ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I think Aguero's goal was the 3rd best today. It was a very tight angle, especially when considering the curve of the ball but it was to an empty net so I don't really get why it's so special. Obviously with goals, people appreciate different sort of things so I guess people will easily disagree...

Gutted about the result, delighted with the performance, and agree with Synyster re Begovic. I think he's the one we should look at in the Summer.

You love United and hate Liverpool on the same level as most united fans.

i have my own reasons for hating liverpool which have absolutely no connection with manchester united.

I haven't read any previous comments...neither will I be - not out of bitterness, I just can't be bothered :)

Liverpool played exceptionally well in spells today - and scored two class goals. Your pressing was immense at times!

Should they have kicked the ball out? Most teams would have, but that said it utterly annoys me when teams kick the ball out only for the player to get up and be absolutely fine, so based on that well done for playing on.

I think a draw was just about right - but have to say I am starting love Mr Reina coming to Etihad.

Nice of Sturridge not to celebrate, shame he didn't show City the same respect when his agent whispered that Chelsea were sniffing around - but players have done a lot worse than join a bigger club for more money.

We’ve now played Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Norwich, Stoke & Sunderland twice.

Remaining home games:

WBA

Swansea

Spurs

WHU

Chelsea

Everton

QPR

Remaining away games:

Wigan

Southampton

Villa

Reading

Newcastle

Fulham

None of the away games seem impossibly hard and at home we should be able to beat all of those teams . As of late we’ve been pretty efficient against smaller sides, and I don’t think teams like Southampton & Reading (and certainly not Newcastle) are going to just sit back in their home games hoping to get a draw which will suit us just fine because they’ll be more vulnerable at the back. So I think it’s clear we’ll finish higher than 7th but whether we can climb as high as 4th depends on how consistent teams above us are going to be. My prediction would be that we’ll finish 5th.

8 wins, 3 draws & 2 losses would equal to 27 points which equals to 63 at the end of the season. Spurs are now at 45, Everton 42 and Arsenal 41. Would have been massive for us if Spurs had dropped points today.

Opta : Reina's mistakes cost Liverpool 14 points this season . Without those faults ' date=' Liverpool would be in the 3rd place with 4 points above Chelsea .[/i']\

I have no idea who Opta is but its true.

Opta is the official stats company, if that is true that's absolutely ridiculous because he's been injured for about 6 games as well :eek:

I haven't read any previous comments...neither will I be - not out of bitterness' date=' I just can't be bothered :)

Liverpool played exceptionally well in spells today - and scored two class goals. Your pressing was immense at times!

Should they have kicked the ball out? Most teams would have, but that said it utterly annoys me when teams kick the ball out only for the player to get up and be absolutely fine, so based on that well done for playing on.

I think a draw was just about right - but have to say I am starting love Mr Reina coming to Etihad.

Nice of Sturridge not to celebrate, shame he didn't show City the same respect when his agent whispered that Chelsea were sniffing around - but players have done a lot worse than join a bigger club for more money.[/quote']

Your stop on all round here.

Dzeko dived, he was fine.

I haven't read any previous comments...neither will I be - not out of bitterness' date=' I just can't be bothered :)

Nice of Sturridge not to celebrate, shame he didn't show City the same respect when his agent whispered that Chelsea were sniffing around - but players have done a lot worse than join a bigger club for more money.[/quote']

There is so much garbage in this post, i don't even know where to begin.

I think the worst of your offences is deciding that Sturridge was being in any way disrespectful when your club elected to sell him at a fair price. Mancini has overtly stated that they were loathe to lose him, but guess what? That's what happens to strikers when you bench them for no reason for years. Chelsea made the same mistake. And now guess what? His phenomenal talents are going to be appreciated by one of the most fervent fan bases anywhere in the world--in any sport.

He made a classy move today, and trying to disparage that by juxtaposing the gesture with your version of the reality of his transfer from City to Chelsea is childish. He chose not to celebrate because he was never given a fair chance to play for City. His quality was never in doubt. What was in doubt was if the City spending spree would ever calm down to the point where he might get a chance to play. His gesture today was a way to tell the supporters that it is not an issue between them and him, rather between him and management, how poorly they treated him. Thus, his goal brings him no joy, because he is essentially wounding innocent bystanders by scoring an absolute screamer of a goal right up in their face holes.

Sturridge: +1 dignity, +5 class.

You: -10 for not getting that.

Me: +1 for pointing that out.

We’ve now played Man C' date=' Man U, Arsenal, Norwich, Stoke & Sunderland twice.

Remaining home games:

WBA

Swansea

Spurs

WHU

Chelsea

Everton

QPR

Remaining away games:

Wigan

Southampton

Villa

Reading

Newcastle

Fulham

None of the away games seem impossibly hard and at home we [i']should[/i] be able to beat all of those teams . As of late we’ve been pretty efficient against smaller sides, and I don’t think teams like Southampton & Reading (and certainly not Newcastle) are going to just sit back in their home games hoping to get a draw which will suit us just fine because they’ll be more vulnerable at the back. So I think it’s clear we’ll finish higher than 7th but whether we can climb as high as 4th depends on how consistent teams above us are going to be. My prediction would be that we’ll finish 5th.

8 wins, 3 draws & 2 losses would equal to 27 points which equals to 63 at the end of the season. Spurs are now at 45, Everton 42 and Arsenal 41. Would have been massive for us if Spurs had dropped points today.

you will not finish above spurs or arsenal, no chance, 6th is the highest you can hope for and the form everton usually have second half of the season even 6th is unlikely.

He's been dreadful for almost 2 full seasons now and I every time I talk about him i'm shot down

I dont know how many times I have to say this before it sinks in ;) ' date=' but like I said last time on this subject you are not 'shot down' for thinking he needs dropping or w/e , you are shot down because of the way you talk about the guy.

Wether hes 'past his best' or not, and weather hes making mistakes or not he has still done enough to deserve more respect from LFC fans (and to be fair 90% of them do)

He has done loads for this football club both on and off the pitch and has had chances to move to bigger clubs, yet always said he loves the fans and wanted to stay, hes shown loyalty that most always ask for and now hes going through the worst couple of years of his career, were is yours?

He looked devostated today and rightly so, but people asking for Jones, give me a break even with Reinas mistakes Jones isnt in his league, everyone forgot about Oldham already?

We do need to buy a new keeper tho and either let Reina move on to try and kick start his career again, or just to put major pressure on Reina, however having 2 class keepers never usually works out for 1 of them.

But again Kev, you are not shot down for saying you want a change, I shoot you down due to the way you talk about the guy like hes a piece of .....

Both Liverpool supporters' and management's reluctance to accept this leads me to believe there are significant contractual issues which prohibit moving him against his will.

LFC fans do accept hes not been at his best for some time, but move him against his will? not many will want to do that, and how people can suggest it after they kick up such a fuss about the likes of Torres being a 'traitor' and what not is a joke to be honest, fans can't have it both ways.

I dont know how many times I have to say this before it sinks in ;) ' date=' but like I said last time on this subject you are not 'shot down' for thinking he needs dropping or w/e , you are shot down because of the way you talk about the guy.

Wether hes 'past his best' or not, and weather hes making mistakes or not he has still done enough to deserve more respect from LFC fans (and to be fair 90% of them do)

He has done loads for this football club both on and off the pitch and has had chances to move to bigger clubs, yet always said he loves the fans and wanted to stay, hes shown loyalty that most always ask for and now hes going through the worst couple of years of his career, were is yours?

He looked devostated today and rightly so, but people asking for Jones, give me a break even with Reinas mistakes Jones isnt in his league, everyone forgot about Oldham already?

We do need to buy a new keeper tho and either let Reina move on to try and kick start his career again, or just to put major pressure on Reina, however having 2 class keepers never usually works out for 1 of them.

But again Kev, you are not shot down for saying you want a change, I shoot you down due to the way you talk about the guy like hes a piece of .....

LFC fans do accept hes not been at his best for some time, but move him against his will? not many will want to do that, and how people can suggest it after they kick up such a fuss about the likes of Torres being a 'traitor' and what not is a joke to be honest, fans can't have it both ways.[/quote']

I understand everything he's done for the club, if you read my other post you would have seen that, but his off the pitch actions can't cover the fact he's been dreadful on it, sentiment is costing us points on a consistent basis, we need to bring in a keeper of serious class and allow Reina to transfer to another club, we can't put off bringing in a keeper just because Reina's been a great servant to the club. I understand he gave us the best part of his career but whether you like it or not he's not at that standard anymore and for Liverpool to move on we have to forget about sentiment and bring someone in.

Your judging my tone off my posts which is never a smart thing to do, I critisise him because on the pitch he's been pathetic for a good 2 seasons now, I'm not making a judgement on the guys personality or what he does off the pitch for the club I can only make a judgement on what I see and what I see isn't good at all. I bet he's a top guy off the pitch and I have respect for everything he's done for us but he's just not good enough for us anymore.

Every player looks devastated for making a mistake, he looked devastated on all the other mistakes he made doesn't mean he will be booking up his ideas anytime soon.

It's not poor form he's just degraded in pretty much all areas he used to be good in, i'd like to see him move on because he deserves to be at a top team, with Barca interested he may as well move on. Liverpool won't get any better until we replace him that's all I think.

Can't be bothered to go back to quote the post, but I definitely thought Aguero's was best. You so rarely see players score from there, even with the keeper out and, whilst Gerrard's was brilliant, you see a couple of people stick it in from 30 yards every week. Factor in that Aguero hit it on the volley, across his body, with the swerve to get it to curve back into the net and you see it was truly exceptional.

People were saying they knew Gerrard's was going in when he got the ball. Nobody would have thought Aguero would score that how he did.

Opta : Reina's mistakes cost Liverpool 14 points this season . Without those faults ' date=' Liverpool would be in the 3rd place with 4 points above Chelsea .[/i']\

I have no idea who Opta is but its true.

Opta are a leading sports statistics company. I believe the correct stat on their tweet is that individual errors (not necessarily Reina's) have cost Liverpool 14 points this season. So, it would include things like Skrtel's backpass against us earlier this season.

Your stop on all round here.

Dzeko dived' date=' he was fine.[/quote']

Dzeko didn't dive, he was fouled. No idea why he stayed down for so long though.

There is so much garbage in this post' date=' i don't even know where to begin.

I think the worst of your offences is deciding that Sturridge was being in any way disrespectful when your club elected to sell him at a fair price. Mancini has overtly stated that they were loathe to lose him, but guess what? That's what happens to strikers when you bench them for no reason for years. Chelsea made the same mistake. And now guess what? His phenomenal talents are going to be appreciated by one of the most fervent fan bases anywhere in the world--in any sport.

He made a classy move today, and trying to disparage that by juxtaposing the gesture with your version of the reality of his transfer from City to Chelsea is childish. He chose not to celebrate because he was never given a fair chance to play for City. His quality was never in doubt. What was in doubt was if the City spending spree would ever calm down to the point where he might get a chance to play. His gesture today was a way to tell the supporters that it is not an issue between them and him, rather between him and management, how poorly they treated him. Thus, his goal brings him no joy, because he is essentially wounding innocent bystanders by scoring an absolute screamer of a goal right up in their face holes.

Sturridge: +1 dignity, +5 class.

You: -10 for not getting that.

Me: +1 for pointing that out.[/quote']

We didn't sell Sturridge. We got compensation because he let his contract expire at City whilst asking for absurd wages. Basically, he heard Chelsea were sniffing and decided to move there without complications. We got a fraction of his value in return. He's a greedy little swine but, like Ian, I'll respect him much more after today.

Well, in my unbiased opinion, Sturridge's goal was the best today. Followed by Gerrard's and then Aguero's in 3rd. I just don't think Aguero's was that amazing, but that's just me. No one can say anyone's was definitely the best, since it's subjective anyway.

...been at his best for some time' date=' but move him against his will? not many will want to do that, and how people can suggest it after they kick up such a fuss about the likes of Torres being a 'traitor' and what not is a joke to be honest, fans can't have it both ways.[/quote']

This is a valid point. I hadn't seen it that way. Now i do, sort of. Isn't the truth of it that a number of supporters will always find something to whine about? In this case, with all due respect to both Reina and Liverpool, it is time to part ways. Liverpool has a glorious history of keeping players ong-term, but i think Reina knows it's time to move on, and the club is kind of waiting for him to say something. That is my explanation for their transfer silence last summer and in January. If they buy a new keeper, they made the first move. If he comes to them, then an agreement can be reached to part ways, Pepe leaves a short list of teams or leagues he would accept playing for, and that's that.

We didn't sell Sturridge. We got compensation because he let his contract expire at City whilst asking for absurd wages. Basically' date=' he heard Chelsea were sniffing and decided to move there without complications. We got a fraction of his value in return. He's a greedy little swine but, like Ian, I'll respect him much more after today.[/quote']

And i don't see anything wrong with that. City slapped him in the face. To keep him, they would have had to pay for him. Chelsea slapped him in the face, and now they are basically doing the same thing to Lukaku (Ba? Really?). I've never been a striker, but i've been around them in various circumstances to know full well that the odd man out better be treated well (Hernandez, Wellbeck), otherwise, the player will exercise his full right to compensation; in the case of this discussion, that means wasting several of your prime years on a bench, watching overpaid players dog it around the pitch.

Look at it this way: professional athletes have a very short period of time, in which to earn as much money as possible. There is nothing wrong with that. There is, however, a problem with limiting the potential of a player's career in the interests of squad and injury depth. You make Sturridge out to be a bully, or a mercenary. All he was doing with his wage demands and contractual disputes was exercising his right to fair pay and play, since the situation he was in, the game time he was getting, could have been occupied by essentially anyone.

He was not being disloyal, he was asking for fairness. I think today is the day a lot of people got to see the real Daniel Sturridge. And i couldn't be happier about that.

You should be glad you guys got rid of Balotelli when you did, otherwise he would have been well within his rights to similarly burn you guys.

A lot of this has to do with my opinions on squad sizes in SM, as well. Players deserve respect. With that, the loyalty of the fans is earned.

I understand everything he's done for the club' date=' if you read my other post you would have seen that, but his off the pitch actions can't cover the fact he's been dreadful on it, sentiment is costing us points on a consistent basis, we need to bring in a keeper of serious class and allow Reina to transfer to another club, we can't put off bringing in a keeper just because Reina's been a great servant to the club. I understand he gave us the best part of his career but whether you like it or not he's not at that standard anymore and for Liverpool to move on we have to forget about sentiment and bring someone in.[/quote']

I agree with the above, however again I'm talking about the way you spoke about the guy, the above paragraph is fine, however calling him some of the names or some of the other comments you have made are not (imo anyways)

I also used to disagree on replacing Reina, however I am now starting to think he either needs that boost players can get when moving to a new challenge, or he needs some proper competition here.

Your judging my tone off my posts which is never a smart thing to do' date=' I critisise him because on the pitch he's been pathetic for a good 2 seasons now, I'm not making a judgement on the guys personality or what he does off the pitch for the club I can only make a judgement on what I see and what I see isn't good at all. I bet he's a top guy off the pitch and I have respect for everything he's done for us but he's just not good enough for us anymore.[/quote']

I know you aint talking about his personality, but even when talking about him in games, we should still talk about him with a little more respect and not call him 'pathetic' and needs to be out the door ASAP etc etc (again imo)

It's all good saying we should replace him at the end of the season, and we might well do but until then there is no point in keep saying comments like that every week (and the other stuff you used to say about him that I used to argue against)

Every player looks devastated for making a mistake' date=' he looked devastated on all the other mistakes he made doesn't mean he will be booking up his ideas anytime soon.[/quote']

No it wont, however everyone makes mistakes, and all we can do is try not making them again, he loves LFC and costing us points would have hurt him, however even if he makes more, he still isnt 'pathetic' and the other stuff, hes just a guy who's making mistakes, hes hardly doing it on purpose.

Does he need replacing? maybe so but again until then all the guy can do is try his best.

It's not poor form he's just degraded in pretty much all areas he used to be good in' date=' i'd like to see him move on because he deserves to be at a top team, with Barca interested he may as well move on. Liverpool won't get any better until we replace him that's all I think.[/quote']

Agree with the above :( , although I still have faith he will hit top form again, but I guess that might be sentiment on my part.

Anyways.... I think we should just move on :) , we wont agree on things like this and thats good, least we can agree the team was great today and are carrying on with some great progess.

Well what a fantastic display, see the mancs are claiming they were worthy of a draw but I expect nowt less, we played them off the park on both occasions this season and only our own stupidity means we have not got six points from those games.

I said I felt we would win/draw at Man City and was more Nervous about the Arsenal game as there pace can hurt us, we struggle against pace and a big front man physically imposing City have neither.

The pressing was brilliant unlike against Arsenal where we ran outta legs today was superb, we didn't let them play all in there faces for 90minutes was exceptional and the best I have seen us press as a team. The passing and movement was first class the improvement in our play has been noticeable. Not only the improvement within the sides but individual players such as Henderson and Downing who have excelled lately.

The link-up between Sturridge and Suarez just gets better game by game. This was easily Sturridge's best game his all round play was superb and there does seem to be a telepathic link-up, both were central today which is fine by me, I just dont want Suarez out on the wing for reasons I have detailed many times before so no need to go into again.

Nothing wrong with Sturridge goal. Can be a debate whether it was a foul (I wouldn't have complained if a foul was given) but there was nothing wrong with Dzeko. He waved his arms around, sat up then for some unbeknown reason "pain" kicked in 10 seconds after it happened.

I saw somebody say Stevie is back......he was never gone, always has and always likely to be Liverpool's greatest ever player in my time. The problem is if he falls below superhuman people think he has "lost it" the reality is he has re-modelled his game a bit but being the world-class player he is he will always adapt.

Absolutely gutting with there equalizer, huge error by Pepe wonderful finish by Aguero though. I honestly could not see them scoring we looked so comfotable but just like at Anfield they got rescued by a stupid mistake.

Synster nobody is saying Pepe is above criticism far be it and he certainly deserves it today, my only problem is you keep saying or have previously Brad Jones is a better option and I just aint having that. There is certainly a debate over our Goalkeeper position nobody disputes that.

Overall absolutely gutted TBH weplayed them off the park IMO, to go to the home of the Champions and dominate as we did shows how we are heading. You cant help but be delighted with the display if we cut out the stupid individual errors I really dont see any side in the League that should really Scare us in any form.

Do you guys think Rodgers can get us pressing like that every game tho? that has always been the massive difference between us and say Man Utd.

They will play like that against ANY side more often than not, were as we only seem to get up for these 'big clubs'

From the comments Rodgers has made of late is sounds like he is saying they DO need to play to that level against any side or they will be shown the door, which I think sounds good from his part and I have not heard any of our managers say anything like that before.

And i don't see anything wrong with that. City slapped him in the face. To keep him' date=' they would have had to pay for him. Chelsea slapped him in the face, and now they are basically doing the same thing to Lukaku (Ba? Really?). I've never been a striker, but i've been around them in various circumstances to know full well that the odd man out better be treated well (Hernandez, Wellbeck), otherwise, the player will exercise his full right to compensation; in the case of this discussion, that means wasting several of your prime years on a bench, watching overpaid players dog it around the pitch.

Look at it this way: professional athletes have a very short period of time, in which to earn as much money as possible. There is nothing wrong with that. There is, however, a problem with limiting the potential of a player's career in the interests of squad and injury depth. You make Sturridge out to be a bully, or a mercenary. All he was doing with his wage demands and contractual disputes was exercising his right to fair pay and play, since the situation he was in, the game time he was getting, could have been occupied by essentially anyone.

He was not being disloyal, he was asking for fairness. I think today is the day a lot of people got to see the real Daniel Sturridge. And i couldn't be happier about that.

You should be glad you guys got rid of Balotelli when you did, otherwise he would have been well within his rights to similarly burn you guys.

A lot of this has to do with my opinions on squad sizes in SM, as well. Players deserve respect. With that, the loyalty of the fans is earned.[/quote']

We didn't slap him in the face. We offered him a very reasonable deal (very excessive really) for someone who'd had just a handful of games under his belt. Sturridge was just greedy.

Bear in mind that this was before we were taken over and didn't have cash to throw at players. Sturridge I think wanted parity with our highest earners when he was far from one of our best players.