ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Avoided the thread last night as tensions were running high so I'll voice my opinion now.

I dont know how Brendan Rodgers can praise the players after that. I put that on a par with Woy Hodgson saying that a narrow win over Bolton was the best result of the season, and that we did well in a loss to Everton. Not one player would I give above a 5/10. I think the Seeing is Believing sponsor is a curse, we've missed two penalties when it's been on the shirt. The changes came too late and I think the wrong players were taken off, Henderson while not being brilliant was certainly doing better than Downing. Remember Downing was facing a make-shift left back in Ridgewell and he managed to make Ridgewell look good. Suarez has been off-colour for a while now, but it has been masked by Sturridge's stellar performances. Johnson and Enrique were woeful, Johnson especially when one on one with Ridgewell. He dallied about with it doing all fancy shimmys and stepovers then wastes possession.

He's also correct tho :(
I don't like Sterling. I like Ibe better. :)

I'm surprised. Why don't you rate Sterling that highly? I think it was expected that after a couple of decent performances his level was only going to drop. No 17yo can come and play in the premier league week in week out on a good level. He did his best' date=' never went hiding, and now having had a rest from the starting lineup he's impressed in his last two sub appearances. He's only 18, who knows what level he's going to be, and I'm a bit surprised that Liverpool fans of all don't think he's going to be a top player. Rodgers needs to be careful with him, I think sub appearances only for the rest of the season (maybe starts in Europa) will do a world of good for his development. My hopes for him aren't any lower than they were at the start of the season.

It might be a tongue-in-cheek comment because of the smiley, but Vendetta, what happens when Ibe gets his chance and doesn't instantly play like Messi?

The changes came too late and I think the wrong players were taken off, Henderson while not being brilliant was certainly doing better than Downing. Remember Downing was facing a make-shift left back in Ridgewell and he managed to make Ridgewell look good.

I think Downing was one of our better players. Henderson had an okay game but I accepted him being subbed because we wanted to be more offensive.

People wanted Sterling in the team and now he's there they want Ibe. We carry on being average and people will want Sinclair in the team and not Ibe.

Would like to see all of them in the team, and playing well in a few years. real prospects and good to see at Liverpool Would get Coady and Mclaughlin in sooner rather than later too.

It might be a tongue-in-cheek comment because of the smiley' date=' but Vendetta, what happens when Ibe gets his chance and doesn't instantly play like Messi?[/quote']

I don't know if yours or mine being more sarcastic. You are really something if you think all player can turned into Messi, do you know that? :rolleyes::P

I have nothing against Sterling really, I'm happy for him since it was our future player. I just stated my preferences, that's all. ;)

oh' date=' well this is a bit awkward... ;)[/quote']

And I MAY have mentioned that Downing missed his penalty when Liverpool last wore the charity shirt and that Gerrard has gone left everytime this season and might switch it up.

People wanted Sterling in the team and now he's there they want Ibe. We carry on being average and people will want Sinclair in the team and not Ibe.

I don't know if others have said something about Ibe too, but as far as I'm concerned I never said I want to see Ibe starting for team. I just stated my preferences. :)

If that comment is not a flame towards me, I apologies, but to assumed something like that, from a simple comment like that, is quite shortsighted.

I don't know if yours or mine being more sarcastic. You are really something if you think all player can turned into Messi' date=' do you know that? :rolleyes::P

I have nothing against Sterling really, I'm happy for him since it was our future player. I just stated my preferences, that's all. ;)[/quote']

Well obviously I was being sarcastic about Messi, but I was just trying to make a point: It's ridiculous to expect a player at 17, as a winger in the premier league, to have a major impact or be a stand-out player for the team. If Ibe makes his debut at 17 too, do you expect him to do better than Sterling? I doubt it mate.

Would like to see all of them in the team' date=' and playing well in a few years. real prospects and good to see at Liverpool Would get Coady and Mclaughlin in sooner rather than later too.[/quote']

Whenever there is a defeat, the players who arent in the team seem to magically in most supporters eyes become better overnight.

The reality is Ibe and Mclaughlin are nowhere near ready for the first team, Mclaughlin is probably more advanced IMO in his development buit Ibe is rightly nowhere near at this point.

The thing with all of these players they may look to have great potential but you only really see the measure of them when they start to play at a proper level ie: seniors.

It was just one of those nights last night, the performance really was not that bad when you analyse it certainly was nowhere near the level of some of thee really bad performances this season (Villa, Oldham, Stoke etc).

Well obviously I was being sarcastic about Messi' date=' but I was just trying to make a point: It's ridiculous to expect a player at 17, as a winger in the premier league, to have a major impact or be a stand-out player for the team. If Ibe makes his debut at 17 too, do you expect him to do better than Sterling? I doubt it mate.[/quote']

Since he never got that chances, I must say, that would be mysterious. I get your point about youngster can't make major impact, and I agree with that. Would be stupid if I say otherwise. All I'm saying is "I like Ibe", never said he will be better than Sterling or something like that. Just stating my preferences on the current crop of youngster we got. Like last time we had a debate on Kelly being Liverpool right back defender in the next few years, and I don't want him there, it is about player preferences. That's all.

It is funny to see all the commotion from the simple comment like this;

I don't like Sterling. I like Ibe better. :)
Rather than,
Sterling is world class in the making.

I don't know if others have said something about Ibe too' date=' but as far as I'm concerned I never said I want to see Ibe starting for team. I just stated my preferences. :)

If that comment is not a flame towards me, I apologies, but to assumed something like that, from a simple comment like that, is quite shortsighted.[/quote']

No it was aimed directly at you, though it may have been a post by you which made me think of it.

Not read here much lately, but heard a lot of people online, and offline, saying x player isn't good enough, should bring some youth in.... etc.

AS Ray said, the easiest thing to do after a defeat is to say that the personnel should be changed. It's not always the answer, and there's a balance somewhere.

Whenever there is a defeat' date=' the players who arent in the team seem to magically in most supporters eyes become better overnight.

The reality is Ibe and Mclaughlin are nowhere near ready for the first team, Mclaughlin is probably more advanced IMO in his development buit Ibe is rightly nowhere near at this point.

The thing with all of these players they may look to have great potential but you only really see the measure of them when they start to play at a proper level ie: seniors.

It was just one of those nights last night, the performance really was not that bad when you analyse it certainly was nowhere near the level of some of thee really bad performances this season (Villa, Oldham, Stoke etc).[/quote']I'd hope to see Ibe and Mclaughlin in the squad next season, as we've seen Suso in it this season. Maybe not to the extent Wisdom and Sterling have played, as i think they've probably played a bit too much but circumstances have dictated that.

Start using some of these apparently promising centre backs as actual centre backs, and bring in a natural full back like McLaughlin as a backup for Johnson.

AS Ray said' date=' the easiest thing to do after a defeat is to say that the personnel should be changed. It's not always the answer, and there's a balance somewhere.[/quote']

I can ensure you that my point of that comment was not because of the WBA match. It was more like response to the discussion about Sterling after that, which you can see in the few pages back.

I don't know why Ibe and Sterling are being compared tbh, sterling is a better player now and was a better player at his age. Ibe is in between the u18s and u21s at 17 whereas Sterling was inbetween the reserves and first team at 17.

I guarantee you will beat a team above you in the league before the end of the season. You will beat Everton at Anfield.

Actually, i could vision Moyes' first win at Anfield for nearly 12 years, as Everton may posssibly win 1-2!!! I can see them hanging on is well.

Liverpool are no where near the talents of Everton, simply because Everton do not employ some silly Buy British-only regime, and they have solid players like Mirallas, Fellaini, Anichebe, Coleman,Howard etc etc etc!!! They should also have Leroy Fer right now, who i rate very highly, he's Stevey Mclarens main man for getting them into the top 2 and champions league places!!

I wish Moyes or Wenger joined Der Bundesliga - they would be treated like royalty, with much higher cash reserves, in a rising star of a liga!!!:):P:p;)

Also I'm not saying Sterling is bad but I think he will get to a level similar to Lennon' date=' a good standard premier league player.[/quote']

If you compare Lennon and Raheem's statistics in the league this season, theres not much between the two. The Raheem on 2k a week showed enough potential to suggest he can be one of the best in the world if he keeps adding different dimensions to his game, what separates him from 'normal' wingers is his intelligence with and with out the ball, vision, exceptional ball control, and hes already a decent finisher, albeit an inconsistent one, many will say he got his England debut too early, but he was heavily involved in both the goals so did himself no harm there. After his contract extension, his performances have dropped off massively, tiredness is a major factor in that, and he needs to be rested. Im sure Pearce is expecting him to join up with the England U21 squad in the summer.

Not of Eriksen's quality but good ones. And I don't think Tiote is a box-to-box midfielder and Diame isn't all that great defensively. To me a box-to-box midfielder is someone with the energy to get near the opposition box when attacking and come help the back-four when defending' date=' while actually having the quality to do both the defending and attacking. Players like that are very, very rare. They're almost always lacking in passing ability (or creativity/vision) or they're not good enough tacklers or physical enough.[/quote']

Exactly my point, not many of Eriksens quality are out there, and if you want to be competing with the manchester clubs, you need to be signing the players in the top bracket.

Yes maybe i did misunderstand i admit, theres plenty of physical 6ft+ DM's out there, but only a select few have the technical ability to go with their play and ability to join the attack, Yahya Toure is probably the best out there at this moment of time.

Watched the U21's in action, lost 1-0 v spurs with Adorjan missing a couple of sitters. Suso isnt even played in his preferred position in the reserves, he must be feeling really frustrated, not at all liking the way hes being developed at the club. He's too talented to be wasted away like Pacheco, but the way things are going i can see him starting to grow unhappy, he really needs to find himself a club to go on loan in the summer. Also, at 17, Raheem was twice the player Ibe is.

Shelvey lashed out at Liverpool fans on Twitter who criticised his poor performance against West Brom. In stark comparison, Dan Agger went to Twitter to apologise for his performance in the last ten minutes. I know Shelvey is young, but he needs to man up. If he cant take criticism then football isnt your game.

Shelvey lashed out at Liverpool fans on Twitter who criticised his poor performance against West Brom. In stark comparison' date=' Dan Agger went to Twitter to apologise for his performance in the last ten minutes. I know Shelvey is young, but he needs to man up. If he cant take criticism then football isnt your game.[/quote']

Not the first time either....

After the Stoke game he claimed he was being made the scapegoat for the defeat which in itself was not true as all the players were awful.

Simple fact is his recent performances have been poor and he needs to face up to that, train hard and as you say man up.

At least Agger had the guts to admit to his mistakes and a dismal display, supporters will respect players eho talk openly and honestly.

Just seems to be Jonjo is feeling sorry for himself when his performance level in no way justifies a place in the line-up and possibly even the bench (I personally would feel better with Suso starting in the role he did on Monday as I think he has more quality and is better at influencing games especially at home)

After the Stoke game he claimed he was being made the scapegoat for the defeat which in itself was not true as all the players were awful.

Simple fact is his recent performances have been poor and he needs to face up to that' date=' train hard and as you say man up.

At least Agger had the guts to admit to his mistakes and a dismal display, supporters will respect players eho talk openly and honestly.

Just seems to be Jonjo is feeling sorry for himself when his performance level in no way justifies a place in the line-up and possibly even the bench (I personally would feel better with Suso starting in the role he did on Monday as I think he has more quality and is better at influencing games especially at home)[/quote']

Same. The amount of times Shelvey was offside was insane, almost as if he didnt know the rule. Who was playing on the left flank, Hendo or Suarez?

Same. The amount of times Shelvey was offside was insane' date=' almost as if he didnt know the rule. Who was playing on the left flank, Hendo or Suarez?[/quote']

Well nominally Hendo but kinda tucked in same as against Arsenal and City. Not a natural role by any means but I thought he played well enough and in comparison to some others he done ok.

Be fair his performances have been very decent the last few months, same with Downing who again was decent enough on Monday put in a lot of decent delivery but the lack of numbers in the box especially first half was dissapointing.

Anyhow cant see Shelvey starting in the near future in the PL would certainly be very surprising just is not offering anything at present.

Simple fact is his recent performances have been poor and he needs to face up to that' date=' train hard and as you say man up.

Just seems to be Jonjo is feeling sorry for himself when his performance level in no way justifies a place in the line-up and possibly even the bench (I personally would feel better with Suso starting in the role he did on Monday as I think he has more quality and is better at influencing games especially at home)[/quote']I commented to someone on Twitter the other day that the best players admit their mistakes and know when they've played badly, and the others will just make excuses.

Seems like a good case for that here.

Shelvey seems like a decent player to me, but sometimes just doesn't look mobile or agile enough to compliment his skill.