Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Who do you think will play right-back in our next PL game if Kelly and Johnson are both injured? Skrtel or Flanagan? I had never before seen Skrtel playing RB (that I could remember) but he was really, really good, even going forward he looked pretty dangerous because he was able to out-muscle most players he faced.

Do Uruguay have a game next weekend when there's an international break? I'd love to know if Suarez and/or Coates will be playing cos I'm a bit worried about Suarez's fitness. I'm sure Meireles is one who avoids the international break through injury but hopefully he'll be fit for Stoke.

Lucas was my man of the match yesterday. He was everywhere, starting attacks and breaking up the few attacks Bolton got. Thank god he never gets injured (*knocks wood*).

Who do you think will play right-back in our next PL game if Kelly and Johnson are both injured? Skrtel or Flanagan? I had never before seen Skrtel playing RB (that I could remember) but he was really' date=' really good, even going forward he looked pretty dangerous because he was able to out-muscle most players he faced.

[/quote']

Flanagan, I hope! When we have injuries like this, it's the perfect time to give our youngsters a chance, so I hope Flanagan isn't overlooked because of his mistake against Sunderland!

And don't you remember when Skrtel played RB against Middlesbrough (I think) in the season we nearly won the title? He was terrible. :o I don't know why Carra doesn't play RB anymore...B)

Flanagan' date=' I hope! When we have injuries like this, it's the perfect time to give our youngsters a chance, so I hope Flanagan isn't overlooked because of his mistake against Sunderland!

And don't you remember when Skrtel played RB against Middlesbrough (I think) in the season we nearly won the title? He was terrible. :o [b']I don't know why Carra doesn't play RB anymore...[/b]B)

Simple that one. RB requires a lot more running up and down the flanks and good right backs are more like defensive wide midfielders than orthodox defenders and I think with Carra's age, and the fact that he has lost a bit of pace, he prefers playing centrally where is isn't required to help as much in attacks.

Flanagan' date=' I hope! When we have injuries like this, it's the perfect time to give our youngsters a chance, so I hope Flanagan isn't overlooked because of his mistake against Sunderland!

And don't you remember when Skrtel played RB against Middlesbrough (I think) in the season we nearly won the title? He was terrible. :o I don't know why Carra doesn't play RB anymore...B)[/quote']

If the game was an away game against M'brough in 08/09, there's a good chance I missed that game but it can't have been the season opener where Gerrard scored the winner? Anyway, a game against Stoke at the Britannia is one where Skrtel's physical abilities could come to use so I'm not so sure Flanagan should be preferred to him. Flanagan will get chances like he has already but I dont think this is the right game for him. Hoping for Kelly or Johnson to be fit, though!

Anyone but Carra at right-back, imo.

If the game was an away game against M'brough in 08/09' date=' there's a good chance I missed that game but it can't have been the season opener where Gerrard scored the winner? Anyway, a game against Stoke at the Britannia is one where Skrtel's physical abilities could come to use so I'm not so sure Flanagan should be preferred to him. Flanagan will get chances like he has already but I dont think this is the right game for him. Hoping for Kelly or Johnson to be fit, though!

Anyone but Carra at right-back, imo.[/quote']

I think it was an away game, which we definitely lost (2-0 I think). :(

Fair point about the physical side, though.

Absolutely majestic display yesterday brilliant how we should be playing all the time.....

As I suggested ever since he signed WE ARE A MILES BETTER TEAM WITHOUT CARROLL IN IT, the performances dont lie and I feel 100% vindicated IMO from months ago.

The invention, the movement, quick passing interchange is on a whole other level. The Suarez/Kuyt partnership was scintillating last year and yet again the two dovetailed perfectly. I dont care what any of you lot say Id take a Dirk Kuyt other a Carroll everyday of the week. Kuyt's understanding with Suarez is terrific his runs are so intelligent, his movement yesterday was fantastic, offers so much more of a threat and encourages the team to play in the manner we saw yesterday. Not to mention the fact that he works 10x harder than Carroll ever would and has more quality, game intelligence. We simply HAVE to keep that partnership as first choice.

Lucas was magnificent, Im not afraid to admit when I am wrong as i admitted last season Lucas was a reformed charachter and i am a definete convert, the thing I see is that he understands his role in the side now and he has also cut out the needless free-kicks in dangerous areas, also his range of passing has dramatically improved. Well donr Lucas!!

Adam has been very good so far, wonderful left foot, Downing and Enrique already look like a wonderful partnership down the left, Downing I have to admit has surprised me so far with quite how dynamic he is looking, in a better side with better players he is really flourishing. It is early in the season and not to get carried away as we have a very difficult run of League fixtures upcoming but the signs are good.

Against Stoke next time out there is NO WAY we should play Flanagan they will target him bigtime, if the two senior RB'S are not avaliable id be more than happy to keep Skrtel/Carra at RB. It is not the game for a small,inexperienced youngster to play especially against a side like Stoke who play a very "special" kind of football.

Also an excellent carling Cup Draw 3/4 hr on the train and will definetley be on to my mates down here who are Brighton fans for a ticket be nice to see the new stadium and be relatively cheap was looking at the Prices for the Tottenham game and it is scandulous especially as White Hart Line is in a middle of an absolute dump, the walk from Seven Sisters is so grim it is untrue. :(

Who do you think will play right-back in our next PL game if Kelly and Johnson are both injured? Skrtel or Flanagan? I had never before seen Skrtel playing RB (that I could remember) but he was really' date=' really good, even going forward he looked pretty dangerous because he was able to out-muscle most players he faced.

Do Uruguay have a game next weekend when there's an international break? I'd love to know if Suarez and/or Coates will be playing cos I'm a bit worried about Suarez's fitness. I'm sure Meireles is one who avoids the international break through injury but hopefully he'll be fit for Stoke.

Lucas was my man of the match yesterday. He was everywhere, starting attacks and breaking up the few attacks Bolton got. Thank god he never gets injured (*knocks wood*).[/quote']

Not sure but Suarez will be probably a starter, we play against Ukrania. Anyways he will not play the 90 minutes that i guarantee it to ya. Depending on how the game goes, the coach will substitute Suarez. Coates might not even be a starter, i think Godin-Lugano (who will be joining PSG in this hours) will be the starting defending couple and Coates will see some minutes, thats for sure, altough Tabarez might start with a 3-5-2 with Coates-Godin-Lugano which has good probabilities aswell.

Accepted....

What about the other lot??

I think on balance my point stands up pretty well to scrutiny.

it does in fairness, but that's more down to having coco doing the deals (see allowing the likes of owen and mcmanaman to run down their contracts) and with him going and having people who can do things like get money for konchesky i dont think that will be so much the case (after all everyone gets shafted on fees every now and again, see the £12m combined man united got for rossi and pique)

I think our right back problem has been sorted. Skrtel should play there ahead of Johnson. He was a beast going forward and is a bit dangerous when he is in our box for most of the game.

Great display on Saturday from the whole team, Lucas in particular was brilliant. We don't have the star quality all over the pitch like Man City and Man U have but what we have got are hard workers all over the field and players like Suarez and Kuyt who just overwhelm opposition players with their off the ball movement.

If we can keep everybody happy and performing like that for the whole season we will win the league just by pure effort alone. The Manchester teams have looked sharp banging in goals against depleted teams but they won't be able to keep that up for a whole season for dozens of reasons.

I think our right back problem has been sorted. Skrtel should play there ahead of Johnson. He was a beast going forward and is a bit dangerous when he is in our box for most of the game.

Great display on Saturday from the whole team' date=' Lucas in particular was brilliant. We don't have the star quality all over the pitch like Man City and Man U have but what we have got are hard workers all over the field and players like Suarez and Kuyt who just overwhelm opposition players with their off the ball movement.

If we can keep everybody happy and performing like that for the whole season we will win the league just by pure effort alone. The Manchester teams have looked sharp banging in goals against depleted teams but they won't be able to keep that up for a whole season for dozens of reasons.[/quote']

I feel that Johnson should be played in the midfield instead of as a full back. A player like Skrtel shouldn't be playing on the right side to be honest, Skrtel is a beast. He's scary to get tackled by. He's a mean Solvakian who eats strikers for lunch. Playing him in the middle makes more sense. Shove him on the right, and he's not 100% effective. Shove Agger on the left and there you go! A defender who likes scoring goals, has a powerful shot and has scored some wonderful goals.

However, what about Kelly? He's improved so much from when I first watched him. Jose Enrique seems good to me. I think Liverpool have so many options in defence, but if Dalglish thinks playing Skrtel as a full back is a good idea....somebody needs to knock some sense into him before he becomes another Rafa Benitez.....

I feel that Johnson should be played in the midfield instead of as a full back. A player like Skrtel shouldn't be playing on the right side to be honest' date=' Skrtel is a [b']beast[/b]. He's scary to get tackled by. He's a mean Solvakian who eats strikers for lunch. Playing him in the middle makes more sense. Shove him on the right, and he's not 100% effective. Shove Agger on the left and there you go! A defender who likes scoring goals, has a powerful shot and has scored some wonderful goals.

However, what about Kelly? He's improved so much from when I first watched him. Jose Enrique seems good to me. I think Liverpool have so many options in defence, but if Dalglish thinks playing Skrtel as a full back is a good idea....somebody needs to knock some sense into him before he becomes another Rafa Benitez.....

Who won a European cup and the FA cup along with building a great youth system and building one of Liverpool's best teams.

But I do think Kelly is our best right back, he probably would of been in the England squad if he never got injured.

Chelsea set to offload Yossi Benayoun to Liverpool or Lille

Yossi Benayoun may make a surprise return to Liverpool with Chelsea set to sell him to his former club or the French champions, Lille. A decision could be made this afternoon on which club has succeeded in acquiring the Israeli international.

If Benayoun returns to Anfield then it might pave the way for Raul Meireles to leave Liverpool. It’s understood the Portuguese international, currently out injured, wants to quit Merseyside because he believes his first-team opportunities will be limited by Kenny Dalglish’s summer signings.

Chelsea have expressed an interest in acquiring Meireles and it’s understood the two clubs are discussing the possibility of Benayoun being included in a player-plus-cash exchange.

However Liverpool would prefer Meireles, if he is to leave, to move abroad and not remain in the Premier League. With the midfield signings made by Dalglish, Meireles has lost his place in the starting XI for now. He was injured in the Carling Cup last week.

Meireles is thought to be available for around £11m – although Liverpool may demand more from Chelsea – and is admired by Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas who worked with him briefly at Porto.

Benayoun has indicated on his Twitter site for the past couple of weeks that he is likely to leave Chelsea, who he signed for last summer, and recently gave up his number 10 shirt to new arrival Juan Mata.

Yesterday Benayoun tweeted: “negotiating with several team (sic) … news soon.” The two clubs are Liverpool and also the highly-ambitious French champions, Lille. If Benayoun signs for them it might raises questions over their Belgian international midfielder Edin Hazard who has been wanted by Arsenal.

Despite Liverpool’s interest, Lille are also thought to be strongly in contention to sign Benayoun and can offer him Champions League football this season. Benayoun has grown surplus to requirements a Chelsea, where he has struggled to gain regular first-team football and has suffered from serious injury.

It’s understood to be highly unlikely that Benayoun will remain at Chelsea.

Source: Telegraph

Chelsea set to offload Yossi Benayoun to Liverpool or Lille

Yossi Benayoun may make a surprise return to Liverpool with Chelsea set to sell him to his former club or the French champions' date=' Lille. A decision could be made this afternoon on which club has succeeded in acquiring the Israeli international.

If Benayoun returns to Anfield then it might pave the way for Raul Meireles to leave Liverpool. It’s understood the Portuguese international, currently out injured, wants to quit Merseyside because he believes his first-team opportunities will be limited by Kenny Dalglish’s summer signings.

Chelsea have expressed an interest in acquiring Meireles and it’s understood the two clubs are discussing the possibility of Benayoun being included in a player-plus-cash exchange.

However Liverpool would prefer Meireles, if he is to leave, to move abroad and not remain in the Premier League. With the midfield signings made by Dalglish, Meireles has lost his place in the starting XI for now. He was injured in the Carling Cup last week.

Meireles is thought to be available for around £11m – although Liverpool may demand more from Chelsea – and is admired by Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas who worked with him briefly at Porto.

Benayoun has indicated on his Twitter site for the past couple of weeks that he is likely to leave Chelsea, who he signed for last summer, and recently gave up his number 10 shirt to new arrival Juan Mata.

Yesterday Benayoun tweeted: “negotiating with several team (sic) … news soon.” The two clubs are Liverpool and also the highly-ambitious French champions, Lille. If Benayoun signs for them it might raises questions over their Belgian international midfielder Edin Hazard who has been wanted by Arsenal.

Despite Liverpool’s interest, Lille are also thought to be strongly in contention to sign Benayoun and can offer him Champions League football this season. Benayoun has grown surplus to requirements a Chelsea, where he has struggled to gain regular first-team football and has suffered from serious injury.

It’s understood to be highly unlikely that Benayoun will remain at Chelsea.[/i']

Source: Telegraph

Cant see that happening dont need him Tottenham would be more likely

Would love Yossi back but not at the loss of Meireles. When Benayoun moved to Chelsea effectively in a swap for Cole I was sure that we had got the good end of the deal, but seem's I was wrong. If Benayoun stay's injury free, i think he would be a great addition to any top four team.

I feel that Johnson should be played in the midfield instead of as a full back. A player like Skrtel shouldn't be playing on the right side to be honest' date=' Skrtel is a [b']beast[/b]. He's scary to get tackled by. He's a mean Solvakian who eats strikers for lunch. Playing him in the middle makes more sense. Shove him on the right, and he's not 100% effective. Shove Agger on the left and there you go! A defender who likes scoring goals, has a powerful shot and has scored some wonderful goals.

I was only jesting about playing him as our 1st choice right back however Skrtel is a bit of a liability in the centre though, because of injuries we had to play him every game last season but he is really our 3rd choice and maybe Coates coming in pushes him to 4th. He got forward really well against Bolton and looked good with the ball at his feet.

I do think Kelly is a really great player already with the potential to be a world class player, he needs to 100% recover from this hamstring injury though or else it will keep affecting him for his career.

On the Yossi point I would love him to come back, he was one of our best players and never let us down. I was gutted when he left and we missed. Can't see him coming to us though as he wants to play every game and he wont get that here.

Told ya ages ago we might sell Meireles didnt think we would let both Aqua/Meireles possibly leave, still might not but negotiations are happening :eek:

Bid rejected of 8m+Yossi

I wouldnt want Yossi back he was a good player for us and never let us down but I dont see a fit for him anymore and his time has come and gone and he dont meet the type of profile in a player we are going for nowdays.

As I understand it from what I hear from up north we ARE willing to sell if the cash is big enough although apparently double the cash will be required from the Chavs, or we are enquiring on the possibility of getting Sturridge in any deal but Chelsea arent as keen on that.

No point in selling for cash IMO, but if Sturridge was thrown into the mix it is definetley summit to think about especially with the lack of options up front, I mean if Luiz got injured we would have a real problem. Fully expect N'Gog to be at Bolton by tomorrow as well, and the Bellamy issue has apparently gone quiet and looking likely to join the Spuds.

I like Meireles think he is decent but not half as special as some others do wouldnt be the end of the world if he left but at the same time he is a good option to have. Personally I cant see Chelsea giving up Sturridge so dont think anything will happen for us bar the Coates deal.

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey

Prospective Liverpool signing Sebastian Coates set to have his work permit hearing today, everyone around the deal confident he will get it.

I still think there is one more attacking player to come in especially if Ngog or Cole goes, or the both of them. And that offer for Meireles is terrible I really hope we don't sell him on the cheap because it is not like we need to sell, but I would if Sturridge was involved.

If Joe Cole is on 90k a week we'd save around £3.5M over the season if he moved to Lille, and they payed all his wages. Not sure if they will or not, but hopefully he can go out to France and come back a different player, hopefully better. While Evian are supposedly lining up a move for Christian Poulsen.

If Joe Cole is on 90k a week we'd save around £3.5M over the season if he moved to Lille' date=' and they payed all his wages. Not sure if they will or not, but hopefully he can go out to France and come back a different player, hopefully better. While Evian are supposedly lining up a move for Christian Poulsen.[/quote']

Why's that because he is a water carrier??

In all seriousness not a hope Lille will pay all Joe's wages if he goes, even half is extremely doubtful.

Not heard the Evian link with Poulsen although A couple of clubs in Spain and Copenhagen have expressed an interest, again imagine it will be a loan deal if anything gets done.

I wouldnt necessarilly say a striker is in the pipeline either, I am sure Kenny would want one providing as we all expect N'Gog is gone. Would leave us thin on the ground in that area although I suppose we have always got Adam Morgan lurking in the reserves although I think the step up for him personally would be to soon....good player though.

Why's that because he is a water carrier??

In all seriousness not a hope Lille will pay all Joe's wages if he goes' date=' even half is extremely doubtful.

Not heard the Evian link with Poulsen although A couple of clubs in Spain and Copenhagen have expressed an interest, again imagine it will be a loan deal if anything gets done.

I wouldnt necessarilly say a striker is in the pipeline either, I am sure Kenny would want one providing as we all expect N'Gog is gone. Would leave us thin on the ground in that area although I suppose we have always got Adam Morgan lurking in the reserves although I think the step up for him personally would be to soon....good player though.[/quote']

Nope, because he's a bottler. They're interested in numerous Arsenal players aswell.