Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Thing I really liked about Aqu before he was loaned out was his movement, he never stands still which is one of the main things which used to really ...... me off about some of our other players I thought we played some great football (esp at home) towards the end of that season, Gerrard seemed to like playing with him a lot.

I was shocked when he was loaned out, I never wanted Hodgson from the start but after he was appointed that was one of the things which sent me against Hodgson from the start as it was clear loaning him out and signing Poulsen was borderline insane. Regardless if people like or dislike Aqu its clear to anybody hes MILES ahead of Poulsen.

It would be good to see him given a clean slate and a chance to prove himself this season, hes certainly got the ability.

Thing I really liked about Aqu before he was loaned out was his movement' date=' he never stands still[/b'] which is one of the main things which used to really ...... me off about some of our other players.

I was shocked when he was loaned out, I never wanted Hodgson from the start but after he was appointed that was one of the things which sent me against Hodgson from the start as it was clear loaning him out and signing Poulsen was borderline insane. Regardless if people like or dislike Aqu its clear to anybody hes MILES ahead of Poulsen.

It would be good to see him given a clean slate and a chance to prove himself this season, hes certainly got the ability

If you have that in your locker, you can play in any league you like. Add to that his technical ability, vision, shooting, he's a complete package. Rafa ain't no mug, and we could all see(except for a few) in his brief spell why he was signed.

I'd say because of that, he's not suited to the Italian league, they like to play it slow, where his movement off the ball isn't acknowledged as much as if it were to be in the fast paced premier league.

First he had that ridiculously long injury' date=' you can play in any league you like, but it would've still taken him time to recover and settle in, then add to the fact he had to adjust to new climates/teammates/different style of play.[/quote']

not just that but the medical staff misdiagnosed his injury - originally it was 8 weeks at most but it took around 3 months to make an appearance

I was shocked when he was loaned out' date=' I never wanted Hodgson from the start but after he was appointed that was one of the things which sent me against Hodgson from the start as it was clear loaning him out and signing Poulsen was borderline insane. Regardless if people like or dislike Aqu its clear to anybody hes MILES ahead of Poulsen.[/quote']

in fairness he was getting offered around in the month when we had no money by the idiotic banker (who was also offering lucas and maxi around at that time too), so i dont think hodgson should be blamed for that one

If we get any half decent offer for Aquilani albeit Loan or full transfer he will be off.

I find this whole conversation fairly hypothetical as deep down you all know that Lucas,Gerrard,Adam,Meireles,Henderson will all be ahead of him and Kenny/the board have been trying to get a deal for him for ages but no Italian sides have taken the bait.

If I was a betting man (I aint now, I cant afford it :P) I would say he wont be here come September. It seems pretty straightforward to me he is whether you think it is right or not 4th (at best) more likely 5th maybe 6th choice, We would quite happilly sell him given a half decent offer and Im pretty sure he would quite like to go as well especially if an Italian side comes in for him.

I find this whole conversation fairly hypothetical as deep down you all know that Lucas' date='Gerrard,Adam,Meireles,Henderson will all be ahead of him[/quote']

the first two will definitely be ahead of him, but gerrard is going to miss more than a few games due to injuries, the club appear to be hawking meireles around to try to avoid giving him the payrise purslow promised him (and of course he will be easier to move on) and there's no evidence whatsoever that adam, meireles or henderson will be ahead of him in the pecking order is there (adam and henderson definitely arent better than him), unless you think that the two newcomers were brought in to play every game (which i highly doubt they havent), and of course a cursory glance at kenny's recent book shows he has a high opinion of aquilani

as for the trying to sell him to anyone in italy - have they? juve had the opportunity to sign him due to the ridiculous clause purslow put in, but aside from that i cant remember anything bar the made up rumours sections in the comics. but if i were a betting man, i'd bet that one of aquilani or meireles wont be here come the end of the window, and i'd say the latter due to him being easier to shift. and there is absolutely no way on earth aquilani will get loaned out again, christian purslow is long long gone (thankfully for all of us)

the first two will definitely be ahead of him' date=' but gerrard is going to miss more than a few games due to injuries, the club appear to be hawking meireles around to try to avoid giving him the payrise purslow promised him (and of course he will be easier to move on) and there's no evidence whatsoever that adam, meireles or henderson will be ahead of him in the pecking order is there (adam and henderson definitely arent better than him), unless you think that the two newcomers were brought in to play every game (which i highly doubt they havent), and of course a cursory glance at kenny's recent book shows he has a high opinion of aquilani

as for the trying to sell him to anyone in italy - have they? juve had the opportunity to sign him due to the ridiculous clause purslow put in, but aside from that i cant remember anything bar the made up rumours sections in the comics. but if i were a betting man, i'd bet that one of aquilani or meireles wont be here come the end of the window, and i'd say the latter due to him being easier to shift. and there is absolutely no way on earth aquilani will get loaned out again, christian purslow is long long gone (thankfully for all of us)[/quote']

Whether you think he is better than him or not is a different question but I am almost 100% certain Adam will be in front of him, Gerrard (fitness barring) and Lucas again definetes in my eyes to be in front of him, hence why I think at best Aquilani will be 4th choice and even that is arguable.(though I think Henderson may be wide right in competition with Kuyt a 4-4-2, though we have so many potential ways we could line up it's all conjecture, we certainly arent short of options for a change)

We have been hawking Aqua around I dont think its any secret he would like to go back to Italy and we would like to sell him if we can get a decent price, the only reason he didnt go to Juventus wernt because we didnt want to sell but rather Juve wouldnt pay the price put at the end of loan agreement when they had the option to buy, instead opting for Pirlo on a free.

I agree with one thing as I stated in an earlier post I think it is almost a given that one of Aqua or Meireles will be gone before the end of the transfer window. Again as stated in an earlier post I think Meireles is the more "sellable" asset but we will just have to wait and see.

I dont actually have a problem with either though I think certain sections of Liverpool fans rare rather overhyping Aqua's ability and at the same time some have certainly Over-estimated Meireles performances last season a lot of the time he was fairly average. Both good players but to me it wouldnt be the end of the world if one leaves as I dont see either of them being in the first choice Midfield in either a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

PS: Ive read the book ;):)

PPS: just seen that Suarez dive that was mighty impressive and to the Arsenal fan I couldnt care if you like Suarez or not as im sure most Liverpool fans would answer. The guy is a genius said it before he arrived here, the guy is pure class and if we can get him and Gerrard together on the pitch enough I have a sneaky feeling we might just have something to shout about this season. (hopefully) :)

far too lazy to quote the entire post, but i think the reason why people want aquilani to stay is basically he's a different option to the other CMs we have - gerrard (i hope) will be rotated more this season in order to basically save his career from flaming out in the next year or two from injuries, from what i've seen of henderson he's fairly similar to meireles (except younger and cost more, hence why i think meireles will go as well as the promised payrise), adam can sort of be a left footed alonso lite (and he can take corners), spearing can do the 'masch role' when needed and shelvey can fill in the odd game (if he isnt loaned, which he probably should be), and aquilani can be the more classic pass and move one touch footy player that he looked at times in his first season here, and lets face it with italy in the euros he will want to play a part there so i highly doubt he'll kick up much fuss, and if he does well and we do indeed want to sell him then it could well be a win-win for us and him (if he wants to go to italy)

I'm a fan and lover of all things Lucas but personally I think that Adam and Aquilani are better than him. I think we will use a system with 3 men in the middle and no doubt Lucas will get some game time but I think our best team when everyone is fit will have;

Gerrard------------------Adam

-------------Aquilani-----------

I'm a fan and lover of all things Lucas but personally I think that Adam and Aquilani are better than him. I think we will use a system with 3 men in the middle and no doubt Lucas will get some game time but I think our best team when everyone is fit will have;

Gerrard------------------Adam

-------------Aquilani-----------

So who do you expect to do the running around and closing down then?

So who do you expect to do the running around and closing down then?

All 3 of them...

They all are more than capable of closing players down and making tackles, I read in one paper a few weeks ago Adam had 88% challenge success rate last season and Gerrard had 84%. Obviously Aquilani wasn't covered in that article but like Neller has said he does a lot of running about off the ball.

Add to that we will have Kuyt or Downing who also work hard every minute of the game and Carroll who can defend from the front I think we will have closing down pretty well covered.

Like I said I don't think Lucas is poor by any means and will play a big role but I just think Gerrard, Aquilani and Adam will make a better starting line up and are all more complete players.

All 3 of them...

They all are more than capable of closing players down and making tackles' date=' I read in one paper a few weeks ago Adam had 88% challenge success rate last season and Gerrard had 84%. Obviously Aquilani wasn't covered in that article but like Neller has said he does a lot of running about off the ball.

Add to that we will have Kuyt or Downing who also work hard every minute of the game and Carroll who can defend from the front I think we will have closing down pretty well covered.

Like I said I don't think Lucas is poor by any means and will play a big role but I just think Gerrard, Aquilani and Adam will make a better starting line up and are all more complete players.[/quote']

Playing with out a holding mid against big teams is suicide...

Name 3 top sides, that dont usually play with a hardworking out and out defensive midfielder?

All 3 of them...

They all are more than capable of closing players down and making tackles' date=' I read in one paper a few weeks ago Adam had 88% challenge success rate last season and Gerrard had 84%. Obviously Aquilani wasn't covered in that article but like Neller has said he does a lot of running about off the ball.

Like I said I don't think Lucas is poor by any means and will play a big role but I just think Gerrard, Aquilani and Adam will make a better starting line up and are all more complete players.[/quote']

In my view it's suicidal to start a game without a natural DM, the best team in the world does it, so don't think there can be any exceptions.

Adam isn't known for his tackling, neither is Gerrard, all the players you mentioned are natural attacking players, yes they work hard for their team, but it's not their natural positions.

Lucas for me must be a starter in every game, he offers what all the players you mentioned don't, a midfielder with a defensive mind, a player who is willing to run his socks of all game, harrasing and tackling the opposition, giving the likes of Gerrard the freedom to roam, and giving the fullbacks the opportunity to get forward, he must be in the starting 11 for me.

Guest nickyparker23

Hey everyone. ive created a new league its only into its 2nd round of league games on thursday, im looking for managers to join.

thanks

In my view it's suicidal to start a game without a natural DM' date=' the best team in the world does it, so don't think there can be any exceptions.[/b']

Adam isn't known for his tackling, neither is Gerrard, all the players you mentioned are natural attacking players, yes they work hard for their team, but it's not their natural positions.

Lucas for me must be a starter in every game, he offers what all the players you mentioned don't, a midfielder with a defensive mind, a player who is willing to run his socks of all game, harrasing and tackling the opposition, giving the likes of Gerrard the freedom to roam, and giving the fullbacks the opportunity to get forward, he must be in the starting 11 for me.

Playing with out a holding mid against big teams is suicide...

Name 3 top sides' date=' that dont usually play with a hardworking out and out defensive midfielder?[/b']

Loool :P

Great minds ayyy. ;)

In my view it's suicidal to start a game without a natural DM' date=' the best team in the world does it, so don't think there can be any exceptions.

Lucas for me must be a starter in every game, he offers what all the players you mentioned don't, a midfielder with a defensive mind, a player who is willing to run his socks of all game, harrasing and tackling the opposition, giving the likes of Gerrard the freedom to roam, and giving the fullbacks the opportunity to get forward, he must be in the starting 11 for me.[/quote']

I agree. Having said that, I think we should start with Gerrard, Adam and Aquilani when at home against the so-called "lesser teams", where we will (or should ;)) be firmly on the front foot :)

Loool :P

Great minds ayyy. ;)

Haha epic!

I agree. Having said that' date=' I think we should start with Gerrard, Adam and Aquilani when at home against the so-called "lesser teams", where we will ([b']or should[/b] ;)) be firmly on the front foot :)

Exactly. The so called lesser teams will rely on counter-attacks, and if all three are upfield all at once, then the back 4 will be in real trouble.

Ofcourse Lucas can't play every minute of next season, but still a like for like replacement in Spearing would be more appropriate.

anyone watch dispatches last night? that peter lim fella was mentioned (the other bidder in october)' date=' looks dodgy as, thank god we dodged that one[/quote']

Yeah was thinking that too...

also just goes to show Mancs like Robson will do anything for cash. :rolleyes::D

In my view it's suicidal to start a game without a natural DM' date=' the best team in the world does it, so don't think there can be any exceptions.

Lucas for me must be a starter in every game, he offers what all the players you mentioned don't, a midfielder with a defensive mind, a player who is willing to run his socks of all game, harrasing and tackling the opposition, giving the likes of Gerrard the freedom to roam, and giving the fullbacks the opportunity to get forward, he must be in the starting 11 for me.[/quote']

Yeah that probably would be the case... if they were brain dead and all attacked at the same time to leave that gap.

But they are all intelligent players and Dalglish is a pretty good manager I think he would get them to work together. As I said Adam and Gerrard do have very good ball winning statistics from last season.

It's interesting you say about Barcelona having a DM so everyone else must, they do have an out and out DM in Mascherano but whenever I watched them last season the games where he played were the games where Barca were not very impressive at all, the only games they lost he was playing DM I think. Most of the time they had Busquets who is not totally defensive minded and does come up the pitch getting involved with Xavi, Iniesta etc passing it between them.

Don't want to argue saying my way is right and your wrong, I am just giving my opinion I think we would be a better team with Gerrard Aquilani and Adam for our best team.

anyone watch dispatches last night? that peter lim fella was mentioned (the other bidder in october)' date=' looks dodgy as, thank god we dodged that one[/quote']

I thought it was odd how he reeled of a load of names all ex-Man U players then he just came out with Dalglish at the end.

Made me laugh when they mentioned the Preston players being recalled and the Southampton registered owner being dead for a year nothing will get done about it though.

Yeah that probably would be the case... if they were brain dead and all attacked at the same time to leave that gap.

But they are all intelligent players and Dalglish is a pretty good manager I think he would get them to work together. As I said Adam and Gerrard do have very good ball winning statistics from last season.

It's interesting you say about Barcelona having a DM so everyone else must' date=' they do have an out and out DM in Mascherano but whenever I watched them last season the games where he played were the games where Barca were not very impressive at all, the only games they lost he was playing DM I think. Most of the time they had Busquets who is not totally defensive minded and does come up the pitch getting involved with Xavi, Iniesta etc passing it between them.

Don't want to argue saying my way is right and your wrong, I am just giving my opinion I think we would be a better team with Gerrard Aquilani and Adam for our best team.

I thought it was odd how he reeled of a load of names all ex-Man U players then he just came out with Dalglish at the end.

Made me laugh when they mentioned the Preston players being recalled and the Southampton registered owner being dead for a year nothing will get done about it though.[/quote']

Busquets is an out and out DM, but Barce have such control on games, the players tend to press forward, in certain games, the defenders are on the half way line...

wasnt he just a patsy for the cowboys ?, thought FSG/NESV was the sole bidder with that Peter fella spouting all sorts to the media

the players tend to press forward' date=' in certain games, the defenders are on the half way line...[/quote']

which is exactly what we need to do against the lower premiership sides who come to Anfield for a 0-0 (and in most cases get the 0-0)

Like James said, those 3 should more than be able to cover the 1 striker these teams leaving hanging around the half way line, even the CB's should be able to cope with that.

These are the games over the last few years (esp when we came 2nd) are the ones that cost us more than anything

which is exactly what we need to do against the lower premiership sides who come to Anfield for a 0-0 (and in most cases get the 0-0)

Like James said' date=' those 3 should more than be able to cover the 1 striker these teams leaving hanging around the half way line, even the CB's should be able to cope with that.

These are the games over the last few years (esp when we came 2nd) are the ones that cost us more than anything[/quote']

You could argue you need to do that to the weaker teams, but i 'd still play Lucas and get the fullbacks to bomb on, the midfield will already be congested as it is, best to use width, which will be provided with the fullbacks and they will have a DM to cover for them.

What James is saying he would have that trio as his 'best' team, so you'd think he'd want that in the crunch matches(man u arsenal etc), that's what i strongly disagree with, you need a natural tackler in the middle of the park.

Two goals for Suarez last night.

Yes indeed, another great performance by him, reminds me a of Torres, he had a great season for us, followed it up by being great in the Euros, and in that time hardly had any rest, ultimately it came back to haunt him, hope the same doesn't happen to Suarez and he gets enough time to rest his muscles and be fresh, no point rushing him back in.