ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Any thoughts?

Looks good, but we probably won't be in for Cabaye and even though Andy Hunter is quite a good source, I doubt we'll even get Ben Arfa. But I would be very happy with Arfa, Ter Stegen/Begovic and a centre back. Realistic as well.

With a decent keeper and winger (Ince included) I'd be very confident about challenging for fourth next year (maybe even 3rd if we get consistency and Chelsea don't get Falcao :o). We could even challenge this season with a few wins and favorable results against our rivals. But I think there's about 20% chance we'd get there this season.

Looks good' date=' but we probably won't be in for Cabaye and even though Andy Hunter is quite a good source, I doubt we'll even get Ben Arfa. But I would be very happy with Arfa, Ter Stegen/Begovic and a centre back. Realistic as well.

With a decent keeper and winger (Ince included) I'd be very confident about challenging for fourth next year (maybe even 3rd if we get consistency and Chelsea don't get Falcao :o). We could even challenge this season with a few wins and favorable results against our rivals. But I think there's about 20% chance we'd get there this season.[/quote']

I know we wont get Cabaye, I was just thinking he would be a great signing for us. And I cant imagine we'll get Ben Arfa to be honest but I would love us to. Sakho is available and would come to us according to SSN. I think we're at the stage were we now have depth and we just need 2 or 3 quality players to take us to the next level which imo Cabaye and Ben Arfa would take us to. I can only dream i guess. :o;)

i just wouldnt be comfortable in getting a 20 year old as our first choice GK...

would prefer experience first...

the lad Zieler who used to be on Utd books is a very capable GK, also involved in the Germany team

I think you are all living in cloud cuckoo land with Ben Arfa.

I cant see Newcastle selling regardless of any deal for Carroll and I dont think he would be that high on the priority list anyhow.

The priorities for the summer will be a CB and possibly a Goalkeeper.

Ben Arfa has his moments but has he been that good this season?? I know he has had his injuries but he aint been that impressive (how he got a rise to 90 is beyond me, SM speaking based on performances this season). I just dont see him as anywhere near a priority.

Might as well tick Cabaye off your sheet as well not going to happen.

Agree with Daggers regarding the keeper no matter how good a keeper may look at a young-age such as Ter Stegen, Butland there is always an element of doubt. I personally like a physically imposing Goalkeeper. I wouldnt have been averse to Ter-Stegen at all but there are no guarentees.

Robert Zieler aint a bad shout, affordable and viable as well. Although aint he the keeper who I have seen a few times on German Football wearing like trackie bottoms while in goal, cant have that, Man Up Robert!! :)

Lots of decent keepers in Germany actually, decent keepers are on the whole a rare breed now days, bit like CB'S how many real top top class CB's exist nowdays....not many I would suggest :(

Much like the art of defending in general declining rapidly.

I think you are all living in cloud cuckoo land with Ben Arfa.

I cant see Newcastle selling regardless of any deal for Carroll and I dont think he would be that high on the priority list anyhow.

The priorities for the summer will be a CB and possibly a Goalkeeper.

Ben Arfa has his moments but has he been that good this season?? I know he has had his injuries but he aint been that impressive (how he got a rise to 90 is beyond me' date=' SM speaking based on performances this season). I just dont see him as anywhere near a priority.

Might as well tick Cabaye off your sheet as well not going to happen.

Agree with Daggers regarding the keeper no matter how good a keeper may look at a young-age such as Ter Stegen, Butland there is always an element of doubt. I personally like a physically imposing Goalkeeper. I wouldnt have been averse to Ter-Stegen at all but there are no guarentees.

Robert Zieler aint a bad shout, affordable and viable as well. Although aint he the keeper who I have seen a few times on German Football wearing like trackie bottoms while in goal, cant have that, Man Up Robert!! :)

Lots of decent keepers in Germany actually, decent keepers are on the whole a rare breed now days, bit like CB'S how many real top top class CB's exist nowdays....not many I would suggest :(

Much like the art of defending in general declining rapidly.[/quote']

Really? I agree about defenders but the number of top class goalkeepers astounds me, especially in the Premier League.

Players like Krul, Begovic, Mignolet, Vorm, Cesar even Al Habsi, Foster are all very good and playing outside the elite teams this season.

Then in Germany there's a production line as well.

Ben Arfa this, Ben Arfa that.

1. I honestly don't think he'd leave us for you lot. If he did leave us, his priority would be PSG. Whilst we're having a poor season, you're not that much further ahead than us.

2. He said in no uncertain terms "if Newcastle show the ambition i will stay here for a long time". We've just signed half the French national team. The lad genuinely loves it up here because we were the first club to actually put faith in him and let him play as he wants. He's said it hundreds of times but that gets ignored by the lazy journo's out there.

3. The Carroll part of the deal is surely a non-starter. Newcastle fans in general now despise him - More for that awful dive against his 'beloved' club than anything else. He's an out-and-out target man - Not the kind of players we're looking at presently.

There would be more of a protest at this deal outside St James' than when Ashley renamed the stadium.

Just all in all, the deal makes no sense and as someone else said a winger is not going to be your priority this summer.

I've lost count at the amount of 'in the know' guys and 'good sources' that were massively wrong during January.

As far as Ben Arfa goes though, he is a brilliant player. He's right up there with the very best technically but he can be inconsistent. I think that's probably why a club like PSG or Chelsea haven't came in with a £20m offer. Actually scratch that, if Downing is worth £20m you're paying a lot more for Ben Arfa.

He has a knack in games where it's not going our way to try and do it all himself and he's said as much himself. It either goes brilliantly and he bags and sets up a couple of goals or he goes missing and you barely see him.

He is capable of the absolutely brilliant no doubt. The inconsistency like i said though has probably put top sides off.

I'm very curious to see how we do when him and Tiote come back though.

Hatem has said himself though that Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal all enquired about him in the summer but he turned down any approaches as he wants to stay here and as i said above he talked about if we show the ambition he'll stay.

Really? I agree about defenders but the number of top class goalkeepers astounds me' date=' especially in the Premier League.

Players like Krul, Begovic, Mignolet, Vorm, Cesar even Al Habsi, Foster are all very good and playing outside the elite teams this season.

Then in Germany there's a production line as well.[/quote']

I would disagree with your analysis on the keepers bar Cesar and possibly Begovic who may become I dont think any of those you mention are anywhere near top-class IMO.

Good possibly anywhere near top-class na not for me.

If you look at the keepers in Germany outside the top two who dominate that league I think the likes of Adler, Ter-Stegen, Trapp, Zieler, Leno are a better quality of keeper for me. I dont profess to see them every week but see quite a few German games on ESPN and they always impress me.

Fabio Borini's goal for Italy U21s proved decisive as the young Italians clinched a 1-0 friendly victory over Germany on Wednesday night.
Good lad. Hope it tuned up for club performance! :)
Liverpool are hopeful Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling will be fit to face West Bromwich Albion at Anfield on Monday night, according to first-team coach Mike Marsh.

The pair were forced to withdraw from international duty with the England senior and U21 sides respectively this week due to injuries.

Sturridge sustained a thigh complaint against Manchester City on Sunday, while Sterling has been suffering from a dead leg.

I'm expecting no less than miracle recovery. :P

You guys need to be in the Champion league to even have a chance at cabaye ur loco lol

Like he going to leave us just after he gets two of his mates at Newcastle...

He leave for a bigger club sorry not Liverpool.

Hatem cant see that happening also.

Both these players are Valued at around 20m cant see you spending that again

You guys need to be in the Champion league to even have a chance at cabaye ur loco lol

Like he going to leave us just after he gets two of his mates at Newcastle...

He leave for a bigger club sorry not Liverpool.

Hatem cant see that happening also.

Both these players are Valued at around 20m cant see you spending that again

I agree we wont get them, however LFC are a MUCH bigger club than Newcastle I'm afraid even now while we are not doing so great, wasn't that long ago you was in the Championship.

Even now, we are going through a massive transition phase, our worst start to the season in over 100 years and you guys are supposed to be kicking on from last season with all your great signings... yet look at the table.

I agree we wont get them' date=' however LFC are a MUCH bigger club than Newcastle I'm afraid even now while we are not doing so great, wasn't that long ago you was in the Championship.

Even now, we are going through a massive transition phase, our worst start to the season in over 100 years and you guys are supposed to be kicking on from last season with all your great signings... yet look at the table.[/quote']

Sorry am not stating your not a huge club you are.

If you watch Cabaye week in week out you know just how good he is. If he leave he leave for a club which has a chance of winning the league.

He be Newcastle Captain next season once sideshow goes back to his homeland

Sorry am not stating your not a huge club you are.

If you watch Cabaye week in week out you know just how good he is. If he leave he leave for a club which has a chance of winning the league.

He be Newcastle Captain next season once sideshow goes back to his homeland

Yeah I fully agree with what you said in your previous post, I just mis-read that 1 line it seams.

I thought you meant he wont leave Newcastle for LFC because LFC are no longer a bigger club than Newcastle.

But yeah I agree it's not worth him moving unless it's to a club that either has a chance of winning the title OR has CL football every year.

When he (or any of the others) do leave tho, least you get to view there tallent for a cpl years, make an amazing profit on them, then if your scouts / transfer team keep up the work replace them with another 'future prospect'

It's a great way to do things imo.

Cabaye might be over the top since he just brought all his friend from France to play with him, would be amusing if he want to leave in this upcoming season.

As for Ben Arfa, if we can offer him more wages than Newcastle, we might get him, as the player already hinted to play for PSG, well, doesn't take much to figured what he actually want.

But also, would like to see where Newcastle end up in the last match of the season, because I believe that would changes a whole lot of things. No disrespect, but second season syndrome hit Pardew real hard this time.

As for the goalkeeper, how much I like a old goalkeeper in our post (Adler and Kameni), it would be much unlikely if FSG still stick to his youth and resale value policy. More likely we gonna end up with young goalkeeper if Reina go. Might also go for Mignolet or Fraser Forster, not sure if the later is real good, but he have huge build for goalkeeper, looks convincing enough in the goalpost.

Carragher's retiring at the end of the season.

A great servant to the club but the timing is a bit odd, he was our best player against Arsenal. Hope he stays on in the back room.

EDIT: Im sure my room and my computer is bugged by Sky Sports, Phil Thompson has almost said word-for-word what I said.

Had my doubt about him still being able to compete at the top level, but the past two games have proved he is still more than capable of doing that. Legend without doubt, and yes I agree and hope he will stay on in a coaching role, would be great for him to part take there and help the youngsters develop, he could do wonders for Wisdom & Kelly.