ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I wish we could have a cup final every week. What a brilliant game! I'm gutted for Cardiff (I know what it feels like to get your hopes high only to have them shot down by the other team), but they should take a lot of positives from this. They sure made a game of it!

You did deserve to win it on the day, so fair play and well done. It was nice to see that Stevie Gerrard was the first one to comfort his cousin after that miss as well :)

You're there? ;)

Congrats I guess though Cardiff will take most of the plaudits. Nice to see Suarez is man enough to take a penalty...

I don't think it really matters if he took a penalty or not, he had a bad game so the confidence is down.

Cardiff played great and were unlucky

Good game don't see why everyone comes onto the thread to shoot us down, typical.

Good game don't see why everyone comes onto the thread to shoot us down' date=' typical.[/quote']

I didn't :)

I even predicted you lot would win earlier - just to spoil my day completely.

To make matters even worse, the sports gods decided to mock me by making Gerrard and Adam miss so that Cardiff were leading...all false hope was lost soon after though

Daniel Agger suffered a suspected broken rib during the Carling Cup final, Kenny Dalglish confirmed in his post-match press conference.

Only just returned from one injury. Hopefully its just bruising and he's fit for the Arsenal game, although a broken rib will probably rule him out, if it doesn't he'll certainly be a doubt.

I should have known better than to come here and read what some mancs have to say about the game. We were better today and deserved to win, we defeated good teams to get to the final so I think we deserve a little bit credit. Certainly more than half-congratulating us and saying Cardiff will get all the plaudits. Will people remember today as the day when Cardiff almost won the Carling Cup? No, it will be remembered as the day when Liverpool won the Carling Cup, end of.

Cardiff did pretty much all the things right so they have people's symphaties (incl. mine) but we deserved to win today.

Phew :):)

Great day, great occasion. Went up Wembley way my attempts to get a ticket legitimatley falling after missing out in the ballot (despite having gone to 2 previous rounds :mad:).

Was looking to purchase a ticket from "other sources" but had to give that up fairly quickly when i realised what price the touts were letting them go for, cheapest i got quoted was £350 :eek: Was prepered to go up to around £170 but for two reasons namely I couldnt afford it had to let it slide :(

Still ended up in a pub near the ground with me 2 other Liverpool mates, loads of Liverpool fans in there and TBF it was a really good atmopsphere, plenty of nail-biting, tension, glory, sadness all the things that you associate with Liverpool and Cup finals. People can say what they like but Liverpool always make Cup finals a memorable event and exciting although me and my heart would be a lot happier with a boring 2-0 victory!

Credit to Cardiff they can be proud of there efforts but on the balance of play we were by far the better side. Lack of cutting edge again making this harder than it should have been, by anybodys standards we had them penned in for long spells but that little bit of genius was missing today.

Very important for us to get the win, at the end of the day people talk about 4th etc but fans live to win trophies, these are the days you remember and look back on. It had been to long and its great to have a bit of silver back in the cabinet.

I have no idea who got the MOTM but for me it has to be Stewart Downing, I thought he had a magnificent game, always dangerous created loads and was a constant menace. It is obvious what he can offer to the side, it is a matter of consistency. I think he has got to much undue stick and have said so repetedly, he was very good first few months, had a very bad spell but is starting to produce again now.

Skrtel was again fabulous he has grown in stature enormously. Gerrard dictated play (shame he left his shooting boots at home!) and other decent performances. Great bit of class from Gerrard to comfort well Gerrard :o at the end.

There were a few negatives in our play but Im not gunna focus on those today, today is a day for celebration and to enjoy the achievement. Despite some of the trolls on here there is no doubt that we EARNED this trophy, we had a extremely tough run to get to Wembley and beat some top sides.

There are only a few trophies for any club to win in a season and it gets harder and harder every season. Any trophy is to be treasured and it can hopefully be a springboard to further success, improve the mentality and give the players extra confidence.

YNWA :):)

up there with our other epic cup finals...i wrote us off when it came to pens, we have missed so many this season. and again hit the woodwork in a game. it must be close to some kind of record, the amount of times we have hit post/bar in a season.

cardiff were fantastic, we could learn a thing or two off them for set plays. cant believe with all our corners we didnt create more anything apart from the goal.

Carroll wasnt great at times, but he showed why he is on the pitch winning the header for Suarez's chance which was followed up on, & just before he came off the header he got off at goal was decent too. if we can see this much more, i for one, will be happier with him on the pitch.

Downing was excellent, i thought Johnson was very good too.

Henderson just has got to go though...

Well played and a very enjoyable game yesterday.

Not surprised you let Cardiff back into the game as you seem to give lesser teams a significant chance against yourselves.

A couple of points though.

Juanichtoox (sp) claims Suarez is the 3rd best forward in the world - well he looked completely lost yesterday and if you can still find a club silly enough to pay £20m for him then I would snap their hands off.

Henderson's decision making is similar to Walcott's.

Adam is not used to being a 'small fish' in a big pond but it shows and he looks like a Championship player at times for you.

Skrtel does not get the credit he deserves.

If Downing can play like that against PL opposition then you may well have a decent player hidden in there.

Well played and a very enjoyable game yesterday.

Not surprised you let Cardiff back into the game as you seem to give lesser teams a significant chance against yourselves.

A couple of points though.

Juanichtoox (sp) claims Suarez is the 3rd best forward in the world - well he looked completely lost yesterday and if you can still find a club silly enough to pay £20m for him then I would snap their hands off.

Henderson's decision making is similar to Walcott's.

Adam is not used to being a 'small fish' in a big pond but it shows and he looks like a Championship player at times for you.

Skrtel does not get the credit he deserves.

If Downing can play like that against PL opposition then you may well have a decent player hidden in there.

yes at times it was frustrating watching him,, but he has just come back from a 8 game 'holiday' hasnt he? probably not 100% sharp yet..

I should have known better than to come here and read what some mancs have to say about the game. We were better today and deserved to win' date=' we defeated good teams to get to the final so I think we deserve a little bit credit. Certainly more than half-congratulating us and saying Cardiff will get all the plaudits. [b']Will people remember today as the day when Cardiff almost won the Carling Cup? No, it will be remembered as the day when Liverpool won the Carling Cup, end of.[/b]

Cardiff did pretty much all the things right so they have people's symphaties (incl. mine) but we deserved to win today.

To be honest, it probably will be remembered as the day when Cardiff almost won the cup. So it historically tends to be, the smaller teams achievement is seen as more remarkable and thus will be remembered better. At least until it all turns into dusty historical list of winners.

Top scorer of the World Cup Qualifiers and best player of the last Copa America ahead of Messi, Aguero, Neymar, etc. Less than 1 year in the EPL not playing all the games first because adaptation later on due to what we all know. Best player of a team that is slowly progressing and does not really play the type of game Suarez was used to. Yeah who would be silly enough to pay 20m? :rolleyes:

Obviously not his best game against Cardiff even though he created some situations. Brilliant game against Brighton, i failed to see you mentioning it... :rolleyes:

Playing fully as an AM and not as his original position of forward, when he does play as a forward, yes, he is in the top 3.

I think that from now on i will just reply to you in this way... :rolleyes:

Top scorer of the World Cup Qualifiers and best player of the last Copa America ahead of Messi' date=' Aguero, Neymar, etc. Less than 1 year in the EPL not playing all the games first because adaptation later on due to what we all know. Best player of a team that is slowly progressing and does not really play the type of game Suarez was used to. Yeah who would be silly enough to pay 20m? :rolleyes:

Obviously not his best game against Cardiff even though he created some situations. Brilliant game against Brighton, i failed to see you mentioning it... :rolleyes:

Playing fully as an AM and not as his original position of forward, when he does play as a forward, yes, he is in the top 3.

I think that from now on i will just reply to you in this way... :rolleyes:[/quote']

Suarez is NOT the third best striker in the world, he isn't even the 3rd best in England

It might be acceptable to say that sort of thing in South America, but here in Europe we are much less tolerant of that sort of nonsense :)

Top scorer of the World Cup Qualifiers and best player of the last Copa America ahead of Messi' date=' Aguero, Neymar, etc. Less than 1 year in the EPL not playing all the games first because adaptation later on due to what we all know. Best player of a team that is slowly progressing and does not really play the type of game Suarez was used to. Yeah who would be silly enough to pay 20m? :rolleyes:

I think that from now on i will just reply to you in this way... :rolleyes:[/quote']

Well the post in which you stated that Suarez was the "3rd best attacker in the world" was followed by your post that said "Falcao is flopping in Madrid", so I take everything you say with a pinch of salt tbh;)

Yes he played well against Brighton (slow clap). But he goes missing many times and as I have said for a long time - his goal record is atrocious for someone you deem to be the "3rd best attacker in the world".

As I pointed out - the clubs who you mention would be interested and would view Suarez as a probable acquisition already have strikers who score more goals, and as a striker your primary job is to..................score goals.

And as I pointed out to you in the list I made of strikers 'better' than Suarez (all 10 of them - the post where you said that Falcao, who is only behind Ronaldo and Messi in the La Liga scoring charts, is "flopping" in Madrid which makes me think you don't know as much as you let on ;)), they have all been scoring regularly and performing much better over the whole of the season.

Liverpool have always had a great goalscorer in their succesful periods whether it be a Rush, Fowler, Owen etc etc.

However Suarez only seems to succeed against second rate South American teams, lower league opposition and the Eredivisie.

Maybe the PL is a bridge too far for him in terms of ever being a player capable of getting 15-20 goals a season.

Suarez is NOT the third best striker in the world' date=' he isn't even the 3rd best in England

It might be acceptable to say that sort of thing in South America, but here in Europe we are much less tolerant of that sort of nonsense :)[/quote']

You should change the sentence to "Here in Great Britain". Most of the people who come to this thread to mock/trash talk, etc have no idea whats going on outside the islands.

You should change the sentence to "Here in Great Britain". Most of the people who come to this thread to mock/trash talk' date=' etc have no idea whats going on outside the islands.[/quote']

All very well, but the point stands - Suarez is NOT the third best striker in 'Great Britain' - therefore he can't possibly be the 3rd best in the world.

Let's agree to disagree :)