets face it, me and you and everyone on here are MILESSSSSSSS behind the people who do these deals in terms of business sense and knowing values. It's not like they value him at that either, however they wanted him and didn't mind paying x2 his price to land him.

You paid what 12mil and he was injured?? hes apprently had his best season ever and we have only paid 8mil more

Didn't want him but its not as crazy as you seem to think :P

You paid what 12mil and he was injured?? hes apprently had his best season ever and we have only paid 8mil more

Didn't want him but its not as crazy as you seem to think :P

We over paid though ! You know as well as i do Oneill had a poor record in the transfer market in terms of what he pays and who he brought in. It is CRAZY money !

:o

True i understand your point but in reality its going to be a figure very close to 20 million.

Look' date=' im not doubting what Downing can / cant do. But he is no where near worth 20 million.

Never said they did have to be on here, considering im a villa fan, attend games, and know many other villa fans, i dont know ONE who says Downing is better than Young. We have had our issues with Young ( being a one trick pony ) but he is a far more skilled player than Downing.

Ill laugh all i want pal ! Ofcourse were going to invest it ;) I have no doubts.

Im laughing because you have just spent a ridiculous amount of cash on a player who aint THAT great.

EDIT: Even IF we dont spend a penny, we wont get relegated so not quite sure what your trying to insinuate. Just carry on spending to much cash on average english players :)[/quote']

Okay whatever you say, I have my opinions/views and you have yours.

We over paid though ! You know as well as i do Oneill had a poor record in the transfer market in terms of what he pays and who he brought in. It is CRAZY money !

:o

I'm not denying it, but that's just how things are now.

It's clear the LFC have there targets and if they can get them they will pay over the odds to land them.

Okay whatever you say' date=' I have my opinions/views and you have yours.[/quote']

You may aswell not of made that post. What exactly do you disagree with me on ?

My opinion that Young is better than Downing?

My opinion that he isnt worth 20 million ?

or the fact i disagree with your randomly plucked out of thin air opinion that we wont spend any more ?

I'm not denying it' date=' but that's just how things are now.

It's clear the LFC have there targets and if they can get them they will pay over the odds to land them.[/quote']

True. I suppose, although the fee in questionable, the fact your willing to pay and get your targets can only be a good thing for the club and for you guys, as fans.

True. I suppose' date=' although the fee in questionable, the fact your willing to pay and get your targets can only be a good thing for the club and for you guys, as fans.[/quote']

Compared to last summer we are in dreamland, but at the end of the day they have to perform next season.

Foster_LFC actually has a very good point on Reira, he made a massive difference to us when he played and Downing is probably better than him.

Still wish we got someone else mind, never been a fan lets hope he proves me wrong

Foster_LFC actually has a very good point on Reira' date=' he made a massive difference to us when he played and Downing is probably better than him.

[/quote']

No way is Downing [now], better than Riera was in his prime [season before he joined us/1st season with us]. Downing is vastly overrated, overpriced and it's a myth he had a good season last year. What was it? 7 goals and 8 assists or something? Hardly a blockbuster signing, and definitely not worth £20m! I know it's great we're spending money, but I'm getting rather disillusioned by the players we're spending it on...Hardly top drawer players for a club with our aspirations, tbh...B)

You may aswell not of made that post. What exactly do you disagree with me on ?

My opinion that Young is better than Downing?

My opinion that he isnt worth 20 million ?

or the fact i disagree with your randomly plucked out of thin air opinion that we wont spend any more ?

True. I suppose' date=' although the fee in questionable, the fact your willing to pay and get your targets can only be a good thing for the club and for you guys, as fans.[/quote']

TBH i made that post because you always just seem to go on and on and on with people and I could not be bothered, so I just thought I would kill the discussion. But as I said you just keep going on.

And it was you who replied to me first to start this so you obv disagreed with something I said, it was not me who disagreed with you. I first told you that Downing was a player LFC needed and expressed my opinion that I think Villa are at a bad time atm.

too much negativity. good signing. good work rate, good left peg, tracks back, spots an early cross, rather have someone who plays a good early ball than trys to beat a man to get to the byline.

and id happily take a 7 goal 8 assist contribution from him next season! decent, what more do you expect! another dimension from which to attack, i am now starting to see goal threats from all over now rather than 12months ago through one player - torres.

TBH i made that post because you always just seem to go on and on and on with people and I could not be bothered' date=' so I just thought I would kill the discussion. But as I said you just keep going on.

And it was you who replied to me first to start this so you obv disagreed with something I said, it was not me who disagreed with you. I first told you that Downing was a player LFC needed and expressed my opinion that I think Villa are at a bad time atm.[/quote']

Im in a lose lose here ;)

Its a forum, leave if you dont expect people to respond. :rolleyes:

1) Never claimed you started this discussion.

2) I didnt disagree with you as such, i was just saying the fee would be near 20 million and questioned you about these "fans" you know. :confused:

I asked about what you disagree with me on because you just said lets leave it, i found it weird and i was wondering why you said we each have our own opinion, which is true, but i dont know what you disagree with me on.

I shant go on anymore ;)

3 average english players = 75 million :eek:;):D

No way is Downing [now]' date=' better than Riera was in his prime [season before he joined us/1st season with us']. Downing is vastly overrated, overpriced and it's a myth he had a good season last year. What was it? 7 goals and 8 assists or something? Hardly a blockbuster signing, and definitely not worth £20m! I know it's great we're spending money, but I'm getting rather disillusioned by the players we're spending it on...Hardly top drawer players for a club with our aspirations, tbh...B)

As I said I'm not over the moon about signing Downing either, however I'm a little confused with the above.

In Reira's "prime" for us, didn't he only score like 5 goals? :confused: , yet you say 7 goals and 8 assists isn't that good..... Reira's was for a team who was flying at the time and scroing a lot of goals compared to Villa who really struggled last season.

Reira was playing with an in form Gerrard, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano etc etc. Downing played with..... (Sorry Adam :P )

I also think it was a waste of money but lets not go overboard

3 average english players = 75 million :eek:;):D

3 average players, from 3 average clubs.

Sorry couldn't resist. But there's no point judging players on how they played at Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa, when they no longer play there trade there now. They play for Liverpool, they'll be playing with 10 complete new team-mates. Give them a chance to atleast prove themselves at there new club, give them a season and see where they're at, please.

I know ye couldn't sign Young but that's what I like to hear :P

Yeah but we know if we ever do get successful again we will be on the same level as you, Chelse and co for getting players.

Were as you guys will have to live with the fact you will always be below the worlds Elite, if the world class established players don't want to join you now when will they :P

As I said I'm not over the moon about signing Downing either' date=' however I'm a little confused with the above.

In Reira's "prime" for us, didn't he only score like 5 goals? :confused: , yet you say 7 goals and 8 assists isn't that good..... Reira's was for a team who was flying at the time and scroing a lot of goals compared to Villa who really struggled last season.

Reira was playing with an in form Gerrard, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano etc etc. Downing played with..... (Sorry Adam :P )

I also think it was a waste of money but lets not go overboard[/quote']

Tbf, I said he was a better player, not that he performed better. :o:p

Must have done something right to have been getting involved with the Spain squad:p But yerr, maybe that claim was a bit under-researched and pushing it a bit.

Nonetheless, we can do much better than Downing @ £20M, I'm sure. B)

Obviously, I hope I'm completely wrong and he has made me look like a complete fool this time next year :D

You needed a player like Downing. Imo, there were better options but you needed a LM and Downing fits the bill perfectly. Surprised you dind't go for Menez, as he seemingly wants to leave Roma, although he is more of an attacking midfielder which would mean you'd have to change your system.

How do you think Liverpool will line up next season? 4-4-2? Who do you want playing in the CM position, lots of competition there with Aquilani coming back.

Tbf' date=' I said he was a better player, not that he performed better. :o:p

Must have done something right to have been getting involved with the Spain squad:p But yerr, maybe that claim was a bit under-researched and pushing it a bit.

Nonetheless, we can do much better than Downing @ £20M, I'm sure. B)

Obviously, I hope I'm completely wrong and he has made me look like a complete fool this time next year :D[/quote']

Oh don't worry I'm with you :P , I'm gutted we have signed him and have been saying all week I hope we never went for him :(

However I guess I have to put faith in the guys at the club (inc Kenny) know wayyyyyyyy more than me about watching a player and what he can do for the team so I will have faith for now :D

But when I think about it compared to last summer when we brung in Konchesky, Poulsen and co and Hodgson (who at the time I wanted even less than Downing) and was losing all our stars things looked really bad, then we was at the bottom of the table for a while, close to going under...

Now the owners have the cash (and are willing) to go out and splash the cash

You needed a player like Downing. Imo' date=' there were better options but you needed a LM and Downing fits the bill perfectly. Surprised you dind't go for Menez, as he seemingly wants to leave Roma, although he is more of an attacking midfielder which would mean you'd have to change your system.

How do you think Liverpool will line up next season? 4-4-2? Who do you want playing in the CM position, lots of competition there with Aquilani coming back.[/quote']

I would choose this side for the opening day (if everyone was fully fit) and assuming we don't sign a LB (think we will though)

-------------------Reina----------------------

Kelly - --------Carra - Agger - --------Johnson

----------------------------------------------

---Gerrard (plus 2 of the other 20 we have :P) --

----------Suarez----Carrol-----Downing-------

-------------------OR---------------------

Kuyt / Henderson -- Gerrard -- Lucas --- Downing

---------------Suarez----Carrol---------------

3 average players' date=' from 3 average clubs.

Sorry couldn't resist. But there's no point judging players on how they played at Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa, when they no longer play there trade there now. They play for Liverpool, they'll be playing with 10 complete new team-mates. Give them a chance to atleast prove themselves at there new club, give them a season and see where they're at, please.[/quote']

Tis ok :D

He isnt average in fairness, the fee is laughable though :D Were not an average club! had a worse than average season though.

I wanted rid of him so im happy he has left. 20 million is to much, nothing to do with judging. Its so much, but like i said, Its good that your going after your targets and willing to spend the moolar required.

He was in the squad that did very well under Oneill, your making out as if were mid table mediocrity at best. He has had the platform to perform, and did this season with a 20 million pound effort of 7 goals and 8 assists or whatever :)

I would choose this side for the opening day (if everyone was fully fit) and assuming we don't sign a LB (think we will though)

---Gerrard (plus 2 of the other 20 we have :P) --

----------Suarez----Carrol-----Downing-------

-------------------OR---------------------

Kuyt / Henderson -- Gerrard -- Lucas --- Downing

---------------Suarez----Carrol---------------

So, providing he stays, you wouldn't start with Meireles in a 4-4-2?

What about a CB? You've been linked with Dann recently.

Also, i read that Aquilani could be shipped out on loan again, this time to Fiorentina. I really don't understand the logic behind that... he had a tough first season as he had injury problems, surely he should be given a chance when injury free? If he still doesn't impress, then you could sell, but i don't see the logic of shipping him out on loan again.

So' date=' providing he stays, you wouldn't start with Meireles in a 4-4-2? [/quote']

They all would get quite a few games, Meireles never lasts the full game either

Also' date=' i read that Aquilani could be shipped out on loan again, this time to Fiorentina. I really don't understand the logic behind that... he had a tough first season as he had injury problems, surely he should be given a chance when injury free? If he still doesn't impress, then you could sell, but i don't see the logic of shipping him out on loan again.[/quote']

Last season we loaned him out and signed Poulsen for 5mil, nothing shocks me anymore :P

Aqu actually started playing really well for us, esp at home I'm supprised hes so far down the list unless something is going on behind the scenes in terms of attitude that we don't know about, not sure.

I would rather take a cut price from one of the Italian clubs then loan him out again.

Tis ok :D

He isnt average in fairness' date=' the fee is laughable though :D Were not an average club! had a worse than average season though.

I wanted rid of him so im happy he has left. 20 million is to much, nothing to do with judging. Its so much, but like i said, Its good that your going after your targets and willing to spend the moolar required.

He was in the squad that did very well under Oneill, your making out as if were mid table mediocrity at best. He has had the platform to perform, and did this season with a 20 million pound effort of 7 goals and 8 assists or whatever :)[/quote']

But aren't you basing these players on there form for there three previous clubs? You cant of seen enough of Carroll in a Liverpool shirt (448 minutes) to say he's an average player, Henderson and Downing are yet to play for the club and with 10 new players around them they may improve, and they may not. But you have to give them that chance before classing them as average or not.

The fee is a big one yes, but it wasn't like you guys were going to sell a player with an extra 2 years of Prem experience under his belt and 5 international appearances for £3million profit was it? Plus the English market has inflated dramatically over the past couple of seasons

Not at all, you had a bad season, but your in the same bracket of us probably (although we cant say that until we see what McLeish can do at your place..), we're not a top 4 side at the moment though and ill agree with that. People say if we had Kenny over the whole of the season we'd of finished in the top 4, but he's got to prove he can over a whole season and hopefully he can.

I just dont like how people are already judging Downing on his Villa form, rather than waiting to see how he preforms in red. Anybody know if the deal is completed tomorrow whether he could make Saturdays game? (im not to sure how long it takes to get there....) or will we have to wait until the Hull game? My guess would be that we'll have to wait for Hull.