Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

It all depends on contract length. Short term a big player will sell merchandise and lift performances. Long term' date=' if he doesn't succeed, nobody's buying the merchandise any more but you've got a very very expensive weekly outlay on him.[/quote']

Very very true, but it's all about taking risks, if we can take stupid risks like Carroll, Henderson, Downing then Sneijder seems like a no brainer.

THIS

Don't see how stupid some fans can be' date=' 'Oh No he'll cost too much in wages' he's a worldwide name in football who will sell shirts. (Heck I'd buy his shirt if he signed)

[b']He will sell shirts if we give him a four-year contract will he sell 20+M pounds worth of merchandise....I doubt it...[/b]

Oh boo hoo he's had an off season in a team he's miserable at where he is arguable (along with Milito) the only good player there.

Plenety of players have an off-season, they said Torres had an off-season Joe Cole had an off season etc. The simple fact is and I say this as a massive fan of his ability, he has not shown that level for varying reasons for a good 18 months.

I couldn't give a monkeys if he doesn't have re-sale value we shouldn't be looking to sell good players anyway. Sick of FSG and there 'Re-sale ability' they can shell out 35 Million for a donkey but 6 Million for a worldwide world class player, it's sad and I'm sick of the same old excuses. If you can name me an AM who we can get for 6 million whose better than Sneijder answers on a postcard please.

You might not care, most fans dont care but if you run the club/the business you will care. It might possibly be that we have splashed out and wasted money at such a ridiculous level on "donkeys" like Carroll etc that they are vary wary of investing so much into somebody that in reality we probably would not get anything back from economically apart from an initial batch of shirt sales.

FSG are majorly bugging me as is Rodgers. Right there is a player who has been there and done that and can take the pressure of Gerrard and for a couple of million more is a young winger in the Championship who has proved NOTHING and we are going after the Championship player.

Cant argue with that in essence but it dont form part of the "model"

Just don't see the logic in anything Liverpool do anymore, I could run that club better with my eyes closed (thats not arrogance) thats how stupid the bunch of idiots at our club are.

Would not go that far, but it is certainly a myth that they have pumped in millions into the club, do the figures and it simply does not ring true. On the playing side there have definetly been mistakes and with FFP they may be wary of making such a big economic commitment.

Rodgers can happily spend 15 Million on Joe Allen (Who again has proved nothing) yet there for for not even half that is a top player who wants to play for us and we aren't going for him.

Agree there, said at the time and will say it again with Allen for 15M you expect something near the finished product, he is miles away from that and does not influence the game at either end at all well enough, I am afraid he dont warrant a spot in the side currently Henderson and Shelvey currently deserve the 3rd midfield spot more than Allen.

I don't usually get annoyed but the amount of rubbish being posted on this thread now is ridiculous and the amount of tripe coming out the club over recent years transfer market wise is beyond a joke.

We are a massive club mate despite what some people say. Agents will leak stories etc knowing players being linked with us can get wage rises, flush out other teams to bid on there client etc....

99% of transfer stories/speculation is mostly rubbish.

It smacks me with ignorance that FSG sanction deals like Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, Joe Allen and Borini but when it comes to a big player like this they won't.

Yes it's a risk but every signing is a risk and they aint paying off for us, we've loaned out our record signing.

Answered earlier really

If Rodgers really does want him he should be brave enough to tell the board, but no re-sale value, age,excessive wages, his perception as a bit of an ego and disruption in dressing-rooms etc (warranted or not I have no idea) and the fact he aint really played/produced for a while

These are the doubts which will be involved in the thought process

THIS

Don't see how stupid some fans can be' date=' 'Oh No he'll cost too much in wages' he's a worldwide name in football who will sell shirts. (Heck I'd buy his shirt if he signed)

Oh boo hoo he's had an off season in a team he's miserable at where he is arguable (along with Milito) the only good player there.

I couldn't give a monkeys if he doesn't have re-sale value we shouldn't be looking to sell good players anyway. Sick of FSG and there 'Re-sale ability' they can shell out 35 Million for a donkey but 6 Million for a worldwide world class player, it's sad and I'm sick of the same old excuses. If you can name me an AM who we can get for 6 million whose better than Sneijder answers on a postcard please.

FSG are majorly bugging me as is Rodgers. Right there is a player who has been there and done that and can take the pressure of Gerrard and for a couple of million more is a young winger in the Championship who has proved NOTHING and we are going after the Championship player.

Just don't see the logic in anything Liverpool do anymore, I could run that club better with my eyes closed (thats not arrogance) thats how stupid the bunch of idiots at our club are.

Rodgers can happily spend 15 Million on Joe Allen (Who again has proved nothing) yet there for for not even half that is a top player who wants to play for us and we aren't going for him.

I don't usually get annoyed but the amount of rubbish being posted on this thread now is ridiculous and the amount of tripe coming out the club over recent years transfer market wise is beyond a joke.

It smacks me with ignorance that FSG sanction deals like Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, Joe Allen and Borini but when it comes to a big player like this they won't.

Yes it's a risk but every signing is a risk and they aint paying off for us, we've loaned out our record signing.[/quote']

Pretty much agree with every comment youve made here. If Allen and Borini at 15 and 11 million respectively are seen as less of a risk than Sneijder for 6million then Im not sure what we are doing. If we had a history of getting bargains then I would understand our reservations as Sneijder is most definately a risk however we have frequently bought players who have nowhere the ability of him and paid way OTT. Hope we get him but we probably wont as he is a proven player with a big reputation. Why buy Sneijder when we can buy Ince....

@ Synyster

The fact we've done stupid transfers doesn't mean we should keep doing them. As Stuart pointed out I think the idea is not to take stupid risks again.

I can't name a better AM who's available for £6m. Can you tell me the reason we have to buy an AM for that exact amount?

@ Synyster

The fact we've done stupid transfers doesn't mean we should keep doing them. As Stuart pointed out I think the idea is not to take stupid risks again.

I can't name a better AM who's available for £6m. Can you tell me the reason we have to buy an AM for that exact amount?

How is Sneijder a stupid transfer? It's a risk as are all transfers, nothing is guaranteed to work out, but for 6 Million can we pass on a player of his calibre, I don't think we can. It's a name we are after, do you think players will flock to us to play with Gerrard and Ince? or Gerrard and Sneijder. It's common sense. You don't know a stupid transfer until a year into their career.

Buying Ince for 8 Million is a stupid risk, buying Sneijder for 6 Million makes a lot more sense.

I'm trying to say that all transfers are risky, but Sneijder at 6 doesn't come under the category of stupid, we gain the transfer fee back with merch sales, if it doesn't work out hopefully he's on a short term contract. He's not injury prone like Cole, we could always sell him on.

I'm asking you to name me a AM for 6 Million because thats what Sneijder is. We could pay more for a younger one and it would still be a bigger risk. Why save money till summer to buy an AM when one is available cheap now. Do you really think that if we don't spend now we'll have more in the Summer? It doesn't work like that.

I get your point Synyster but I don't think Sneijder is ever going to be that good again. Especially to our team where there's a player too similar to him and that particular player is never going to get dropped no matter how out of form he is.

And isn't Sneijder supposed to be extremely injury prone?

Yet to give my two cents on the matter yet and too tired to type an essay on the matter.

If he sign's I wont be against it, but if we miss out on him it shouldnt be seen as a huge loss. If he was as good as people say he is at this moment in time, then why is the main competition to Liverpool's bid Galatasaray rather than Man United, Chelsea, Man City?

Don't know if anyone posted this but Danny Wilson has gone to Hearts till the end of the season.

After previously spending loan spells at Blackpool and Bristol City' date=' the 21-year-old defender has returned to [b']Scotland[/b] for the first time since leaving Rangers in 2010

Luis Suarez has explained why his trademark goal celebration of kissing his wrist is not only a tribute to his daughter - but to Anfield as well.

The striker kisses a tattoo of his two-year-old's name after every goal, but the gesture has taken on additional meaning since he learned that Delfina is an anagram of Anfield.

Suarez junior was born six months before he joined Liverpool and the anagram is a coincidence, but the 25-year-old likes to think there was an element of fate involved in his move to Merseyside.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: "I didn't know her name was an anagram of Anfield but my wife has told me that people here in Liverpool say that when I kiss my wrist, I'm doing it because I have 'Anfield' on there.

"It's a total coincidence but a very nice one at the same time. Maybe there was fate."

( Hopefully fate will make him stay here for good ,now his family has settled in well .) :)

The only other team in the premier league that need him are Man United, and correct me if I'm wrong but Ferguson said that Man Utd wouldn't be doing any business this window. City, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Arsenal already got plently of players in his position. He clearly doesn't want to go to Galatasary, so if you ask me, this is as good as a chance we'll get to sign a world class player of his ability in the next 2 seasons if not more. Signing him now will be just what we need to give Allen a bit more of a rest, and help us push for the top 5 spots. I very much agree with what Synester said that buying Sneijder for only 6m would be a lot less stupider than signing ince for an overpriced 8m. If his wages are 6m a year, for 2 seasons that really makes his total cost 18m. If we can spend 15m on allen, 20m on downing and 35m on carroll, then thats a bargain. Especially when it's been pointed out that he'll make plenty of it back through merchandise. It's also been pointed out that signing him would help us sign other quality players, and then we can afford to move on the rest of the flops, (downing, spearing etc.). And finally it also means, when Gerrard calls it a day, we'll still be able to cope easily because Sneijder is a similar player to him. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Liverpool lineup vs Norwich

Jones' date=' Wisdom, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Suarez, Downing, Sturridge.

Subs: Gulacsi, Allen, Borini, Shelvey, Sterling, Robinson, Skrtel.[/quote']

Hmmm Skrtel dropped interesting. I know Reina's injured, bar that that is the team I would have picked thank god Allen's on the bench.

Last thing i want to do is jinx him, but Henderson has been excellent so far, its took him a while but this has no doubt been his best performance so far in a red shirt. Just looks so confident on the ball running at players, not afraid to pass, getting forward at will and has found himself in a couple of brilliant positions but hasn't been picked out, his goal was impressive aswell.

Last thing i want to do is jinx him' date=' but[b'] Henderson[/b] has been excellent so far, its took him a while but this has no doubt been his best performance so far in a red shirt. Just looks so confident on the ball running at players, not afraid to pass, getting forward at will and has found himself in a couple of brilliant positions but hasn't been picked out, his goal was impressive aswell.

101212end.jpg

Clearly the Mayans were wrong :P