ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

So 2 goals against Norwich and he's a top striker :rolleyes:

Before today Suarez had had 116 shots in the league and scored... 8; a conversion rate of under 7%. That goes up to just under 10% across all competitions.

In comparison with the other PL sides top scorers in the league' date=' they have the following conversion rates:

[center']Van Persie: 17%

Bent: 21%

Yakubu: 25%

Klasnic: 21%

Lampard: 19%

Jelavic: 26%

Dempsey: 12%

Aguero: 19%

Rooney: 18%

Ba: 17%

Holt: 19%

Helguson: 20%

Crouch: 18%

Bendtner: 12%, Sessegnon: 9%, Larsson: 20%

Graham: 16%

Adebayor: 14%

Odemwingie: 14%

Di Santo: 8%, Gomez 10%

Fletcher: 17%[/center]

So yes, Suarez's finishing, by comparison, is terrible :)

Those stats are a bit misleading, i remember in one of my 442 magazines from about a year back heskey had a better conversion rate than defoe:roll eyes:

Just look at his stats i posted below.

Those stats are a bit misleading' date=' i remember in one of my 442 magazines from about a year back heskey had a better conversion rate than defoe:roll eyes:

Just look at his stats i posted below.[/quote']

They can be, for example Van Persie is the top scorer this season yet has a lower conversion rate than many. However, Suarez hasn't scored a lot of goals so I'm not sure why he should be so readily forgiven for missing a glut of chances (or shooting from silly positions).

The stats you posted are also misleading. The defences in Holland and (I suspect) Uruguay and many of the South American national sides are pretty horrific compared to those of the top leagues. In the top leagues (at Liverpool) his strike rate is hardly top of the range and shows nothing to suggest he can score 20 a season.

They can be' date=' for example Van Persie is the top scorer this season yet has a lower conversion rate than many. However, Suarez hasn't scored a lot of goals so I'm not sure why he should be so readily forgiven for missing a glut of chances ([b']or shooting from silly positions[/b]).

The stats you posted are also misleading. The defences in Holland and (I suspect) Uruguay and many of the South American national sides are pretty horrific compared to those of the top leagues. In the top leagues (at Liverpool) his strike rate is hardly top of the range and shows nothing to suggest he can score 20 a season.

Like that ?

They can be' date=' for example Van Persie is the top scorer this season yet has a lower conversion rate than many. However, Suarez hasn't scored a lot of goals so I'm not sure why he should be so readily forgiven for missing a glut of chances (or shooting from silly positions).

The stats you posted are also misleading. The defences in Holland and (I suspect) Uruguay and many of the South American national sides are pretty horrific compared to those of the top leagues. In the top leagues (at Liverpool) his strike rate is hardly top of the range and shows nothing to suggest he can score 20 a season.[/quote']

The fact is neither of us can prove our case but time will tell, and I'm confident it will show that he can get 20+ goals a season regally. I think suarez is a top, top player who in sm terms could hit 95 eventually.

Really don't like Suarez' date=' but he's a good player and it was a great third goal. Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it or just wants to see it again :)

[url']http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/goal-of-the-season-contender-luis-suarezs-50-yard-chip-liverpool-v-norwich/[/url]

Who like Suarez?But he's a great player anyway...top striker.

So 2 goals against Norwich and he's a top striker :rolleyes:

Before today Suarez had had 116 shots in the league and scored... 8; a conversion rate of under 7%. That goes up to just under 10% across all competitions.

In comparison with the other PL sides top scorers in the league' date=' they have the following conversion rates:

[center']Van Persie: 17%

Bent: 21%

Yakubu: 25%

Klasnic: 21%

Lampard: 19%

Jelavic: 26%

Dempsey: 12%

Aguero: 19%

Rooney: 18%

Ba: 17%

Holt: 19%

Helguson: 20%

Crouch: 18%

Bendtner: 12%, Sessegnon: 9%, Larsson: 20%

Graham: 16%

Adebayor: 14%

Odemwingie: 14%

Di Santo: 8%, Gomez 10%

Fletcher: 17%[/center]

So yes, Suarez's finishing, by comparison, is terrible :)

Love to see the post where I said 2goals against Norwich makes you a world Class player....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The reason why I class him and always have done as a top class player is based upon his performances, influence and world-class ability. regardless of scoring today or not watching him week in week out I and most Liverpool fans know just how good he is.

if others don't agree that us your opinion, but whether you like the guy or not you have to respect his ability, he is top class.

Like that ?

No. I mean the countless times he can find a team mate in a better position with an easier pass than a shot for himself yet he chooses the latter option. For his third' date=' there wasn't really much else on and running toward goal would give the covering defender time to get across. Taking nothing away from the finish though; that was outstanding.

Love to see the post where I said 2goals against Norwich makes you a world Class player....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You said 'Good job Suarez can't finish ;)', indicating he could finish, whereas I showed his finishing was among the worst in the league.

The reason why I class him and always have done as a top class player is based upon his performances' date=' influence and world-class ability. regardless of scoring today or not watching him week in week out I and most Liverpool fans know just how good he is.

if others don't agree that us your opinion, but whether you like the guy or not you have to respect his ability, he is top class.[/quote']

Where did I say he wasn't a top class player?

Anyone saying Suarez is not a top striker is an idiot imo (no offense).

He isn't a top striker' date=' or finisher at least. I think he'd be much better behind or alongside another forward; a role in which Carroll has failed largely, but still, aside from today, Suarez has been far from top class on his own up front and shouldn't be leading a line as it were.

Immense performance from Suarez today.

Now lets see if he can do it on a consistent basis;)

Summed it up well.

No. I mean the countless times he can find a team mate in a better position with an easier pass than a shot for himself yet he chooses the latter option. For his third' date=' there wasn't really much else on and running toward goal would give the covering defender time to get across. Taking nothing away from the finish though; that was outstanding.

[b']Completely wrong, there was a easy crossfield pass to Gerrard who was in acres of space and would have been one on one with the keeper, if it had not have gone in most players and fans would have been going mental [/b]:P

He finds our players with deft passes/creativity all the time, in all my time watching football there are not many better than Suarez in minipulating a pass/space when every avenue seems blocked. The amount of times he manipulates space with a clever nutmeg is ludicrous.

You said 'Good job Suarez can't finish ;)', indicating he could finish, whereas I showed his finishing was among the worst in the league.

Well clearly he can finish yesterday proved that he is capable of top-class finishing. You will have to go a long long way to find a better hat-trick scored than that. The only one I can think of is Bergkamp V Leicester, nothing else comes close IMO.

Yes he misses chances but most of the time, they are chances he has made by himself (which given the lack of service from midfield is more often than not).

Where did I say he wasn't a top class player?

The general posts you make about Suarez are all disparaging, hence anybody who reads them would have to make the assumption that you dont think much of him as a player.

He isn't a top striker, or finisher at least. I think he'd be much better behind or alongside another forward; a role in which Carroll has failed largely, but still, aside from today, Suarez has been far from top class on his own up front and shouldn't be leading a line as it were.

Here you are quite right, he is not a number 9 he is not the main forward. He is very clearly a number 10 the man in the hole behind the front man. However due to the abject nature of Carroll's performances for most of the season and the derth of options we have up front he has been forced to play that role which is IMO not his natural position.

Summed it up well.

Cheeky aint summed anything well in all the time I have known him ;) on the forum, I mean he was the one saying Suarez is Liverpool's problem and we should sell him. The simple truth is Suarez is not the problem, he is 1 of only 2 genuine world-class players we have, it is the supporting cast that is not good enough.

We have the basis of a very good team we have 8-9 players of a really competitive first team,(the back 5 is solid, Gerrard, Suarez, Lucas) but the squad underneath is nowhere near the level required to be consistantly challenging at the top echelons of the Premier league at present.

Completely wrong' date=' there was a easy crossfield pass to Gerrard who was in acres of space and would have been one on one with the keeper, if it had not have gone in most players and fans would have been going mental[/quote']

Meh, fair enough. He was entitled to an absurd effort in going for his hat-trick with Norwich not likely to score then :P As I said, fantastic strike.

He finds our players with deft passes/creativity all the time' date=' in all my time watching football there are not many better than Suarez in minipulating a pass/space when every avenue seems blocked. The amount of times he manipulates space with a clever nutmeg is ludicrous.[/quote']

The amount of times he shoots into a crowd of people is also ludicrous when players are arriving from the midfield to support him. Yesterday was the first time all season that he's looked genuinely clinical.

Well clearly he can finish yesterday proved that he is capable of top-class finishing. You will have to go a long long way to find a better hat-trick scored than that. The only one I can think of is Bergkamp V Leicester' date=' nothing else comes close IMO.[/quote']

That's one game after over a year in England. Yes, he was superb but as cheeky said, he needs to do it consistently to be considered a top striker (or finisher at least).

Yes he misses chances but most of the time' date=' they are chances he has made by himself (which given the lack of service from midfield is more often than not).[/quote']

So what if he makes them himself? Would you prefer him to beat 4 players and shoot when there are 2 defenders and a keeper protecting the goal or beat 4 players and square it for somebody else to finish easily? By the time Suarez has taken on his stack of defenders there is almost always another Liverpool player or two in the box supporting him.

The general posts you make about Suarez are all disparaging' date=' hence anybody who reads them would have to make the assumption that you dont think much of him as a player.[/quote']

They seem disparaging because they often come straight after a post from those like Juantichoox who think the sun shines out of his arse. I don't think he's anything like a world class finisher as he wastes far too many chances and doesn't have the number of goals to say "yes, I miss 90% of my shots but I've scored 20 this season so it's OK" like, say, Ronaldo who's allowed to blaze 99% of his 40 yard free kicks over the bar because occasionally one goes in and he scores an awful lot of goals otherwise so it doesn't really matter. As Liverpool's often lone striker, Suarez cannot afford to waste so many opportunities. Think of how differently your league season would have been if he'd put one of his 10+ chances away in all those low scoring draws or narrow losses against poor sides. Last week against West Brom was the perfect example; had Suarez had the conversion rate of his compatriots he'd have scored 1 of his 6 shots and you'd have taken points from the game. The home game against Norwich he missed 11 chances and you drew!

Here you are quite right' date=' he is not a number 9 he is not the main forward. He is very clearly a number 10 the man in the hole behind the front man. However due to the abject nature of Carroll's performances for most of the season and the derth of options we have up front he has been forced to play that role which is IMO not his natural position.[/quote']

Yes, and he hasn't performed well there, or at least, not nearly as well as many of you are making out.

Cheeky aint summed anything well in all the time I have known him on the forum' date=' I mean he was the one saying Suarez is Liverpool's problem and we should sell him. The simple truth is Suarez is not the problem, he is 1 of only 2 genuine world-class players we have, it is the supporting cast that is not good enough.[/quote']

Suarez is one of your better players, especially if you play him in his best position. However, I do get the feeling that he's something of a time-bomb and the racism incident won't be the last controversy Suarez experiences at Liverpool.

We have the basis of a very good team we have 8-9 players of a really competitive first team' date='(the back 5 is solid, Gerrard, Suarez, Lucas) but the squad underneath is nowhere near the level required to be consistantly challenging at the top echelons of the Premier league at present.[/quote']

Where would they be competing? Reina's looked really off form this season considering how solid he's been in previous years. Your defence has been pretty solid (Skrtel particularly has impressed me) although it really lacks in depth and Carragher needs to be moved on. Again, your first choice central midfield is decent but you overspent horribly on some mediocre cover really. You really struggle for goals though; you don't have a lethal finisher and an out of position Suarez doesn't get good service at all from the wings. I think Downing is useless and new wingers are a must, as well as a decent CF (or feeding Carroll Weetabix).

Meh' date=' fair enough. He was entitled to an absurd effort in going for his hat-trick with Norwich not likely to score then :P As I said, fantastic strike.

[b']If it hadnt have gone in, he would have got a right old ........[/b]

The amount of times he shoots into a crowd of people is also ludicrous when players are arriving from the midfield to support him. Yesterday was the first time all season that he's looked genuinely clinical.

There is hardly ever any support from midfield arriving that is one of our major problems, if Gerrard dont get in the box then none of them (bar the few occasions Maxi plays) do Spearing, Lucas, and much more responsible given they have played more often Downing and Henderson very rarely ever get in the box to get on the end of things.

That's one game after over a year in England. Yes, he was superb but as cheeky said, he needs to do it consistently to be considered a top striker (or finisher at least).

You can argue your "finisher" point but his performances and talent are not in question, he has been superb. He has been fantastic in tons of other games this season.

So what if he makes them himself? Would you prefer him to beat 4 players and shoot when there are 2 defenders and a keeper protecting the goal or beat 4 players and square it for somebody else to finish easily? By the time Suarez has taken on his stack of defenders there is almost always another Liverpool player or two in the box supporting him.

No there really aint :o

They seem disparaging because they often come straight after a post from those like Juantichoox who think the sun shines out of his arse. I don't think he's anything like a world class finisher as he wastes far too many chances and doesn't have the number of goals to say "yes, I miss 90% of my shots but I've scored 20 this season so it's OK" like, say, Ronaldo who's allowed to blaze 99% of his 40 yard free kicks over the bar because occasionally one goes in and he scores an awful lot of goals otherwise so it doesn't really matter. As Liverpool's often lone striker, Suarez cannot afford to waste so many opportunities. Think of how differently your league season would have been if he'd put one of his 10+ chances away in all those low scoring draws or narrow losses against poor sides. Last week against West Brom was the perfect example; had Suarez had the conversion rate of his compatriots he'd have scored 1 of his 6 shots and you'd have taken points from the game. The home game against Norwich he missed 11 chances and you drew!

He was not bought to be a lone striker, he was bought as he is a class player who brings so much more to the team than purely goals (his record in all comps aint half as bad as many of you make out almost 1 in 2 for Liverpool this season, which for any forward is not a bad return)

Yes, and he hasn't performed well there, or at least, not nearly as well as many of you are making out.

I seriously think you are on your own, in 75-80% of games this season Suarez has been fantastic, it is a team game everything is not just his sole responsibility. How many goals have we got from midfield compare the returns of our midfield with those of United, City, Chelsea etc. Besides most forwards are reliant on service and barring a great pass from Gerrard or some of his own magic nobody creates

Suarez is one of your better players, especially if you play him in his best position. However, I do get the feeling that he's something of a time-bomb and the racism incident won't be the last controversy Suarez experiences at Liverpool.

He is a top-class player and would get in many better sides than Liverpool at present, he could grace any top club and be a real influence IMO

Where would they be competing? Reina's looked really off form this season considering how solid he's been in previous years. Your defence has been pretty solid (Skrtel particularly has impressed me) although it really lacks in depth and Carragher needs to be moved on. Again, your first choice central midfield is decent but you overspent horribly on some mediocre cover really. You really struggle for goals though; you don't have a lethal finisher and an out of position Suarez doesn't get good service at all from the wings. I think Downing is useless and new wingers are a must, as well as a decent CF (or feeding Carroll Weetabix).

Basically saying the same things we have all said, we know what our defeciencies are but it is about getting the right players not just spending for spending's sake. The main thing we could use is an injection of pace into the side (although I have been saying that for 10 years so wont hold my breath :P)

Quality genuine wingers are tough to come by, there are not many genuine top-class wingers about nowdays, if you have them like United do it makes your game so much more varied and threatning.

I genuinely dont think we are that far away from having a extremely competitive first XI. The points tally does not reflect how well we have played for the majority of games this season and that is our own fault, but I am not nearly as pessimistic as some particuarly outsiders.

fqaNcMY3e6I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Liverpool reserves goal of the season contenders

Ngoo @ marseille for me.

we need to get some first team minutes under most of this guys belts...