ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

What a sad, sad day.

Jamie Carragher will go down as one of the true greats in LFC'S history IMO.

How could a lad who grew up as a bluenose, turn out to be a Liverpool legend. I remember the day he made his debut at home to Villa and scored (something which we didnt see to often!) a fresh faced teenager who made his beginning as a holding midfielder.

It was under Gerard Houllier where he really started to come of age, used as a defender and his versitility to play in all defensive roles with fantastic play and brilliant at everything he did, playing a leading role in the treble side and scoring a memorable penalty against Birmingham in the Coca-Cola Cup final.

When he switched to CB was when he really came of age. His partnership with Sami Hyppia was truely magnificent and his reading of the game, tenacity, will to win, just sheer out and out brilliance at defending was a skill which is undervalued but equally as important.

I dont think it is OTT to say that between 2004-2008 Carra was an absolute monster and quite arguably the best CB in the world. His performances both at home and especially in Europe was at there peak and he wa keeping world-class strikers at bay with an ease which is hard to fathom. Never the quickest but his reading of the game meant he didnt need to be.

If one game sums Carra up it would have to be Istanbul, despite cramping up he played through the pain barrier time after time repelling the might of Shevchenko, Kaka and all with last ditch tackles, a never-say die attitude, sheer force and will to win, but that was Carra he would literally give everything for this club, he understood what it meant to the fans, truely understood.

Loads of other games were special Chelsea at home in The Champions League semi in 2005 is a personal favourite, but his influence and legacy for this football club cannot be unerestimated.

As well as being a truely brilliant professional, a role model and somebody who everybody in football respects he can look at himself in the Mirror and give himself a proper pat on the back. Even now at the age of 35 he is still more than capable of playing at the top level and you only need to see his recent displays.

The hole he will leave in this club is massive. Not just his ability, but his leadership and influence in the dressing room and the way he leads and marshalls the side on the pitch can not be replaced.

The word Legend is overused but Carra is one of those who truely deserves it approaching 700 appearences, 20+ years of service at the club and what he has given to the club, fans, players.

Carra you truely are a legend and will be missed immensely. As a fan seeing the commitment, energy, drive to succeed if this club really did have a "Team Of Carraghers" as is sung from the terraces we wouldnt go far wrong, but it wont happen he is one of a kind.

What a sad' date=' sad day.

Jamie Carragher will go down as one of the true greats in LFC'S history IMO.

[b']How could a lad who grew up as a bluenose, turn out to be a Liverpool legend. [/b] I remember the day he made his debut at home to Villa and scored (something which we didnt see to often!) a fresh faced teenager who made his beginning as a holding midfielder.

Fowler?:P:eek:

It's actually ruined my day to see Carragher retire, start of the season I wouldn't have minded but the past few weeks hes shown what an asset he really was and I'm truly gutted to see him retire. Hope he stays on as a coach, you never know maybe a future manager at some point, don't think anyone reads the game like him.

Thankyou Carragher

Guess this means we need a couple of centre backs in summer and one of them needs experience, who do you think we'll get?

absolutely gutted to hear about Carra

one of my idols, a true professional and role model to any young footballer...hopefully his lad can follow in his footsteps!

i always held him in high regard, yes Ray i do also think he was up there with the best around 2004-08, but was truly underrated by everyone else...shame he was overlooked for England, didnt win near enough caps.

Hopefully he stays connected to the club in some capacity, he has all the nous to be a manager one day.

;2448895']absolutely gutted to hear about Carra

one of my idols' date=' a true professional and role model to any young footballer...hopefully his lad can follow in his footsteps!

i always held him in high regard, yes Ray i do also think he was up there with the best around 2004-08, but was truly underrated by everyone else...shame he was overlooked for England, didnt win near enough caps.

Hopefully he stays connected to the club in some capacity, he has all the nous to be a manager one day.[/quote']

I think a spell in the Media awaits, he was actually very good on ITV during the Euro's and brought a different view rather than the bland dullness of the likes of Dixon and Southgate.

Wouldnt be surprised if he is given some sort of role within the club and rightly so, you dont lose that experience, knowledge which could be passed on to the younger breed especially the defenders and what better teacher/role model to have.

Definete Management material as well, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of football, players etc and has the personality and charchter to be a real success, I can easily see him being a Liverpool manager one day.

I think a spell in the Media awaits' date=' he was actually very good on ITV during the Euro's and brought a different view rather than the bland dullness of the likes of Dixon and Southgate.

Wouldnt be surprised if he is given some sort of role within the club and rightly so, you dont lose that experience, knowledge which could be passed on to the younger breed especially the defenders and what better teacher/role model to have.

Definete Management material as well, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of football, players etc and has the personality and charchter to be a real success, I can easily see him being a Liverpool manager one day.[/quote']

They'd have to put the subtitles on :P

If you guys could create a team only using Liverpool players from your own 'era' would who it be?

Might be fun to put your best one together and also do one with your worst :P

...no using crazy 1-4-5 formations to suit the players you want ;)

If you guys could create a team only using Liverpool players from your own 'era' would who it be?

Might be fun to put your best one together and also do one with your worst :P

...no using crazy 1-4-5 formations to suit the players you want ;)

Dudek

Aurelio

Hyypia

Carragher

Arbeloa

Berger

Smicer

Alonso

Gerrard

Garcia

Owen

First few names which came to mind. Loved watching Berger play and some of the goals he scored were truly outstanding. Had a bit of a soft spot for Smicer thats why he's in. Honourable mentions include Neil Mellor, Didi Hamaan and Steve Finnan.

Best Team of my era

Dudek

Riise -- Hyypia -- Carragher -- Finnan

Hamman -- Alonso

Gerrard

Luis Garcia -- Owen -- Suarez

Honerable mentions to; Johnson, Torres, Reina, Kuyt, Arbeloa, Mascherano and of course Heskey

My Worst Team of my era

Itandje

Abel Xavier -- Kippe -- Djimi Traore -- Konchesky

Diao -- Poulsen

Bruno Cheryou

Nunez -- Meijer -- Diouf

I know Traore was a LB but I had to fit him and Konchesky in there and I couldn't think of any other Centre backs apart from King of Hoof Kippe. To be fair to Xavier he scored that goal on his debut :P. Remember Cheryou the next Zidane and Meijer who never scored and then went on loan to PNE and didn't score, as for Diouf and Nunez they were embarrassingly bad. Reading up on a lot of players who've failed seemed like Houllier had an eye for French flops.

That team gives me shivers.

My favourite team would be:

Reina

johnson carragher agger riise

alonso mascherano

gerrard

suarez garcia

torres

Subs:

lucas, aurelio, crouch, finnan, owen, kuyt

I will always love torres even though he left and I can imagine he probably wishes he hadnt left even with the trophies he has won. Really wish we'd been able to see torres and suarez in the same side like what was supposed to happen :(

My favourite team would be:

Reina

johnson carragher agger riise

alonso mascherano

gerrard

suarez garcia

torres

Subs:

lucas' date=' aurelio, crouch, finnan, owen, kuyt

I will always love torres even though he left and I can imagine he probably wishes he hadnt left even with the trophies he has won. Really wish we'd been able to see torres and suarez in the same side like what was supposed to happen :([/quote']

This is what my team will look like too.Really like Garcia,he adds something different to the team,i think no one has ever offered what he offered since he left. Finnan should be given credit too. He has claimed the right back position his own before Arbeloa came. Same mind with me re Torres too. Always love him and always will be and i wouldn't mind to see him on Liverpool shirt again. I'm sure he still has Liverpool in his heart. Also like Crouch during his stint, i thought his playing style give us another way of attack

Nobody adds McManaman? :eek:

Contrary to belief McManaman wasn't anything special and certainly wasn't better than the other midfielders we've had in our era's. As well as that he was a massive douche to the club regarding his transfer.

This is what my team will look like too.Really like Garcia' date='he adds something different to the team,i think no one has ever offered what he offered since he left. Finnan should be given credit too. He has claimed the right back position his own before Arbeloa came. Same mind with me re Torres too. Always love him and always will be and i wouldn't mind to see him on Liverpool shirt again. I'm sure he still has Liverpool in his heart. Also like Crouch during his stint, i thought his playing style give us another way of attack[/quote']

well great minds think alike ;)

Another player commit for long term' date='

[img']http://assets2.lfcimages.com/uploads/kellyayre412.jpg[/img]

Hope he can get back to his form before injuries.

Thought they'd have waited until he did recover his form to offer him a new contract.

Suppose this will give him the motivation to push on.