Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

The other thing to keep in mind is that as Hicks goes through all of these other financial proceedings (Rangers sale, Rangers bankruptcy, Dallas Stars sale, Dallas Stars bankruptcy), he has to show some actual ASSETS with respect to his personal finances.

Well one of the big ASSETS he is showing is his ownership of LFC.

IMO, one of the reasons he came out with that laughably ludicrously high £800-900M valuation of LFC is because that is what he is showing it's worth in documents for the various proceedings that are going on over here in the States. Basically on paper he inflated his personal assets to show that he is in a stronger position than he really is.

If he sells or attempts to sell LFC BEFORE these other proceedings are finalized, then that big LFC ASSET disappears from his financial profile, and in doing so these other proceedings could change drastically to his detriment.

Bottom line.... Don't expect anything to happen with LFC anytime soon.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

A replacement for david ngog next season:)

Wayne Rooney's schoolboy record of scoring 72 goals in a season has been broken by 11-year-old Gerard Garner.

The Liverpool Boys star equalled Rooney's record from the 1996/97 season - achieved with the same team - with two matches left to play.

He then broke it with a goal in the North West Cup Final against Macclesfield before ending his season with a hat-trick against Wirral to sign off a 76-goal season.

"I never thought I would get anywhere near the record at the start of the season," said Garner. "I didn't even know there was one until much later!"

The incredible season has helped his side win all 39 of their matches this season, with the star player himself notching eight hat-tricks as they collected an astonishing nine trophies. Among those hat-tricks he scored four in a match on three occasions and five twice.

The Kirkby-born left-footer attended the same school as Rooney - Our Lady & St Swithun's primary school in Croxteth - and is heading to the same secondary school in September, and is already being tipped to follow the Rooney path to a glorious career.

Yet the lifelong Liverpool fan - who signed for the club at age six - actually prefers Spanish striker Fernando Torres to the England talisman.

"Wayne is a great player and I enjoy watching him," he explained.

"But I have been signed up by the Liverpool Academy and really like Fernando Torres.

"For me, he is my sort of striker and I love to watch him play and score."

And despite his exploits, the boy they nickname 'Jazza' still has his size-five boots well and truly on the ground.

"I'm only part of a team and I want to thank my team-mates for helping me break the record, and those who coached me," he added. "I couldn't have done it without them."

It is also fine for Moores to write his big article today but the truth is it will have absolutely no effect in putting any pressure on Gillete/Hicks only the banks can do that

which is why the fans need to put pressure on rbs

I am going to repeat the same thing I said on here 2 or 3 weeks ago... Don't believe ANYTHING coming out of L4 or the Benitez camp. None of it.

you were going on about benitez being definitely off to juve but that never happened. and btw if hicks told me the sky was blue i wouldnt believe it

Tom Hicks said he stands to lose "a couple hundred million" dollars on the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars

the debt is what, $525m on HSG and a bit more on the teams? he'll more than make up that debt IMO, esp if the rangers is going for the $550m mark, but as we all know the european sports markets and US ones are very different when it comes to valuation based on performance

OPEN LETTER TO DAVID MOORES by Kev Howson

Dear David,

In your letter published in The Times this morning you attempt to explain the process that led to the sale of Liverpool FC to Messrs Hicks and Gillett. This was welcome if not overdue. I would, however like to take issue with some of the statements made in that letter.

You precede your comments on the search for a new custodian with the words ” I don’t really care whether the supporters like me or approve of me – but it’s important that they believe me” but you then go on to suggest that pressure to sell from a “loud minority” of fans played on your mind and influenced your behaviour when scrutinising the Hicks / Gillett bid. For a man in your position to attempt to explain the lack of proper interrogation of new owners because of minority fan pressure for a quick sale is simply shameful. Not content with passing the buck for the decision onto the fans you also suggest that minority shareholders, including Granada and Steve Morgan, were similarly taken in by the Americans. The problem of course David is that those minority shareholders, like us fans, believed that you and Rick Parry had done all the due diligence, that you had checked these guys out. I mean you must have done surely, after all Rick Parry said:

“This is great for Liverpool, our supporters and the shareholders – it is the beginning of a new era for the Club. The partnership created by George and Tom is very special. They are bringing to the table tremendous and relevant experience, a passion for sport, real resources and a strong commitment to the traditions of Liverpool. Their approach represents exactly the sort of genuine partnership that Liverpool has been seeking over recent times. We know that George and Tom want a long-term relationship with Liverpool and that they also understand the importance of investing in our success both on and off the field. They have made clear their intention to move as quickly as practicable on the financing and construction of our proposed new stadium at Stanley Park and also to support investment in the playing squad. This has been an important time for the Club. We now have the right partners for the future. I am absolutely certain we have now ended up in the right place, with owners who will help the Club succeed and prosper.”

Do you not think that glowing testimonial might have been one of the reasons that the fans were brought onside and the shareholders voted unanimously to accept David? We were taken in because David Moores and Rick Parry told us that after a long search they had found the right people for the club. We trusted you. We trusted that you had done all the right checks and asked all the right questions. We trusted you because you were in a position of trust. You let us all down.

Despite earlier promises that you would dig deep into every file and ask all the tough questions, when it came to Hicks you let it swing on the word of his co-investor and a bank report that said they were “good for the money”. It seems that far from asking the tough questions you never even asked the obvious ones. Questions like “How do the supporters of his other sports franchises view him and his contribution to their club?” and “What is his record of burdening his other sporting acquisitions with the purchase debt?”

Unfortunately David, for someone who starts out by saying “I’m writing to you not out of any mission to clear my name – if I felt I had anything to apologise for I would have done so, without hesitation, a long, long time ago” the rest of the letter reeks of a man attempting to justify his decision and to pass the blame onto anyone else possible. That is not acceptable. That is not what is needed at this juncture.

I think most Liverpool fans accept that these mistakes were “honest mistakes”. We are not alleging malice, or even greed. As you say “It is a sign of strength, not weakness, to concede for the greater good”. So accept that those honest mistakes were yours and apologise for them. People can forgive an honest mistake as long as their is contrition and a desire to make it good. What is done is done, there is a far more important battle to be fought, a battle that should not be sidetracked by recriminations over past events.

You speak movingly in your letter about the principles that unite us a Liverpudlians. You now have the perfect opportunity to back up these fine words with support, public and financial for SoS and ShareLiverpool. Let your actions now speak for you. Anything less and we will be forced to conclude that your protestations to the current owners is nothing but bluster.

Throw your support behind the campaign to get the Americans out. Help to underwrite a fans buyout. If you want to rescue your family name, which despite your protestations to the contrary, it is obvious you do, then that is the only way that you will do it.

Kev Howson

Tom Hicks has rejected calls for him to sell Liverpool swiftly and at a reasonable price. The Texan said that it could be up to 18 months before a sale is complete and reiterated that he values the club at up to £800 million.

In a letter to The Times published yesterday, David Moores, the former club chairman, told of his regret at selling Liverpool to Hicks and George Gillett Jr, his co-owner, in February 2007. Moores urged the American pair to “stand aside with dignity”.

Hicks said that he was “disappointed” by Moores’s comments and mounted a robust defence of his record as co-owner, claiming that Liverpool are “much better off than three years ago” and that transfer spending will have almost doubled during his tenure at Anfield by the time the summer is over.

The message regarding his planned exit strategy, though, remained mixed. Talking on Sky Sports News, Hicks said that he hopes a sale will be complete by the end of the calendar year. However, he told the Dallas Morning News that it could take up to 18 months before a deal is sealed.

Pepe Reina, the Liverpool goalkeeper, has expressed concern that the longer the ownership situation goes unresolved, the worse it would be for the team. Liverpool were knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage last December and have failed to qualify for next season’s competition after finishing seventh in the Barclays Premier League.

“As long as we build a competitive squad, we do not need to fear anyone,” Reina said. “But it’s looking like this will not happen yet and we have to be ready for being less optimistic than we have been in the last few years and maybe setting different targets.”

Hicks, though, remains adamant that a “substantial” transfer budget will be made available this summer and claimed that his biggest concern is finding a new owner who “will be the right steward for Liverpool Football Club” and will be able to finance the building of a new stadium.

“I’m disappointed [with Moores] because I think we’ve done everything we can to improve the club in so many ways from the way it had been run before,” the Texan said. “We have a great management team led by Christian Purslow [the managing director], the commercial director Ian Ayre has done a great job and we have a strong finance director in Philip Nash.

“We’ve grown our sponsorships from £40 million annually under the last years of Moores’s ownership and this year we’ll be doing close to £100 million. These are resources for the club to use, to support the wage bill and to be competitive.

“Since Moores’s ownership in the last three years, with what we will spend this summer we will have more than doubled both the gross and net transfer spending on players.

“We’ve tried to make Liverpool as professional a club as possible. The new stadium is fully designed now and the global financing markets are back, so with the change of ownership coming we will be able to have a new stadium built and we have a great board.

“We will sell the club. We are not going to sell it to the wrong group and we’re not going to sell it for the wrong price. We are going to take our time, do it in a very thoughtful way and try to find the right steward to own Liverpool FC. We’re hoping to sell before the end of the calendar year and we don’t anticipate it will be done before the beginning of next season.

“I have said £600-£800 million is not an unrealistic value range, but the market is the market and we’ll see. We are more concerned about finding the right owner, someone who can make the investment, get the stadium built and help Liverpool be the best possible football club in the world.”

The uncertainty that continues to surround Liverpool will not have been eased by Fernando Torres’s refusal to commit himself to the club.

A member of the agency that represents the Spain forward said this week that he expected Torres still to be at Anfield next season.

The player remained coy when questioned about his future, though, insisting that he was not aware of the comments made by his representative, that his focus for the time being is solely on the World Cup and that he “will see what happens” after the tournament.

you were going on about benitez being definitely off to juve but that never happened. and btw if hicks told me the sky was blue i wouldnt believe it

Where are you going with this... ? Are you just trying to vent or what...?

Burs' date=' You really are something else...[/b'] Full of more BS and smoke and mirrors than most on this forum. I said that Benitez should take the Juve job if it's offered to him because it fits his skill-set better than the current situation @ Liverpool.

Here's the quote(click):

Again, I don't hold it against Benitez for trying to line-up his next gig especially one that more suits his skill-set
(i.e. a team like Juve this year which has money to spend to cover up his future mistakes). I just wish he'd treat the situation and the supporters @ LFC right now with more respect.

Sure you are going to get a few LFC supporters who eat up the slop
that he is serving them, but most of us aren't falling for that BS and can see right through it. Trying to get people to feel sorry for him because no one from LFC has asked him about his job... Gimme a break. Last I checked the guy had 4 years left on a massive contract that he pushed for when things were bleakest at the club. Why on earth would LFC management think he's going anywhere, let alone feel that they need to talk with him about it.

Benitez reminds me of Adebayor last year.
A recently underachieving guy who was on contract for bazillions and who was searching for even more money despite taking big steps backwards. Then comes out crying how he is disrespected by the club because they aren't talking with him about his contract.

You were the guy that said something was going to come out of this Moores letter. What was your quote... ? Oh yeah...

hopefully (the Moores letter) might wake up some of the morons on here on who the 3 failures at the club really are

Yeah... I'll tell you what's going to come out of it. It's going to serve the same purpose as that misguided crazy SOS stuff does. It will be in the news for a day and then disappear. Some profound impact there... Way to go Moores.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for your response to my question (which is in reference to your quote above):

@ Burs' date='[/b'] please tell me that you don't believe that there are really people who post on this board who actually believe that Hicks & GG are good for LFC.

And for what it's worth Burs, I think it's great that you are passionate about LFC and want to see better times for the club. But guess what... I and others on here are just as passionate as you are when it comes to that stuff to. We eat and drink and breathe this stuff too.

I just find it difficult to stomach the way you go about trying to make some of your points. Some of which I and others agree with and some that we don't. You try to be a bully on here. Slighting people who don't agree with you (or whatever blog you are repackaging) with terms like "morons", etc... And that's fine. It's part of your delivery, I guess.

Whatever... We can deal.

EDIT:

Regarding Benitez in the job market... It's becoming clear what his roll is in this summer's managerial job market.

IMO, he's nothing more than the guy that big teams are going to bring in to interview for their vacant managerial job, with absolutely no intention of hiring him. He's basically interview filler to show the other managerial candidates they (the club) are interviewing other people too.

Juve got their choice in Del Neri, but they used Benitez to show that they were talking to other candidates. I'm sure he'll do the dance too with Milan and/or Inter etc... But they will all go with someone else who is a better fit / better qualified.

Put up or shut up time at Liverpool

By Rory Smith Football Last updated: May 27th, 2010

At the risk of breaking the fourth wall, perhaps you could help me out. Last week, in the course of my usual professional nosing into all things Liverpool, I spoke to two immaculate sources on the subject of the club’s transfer spend this summer.

The first informed me that the club would have no problem making a couple of impressive signings in a bid to reshape the squad. They didn’t mention whether that would come from sales or investment, but they seemed confident there would be a goodly sum of money for Rafael Benitez, or whoever, to spend when, and if, they chose to do so.

The second, barely a couple of hours later, suggested that was hocum, that Benitez was yet to receive in his meetings with Martin Broughton and Christian Purslow, Liverpool’s chairman and managing director respectively, the reassurances he desires that he will be backed in the transfer market. Indeed, the feeling was that even if the Spaniard were to sell players, there were no guarantees he would be able to spend all, or indeed any, of the cash generated.

Such is life at Liverpool, land of contradictions. There are so many factions – boardroom, Boot Room, dressing room – offering wildly contrasting perspectives on the future of club, manager and players that it is almost impossible to know where to begin.

Truth has become a fluid concept, and one only imparted in whispered, clandestine briefings. Always off the record. As in not attributable quotes. As in sources this and it is believed that. As in the technique employed by those who do not have the courage to stand by their words, by those who know what they say may not stand up to scrutiny. As in spin, and bluff, and lies.

There are occasions, such as yesterday, when one faction or another comes out fighting. Then, over the phone to Sky Sports News, Hicks issued the following statement: “We have a substantial transfer budget in place. There is some misinformation about transfer spending. It is more than double what it was and we will make a significant investment this summer but it is more about getting the right players.”

Liverpool fans, come August 31, will remember those words. And the words of Purslow, who told Spirit of Shankly, the club’s supporters’ union, that “the manager has had plenty of funding available,” that “no proceeds from player sales are used to pay down…debt” and, though the club’s player account has to “be self-funding,” he had spent time talking with Benitez about “summer transfer plans.”

Those words are on record. As is Hicks’s comment to a fan earlier this year that this will be a “big” window for Liverpool. Christian, Tom and (the ever-silent) George, now is put up or shut up time. The maths show that Benitez has made a net profit of £20 million or so over the last 30 months in the transfer market. You have promised money to spend, and now you must deliver. No matter how long any of you remain ensconced at Anfield, if you want to exit this escapade with a shred of dignity, you must deliver.

What a sorry state of affairs :( . All these letters and accusations and counter-accusations are nothing new at all. Just the vaious parties trying to save face or get one-up on another. I had a huge deal of respect for Moores, but this has gone down big time with this sorry excuse of a letter. The best chairmen are the ones who you don't hear off while the club runs smoothly and for the majority of his tenure he was a great chairman. But to now come out and defend his mistake and try and justify the process by which H & G were appointed is ludicrous and a little offensive to those in the know. A full apology free of justifications and ginger-pointing would have been more apt.

It got the inevitable response from Hicks and also an opportunist response from Tom howson and others. Our good name continues to be dragged through the mud and there seems no end in sight. I'm afraid it's enough to test the resolve of even the most loyal of player (or staff) and the longer it goes on, the worse things are going to get both on (players leaving) and off (putting off potential suitors) the field. Has bringing any of it into the public eye done us any favours? I doubt it :mad:

A full apology free of justifications and ginger-pointing would have been more apt.

I can't believe you'd bring hair colour into an argument like this. Not only is it discriminatory (there must be thousands of red headed Liverpool fans), but also childish.

I'll say no more on the matter and hope you've learned your lesson.;)

and while all this is going on David Villa went to Barca, the usual suspects are sniffing round Dzeko and now "deep pockets City" are reported to be commencing negs with David Silva.

Meanwhile we've signed Shelvey.

and to think the transfer window used to be something to get excited about :(

Does Rafa get to use the money from the player sales? If he can't' date=' the club is going to get so much worse during the summer (even if Torres, Gerrard & Masch didn't leave)[/quote']

Who knows....

But if this Summer is like the previous Summers, then "Yes" he likely will get to use the money generated from player sales...

Fabio Aurelio leaves Liverpool. To be honest, he was a great LB with a brilliant left foot, with him gone, our LBs are Insua and Agger, who can also play CB. We'll get Wilson, I think he is LB or at least left footed right?

Anyway, hopefully, England will have a great World Cup. We have three English players to feature at the World Cup. Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, while several are also performing for countries such as Spain (Torres, Reina, etc), Argentina (Mascherano), etc.

Fabio Aurelio leaves Liverpool. To be honest' date=' he was a great LB with a brilliant left foot, with him gone, our LBs are Insua and Agger, who can also play CB. [b']We'll get Wilson[/b], I think he is LB or at least left footed right?

Anyway, hopefully, England will have a great World Cup. We have three English players to feature at the World Cup. Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, while several are also performing for countries such as Spain (Torres, Reina, etc), Argentina (Mascherano), etc.

Wouldn't be so sure of that

I heard from a online LFC forum that we're pulling out of the deal? So are we still competing or are pulling out of the deal and leaving it?

It's all to do with this new rule being bought in about having 7 English players in your 25 man squad or something like that. Apparently, Liverpool were expecting it to be 7 British players - meaning Wilson would count as one of these - however, it's turned out it's only English and Welsh players who count. As Wilson is slightly to old to have 3 seasons with Liverpool before he's 21 he won't count as home grown either, which is the problem.

Apparently, Rangers asked for £2.6 million (I think that was the figrue) with add-ons that'll bring it to £4 million and at first Liverpool were willing to pay it. However, when we heard he would not be classed as home grown, we wanted the fee reduced to £1.9 million. From what is being reported that bid was rejected and Rangers are demanding £2.6 million. The problem is Liverpool don't want to pay that much. That has caused the deal to stall. Wilson has made it clear to Rangers he wants to go. He's got one year on his contract and has turned down anything Rangers have offered him.

So either Liverpool and Rangers will have to come to some sort of agreement, or Liverpool will have to get him at a reduced price in January, or even free in the summer. The problem with the latter, is it gives other clubs the chance to come in and offer the asking price, meaning Liverpool might once again miss out on a talented youngster. I suppose it'll come down to how much Rafa gets to spend (if any). If Smalling is worth £12 million to United then Wilson is a bargain at £2.6, but if Rafa has a very limited budget (which is looking likely), he'll probably spend the money in areas we need to improve like left back, wings, etc.

Did anyone catch the U17 England - U17 Spain EC Final yesterday? It made me see how badly we need to sign Connor Wickham. Not only does he fit percetly in Rafa's 'young English players' plans but he has also said that he's a Liverpool fan. He also scored the winning goal for England yesterday in case you didn't know.

Last season he scored 4 goals and played 1199 minutes for Ipswich (a goal per 3.3 games) which isn't bad for someone his age. However, with our thin squad he shouldn't be our no. 1 priority but with the financial situation being what it is, he might just be the best player we can afford (who's not a free agent).

Did anyone catch the U17 England - U17 Spain EC Final yesterday? It made me see how badly we need to sign Connor Wickham. Not only does he fit percetly in Rafa's 'young English players' plans but he has also said that he's a Liverpool fan. He also scored the winning goal for England yesterday in case you didn't know.

Last season he scored 4 goals and played 1199 minutes for Ipswich (a goal per 3.3 games) which isn't bad for someone his age. However' date=' with our thin squad he shouldn't be our no. 1 priority but with the financial situation being what it is, he might just be the best player we can afford (who's not a free agent).[/quote']

If we needed a player, it'd be a striker, I consider Babel and Kuyt to play more in midfield or on the wing, Torres is our striker, when he is 100 percent fit, otherwise we'd use N'gog, but I'd rather have another established striker.

Keane was a disaster.

Did anyone catch the U17 England - U17 Spain EC Final yesterday? It made me see how badly we need to sign Connor Wickham.

*Day Dreams* ........... Champions League Final 2015' date=' Conor Wickham partnering Dani Pacheco upfront, 31 year old Torres on the bench providing the veterans touch.[/i']

Last season he scored 4 goals and played 1199 minutes for Ipswich (a goal per 3.3 games) which isn't bad for someone his age. However' date=' with our thin squad he shouldn't be our no. 1 priority but with the financial situation being what it is, he might just be the best player we can afford (who's not a free agent).[/quote']

Ihink he is as far removed from thr type of playe we need as i can think of as is jay Spearing for that matter......anyone who thinks this is improving te team is deluded.....however unfortunatly due to the financial situation and the 2 incumbents at the helm at may be the level we are operating at for a very long time......we may just have to face facts that we are slipping out of the elite and that would be a travesty we are one of the biggest clubs in the world and it is so sad what is happening currently...

As I sad before everything has to change I believe we need a totally fresh injection owners, managers, optimism however i think that is a long way off

I was able to watch Arda Turan firsthand this weekend in a friendly vs the Czechs. I didn't stay for the full-90' date=' but for the 60 that I saw, the guy was the best player on the pitch (including Cech, Plasil, Necid, Kazim-Kazim, Kahveci, Demeril & Cetin). I know it was a friendly and that arguably Turan had more to play for (a transfer out of Turkey) than the tired others, but the guy really impressed. He's A LOT slower (looks like he's running in sand) and a lot smaller (he's lucky if he's 5'8") than I thought he was, but he plays bigger. Was fantastic with the ball at his feet. Was able to keep the ball very close to his feet even in traffic. Could take defenders 1X1 and could create space for himself. Crosses were good. Hell, even his tackling was good. Afterward, I looked at his stats @ Galatasaray and the guy hardly ever scores or assists. Why ? Your guess is as good as mine...considering that everyone has him down as arguably the best player in Turkey. Maybe he's just the best technical player in Turkey... who knows... Seems he's used more as an AM there as opposed to the NT who use him as a Winger. Saw him on tv vs Spain a year ago, and he failed to impress despite Turkey playing really well in both matches.

[b']I will say this though... there is NO WAY Benitez[/b] should be shelling out gobs of money for the guy. There is too much risk there still. But if he can get him @ a decent price (Riera + £0-3M) it's worth a shot. Galatasaray are in a world of hurt financially. Worse than LFC because Galatasaray's creditors are already at the door and forcing repayment of loans via the courts.

Was able to watch Arda Turan firsthand for the 2nd time in two successive weekends. The US X Turkey in a friendly in Philly. Guy didn't disappoint. He torched Jonathan Spector (West Ham - 85) all day, and probably was the last nail in the coffin for Spector's bid to be the starting RB in the WC.

He's not the answer to LFC's lack of speed on the outside, but the guy is certainly a decent player. He'd rather use his extremely good dribbling & balance to attack on the wings. He's not going to win with speed. Rather it's going to be good timing, good balance & great dribbling. He was a threat all game using all of those attributes.

When bombing up the wing, it's pretty evident that his first instinct is not to pass in the offensive end of the pitch. It's to dribble and then look to immediately shoot. So in this regard he is a lot different than what we have had in Riera or even a current Kuyt & Maxi on their good days. Ironically in this regard, he reminds me of Maxi minus a handful of years.

He took a lot of knocks in the match (and probably should have been pulled after scoring in the first 30), but he seems to be able to take it. Gets back to what I said when I saw him last weekend vs the Czechs when I thought he played a lot bigger than his actual size.

I'm not sure how his lack of speed would work in the Prem. And I'm really not sure how it would work if you pair him up with a slow Maxi on the Right. But considering that Galatasaray are a selling club, if we can pick him up for little more than what we sell Riera for then IMO it's worth a shot acquiring him. At a minimum it's one more guy other than Torres & Gerrard who has an instinctual nose for the goal.