• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

It's been rumoured at 90k per week' date='it's hardly average as you have got a great midfielder on a free transfer.....[/quote']

I'd be willing to give him 90k per week if he's guaranteed to stay fit (something no-one can do) but if he's injured half the season, then I see it as average.

He's a quality player and I'm happy to have him here, I'm just not so sure of his fitness that's all... Anyway it's positive that we're at least signing some players afte a few departures

So now we had about 10M to buy a new LB, and possibly around £30M to splash around if Mascherano does join Inter, this could then go to either signing a world class striker or signing a midfielder or two. This is if the money has/will go into the transfer kitty, but still I'm over the moon with us signing Joe, but like they just said on SSN you can only think it was for the salary. :o

I'm happy getting J. Cole if we're paying wages less than 75k-a-week for him. If we're paying 90k or more' date=' it's just average piece of business imo[/quote']

Joe cole assuming 90k/week wage

- 3 years expenditure = 90K*52*3 = 14.1m

Albert Riera assuming 40K/week wage (probably more)

- 3 years expenditure = 40K*52*3 = 6.2m + 8m transfer fee = 14.2m

Roughly the same (signing on fee may admittedly be higher for Cole). I know which I would rather have in my side. And when you compare it further to the transfer fees the Manchester clubs have paid for their wingers/attacking midfielders as well as other sides, it's a bargain for a player of Cole's quality :)

EDIT: Ian beat me to it :)

Who here would hate to see J. Cole coming here? It would be okay for me if he asked something like 60k per week but I would never give him 90k or even more. He's money hungry and injury prone and if he came here it would mean we probably wouldn't sign Turan or Ruiz who I'd love to see here. The Remy deal seems to be close' date=' apparently we need to up our bid by a couple of millions and he's ours.[/quote']

Agree with THIS ^^^

I truly hope that any deal with Cole is incentive-laden particularly when it comes to appearances.

I realize that no transfer fee is involved, but that doesn't mean that Cole deserves more cash in wages because of it.

To put things in perspective:

A 4-year deal @ £90K per week = ~ £19M.

And keep in mind that Cole is going to be 32 at the time a 4-year deal is over with his main asset (speed) completely gonzo by that time. So say goodbye to any sell-on value.

Meanwhile, you could take that same £19M, spend £10M in Transfer Fees to Twente, pay Bryan Ruiz £40-50K per week for 4 years, and have a guy who after 4 years will be 28 and in the prime of his futbol career, with a CONSIDERABLE sell-on value.

I'm happy getting J. Cole if we're paying wages less than 75k-a-week for him.

If we're paying 90k or more' date=' it's just average piece of business imo[/color']

I totally agree. It's not to say he won't perform well @ Liverpool, but in terms of negotiating the Transfer Market, this would just be an average/poor bit of business. Mindless, really.

My post was just a rough guide to say I think Liverpool have done well here....

For those still worried...at least he isn't strengthening Arsenal or Spurs

And remember playeres who look good in Holland don't always travell well - Ryan Babel was 14-15mill remember

Agree with THIS ^^^

I truly hope that any deal with Cole is incentive-laden particularly when it comes to appearances.

I realize that no transfer fee is involved' date=' but that doesn't mean that Cole deserves more cash in wages because of it.

[b']To put things in perspective:[/b]

A 4-year deal @ £90K per week = £19M.

And keep in mind that Cole is going to be 32 at the time a 4-year deal is over with his main asset (speed) completely gonzo by that time. So say goodbye to any sell-on value.

Meanwhile, you could take that same £19M, spend £10M in Transfer Fees to Twente, pay Bryan Ruiz £40-50K per week for 4 years, and have a guy who after 4 years will be 28 and in the prime of his futbol career, with a CONSIDERABLE sell-on value.

Rarely do i say this Jonny, but i completely disagree with some of your points.

Cole is a seasoned England international, having won major honours and competed, and proven himself at the highest level, one of the very few england players to genuinely impress people with his performances over his career. 90k a week is a lot of money, but its far from outrageous.

19 million pounds for Joe Cole is not a bad price to pay, with the market as it is, if he was actually for sale it would be around that figure, then you would have to pay wages on top of that !

And finally and most importantly, Joe Coles main asset is not, 100% not speed. He is a skillful tactful player, and speed has never been his main attribute.

Think of his wages this way

100k a week = 5.2 mill per year

3 years contract = 15.6mill

+signing on fee

Maximum total....20mill?

Worth it I'd say - if he's fit that is

With Liverpool's current financial position I seriously doubt the owners are willing to pay 100K a week. I don't know if you watched Jamie Rednapp's interview earlier but it seems the press have got it totally wrong saying Joe's money motivated - otherwise he'd be at City by now. What Joe wan't is first team football. He can't get that at Chelsea and it seems neither Arsenal or Spurs could offer that, hence him joining Roy at Liverpool.

Yossi was on 75,000 and I think Joe Cole will be on a similar wage. Therefore, I think taking into account the transfer fee for Yossi Liverpool will make a profit on this deal, as well as getting an arguably better player, who's English, younger than Benayoun, and somebody who wants to play for the club.

IMO, this is top, top business from Hodgeson.

In ROYHO we TRUST!

Rarely do i say this Jonny' date=' but i completely disagree with some of your points.

Cole is a seasoned England international, having won major honours and competed, and proven himself at the highest level, one of the very few england players to genuinely impress people with his performances over his career. 90k a week is a lot of money, but its far from outrageous.

19 million pounds for Joe Cole is not a bad price to pay, with the market as it is, if he was actually for sale it would be around that figure, then you would have to pay wages on top of that !

And finally and most importantly, Joe Coles main asset is not, 100% not speed. He is a skillful tactful player, and speed has never been his main attribute.[/quote']

For once me and Mr.A are on the same hymn sheet

As age sets in - Cole has the ability to drop that little bit deeper (Giggs or Ballack anyone?)

I would argue some of you are dismissing the psychology of this transfer also. As a club we are perhaps at our lowest ebb for a long time. We've just come of our worst season for decades. We've seen the likes of Tottenham and Man C overtake us in terms of spending power and the ability to attract players from abroad and domestically (along with the other big 3). I'm not sure the 'disillusioned' playing squad would necessary have been too enthused by the transfer of a Ruiz or a Remy or some other player that the majority of the players won't have heard off. Not to say signing these sorts of players is not important as it makes business sense, but not in our current predicament.

I'm sure the signing of Cole, a proven performer (when injury free) and known to probably most of the playing squad (and certainly the important members of the squad), will not only serve as a major coup as we beat a host of premier league sides to his signature, but will also be a fillip for much of the playing squad. Far more so than the signing of a player with potential who is not yet proven :)

I would argue some of you are dismissing the psychology of this transfer also. As a club we are perhaps at our lowest ebb for a long time. We've just come of our worst season for decades. We've seen the likes of Tottenham and Man C overtake us in terms of spending power and the ability to attract players from abroad and domestically (along with the other big 3). I'm not sure the 'disillusioned' playing squad would necessary have been too enthused by the transfer of a Ruiz or a Remy or some other player that the majority of the players won't have heard off. Not to say signing these sorts of players is not important as it makes business sense' date=' but not in our current predicament.

I'm sure the signing of Cole, a proven performer (when injury free) and known to probably most of the playing squad (and certainly the important members of the squad), will not only serve as a major coup as we beat a host of premier league sides to his signature, but will also be a fillip for much of the playing squad. Far more so than the signing of a player with potential who is not yet proven :)[/quote']

Spot on Smarty - after all the last years national media and sky sports, trying there best to unsettle Liverpool with lies and inuendo - we come out and manage a transfer coup like this, beating a few other top teams to the player and when he's fit what a player he is, I'v been wanting Cole at Liverpool for years :D

Not a liverpool fan im a birmingham one :D but after just see on sky sports news you'v signed Cole. Very good signing considering United,Arsenal were in the hunt, Cole must have seen somthing at liverpool to turn down champions league football for europa league football

IMO this surly gives you some confidence and a shot at 4th place this season :)

Spot on Smarty - after all the last years national media and sky sports' date=' trying there best to unsettle Liverpool with lies and inuendo - we come out and manage a transfer coup like this, beating a few other top teams to the player and when he's fit what a player he is, I'v been wanting Cole at Liverpool for years :D[/quote']

Same here mate. Lost count of the number of games in the past few seasons, where sides have parked the bus against us, thinking if we only had Joe Cole (or someone similar) to produce that spark. He's got the technical ability and the knack of producing something certainly the vast majority of other British players can't. A fully fit Cole is a joy to behold :)

Glad to hear Joe Cole has signed, although it seems weird that he left Chelsea because they werent prepared to offer him huge money, then he joins Liverpool who are in a worse economic situation, unless Chelsea are hiding something.

Heard on SSN this morning that Liverpool have hired a former member of Simply Red as a masseur, but not Mick Hucknall.

Also, going back to Cole, this is essentially a swap deal including Yossi Benayoun and Liverpool getting some cash. In that respect, I think Liverpool have got a bargain!

I am valuing him on what he has done in the recent past (and going forward). Not what he did 3-5 years ago.

Cole is a:

• seasoned England international
  • having won major honours and competed
  • proven himself at the highest level
  • one of the very few england players to genuinely impress people with his performances over his career.
  • 90k a week is a lot of money' date=' but its far from outrageous.[/color']

The exact same things were said about Michael Owen when he joined both Madrid and Newcastle. How did that turn out...?

Joe Cole's innate ability to find himself consistently in @ the team medical office supersedes ANYTHING that he did years ago. And that should be the main thing that comes into play when structuring any contract with him (or oft injured players like him).

Cole played in less than half of all Chelsea matches over the past two seasons.

LESS THAN HALF. @ +£80K per week. Wow!

Each of the past 2 years Chelsea has played 59 total matches in all competitions.

09/10: Cole played in 35% of the total minutes possible
(1,867 min/5,310 total)

08/09: Cole played in 35% of the total minutes possible
(1,896 min/5,310 total)

Compare these minutes with
Lampard & Terry who were @ +80% and even normal guys like Obi Mikel & Kalou @ 60%

Well.... The market is falling apart from where it was a year ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall 2010 Summer Transfer Market is down +30% from last year.

Furthermore, simply because a Transfer Fee is not being paid is not a reason to give a player more wages. It's simply bad business. Usually there's a good risk-reward reason why a player is available on a free transfer.

Here's the trade that is happening:

In effect, Cole would be a free transfer to both Chelsea & Liverpool (or any other team). So it all comes down to wages. Chelsea who know the ins-and-outs of the guy's medical history have essentially said that they don't want to have him on the payroll for £90K per week. Meanwhile Liverpool have said that they do. That's the trade that just occurred.

And finally and most importantly, Joe Coles main asset is not, 100% not speed. He is a skillful tactful player, and speed has never been his main attribute.
I agree with this, but you have to admit that it's his speed/quickness that once got him into a position to where he could use his great dribble/technique.

Again... All of this is not to say that Joe Cole won't perform great for LFC. I really hope he does.

But on the face of it if this deal with him isn't laden with appearance incentives, and is simply him on the payroll @ £90K per week for 4 big years, it's a ho-hum bit of business.

***Guys like Joe Cole are paid to create. So in essence, they are paid to be on the pitch. They aren't paid for their goals and assists. The guy has proven over the past 2 years that he can only be on the pitch 35% of the time throughout an entire season. A straight contract @ £90K per week for 4 massive years is not a wonderful bit of Transfer Market business for such a player.

If it's £90K per week for 4 years: Even with someone with his pedigree, it's average business at best.

Again to put things in perspective, here's another £19M investment that Liverpool could currently be making instead of this one:

BRYAN RUIZ:
You could take that same £19M, spend £10M in Transfer Fees to Twente, pay Bryan Ruiz £40-50K per week for 4 years, and have a guy who after 4 years will be 28 and in the prime of his futbol career, with a CONSIDERABLE sell-on value.