ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Laughable that anybody can talk about cutting edge, that problem ended ages ago, it's pretty obvious that our defence is pathetic, the fact that form wise our best centre back is retiring at the end of the season is pitiful. Agger's off the boil right now making mistakes he didn't before can only think it's a confidence thing, Skrtel's been absolutely pitiful for a few months now (I never rated him but I won't put my opinion in) again must be a confidence thing or the fact that there is actual behind the scene problems as reported. Another problem is that Enrique and Johnson are just way too attacking and are caught up the field way too often, happened a lot today against Zenit and has been happening constantly, we've been making way too many individual error's costing us points constantly and most are coming from the Goalkeeper and Defence. A lot of off form players right now as well isn't helping, Skrtel/Agger/Shelvey/Sterling/Coates. Wouldn't mind Suso getting a run again and I think Sterling needs a big break looks really burnt out to me, has great potential and people need to remember that he's learning his trade, when we improve he will. Still think we should give Assaidi a game, he's not even played in the league yet, he may not be top class but he could do a job.

Need at least 2 centre backs in the summer with Carragher leaving (Dear God keep him as a defensive coach) and Coates likely to go it's pivotal we bring in some defenders. Could do with a left back as well as we have no real back upto Enrique. Even with how good Reina was today (Yes a compliment) I still think we need a keeper.

Summer List

- Goalkeeper

- Centre Back x 2

- Left Back

- Winger

2 goal lead thrown away at Arsenal' date='2 goals also at City and in the lead ,how many goals do you need to score at these big grounds before you have a cutting edge ,:rolleyes:

surely the root at the moment is our comic book defensive errors which is the other end of the pitch .:)[/quote']

OK, you have a cutting edge when you have Sturridge ;) The defensive errors need to go but from what I hear, you should have been a couple up before Zenit scored tonight. Same with WBA at the weekend.

OK' date=' you have a cutting edge when you have Sturridge ;) The defensive errors need to go but from what I hear, you should have been a couple up before Zenit scored tonight. Same with WBA at the weekend.[/quote']

Zenit should have been about 2 up before we had a chance to score, Reina came to the rescue. Zenit also hit the post before a chunk of our chances.

Well done Reina a big slap on the back .

Couple more great saves tonight ,but will still not get the " need a new goalkeeper brigade of his back ".

Seen plenty of posts berating his errors costing us games ,but none when keeping us in or winning games .

Tonight his saves if Suarez had not had an off night would have won us the game .

"Hang on what am i thinking about" Suarez if he had taken at least 2 of the easy chances then your plaudits would be for him ,Reina as a Gk is only doing his job .

Gobbly **** and poppy **** .:P

I have been enlightened on this thread by posters that in the last two seasons Reina has made errors ,yet in both seasons you can count them on one hand .

Glad you guys did not have Grobbelar in goal while you been supporting the reds .

Nobody made more errors than Grobbelar ,but he also made world class saves like Reina still does .

He lasted 13 yrs and 3 managers for all his errors ( Paisley ,Fagan and Dalglish yet we won with him making all these errors 6 titles,3 FA Cups and 3 league cups ,one European cup and one Super cup).

Difference between Grobbelar and Reina is the other 10 outfielders .

Grobbs had no nonsence defenders in front of him ,except for Carragher in the last 3 games showing what a DEFENDER is supposed to do ,without him playing in most games this season Reina has also not had a full support from his back men ,they also have had plenty of "mares" .

In the last 2 yrs we have had 3 manager changes ,no thought given to what effect this may have played .

Take this season alone under Rodgers ,all the team at the back has suffered because he likes them to pass it around and keep possesion ,not just lump it up ,well Reina now has more added responsible duties because of this ,why it is causing a lot of errors when defenders get closed down quickly .

Noticed Carragher though will just lump it up or kick it into row Z if no other option ,not try and pass it back to Reina or to another player to put him in trouble ,you can reset defence again from a throwing and if you punt it far enough out of danger up pitch . Wonder if Rodgers knew his Defensive way is why Carra has not played many matches because you can not say that Agger and Skrytel have been that ammazing that they have kept him out .

Nope their displays forced his hand and why Carra should of played more and i hope the other CB have learnt something from the master ,and Rodgers as well because sometimes more than not you need it Carras way .

Goals not only win games they also help take the pressure of at the back and this season plenty of matches have not hit this scenario going into the last 10 minutes .

That was Grobbs get out clause with his errors, the other end did the buisness and finished games of ,we are not .:)

Reina had one of his best games for a while last night but when asked the question do you trust him the answer is a resounding no for the overwhelming majority of Liverpool fans. That's his problem atm, he makes a few good saves then drops a clanger. The one where they hit the post last night should of been a relatively comfortable save and he completely missed it.

I've never been a huge Johnson fan but he has been tremendous this season bar Monday night against West Brom. Don't think there's a better RB going forward in the league but he does switch off and I'd rather my RB be solid defensively than great going forward. Enrique is a pure beast, so quick off the mark it's rare u see him get done 1 on 1 but when u play him in a system without an out an out left sided player and ask him to bomb on it's inevitable he's going to get caught out of position from time to time.

Early days but I'd already class Sturridge as a massive player for us. Without him we just don't get anyone up running beyond Suarez which leaves the little man a mountain to climb all on his own. Would also love to see either Carroll come back at the end of the season or a striker of his mold come in. There are certain games for me where a target man is essential in the Prem, when teams park the bus we seem to struggle so need the so called 'Plan B'.

I'd personally like to see us line up 4231 atm:

Sturridge

Downing Suarez Gerrard

Lucas Hendo

Enrique Agger Carra Johnson

Reina

Suarez should have a had a few last night after my MOM Reina kept us in it early on.

We're playing high pressing football in midfield, but with a deep(ish) defensive line, and it's not working. Why would it with all that space between defence and midfield?

Reina had one of his best games for a while last night but when asked the question do you trust him the answer is a resounding no for the overwhelming majority of Liverpool fans. That's his problem atm' date=' he makes a few good saves then drops a clanger. The one where they hit the post last night should of been a relatively comfortable save and he completely missed it.

I've never been a huge Johnson fan but he has been tremendous this season bar Monday night against West Brom. Don't think there's a better RB going forward in the league but he does switch off and I'd rather my RB be solid defensively than great going forward. Enrique is a pure beast, so quick off the mark it's rare u see him get done 1 on 1 but when u play him in a system without an out an out left sided player and ask him to bomb on it's inevitable he's going to get caught out of position from time to time.

Early days but I'd already class Sturridge as a massive player for us. Without him we just don't get anyone up running beyond Suarez which leaves the little man a mountain to climb all on his own. Would also love to see either Carroll come back at the end of the season or a striker of his mold come in. There are certain games for me where a target man is essential in the Prem, when teams park the bus we seem to struggle so need the so called 'Plan B'.

I'd personally like to see us line up 4231 atm:

[center']Sturridge

Downing Suarez Gerrard

Lucas Hendo

Enrique Agger Carra Johnson

Reina[/center]

In a 433, you need your wide attackers to be dynamic in their play switching positions frequently and cutting inside to provide support in the box, players like Hulk, Pedro, JR, Lamela, typical wide attackers playing in a 433 of the top of my head, regularly chip in with goals and assists, whilst Downing is a good player, hes more of a 442 winger rather than a wide forward, almost useless then in a 433 because were only playing 1 centrally. Other options are Borini, Coutinho, Assaidi, Raheem, Raheem obviously has looked well off the pace recently, so if BR is to continue with a 433(which he most likely will), he needs to give Borini a starting place alongside Suarez and Sturridge, his game has the capacity to score goals, a typical wide foward, his best form for Roma came last season playing from the left and cutting inside to score, thats the first immediate change imo that needs to take place.

In the summer, another option in the market could be Alhassane Bangoura from Rayo, really excelled this season playing from the right, Rayo are flying high this season and hes one of the main reasons.

Downing along with Carroll sold in the summer please, if Carroll doesnt fit in the "system", then i dont see how Stu does, should be able to get in atleast 20mp for the two, which is around 24ME, enough to bring in either one real talent such as JR/Eriksen/Lamela (hopeful signings), or atleast two very good European imports.

been so livid with the Zenit game just havent been able to comment....

the thing everyone has missed is Zenit havent played a competitive game since 9th December............we should of wiped the floor with them.

i had tickets to the home leg but ive given them up. Not coming all the way up to be disappointed....

not looking forward to the Swansea game at all at the moment..

on a brighter side, the youth lads came down to my neck of the woods to play Histon in the FA Youth Cup...mate of mine went to the game, and although the pitch was shocking, we won 4-0, and he singled out Ibe, Sinclair & Kris Petterson as highlights!

;2460680']been so livid with the Zenit game just havent been able to comment....

the thing everyone has missed is Zenit havent played a competitive game since 9th December............we should of wiped the floor with them.

i had tickets to the home leg but ive given them up. Not coming all the way up to be disappointed....

not looking forward to the Swansea game at all at the moment..

on a brighter side' date=' the youth lads came down to my neck of the woods to play Histon in the FA Youth Cup...mate of mine went to the game, and although the pitch was shocking, we won 4-0, and he singled out Ibe, Sinclair & Kris Petterson as highlights![/quote']

I watched the match on lfctv. Th pitch really was awful but we still played really well, I like our side a lot, we've got quality throughout the team. Itll be interesting to see who actually makes it as they all seem to have real quality. I could see up to 8 of those players playing for the first team one day but realistically only a few will. I think Sinclair, McLaughlin and Ibe will definately, can see lussey and dunn playing one day as well

http://thinkinglfc.simdif.com/thinkinglfcs_blog.html

What I think we should do with the defence.

I think we might need to bring in an experienced CB' date=' don't think Kelly is yet ready to be no.1 but basically what I say is use Kelly and Wisdom as CB and buy fullbacks.[/quote']

Nice write up, always puzzled me why Kelly wasn't given more opportunities to play CB. Surely the Capital One Cup was the perfect time to bring him in. Hopefully he'll start to get a chance in the near future. I do agree tho that we could use a Gary McAllister esc signing once Carra goes just to help the younger lads along.

I said something at the start of the season along the lines of -

Under Rodgers you'll either instantly click and take off or youl get dragged down into 'mid table' obscurity for this season, seems the latter is right currently.

It is a genuine shame to see one of the genuine great teams struggling so badly in recent years, you have fallen a long way since rubbing shoulders with the champions league elite under Rafa.

It does tend to be the same old story for you boys though, the West Brom game being a massive example, dominating the match, shot after shot, but no end product and getting hit on the break from a momentary lapse. I think the last two games with Sturridge has highlighted how important he is to you guys already. I like to hope youl turn it around and get back to challanging for trophies but clearly changes need to be made.

Theres only so many times Rodgers can praise work ethic and determination while comming away with no points. I think you guys are quite like my beloved Cardiff... oodles of expectation and pressure to acheive things despite not having massive resources and if its not acheived people deem it a massive fail and demand changes.

You do need to keep the faith with Rodgers for now though (even though he managed the Jacks) sustainability and long term plans are what get you places nowadays no chopping and changing and throwing millions of pounds at things, clever additions to the team and keeping the faith its a means to an end.. thats what ive told myself at Cardiff for years and it may finally be paying off :P

Got to agree with Paul Merson, although I like Williams and on form right now he's one of the best in the league, if Rodgers wants to keep bringing in Swansea players for Inflated fee's he should of just stayed at Swansea, if Rodgers keeps going for players he's worked with we are going to struggle, we have plenty of scouts its time to bring in some foreign talent like before, Alonso/Garcia/Suarez/Reina/Dudek/Kuyt/Hyypia/Riise/Hamman all foreign imports that worked out brilliantly for us (I know we had some flops but the prices were nothing for them) Most of these foreign players have done more for the club than our English players (Bar Gerrard/Carragher) I think this season is a write off already and i'm not happy about that, i'm expecting to get beat by Swansea tonight because when we expect to win we get beat.

If Rodgers believes Williams is a good enough replacement for Carragher then he's wrong, if we can get Williams cheap (Cheap being key) he will be a good addition but he'll never be in Carraghers league.

Got to agree with Paul Merson' date=' although I like Williams and on form right now he's one of the best in the league, if Rodgers wants to keep bringing in Swansea players for Inflated fee's he should of just stayed at Swansea, if Rodgers keeps going for players he's worked with we are going to struggle, we have plenty of scouts its time to bring in some foreign talent like before, Alonso/Garcia/Suarez/Reina/Dudek/Kuyt/Hyypia/Riise/Hamman all foreign imports that worked out brilliantly for us (I know we had some flops but the prices were nothing for them) Most of these foreign players have done more for the club than our English players (Bar Gerrard/Carragher) I think this season is a write off already and i'm not happy about that, i'm expecting to get beat by Swansea tonight because when we expect to win we get beat.

If Rodgers believes Williams is a good enough replacement for Carragher then he's wrong, if we can get Williams cheap (Cheap being key) he will be a good addition but he'll never be in Carraghers league.[/quote']

We expected to beat Norwich and we scored 5 goals against them both times this season:p:p

It is. an 8 point gap is manageable with the fixtures remaining. It's just a matter of putting a ball in the back of the net for us.

We've been saying stats like that all season but we never seem to get there. I dont see it happening' date=' nothing is gonna change with the players we have.

Got to agree with Paul Merson, although I like Williams and on form right now he's one of the best in the league, if Rodgers wants to keep bringing in Swansea players for Inflated fee's he should of just stayed at Swansea, if Rodgers keeps going for players he's worked with we are going to struggle, we have plenty of scouts its time to bring in some foreign talent like before, Alonso/Garcia/Suarez/Reina/Dudek/Kuyt/Hyypia/Riise/Hamman all foreign imports that worked out brilliantly for us (I know we had some flops but the prices were nothing for them) Most of these foreign players have done more for the club than our English players (Bar Gerrard/Carragher) I think this season is a write off already and i'm not happy about that, i'm expecting to get beat by Swansea tonight because when we expect to win we get beat.

If Rodgers believes Williams is a good enough replacement for Carragher then he's wrong, if we can get Williams cheap (Cheap being key) he will be a good addition but he'll never be in Carraghers league.

Does anyone expect us to win? Swansea are a good team and have a better record against us. Im expecting a Desmond.

Does anyone expect us to win? Swansea are a good team and have a better record against us. Im expecting a Desmond.

Well your definitely favourites.

I've got a feeling we'll win this one' date=' but obviously I'd be delighted if we can get something from the game.

I think we'll play this sort of a team, three more natural centre midfielders and maybe the option of playing the three wingers if that's not working. I think we'll just try and control the midfield, that will be key today.

I don't think we'll have one eye on Wembley, we're a very professional team and you can't go to a ground like Anfield not completely focused. This is still a big game for us, if we were to win this any sort of irrational relegation fears will be gone and we can look to push on and battle it out for 7th with you and West Brom after Wembley. I'm not saying we'll manage to beat you to it, but the worst that can happen in that sort of a battle would be for us to fall short and finish 9th/10th which would still be a fantastic finish for the club and seal the best season in our history.

[center']Vorm

Rangel - Bartley - Chico - Davies

Ki - Britton

Dyer - De Guzman - Routledge

Michu[/center]

Got to agree with Paul Merson' date=' although I like Williams and on form right now he's one of the best in the league, if Rodgers wants to keep bringing in Swansea players for Inflated fee's he should of just stayed at Swansea, if Rodgers keeps going for players he's worked with we are going to struggle, we have plenty of scouts its time to bring in some foreign talent like before, Alonso/Garcia/Suarez/Reina/Dudek/Kuyt/Hyypia/Riise/Hamman all foreign imports that worked out brilliantly for us (I know we had some flops but the prices were nothing for them) Most of these foreign players have done more for the club than our English players (Bar Gerrard/Carragher) I think this season is a write off already and i'm not happy about that, i'm expecting to get beat by Swansea tonight because when we expect to win we get beat.

If Rodgers believes Williams is a good enough replacement for Carragher then he's wrong, if we can get Williams cheap (Cheap being key) he will be a good addition but he'll never be in Carraghers league.[/quote']

I do agree with the majority of this, and you really do need to stop limiting yourself to our squad - your never going to get value for money buying players off us, if you want a first team player from us your going to have to pay an inflated fee.

Williams is currently a better player than Carragher though, not the Carragher from a few seasons ago granted but certainly than the current Jamie Carragher as at the moment he's undoubtedly playing better than any of your defenders are and he is good enough for you. But in order to sign him your going to have to spend over £15 million on someone who'll be 29 in August.

Well your definitely favourites.

We always are the favourites against the smaller sides for some reason even though we never consistently beat them. I wouldnt say we are the strong favourites but the bookies will probably back us.

I wouldnt say we are favourites, especially given the first team played out in Russia and all the travelling etc...

Will have a guess at today's line-up.

Reina

Johnson

Skrtel

Agger

Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard

Coutinho

Downing

Suarez

Sturridge

Think Carra may be given a rest and wouldn't be surprised if Wisdom played instead of Enrique. Think Coutinho is nailed on to start today and if Sturridge is fit obviously he will play.

I aint confident at all but I never am :P