• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Great new today absolutely fantastic this is so good on so many levels that I cant possibly explain.

Joe Cole is a fantastic player, a real gem, he is creative, dynamic, determined and will always give you 100%. He has that little bit "extra" which you need to have and will bring a whole new dimension to our attacking play. He is CLASS and even at a reported 90K a week on a free transfer it is very good business especially when you consider we were paying Yossi 65K and got 6m odd from Chelsea so really the signing costs us nothing. I know which player I would rather have and it is also nice to see a English feel coming back to the club.

It will also send a very real signal to Stevie, Torres etc that this club means business we are trying to improve and this sort of level of signing can only help to convince others of our ambition. I thought Stevie and Torres would stay anywy but news like this t help but to strengthen there belief in what Hodgson is trying to do.

For all those who said Hodgson could not bring in big names well you have to eat humble pie, the guy is a worldwide respected figure and deserves more respect than from a few morans on this thread. He is slowly getting rid of the dead wood Insua etc and bringing in a better class of player of which I expect a couple more to be added before the season starts

A great day and a massive step forward for Liverpool as a club, however I would not be keen on Bridge not at all, I have to admit :o

Joe Cole AND Wayne Bridge AND Steven Gerrard AND Fernando Torres... Yikes !!

We better double the medical staff' date=' STAT ![/b']

Smartdoc, I hope you are on your way to LFC immediately!

Surgery-Operation.jpg

Everything should be ok fitness wise - I have just read that Liverpool have signed Darren Anderton as fitness coach

Yossi was on 75' date='000 and I think Joe Cole will be on a similar wage. Therefore, I think taking into account the transfer fee for Yossi Liverpool will make a profit on this deal, as well as getting an arguably better player, who's English, younger than Benayoun, and somebody who wants to play for the club.[/quote']

Essentially this amounts to a swap deal. Yossi for Joe Cole.

Chelsea Costs:
Yossi @ £75K(?) per week for 3 years + £5.5M Transfer Fee

= £17.2M

Liverpool Costs:
Cole @ £90K(?) per week for 4 years + ZERO Transfer Fee

= £18.2M

From a cost perspective, essentially it's a wash. (no, you don't take into account the transfer fee going to LFC)

Let's try to look @ things from Chelsea's perspective. Because despite JTerry's seemingly low IQ, the people who run the club aren't dummies...

So you have to ask, "Why are Chelsea willing to bring on a player who is 2 years older for essentially the same amount of money spent?"

I hope the truthful answer from Chelsea isn't, "Because Joe Cole is going to be chronically injured going forward (like he has been the past 2 seasons) and we don't want to be locked into a 3-4 yr deal with a player who is going to continue playing only 35% of the time every season"

It's not like Joe Cole hates one of the koolest cities on earth. He's spent his entire life in London.

So, let's hope the reason that Chelsea were willing to let him walk was something personal between him & the team. After all, despite the obscene new 50% UK tax, no one (including Cole himself) believed that the guy was going to get a raise from his current salary. If anything he would have been lucky to have maintained his salary based upon his health the past 2 seasons.

JCole's negotiations with Chelsea... Despite the higher #s being throw around during negotiations, Joe Cole was likely only simply hoping for just an extension of his previous contract.

The math above shows that Chelsea could have increased Cole's wages up to £90K per week (from £80K) and they still would have spent basically the same amount that it would have cost to bring in Yossi, who is 2 years older.

So if you are Chelsea (and you rate Cole equal or higher than Yossi), why do this swap deal at all...?

And furthermore and just as importantly....

...Why arm one of your main competitors (who is fiscally constrained) with additional transfer monies ?

It doesn't make sense...

So there are likely only 3 reasons to make the swap if you are Chelsea:

(1)
You don't rate Cole as much as Yossi

(2)
The working-relationship has broken down between JCole & the club

(3)
Medical concerns about JCole

Again, I'll be hoping that the reason has something to do with the working-relationship between Cole and the Chelsea brass/manager and not something medically related that they do have deep insight into.

Anyway, I'll be rooting hard for JCole to succeed @LFC... I just hope the contract is structured appropriately. 'Cause LFC are in no position to be pisssing money around on wages to injured players.

It will also send a very real signal to Stevie' date=' Torres etc that this club means business we are trying to improve and this sort of level of signing can only help to convince others of our ambition.[/quote']

This is just what I was thinking. We're getting a big player and surely this will effect on their decisions whether to stay or to leave. I'm looking forward to seeing in the media if Stevie or Carra tried to persuade him into coming here or what was it that made him choose us.

Next step in the transfer market: Make a solid bid for Remy and then start searching for a LB. After last season everyone's writing us off and we've shown that we're much better when people do that so next season shouldn't be too bad:)

Essentially this amounts to a swap deal. Yossi for Joe Cole.

Chelsea Costs:
Yossi @ £75K(?) per week for 3 years + £5.5M Transfer Fee

= £17.2M

Liverpool Costs:
Cole @ £90K(?) per week for 4 years + ZERO Transfer Fee

= £18.2M

From a cost perspective' date=' essentially it's a wash. (no, you don't take into account the transfer fee going to LFC)

Let's try to look @ things from Chelsea's perspective. Because despite JTerry's seemingly low IQ, the people who run the club aren't dummies...

So you have to ask, "Why are Chelsea willing to bring on a player who is 2 years older for essentially the same amount of money spent?"

I hope the truthful answer from Chelsea isn't, "Because Joe Cole is going to be chronically injured going forward (like he has been the past 2 seasons) and we don't want to be locked into a 3-4 yr deal with a player who is going to continue playing only 35% of the time every season"

It's not like Joe Cole hates one of the koolest cities on earth. He's spent his entire life in London.

So, let's hope the reason that Chelsea were willing to let him walk was something personal between him & the team. After all, despite the obscene new 50% UK tax, no one (including Cole himself) believed that the guy was going to get a raise from his current salary. If anything he would have been lucky to have maintained his salary based upon his health the past 2 seasons.

Concerning Chelsea... Despite the higher #s being throw around during negotiations, Joe Cole was likely only simply hoping for just an extension of his previous contract.

The math above shows that Chelsea could have increased Cole's wages up to £90K per week (from £80K) and they still would have spent basically the same amount that it would have cost to bring in Yossi, who is 2 years older.

So if you are Chelsea, why do this swap deal at all...?

And furthermore and just as importantly....

...Why arm one of your main competitors (who is fiscally constrained) with additional transfer monies ?

It doesn't make sense.

Again, I'll be hoping that the reason has something to do with the working-relationship between Cole and the Chelsea brass/manager and not something medically related that they do have deep insight into.

Anyway, I'll be rooting hard for JCole to succeed @LFC... I just hope the contract is structured appropriately. 'Cause LFC are in no position to be pisssing money around on wages to injured players.

ur a legend mate:cool:

Everything should be ok fitness wise - I have just read that Liverpool have signed Darren Anderton as fitness coach

Not true mate. I heard Liverpool were interested in him, but as soon as City heard about it they added and extra 0 at the end of his transfer fee and his weekly wage and beat us to it :P. Roque Santa Cruz will be delighted I'm sure :D;)

Not true mate. I heard Liverpool were interested in him' date=' but as soon as City heard about it they added and extra 0 at the end of his transfer fee and his weekly wage and beat us to it :P. Roque Santa Cruz will be delighted I'm sure :D;)[/quote']

I suppose the difference between Cole and Santa Cruz is that at least Cole is half decent the 50% of the time when he's fit :D

I think Cole is a good signing for Liverpool for all the right reasons...possibly the best reason being the profile of his name - it sets a marker that Hodgson wants to build rather than buying 100s of Spanish teenagers who might or might not make the grade

i'd just like to say the person who originally called this move, ahead of all the tabloids on here, should step forward for his round of applause...

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1073390&postcount=1706

oh and dont shoot the messenger here but heard joe cole will be in liverpool tomorrow' date=' make of that what you will[/quote']

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=1074876&postcount=1756

heard he was offered a 4 yr deal worth around £15m in total and he's mulling it over' date=' and the meeting went well.[/quote']

what, oh wait, that was me! :D

(and i know i was about £4m off in terms of salary, but i count that as a win) :D

Think of his wages this way

100k a week = 5.2 mill per year

3 years contract = 15.6mill

+signing on fee

Maximum total....20mill?

Worth it I'd say - if he's fit that is

think its £90k a week (£18m in total), but you also factor in benny going (£5m) plus his wages over a similar time frame was i believe around £2-2.5m a year (£8-10m) so the net cost is somewhere between £3-5m, well worth it when you consider who we've basically replaced him with a better player, who whilst having a few injuries the past few years would have bothered me, we've totally restructured the medical team by replacing the old lot with, to put it frankly, good people (and created a sports medicine dept too with bruckner coming from oz), so i'm optimistic that he'll be healthy for us.

and to think in a week or so we'd basically trade voronin, riera and benayoun for maxi, jovanovic and joe cole, plus make around £12m in transfers net (obviously a chunk of that will be going on signing bonuses and around £4m a year or so more in wages, but still) so i see this as a massive win-win scenario in terms of squad depth, plus i feel this could be a sign that gerrard and torres are staying, as i'm pretty sure cole had a chat with stevie to make sure they would (if they werent i doubt he would have come here), and as others have said its a big morale boost for the club and support right now

fao johnny - cole said when he left chelsea it was because of 'political' reasons, whatever they are/were. but his book is out in a month so it may be revealed in that. and yossi and abramovich have several common associates (e.g. pini zahivi) and seeing as abramovich has a history in buying his favourites (shevchenko plus a disproportionate number of players from russian league since his arrival) i wouldnt be too shocked if it was abramovich moreso than ancelotti who decided to go for benayoun

and lets hope we get an LB by the europa game, not really happy insua's gone but he only had a year left and £4-5m is a decent deal for someone who has potential but probably wont be a top class FB

and in very annoying news that they've tried to bury today, they've jacked up ticket prices despite the catastrophy of last season - £45 for cat A games (from £39, and that will be £46 in Jan), £41 for cat B (from £37) and a new Cat C for all the no so good teams @ £39

Right, with the current signings we've made....what do you think the regular line up will be for next season, if you wish you can add your own left back (be realistic) and if you think Remy will be a Liverpool player next season you may add him too. Will be interesting to see what you guys think.

Right' date=' with the current signings we've made....what do you think the regular line up will be for next season, if you wish you can add your own left back (be realistic) and if you think Remy will be a Liverpool player next season you may add him too. Will be interesting to see what you guys think.[/quote']

----reina(epl's best keeper)----

---g.j.----cara---agger---taiwo

--------Lucas----Stevie-------

----jova------cole------remy--

---------------ft9-------------

top 4 class:cool:

or agger moves to lb and skrtel comes in

Reina

Konchesky -- Agger -- Carragher/Skrtel -- Johnson

Aquilani

Jovanivic -- JOE FREAKING COLE!

Gerrard

Torres -- Remy/Kuyt

Aquilani is cm, no offence to Lucas yes he had a great season but I believe its time to drift away from defensive Liverpool, Lucas is a good attacker so to have him to back up Aquilani I think is good for Liverpool, I believe Aquilani needs backing and I think he can be brilliant this season, this is a strong Liverpool side from what I was expecting.

Any thoughts?

Reina

Konchesky -- Agger -- Carragher/Skrtel -- Johnson

Aquilani

Jovanivic -- JOE FREAKING COLE!

Gerrard

Torres -- Remy/Kuyt

Aquilani is cm' date=' no offence to Lucas yes he had a great season but I believe its time to drift away from defensive Liverpool, Lucas is a good attacker so to have him to back up Aquilani I think is good for Liverpool, I believe Aquilani needs backing and I think he can be brilliant this season, this is a strong Liverpool side from what I was expecting.[/center']

Any thoughts?

in all honesty lucas is still better defensively, so would have him in cm, i think now we have the best set of am's in the epl, gerrard, aqua, cole, on my formation i dont like the idea of gerrard in cm tho, uve found a great way but the only problem is aqua in cm

I'll give it a quick shot...

Lots of possibilities with formations:

4-3-3

Reina

Johnson Carragher Agger Taiwo

Gerrard Mascherano Jovanovic

Remy Torres JCole

4-3-1-2 / 4-4-2 Diamond

Reina

JCole/Aquilani

Remy Torres

Anybody else thinking that we need some CBs options ready to step up... ? Don't let the door hit you on the way out Skrtel...:)

Transfers: Other than possibly Taiwo & Remy (both who I rate), I'd really like to see Gervinho on this side. It won't happen... But the guy would add an entire other dimension to the squad. Bryan Ruiz, too...

I'll give it a quick shot...

Lots of possibilities with formations:

4-3-3

Reina

Remy Torres JCole

4-3-1-2 / 4-4-2 Diamond

Reina

JCole/Aquilani

Remy Torres

Anybody else thinking that we need some CBs options ready to step up... ? Don't let the door hit you on the way out Skrtel...:)

Transfers: Other than possibly Taiwo & Remy (both who I rate)' date=' I'd really like to see Gervinho on this side. It won't happen... But the guy would add an entire other dimension to the squad. Bryan Ruiz, too...

.[/quote']

Not sure about having Jovanovic in CM, or deepish lying midfield.

And are we all forgetting about Kuyt? :eek:

Not sure about having Jovanovic in CM' date=' or deepish lying midfield.[/color']

Agreed.

Could possibly have Maxi over there as he played their last season, despite being more comfortable on the rt. But even then I can't see him physically being able to play 50% of the minutes for the season.

It's a spot that needed to be addressed last year, and wasn't. So it's certainly an issue this year, too, no matter what the formation.

And are we all forgetting about Kuyt? :eek:
No. I didn't forget him.

If you move Gerrard away from the center, which IMO they should (think Ballack @ Chelsea). Then the only place for Kuyt to play is in that rt fwd/wing position and out of midfield. Quite frankly it's hard to fit him into those positions if they do bring in Remy.

Mascherano is clearly gonna leave Liverpool

Well... Hopefully not, but just read it as "Mascherano" = DM (and NOT Lucas) :)

Why are you all so certain you'll sign this Remy?

As for formations, I'd say the 4-4-2 diamond would be a good option, would work very nicely :) .

One great thing for Liverpool is the amount of depth they have in the midfield, which means things can be chopped and changed easily if things aren't working. Seriously, you have Lucas, Gerrard, Masch and Aqualani in the middle and Jovanovic, Riera, Babel, J.Cole and El Zhar on the wings. That is a seriously good midfield squad to have.

Do none of you's think Babel is going to be a regular starter this season?And I can't see this Jovanovic playing every week from the start.