Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18330718

Spot on !

Although Whelan does what he thinks is best for Wigan' date=' he is a little bit of a mug.[/quote']

I personally, really despise Whelan as a person. But in fairness to him i think it put Liverpool off offering the job to Martinez and probably helped his chances of keeping hold of Martinez which was vital in Whelan remaining at Wigan and when Whelan does decide to leave Wigan they'll spiral back down to non-league football so i wouldn't blame him for it.

I personally' date=' really despise Whelan as a person. But in fairness to him i think it put Liverpool off offering the job to Martinez and probably helped his chances of keeping hold of Martinez which was vital in Whelan remaining at Wigan and when Whelan does decide to leave Wigan they'll spiral back down to non-league football so i wouldn't blame him for it.[/quote']

Someone's still bitter I see;)

I would like him to finish one more season. But i can defiantly see him staying on as a coach.

I don't think he should do another season, he's a legend and all but he's become a real liability lately and I'm never filled with confidence when he plays.

I don't think he should do another season' date=' he's a legend and all but he's become a real liability lately and I'm never filled with confidence when he plays.[/quote']

But he is someone reliable that we can turn to if we need him. Its not like we have loads of back up for the centre of defence.

Stephen Martin ‏@stephen1martin

Liverpool will be joining the market in a few days time.

Stephen Martin ‏@stephen1martin

I've no idea who. Other than Sigurdsson. Promise.

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC

dont need to be a rocket surgeon to work this out but #lfc's swoop for #sigurdson is now becoming real.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//mbl.is/sport/frettir/2012/06/05/gylfi_thor_liverpool_kemur_alveg_til_greina/ - Sigurdsson in an Icelandic newspaper.

I'll be happy with Sigurdsson if it happens.

And as for Carragher I think he should take up a coaching role now. He is very rarely going to feature under Rodgers and is probably on big wages for a player that won't be getting used and his age.

But he is someone reliable that we can turn to if we need him. Its not like we have loads of back up for the centre of defence.

I'm sure we could get somebody as good for a lot less than the money he's on. I heard he was on about 120k a week.

Its not the wages that's the problem' date=' its the transfer fee. i heard 20 - 30 million has been given for us to spend. Not alot for the players we need.[/quote']

That depends on how well you buy. Carragher would have been a 3rd/4th/5th choice CB which is ludicrous for £120k and you should be able to get a cheap replacement (if you even need one) if you buy sensibly.

Its not the wages that's the problem' date=' its the transfer fee. i heard 20 - 30 million has been given for us to spend. Not alot for the players we need.[/quote']

You have to remember there will be at least 6 million more freed up if he is gone.

True. How much is Sigurdson meant to cost' date=' 6 mill?[/quote']

Might be 6.8M-7M.

Would be happy to let Carra taking the coaching role but only if we can buy decent backup or promote Wilson to first team.

Once again, would love to take Kjaer to Anfield.

£6.8m I think. Also Sinclair for £600k' date=' Vorm for a little over £1m and Graham proved a snip at around £3.5m.[/quote']

Thing is there is a bit of a leap between the players he was looking for at Swansea and the players we need to move forward, its a lot harder to find unknown players that can come straight into our team. No offence to Swansea.

Might be 6.8M-7M.

Would be happy to let Carra taking the coaching role but only if we can buy decent backup or promote Wilson to first team.

Once again' date=' would love to take Kjaer to Anfield.[/quote']

Once again, Kjaer's terrible and would want fairly high wages.

Thing is there is a bit of a leap between the players he was looking for at Swansea and the players we need to move forward' date=' its a lot harder to find unknown players that can come straight into our team. No offence to Swansea.[/quote']

You don't need cheap players, just players who are good enough to compete for European places who are ideally being priced below their value, whether that's due to contracts expiring, them being down the pecking order at their current club or some other reason. He doesn't need unknowns as he has a much larger budget at Liverpool than he did Swansea, despite you lot thinking it's peanuts.

Gylfi Sigurdsson: "I have said that my desire to continue playing in the Premier League and Liverpool is completely considered." "Liverpool is a big club that has a glorious history.I expect not to stay at Swansea as the uncertainty going on there." "I'd like to play on with SCFC since I was really happy there, but after Brendan left the club for #LFC it changed the situation." :eek:

Looks like we could be getting Sigurdsson

Rumours that Carragher could be offered a coaching position at the club this season

Most Likely true knowing that there is no way Carragher will fit into Rodgers style of play.

Carra should be kept on unless we can get a replacement of sufficent level. Skrtel/Agger are clearly first choice and id like to see Coates have more of a chance.

Carra is not the player he was but his experience and inspiration within the dressing room are still invaluable' date=' I highly doubt he would just retire and settle for a coaching role.

I have no doubt he will be moved into the coaching system at some point, the question is when I am also fully convinced that Jamie Carragher will be a Liverpool manager at some point in the future. The guy is an absolute football genius in terms of knowledge of the game etc. I think he has all the charateristics to be a good manager but that is obviously some time in the not so near future.

Gylfi Sigurdsson: "I have said that my desire to continue playing in the Premier League and Liverpool is completely considered." "Liverpool is a big club that has a glorious history.I expect not to stay at Swansea as the uncertainty going on there." "I'd like to play on with SCFC since I was really happy there, but after Brendan left the club for #LFC it changed the situation." :eek:

Looks like we could be getting Sigurdsson

Not really news in the sense anybody could have predicted that the moment Rodgers moved in, he will drop Swansea like a shot now Rodgers/Liverpool have moved into the reckoning.

Once again' date=' Kjaer's terrible and would want fairly high wages.[/quote']

Yeah. Still remember you guys opinion about Kjaer. Too bad he got couple of bad season. But he is still good player for backup purpose. Especially if Carra leaving the squad.

But if the wages is too high it is no go then.

What makes you say that? Don't be patronizing either' date=' just having a conversation with you lot.[/quote']

It aint patronising just stating my view

Blimey you Tottenham fans are touchy :P

Tottenham have got exactly the same in terms of competitions to offer Gylfii and really the decisive factor is Brendon Rodgers a manger he knows loves and respects on that basis if we offically put in a bid I fully expect that Gylfi would choose us over Tottenham or Swansea.