ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Well done to you lot on getting a draw against city.Sturridge a good signing.

Thought use should of won it. :o

If it wasn't for stupid individual mistakes in both games, we'd have beaten them home and away this season.

Some quality goals yesterday made for a really entertaining game.

If it wasn't for stupid individual mistakes in both games' date=' we'd have beaten them home and away this season.

Some quality goals yesterday made for a really entertaining game.[/quote']

Individual mistakes this season, individual mistakes last season. I would love someone to make a resume of the points lost due to mistakes only from Reina, Agger and Skrtel.

Individual mistakes this season' date=' individual mistakes last season. I would love someone to make a resume of the points lost due to mistakes only from Reina, Agger and Skrtel.[/quote']

All teams could blame the same thing to be fair.

But why do we always blame the goalkeepers and defenders? what about midfielders giving away simple balls that they shouldnt, or what about the strikers missing sitters all the time?

Suarez missed a great chance yesterday that he just swiped at, and he also gave the ball away stupidly for City's second goal, if he had held onto that the other mistake would never have happened.

I don't think we should blame the defense all the time, because really if no mistakes would be being made at the other end not only would we score that many goals it wouldnt matter if the defenders messed up (ALA Man Utd), but we would be giving the defenders less chance to mess up anyway.

All teams could blame the same thing to be fair.

But why do we always blame the goalkeepers and defenders? what about midfielders giving away simple balls that they shouldnt' date=' or what about the strikers missing sitters all the time?

Suarez missed a great chance yesterday that he just swiped at, and he also gave the ball away stupidly for City's second goal, if he had held onto that the other mistake would never have happened.

I don't think we should blame the defense all the time, because really if no mistakes would be being made at the other end not only would we score that many goals it wouldnt matter if the defenders messed up (ALA Man Utd), but we would be giving the defenders less chance to mess up anyway.[/quote']

I agree that last season apart from the defender's mistakes the forwards (mostly Suarez) missed a lot of opportunities. That really doesn't matter because im stating that the defenders mistakes costed a lot of points last season and this season as well (one thing has nothing to do with the other). If the defender makes a mistake but the game ends 3-1 or 2-1 then it wouldn't mind but what happens is that they KEEP MAKING DUMB MISTAKES. Rodgers wants to play with a philosophy close to Barcelona. The tiki-taka way of playing, but to do that you need players with great passing technique thing that Skrtel, José Enrique, Wisdom, Carragher, Leiva, Allen do not have and thus when pressed properly they commit loads of mistakes.

Again... if someone makes a resume of the amount of points lost due to defensive mistakes you would be all surprised (im pretty sure you would have ended 4th if it wasn't for defensive mistakes).

Right now, the goals are happening. Suarez is scoring, Sturridge has an amazing record so far, Gerrard is getting consistent again but the defensive mistakes keep happening. I think is time for Rodgers to focus on that. Skrtel and Agger are towers and very dangerous on the rivals area thus Liverpool suffers a lot from aerial balls on its own... :confused:

I like this Liverpool way more than last season, way way more with Sturridge. It is a shame that they hired him now and not at the beginning of the season, he would have helped Liverpool to be way up in the table.

Seen there was a little debate about the best goal scored yesterday, my vote goes to Aguero, simply sensational, the technique, intelligence, speed of thought , precision, everything about that, heard the BBC commentator Jonathan Pearce saying on MOTD ''how long would it have taken to practise that?'', answer from my point of view is he didn't practise it, its just something instinctive all great players have.

Gerrard deserved his award yesterday aswell, to come back so strong after a long term injury, you know your'e special, has to be the best English midfielder in the last 10 years or so.

Also seen Stoke snapped up Butland for a steal really, oh well, never expected Liverpool to be in for a bargain anyway, new keeper has to be a priority, you cant really blame Reina's head atm when the best club side in the world and probably history is looking for a new keeper and youre on top of the list.

Untitled-1_75.jpg

The Spanish international has already made four errors in the Premier League this term that have led to goals - the same as his total for the WHOLE of last season.

Meanwhile, in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 campaigns, Reina did not make ANY errors that lead to goals, while he was guilty of just one in 2008/09.

The 30 year-old is conceding more goals-per-game than at any other stage of his Liverpool career, while his saves-to-shot percentage is also at an all-time low

PS;

And what a time for Reina to make a comment on Liverpool :rolleyes:

Reina told Marca: "Right now we can't compete with the big guns. They have a big edge over us at the moment, both financially and squad-wise.

"There's a reason they are so many points ahead of us, and it's not because of one or two better players."

The Spain international has come under the spotlight personally this term, with his standards having slipped from previous seasons.

Reina admits this has been the most testing campaign for himself and the Reds since he moved to Anfield in July 2005, but defended his displays and insists the club need to be given time under Rodgers.

He added: "It's been a strange season for me because I've missed lots of games with injury.

"Some people say I've had a bad season, but honestly I think I only had three poor matches, at the beginning of the year.

"This has been the most unsettled season, both personally and as a team, since I joined the club.

"Liverpool is going through a transitional period, with new ideas and a different playing philosophy. That takes time. People have to be patient. It's normal for us to be erratic."

Some people say i've had a bad season but honestly I think I only had three poor matches, at the beginning of the year. :eek:

Doesn't bode well when a player can't admit he's been dreadful for most of the season.

In other news heavy links with Ter Stegen today as well as Ron-Robert Zieler (Former United Youth) both young Keepers, would prefer Ter Stegen.

This is a valid point. I hadn't seen it that way. Now i do' date=' sort of. Isn't the truth of it that a number of supporters will always find something to whine about? In this case, with all due respect to both Reina and Liverpool, it is time to part ways. Liverpool has a glorious history of keeping players ong-term, but i think Reina knows it's time to move on, and the club is kind of waiting for him to say something. That is my explanation for their transfer silence last summer and in January. If they buy a new keeper, they made the first move. If he comes to them, then an agreement can be reached to part ways, Pepe leaves a short list of teams or leagues he would accept playing for, and that's that.

And i don't see anything wrong with that. City slapped him in the face. To keep him, they would have had to pay for him. Chelsea slapped him in the face, and now they are basically doing the same thing to Lukaku (Ba? Really?). I've never been a striker, but i've been around them in various circumstances to know full well that the odd man out better be treated well (Hernandez, Wellbeck), otherwise, the player will exercise his full right to compensation; in the case of this discussion, that means wasting several of your prime years on a bench, watching overpaid players dog it around the pitch.

Look at it this way: professional athletes have a very short period of time, in which to earn as much money as possible. There is nothing wrong with that. There is, however, a problem with limiting the potential of a player's career in the interests of squad and injury depth. You make Sturridge out to be a bully, or a mercenary. All he was doing with his wage demands and contractual disputes was exercising his right to fair pay and play, since the situation he was in, the game time he was getting, could have been occupied by essentially anyone.

He was not being disloyal, he was asking for fairness. I think today is the day a lot of people got to see the real Daniel Sturridge. And i couldn't be happier about that.

You should be glad you guys got rid of Balotelli when you did, otherwise he would have been well within his rights to similarly burn you guys.

A lot of this has to do with my opinions on squad sizes in SM, as well. Players deserve respect. With that, the loyalty of the fans is earned.[/quote']

Lukaku is 19....

Lukaku is 19....

Don't be silly! A wage like £30k per week (what I believe City offered Sturridge; he wanted double), is completely unacceptable for a teenager :rolleyes: After all, they don't have long to make as much money as possible... Shall we look at that in more detail?

Suppose Sturridge earned £30k per week throughout a 15 year career, which is a huge underestimation. That equates to £23.4m as a career earnings. Bear in mind that this is based on his wage as an 18 year old, and assumes he won't do anything at all once he retires from playing, which is also absurd.

Now, let's take your average bloke who works for 50 years (20 to 70, roughly). To match Sturridge's extremely basic wage, your average bloke would have to rake in £468k a year. That's higher than any job I'm aware of!

In short, the Good Dr. Shame is clearly a fool :)

Don't be silly! A wage like £30k per week (what I believe City offered Sturridge; he wanted double)' date=' is completely unacceptable for a teenager [/quote']

Silly money is part and parcel of the modern game ,youve just compared his to the average bloke and youve only taken a paltry 30k into account .;)

What about Gerrard and co on more than 100k a week imagine how much a year the average man Must need to earn a year .

Trouble is you can not compare it with the average man it is a no brainer .

The average man will never excpect to have the lifestyle which comes with the players that go to the top clubs which rake in most of the millions now on offer ,plus going to get bigger when the new TV money will come to their coffers.

On all accounts Sterlings agents wanted 40k and rising ," why ?" were led to believe because they knew Joe Cole was on 100k and not playing games ,he was so should be getting around that ammount ,absurd completely but if you were in their shoes would you see it that way .

Joe Cole in 3yrs had 26 appearences and scored 3 goals.

Sterlings only started this year yet already has appeared 25 times and scored 2 .

You could say Cole has earned his right to be on these wages ,he came with more Pedigree which on all accounts Sterling has only started his learning curve ,so while the stats show Sterlings agents do have a case because Sterling is not the finished article then to want the same just like your classing Sturridge is classed as greed .

For City and Chelsea Sturridges first team opportunities were sporadic at both clubs so also a good reason for wanting to move on not just money .:)

Silly money is part and parcel of the modern game ' date='youve just compared his to the average bloke and youve only taken a paltry 30k into account .;)

What about Gerrard and co on more than 100k a week imagine how much a year the average man Must need to earn a year .

Trouble is you can not compare it with the average man it is a no brainer .

The average man will never excpect to have the lifestyle which comes with the players that go to the top clubs which rake in most of the millions now on offer ,plus going to get bigger when the new TV money will come to their coffers.

On all accounts Sterlings agents wanted 40k and rising ," why ?" were led to believe because they knew Joe Cole was on 100k and not playing games ,he was so should be getting around that ammount ,absurd completely but if you were in their shoes would you see it that way .

Joe Cole in 3yrs had 26 appearences and scored 3 goals.

Sterlings only started this year yet already has appeared 25 times and scored 2 .

You could say Cole has earned his right to be on these wages ,he came with more Pedigree which on all accounts Sterling has only started his learning curve ,so while the stats show Sterlings agents do have a case because Sterling is not the finished article then to want the same just like your classing Sturridge is classed as greed .

For City and Chelsea Sturridges first team opportunities were sporadic at both clubs so also a good reason for wanting to move on not just money .:)[/quote']

I, of course, realise that footballers get paid silly money. I was simply countering the other poster's point that footballers have a short career so need to earn a lot in that time. I showed that even a low footballer's wage would far outstrip any common job, even those that can provide a very plush lifestyle.

At the time of Sterling signing his contract, he was a regular first team player, so I can sort of understand his demands (especially seeing as a contract foresees a player's role, rather than looks back at how often they've played). Sturridge wasn't a regular at all, he was starting to get some first team appearances which were aiding his development. I think his demands at the time were very similar to the wages of our highest earners which he didn't deserve and wouldn't be at the level of for another year or two at least, by which time he'd most likely have an improved contract anyway. Hence, I say he's greedy. He moved for more money and less playing time at Chelsea whilst getting City nothing like what we could have got for him in compensation.

Untitled-1_75.jpg

The Spanish international has already made four errors in the Premier League this term that have led to goals - the same as his total for the WHOLE of last season.

Meanwhile' date=' in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 campaigns, Reina did not make ANY errors that lead to goals, while he was guilty of just one in 2008/09.

The 30 year-old is conceding more goals-per-game than at any other stage of his Liverpool career, while his saves-to-shot percentage is also at an all-time low

PS;

And what a time for Reina to make a comment on Liverpool :rolleyes:

Some people say i've had a bad season but honestly I think I only had three poor matches, at the beginning of the year. :eek:

Doesn't bode well when a player can't admit he's been dreadful for most of the season.

In other news heavy links with Ter Stegen today as well as Ron-Robert Zieler (Former United Youth) both young Keepers, would prefer Ter Stegen.[/quote']I've always been worried at the prospect of Reina leaving. At one time there weren't many better, but for me he's been no better than Brad Jones this season.

These comments are just setting himself up for a move by the looks of it.

It'd be great if we signed ter Stegen.

I personally would like to give Reina one more season here. At 30 years old of age, it is pretty decent age for goalkeeper. It say lot more if all top club want him as their goalkeeper, maybe it is just about his confident. If he can get that back, I think he will be top class.

I still remember how Alonso was horrendous a season before he left, when Rafa tried to offload him, and the next season he was top class and left to joined Real Madrid, and since then he have been so good, regardless how bad he was a season before.

I don't think we were in position to let go one of our best player (I know he have been bad in this past season, but he still top class goalie) right now.

If only we want to let him go, I suggest we bought a replacement before we sold Reina. Like how we sold Torres while Suarez is already coming in. That would be more wise in a lot of aspect; selling club don't hold ransom against us for starter.

I've always been worried at the prospect of Reina leaving. At one time there weren't many better' date=' but for me he's been no better than Brad Jones this season.

These comments are just setting himself up for a move by the looks of it.

It'd be great if we signed ter Stegen.[/quote']

I know I stick up for Reina normally anyway, but I do agree hes way off the pace for us now a days and probably does need to move on.

However Jones is no way near as good as Reina even while hes not at his best, we still look way better with Reina in goal than Jones and even just doing the Basics Jones doesnt do it as good as Reina and this proved so when he had a run of games (granted he did 'ok')

If people were to try and pick out all his errors (both major and minor) I think you will find Jones is way ahead.

As for stats... they can be twisted to make anybody look bad, Reina made errors during his first few years but because not all of them might have led to a goal (IE if Aguero had missed like he should have :P ) it would knock that stat down to 3.

If 1 GK made 4 stupid errors but the strikers missed the chance or it got clearerd, he would have '0' fatal errors

If another made 2 but both were punished.....

That is just down to luck, not great goalkeeping.

Whatever happens, until he leaves he deserves the utmost respect from the LFC fans because thats all he has ever given us.

Tad embarrasing that under Benitez you only beat Debrecen 1-0 at Anfield despite the opposition goalkeeper willing to let you score:rolleyes:

Says a lot about his philosophy to the game tbh:o

That's like calling Fergie on games you have drew 0-0 against poor opposition were the goalkeeper has played a blinder, you make the wierdest of posts sometimes lol

I KNEW when I saw the article on Skysports either you or Ian would post it on here but you could have come up with something more better because that comment above is.. well :o

That's like calling Fergie on games you have drew 0-0 against poor opposition were the goalkeeper has played a blinder' date=' you make the wierdest of posts sometimes lol

I KNEW when I saw the article on Skysports either you or Ian would post it on here [b']but you could have come up with something more better [/b]because that comment above is.. well :o

More better??

As in ....better:confused::P

Well the obvious would have been to accuse you lot of being cheats and trying to implicate Suarez in it somehow.....

however, it would not make any sense to 'cheat' your way to a win in a group that you ultimately failed to exit from anyhow - that sort of stupidity would have been 2 managers later;)

Finally there is a mahoosive difference between a GK playing a blinder and willing you to score - If we had drawn 0-0 with you lot with Grobelaar in goal I would have been awfully embarrased:o

I know I stick up for Reina normally anyway' date=' but I do agree hes way off the pace for us now a days and probably does need to move on.

However Jones is no way near as good as Reina even while hes not at his best, we still look way better with Reina in goal than Jones and even just doing the Basics Jones doesnt do it as good as Reina and this proved so when he had a run of games (granted he did 'ok')

If people were to try and pick out all his errors (both major and minor) I think you will find Jones is way ahead.

As for stats... they can be twisted to make anybody look bad, Reina made errors during his first few years but because not all of them might have led to a goal (IE if Aguero had missed like he should have :P ) it would knock that stat down to 3.

If 1 GK made 4 stupid errors but the strikers missed the chance or it got clearerd, he would have '0' fatal errors

If another made 2 but both were punished.....

That is just down to luck, not great goalkeeping.

Whatever happens, until he leaves he deserves the utmost respect from the LFC fans because thats all he has ever given us.[/quote']I agree about stats. People make too much of them sometimes, and i think i've mentioned something about this in more detail in this thread before.

However, anyone watching Liverpool this season can see Reina has been poor at times, regardless of stats. Some think he's been going downhill for a season or two now, which i haven't seen so much, but this season definitely.

Might check my own site's subjective player ratings average to see where Reina and Jones come out numbers wise!

Like Vendetta says, it's tempting to stick with him as 30-35 is supposed to be a good age for a keeper, but not all players will fit their positional stereotype for the best age.

If you get a good price for Reina and take ter Stegen now (summer), you've got a good keeper there for a good number of years, like Man United with de Gea, Spurs with Lloris, City with Hart, Arsenal with Szczesny, and Chelsea with Courtois.

Tad embarrasing that under Benitez you only beat Debrecen 1-0 at Anfield despite the opposition goalkeeper willing to let you score:rolleyes:

Or how thick the GK was seems he had to let in at least 3 goals not one .;).

1999 Members of an Asian betting syndicate caught tampering with *floodlights to get Charlton v Liverpool abandoned. West Ham v Crystal Palace and Wimbledon v Arsenal were earlier victims of same scam

Apperently with the above they used the London based M.Utd supporters to help them out .

"1" held the light bulbs while the other 58,000 tried to turn the floodlight stands around .;):)

Well considering we had 9 shots on target that game, it says nothing about Benitez and more about the goalkeeper.