Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I wouldn't say he comes across as a complete idiot' date=' it was a bit suprising to see him having three envelopes of players who would let them down against West Brom but it all clearly works for him.

Really cheesy programme though, think it's aimed at simply gaining support in America.[/quote']

How does it clearly work? The envelope thing is a perfect example. The theory behind it seems logical, you tell all your players that you know three of them will let the team down. The weaker players all think they could be one of the three and so try even harder to prove the manager was wrong for judging them before they even had a chance to let the team down.

Only Rodgers fluffed all the lines and just left everyone confused by the whole thing and pretty sure from Downings face he felt it was a personal attack on him in front of the squad and cameras.

All through the series Rodgers fluffs famous quotes so they are hardly recognisable.

He looks to have a good bond with most of the players, but his team talks and speeches make him look an idiot.

I disagree' date=' we have put in some good performances but unless people start hitting the back of the net we wont be finishing anywere near the top 4.

This is not a small problem anymore, its been going on for nearly 2 years and it ended up actually costing Kenny his job.

I think people have forgotten we played some amazing football under Kenny as well and created far, far more chances then we do currently but none of the players (inc Suarez and Gerrard) put them in the back of the net and we all know what happened.

Already we have drew 0-0 at home to Stoke when Utd smashed 4 past them the week later, and we only just scrapped a 1-0 at home to Reading.

I do think we are improving and like I was with Kenny I'm behind Rodgers 100%

Like I said a few pages back, if it was me I would appoint Fowler as a coach for the strikers, I think it would do them a lot of good especially Suarez[/quote']

It's a different style of play though that the team is getting used to you have take into consideration aswell, yes it has been going on for 2 years, can't really explain the reason behind it either, all the players have finishing abilities in their lockers, the lack of a cf at the club is apparent but that cant be adressed until atleast jan, until then the likes of Sahin, Gerrard, Suarez, theyre more than capable of chipping in and if they do just that to keep us in touching distance then we have every chance, just need to find that bit of composure, there was a lot of pressure in the reading game aswell, thats finally of the players backs, now that they've got a win at home, and i hope they push on from that. Everton game is a massive one, GUARANTEE Suarez will score btw ;)

GLEN JOHNSON has accused Manchester United's Antonio Valencia of "cheating" to win a decisive penalty at Anfield - and insists the referee would not have given Liverpool FC a spot-kick if it was Luis Suarez who had gone down in the box.

Robin Van Persie converted an 81st minute spot-kick to hand Alex Ferguson's men victory against 10-man Liverpool on Sunday.

Referee Mark Halsey ruled that Johnson had brought down Valencia in the area but television replays strongly suggest there was no contact from the Reds' defender.

To add to Liverpool's frustrations' date=' they were denied a penalty when Suarez fell under a challenge from Johnny Evans in the second half and Johnson believes the Uruguayan's reputation goes before him.

The England full-back has watched the incident with Valencia countless times and with each viewing his sense of hardship grows.

"I've watched it 50 times in there, not that I needed to - it's not a penalty," said the 28-year-old.

[b']"I didn't touch him. I collided with Pepe, I didn't touch Valencia at all.[/b]

"The referee told me he had to give it. He thought I touched him. There was no point me arguing with him on the pitch afterwards because he had already given it.

"It's so frustrating because I've not touched him.

"It's cheating at the end of the day. You don't expect people to do that. This is one of the best leagues in the world and you've got people doing that."

Liverpool played over 50 minutes with 10 men at Anfield and despite their numerical disadvantage, took the lead just after half-time when captain Steven Gerrard struck.

United would equalise through Rafael but the home side remained positive and thought they had made a breakthrough when Suarez went down after Evans appeared to have tripped him in the area.

Referee Halsey thought otherwise, however, and Johnson believes his team-mate is being unfairly treated.

Such is Johnson's disappointment in the officiating from Sunday that he believes had it been Suarez who tumbled in the area, as Valencia did, then the Reds would not have won a penalty.

"I almost guarantee that if you flip it and Luis was the one who I was chasing and it's exactly the same situation with Luis rather than Valencia, then it wouldn't have been a penalty," he said.

"We all know that. Reputations go in front of people at times.

"Maybe because Valencia isn't a known diver maybe that's why he got the decision. I know it's difficult for the referee when players are sprinting as fast as they can but in the big games those decisions are the difference.

"We expect referees to make the right decisions because we are working as hard as we can to win the game. To have it taken away like that, I can't explain it.

"Everyone has to do their job. They have to forget who they are looking at and make the decisions, not let anything from the past influence their decision. They have to call the shots at the time regardless of who it is."

Completely agree with him B)

So we can now conclude that after this 'statement' from GJ claiming he NEVER touched Valencia, that he is also a compulsive liar.

The TV clearly shows there was contact but GJ is a bit too dim to realise this when spouting his lies.

Maybe if he was not such an ickle fibber, folk would take his arguably 'fair' comments regarding Suarez on board.

So we can now conclude that after this 'statement' from GJ claiming he NEVER touched Valencia' date=' that he is also a compulsive liar.

The TV clearly shows there was contact but GJ is a bit too dim to realise this when spouting his lies.

Maybe if he was not such an ickle fibber, folk would take his arguably 'fair' comments regarding Suarez on board.[/quote']

I don't think anybody cares or is going to bite anymore mate, that game and decisions are long gone :P

I'm all up for debate but bring something new over here ;) , no point in keep dragging old stuff up that we have all been over 50 times, like the above and the whole Sell Suarez thing :o

I don't think anybody cares or is going to bite anymore mate' date=' that game and decisions are long gone :P

I'm all up for debate but bring something new over here ;) , no point in keep dragging old stuff up that we have all been over 50 times, like the above and the whole Sell Suarez thing :o[/quote']

Its funny how boring it is. If you look on other teams threads it is the only thing he does. I mean he was arguing against Gareth Bale not playing a football match the other day because he wanted to be at the birth of his new born baby.

Its funny how boring it is. If you look on other teams threads it is the only thing he does. I mean he was arguing against Gareth Bale not playing a football match the other day because he wanted to be at the birth of his new born baby.

Don't worry. He will be gone when his team lost. So predictable.

I don't think anybody cares or is going to bite anymore mate' date=' that game and decisions are long gone :P

I'm all up for debate but bring something new over here ;) , no point in keep dragging old stuff up that we have all been over 50 times, like the above and the whole Sell Suarez thing :o[/quote']

Just figured that were he to not have lied in his statement there, then maybe his point on Suarez would have been noted.

Not saying it would have earned Suarez a couple more decisions, however it may have highlighted the situation a few weeks prior to it kicking off.

I wasn't around for the Man U game but it was never a penalty, Valencia was going down before Johnson even got there and fell the opposite way.

If Johnson had came through him from behind and took him down he would have fell backwards on top of Johnson..

It was all set up by Fergie in the papers the day before he says they haven't gave them a pen for so long, they feel compelled to give him one.

Like Neller says it was years ago now everybody has moved on.

I wasn't around for the Man U game but it was never a penalty' date=' Valencia was going down before Johnson even got there and fell the opposite way.

[b']Johnson initially clipped Valencia in full flight (as shown on TV)[/b]

If Johnson had came through him from behind and took him down he would have fell backwards on top of Johnson..

Johnson 'clipped' him - he didn't come through from behind in that sense.

It was all set up by Fergie in the papers the day before he says they haven't gave them a pen for so long, they feel compelled to give him one.

Well obviously - SAF has the FA in his back pocket don't you know.

Like Neller says it was years ago now everybody has moved on.

Well 1 month ago is hardly years but meh;)

Anyway onto brighter news - linked with Adebayor today, could be worth a punt.

From the show I would summarise that his 'man management'' date=' especially with the likes of Shelvey and Sterling seems very good.

However his tactical instructions seem to be a load of nonsense tbh. Also [i']on camera[/i] his response to the WBA defeat was embarrasing. Whilst there may have been a couple of 'soft' decisions, informing the team that they were unlucky to lose 0-3 and played well is not the type of management that is going to propel LFC imo.

If he had laid into the team for its poor finishing and 'casual' defending, then he may have had more of a response. Instead of that he informed them that the referee changed the game and they would have to get used to that happening, thus exonerating them from their mistakes which still continue to this day.

Hmmm, I suppose so but it also could give Liverpool that siege mentality that everything is against them and that it's them against everybody. I'm sure he'll have tried to address that defending in training and rather than singling out someone for criticism in the team talk or in the press, which he never does, i'm pretty sure he'll have given constructive advice to the players in question.

How does it clearly work? The envelope thing is a perfect example. The theory behind it seems logical' date=' you tell all your players that you know three of them will let the team down. The weaker players all think they could be one of the three and so try even harder to prove the manager was wrong for judging them before they even had a chance to let the team down.

Only Rodgers fluffed all the lines and just left everyone confused by the whole thing and pretty sure from Downings face he felt it was a personal attack on him in front of the squad and cameras.

All through the series Rodgers fluffs famous quotes so they are hardly recognisable.

He looks to have a good bond with most of the players, but his team talks and speeches make him look an idiot.[/quote']

Well it clearly works as that's his approach to management, and he's got himself the Liverpool job.

Whilst knowing that there looks to be some flaws in what Rodgers is doing, I can't criticize it as I know he'll have done exactly the same with us and it worked.

As for the envelopes, I'm unsure as to whether he got the names out or not, but to me it does seem a bit odd as it shows Rodgers didn't fully believe in the ability of three of the players.

As for the envelopes' date=' I'm unsure as to whether he got the names out or not, but to me it does seem a bit odd as it shows Rodgers didn't fully believe in the ability of three of the players.[/quote']

Apparently Fergie was the first to do this early in his Man Utd career.

I think its just used for the reasons someone posted earlier (Cheekylad i think) to motivate some of the slackers.

Even at the end of the season he could actually change them to players who HAVE let him down, or just have empty names and say he only did it to motivate etc.

Apparently Fergie was the first to do this early in his Man Utd career.

I think its just used for the reasons someone posted earlier (Cheekylad i think) to motivate some of the slackers.

Even at the end of the season he could actually change them to players who HAVE let him down' date=' or just have empty names and say he only did it to motivate etc.[/quote']

When SAF used it he used one envelope and for all anyone knew it was 'their' name in the envelope.

Unfortunately for Rodgers, many are aware of the SAF envelope story and more critically the fact that it was empty.

So I am unsure as to how Rodgers feels using 3 envelopes would be effective as the majority of players will figure that the envelopes are all empty.

As for the envelopes' date=' I'm unsure as to whether he got the names out or not, but to me it does seem a bit odd as it shows Rodgers didn't fully believe in the ability of three of the players.[/quote']

There was no names in it at all, like Neller said it was something Fergie did a while ago after he wont he first league title at Man U to make sure they didn't think just because they won the league that was it.

It is just 1 of many examples of Rodgers trying to incorporate stuff he has seen or read about at one of these teamwork/leadership/motivation seminars that go on all over the place.

At my work the bosses try and do the same, they think it will get the company to be more productive if they put a cone in the middle of the room give us 2 bits of rope and ask us to get the cone without going inside a circle they have marked out.

All throughout Being Liverpool Rodgers has tried to recall quotes that have been told to him at these seminars and most of the time he doesn't deliver them in the right way or just screws it up completely.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a decent manager and will build a legacy at Liverpool when he lays down the right foundation and gets us playing his way, but he needs to stop going to these seminars and thinking he has to answer every question with a weird cliché.

Surprised by your team selection tonight:eek:

So am I.

However the thinking must be as we are at home and have no travel so to speak that the players can manage the games.

TBF they are professionals and should be able to, if we were playing away I am pretty sure we would have seen a completely different line-up.

Only real surprise is that i thought they definetley wouldnt be slected to start is Gerrard/Suarez, would have thought having them on the bench to bring on if we need them was a better scenario.

Surprised by your team selection tonight:eek:

I bet you thought of us resting all the best player for upcoming Merseyside derby eh? :P

We need to win tonight game if we want to progress, so we must put the first team player to ensure that.

Pretty much attacking lineup if you ask me. Shelvey, Gerrard and Sahin.

Kudos to Rodgers for going easy on Sterling.

I bet you thought of us resting all the best player for upcoming Merseyside derby eh? :P

We need to win tonight game if we want to progress' date=' so we must put the first team player to ensure that.

Pretty much attacking lineup if you ask me. Shelvey, Gerrard and Sahin.

Kudos to Rodgers for going easy on Sterling.[/quote']

Like Ray I was surprised about the inclusion of Suarez and Gerrard.

Like Ray I was surprised about the inclusion of Suarez and Gerrard.

To be fair it aint like we have far to travel on Sunday is it either :P

Need to keep Gerrard fit at all costs....must be the site of those blue shirts brings out the best in him (Figers crossed!) :)

Are you going Sunday?

To be fair it aint like we have far to travel on Sunday is it either :P

Need to keep Gerrard fit at all costs....must be the site of those blue shirts brings out the best in him (Figers crossed!) :)

Are you going Sunday?

Yes mate I'll be going and it wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard has a blinder like last season.

Well lets hope so' date=' in the nicest possible way I hope you have a thoroughally miserable day out :)

I'm not confident at all but then I never am in any game so no change there[/quote']

I'm not confident either, only time I have been confident of ever beating you lot was last season at Wembley and we all know how that ended up. However I am slightly more confident now than I was at the start of the week as Fellaini should be able to play but he will probably get sent off for elbowing someone.