ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

You won't go for Bent. He's been a nothing player for Villa this season so there's no way a club of much higher quality will go for him.

A nothing player because of a lack of playing time.

I recall us looking at Bent very closely prior to him going to Villa. His goalscoring record is still pretty tasty and all in the prem 150 goals in 362 games.

Likely to be very expensive for what he is tho.

You won't go for Bent. He's been a nothing player for Villa this season so there's no way a club of much higher quality will go for him.

I think Liverpool would - he has been a nothing player for Villa because he hasnt been selected - Lambert just didnt like him in his system.

He still has something to offer IMO.

I recall us looking at Bent very closely prior to him going to Villa. His goalscoring record is still pretty tasty and all in the prem 150 goals in 362 games.

Hardly he'll be cheap after this season Aston Villa would be lucky to get more than 9 or 10 million for him if even that.

Still not good enough to replace Suarez I don't want us to go anywhere near him.

Thank god we don't still have dalglish, he would have wasted that money in an instant. Still, I don't see how we'll replace Suarez, we'll probably just blow it. Feeling very pessimistic right now in case you couldn't tell

I wouldnt have an issue as such with Bent the player, and he is as strong a possibility as the next man, but I do have concerns over Bent the man. The manner in which he has left Spurs, Sundelrand and probably Villa would suggest hes a difficult man to manage.

Hardly he'll be cheap after this season Aston Villa would be lucky to get more than 9 or 10 million for him if even that.

Still not good enough to replace Suarez I don't want us to go anywhere near him.

He may not be good enough to replace Suarez, but if you get Aspas and Muriel for example aswell as Bent I think thats pretty decent.

Who from the list do you think will actually want to join you?

He's been a good goalscorer, but due to not playing he's not shown that form for a full season now. Liverpool aren't going to go for Bent when they'll have plenty of money to invest and won't want to take a risk with little resale value after 2/3 years.

Rather petulant of me but all I have to say is ha...ha...ha and oh ha again.

The bloke is a mercenary and will use any excuse to join a club where he can win honours and perhaps get a way with sinking his teeth into another opponent. He brought media attention on himself, biting twice playing for two different clubs, his diving historionics.

No doubting his ability but he is more of a loose cannon than Balotelli.

The story below is a must-read (really funny) from Craig Bellamy's autobiography about the golf club incident with Riise in Barcelona 2007.

Ginge (Riise) was a nice enough lad.

He was a bit of a child. He was insanely competitive. If there was a competition to see who could ping a shot against the crossbar, he was always mad keen to win it.

People used to make a joke of it and say: ‘I bet Ginge could do that’.

That night at Vale do Lobo, I was sitting with Steve Finnan, who was my room-mate, Sami Hyypia and Ginge.

I told Ginge he had to sing a song. I might have said it a couple of times. He said he didn’t want to do it.

I mentioned it again and he snapped. He got silly about it. He got up and started shouting. “Listen,” he yelled, “I’m not singing and I’ve had enough of you banging on about it.”

Sami told me to ignore him and Ginge left fairly soon afterwards. But as the evening wore on and I had more to drink, it started eating away at me.

At that time, the way I was, I didn’t know how to control my emotions if someone disrespected me in front of the rest of the players.

I am one of the worst people on drink. It doesn’t agree with me.

After a while, I told Finnan we were going.

I told him I wanted to sort it out with Ginge.

“I’m not having that,” I said to Finny.

“What are you on about?” he said.

“That ginger fella, he ain’t speaking to me like that,” I said.

Finny told me to ignore him. He told me to forget it and go to bed.

“I’m not ignoring him,” I said. “I’m going to go to his room.”

Finny told me to calm down.

“No, let’s go to our room,” he said.

He was trying to humour me, like a warder with a madman.

We did go back to our room but I still couldn’t let it go.

We had a shared lounge with bedrooms that were upstairs.

Our golf clubs were in the lounge. I’d got one out as I was stewing over what Ginge had done.

It was an eight iron.

I started taking a few practice swings with it.

“Let’s go and see him now,” I said.

I just wanted to wind Ginge up a bit.

He had tried it on with me once or twice in training. He had given me a little nudge in the back.

I’d just look at him and think ‘f off, Ginge.’

So we got round to his room and I knocked on the door. There was no answer.

So I tried the door and it was open. I let myself in and turned the light on.

Ginge was in bed.

He was facing away from me and covering his eyes with his hands because the lights had been switched on.

I just whacked him across the *backside with the club.

You couldn’t really call it a swing. It was just a thwack, really.

If I’d taken a proper swing, I would have hit the ceiling with my backlift.

Finny, by the way, was hiding behind the door at that point.

Ginge panicked.

He curled up in a ball with a blanket.

“You ever speak to me like that in front of people again,” I told him, “I will wrap this round your head.”

“Listen, I didn’t mean it like that,” he said.

“Yes you did,” I barked at him.

“No, no, I didn’t,” he insisted.

“Yes, you did,” I told him again. “That’s a couple of times you’ve pulled that stunt on me and it won’t be happening any more.”

I was warming to my theme now, like people who have had too much to drink usually do.

I threatened him a few times.

“And if you’ve got a problem with any of this, come and see me in my room tomorrow,” I told him. “Don’t go moaning about it.”

I look back at what I did now and I cringe.

It was pathetic. It was stupidity of the highest level. It was drunken, bullying behaviour.

Eventually, I left.

As Finny and I were going back to our room, the coach pulled up outside and all the players poured off it.

They bumped into us in the corridor and, not knowing anything of what had just gone on, piled into our lounge.

It had been a big night. Nobody even noticed the golf club in my hand. Or if they did, they didn’t mention it.

So the night out continued.

The lounge got wrecked basically.

Sofas were turned upside down, lampshades got knocked off lamps, somebody even chucked a plate at one stage and it split someone’s head open.

By the time I went to bed, that room was not a pretty sight.

The next thing I knew, Finnan was knocking on my door.

“The Gaffer and Pako are downstairs,” he said. ‘Oh, no’, I thought. ‘There are a whole number of reasons why they might be here’.

I went downstairs. It was not a pretty picture.

Rafa and his assistant, Pako Ayesteran, were sitting on a sofa that they must have had to pull upright themselves.

Rafa - the most ordered, controlling man I knew - surrounded by utter chaos, by a scene that screamed out loss of control.

There were plates and lampshades everywhere.

Rafa looked at me and told me to put some shoes on before I cut my feet on some debris.

“John Arne Riise has just come to my room to say you attacked him with a golf club,” Rafa said.

“I wouldn’t say I attacked him, exactly,” I said.

I gave him my version. I was already full of remorse.

Rafa looked bemused. It turned out he had had quite a night himself.

A little while later, Dudek appeared with grazes down the side of his face.

“What happened to Jerzy?” I asked.

After I had left the previous night, things had got out of hand.

Jerzy had refused to leave the bar and the police were called and he had ended up in the cells. Rafa had to go and bail him out.

I actually felt relieved.

‘That’s miles worse than my one,’ I thought as I stared over at Jerzy. ‘That might save me.’

That delusion didn’t last long...

So with potential transfers of Suarez, Carroll, Skrtel, Coates, Assaidi, Pacheco, Spearing and a couple of others, add to our already reported 20 Million budget (take FSG's cut) and we could have a substantial budget to rebuild the team this summer. I really hope Brendan spends wisely as my feelings are right now that 'THIS' season not 'LAST' season is now our most important in our rebuilding stage and is the difference between Europe and Mid-table mediocrity.

Just been browsing and looking to see the potential players we've been linked with;

- Damiao

- Eriksen

- Aspas

- Pearce

- Papa

- Jovetic

- Benteke

- Camacho

- Turan

- Luis Alberto

- Tello

- Navas

- Alderweild

- Torres

- Begovic

Picked these up over time and some are way OTT and most won't happen, with the cash we could possible have who would you take?

So with potential transfers of Suarez' date=' Carroll, Skrtel, Coates, Assaidi, Pacheco, Spearing and a couple of others, add to our already reported 20 Million budget (take FSG's cut) and we could have a substantial budget to rebuild the team this summer. I really hope Brendan spends wisely as my feelings are right now that 'THIS' season not 'LAST' season is now our most important in our rebuilding stage and is the difference between Europe and Mid-table mediocrity.

Just been browsing and looking to see the potential players we've been linked with;

- Damiao

- Eriksen

- Aspas

- Pearce

- Papa

- Jovetic

- Benteke

- Camacho

- Turan

- Luis Alberto

- Tello

- Navas

- Alderweild

- Torres

- Begovic

Picked these up over time and some are way OTT and most won't happen, with the cash we could possible have who would you take?[/quote']

Papa, benteke/damiao, mertens (you didn't mention him). We won't get them but I reckon they would come if we really sold the club to them

Im actually embaressed reading some of our fans now turning on Suarez in an instant.

More embaressing reading Tottenham and Newcastle fans sticking there oar in not being funny but what have those two clubs done....ever nothing really and hardly like you are massive forces yourselves :rolleyes:

Newcastle are useless, Spurs fans can laugh but when you lose Bale we will see what team suffers more....even with him you still cant get the big one talk about get above your station achieve something then start talking.

No player is ever bigger than this club. I am still hopeful he will stay here next season. When talking replacements give as many names as you like be they half decent or plain rubbish (like Bent) but none of them will be on Luis level and that is just fact.

As Foster/Stu said You cant find a like for like replacement he is unique, he is world-class and would have to be replaced in a different way.

Im actually embaressed reading some of our fans now turning on Suarez in an instant.

More embaressing reading Tottenham and Newcastle fans sticking there oar in not being funny but what have those two clubs done....ever nothing really and hardly like you are massive forces yourselves :rolleyes:

Newcastle are useless' date=' Spurs fans can laugh but when you lose Bale we will see what team suffers more....even with him you still cant get the big one talk about get above your station achieve something then start talking.

No player is ever bigger than this club. I am still hopeful he will stay here next season. When talking replacements give as many names as you like be they half decent or plain rubbish (like Bent) but none of them will be on Luis level and that is just fact.

As Foster/Stu said You cant find a like for like replacement he is unique, he is world-class and would have to be replaced in a different way.[/quote']

Don't think anyones turned on him, think most are disappointed with the support we've given him that he's seemingly forcing his way out, but if you scratch a little deeper it's understandable. Another is obviously that he is irreplaceable and most comes out of frustration that we will not be able to attract a suitable replacement. Think the best thing we can do, is bring in a young striker with potential and re-invest the money into different positions.

Agree there funny to hear a Newcastle fan especially with the current state of their club and that Suarez or not we are still better. As for Spurs, Woodsy it seems your own comment could cover Tottenham fans thinking they have a god given right to be in the Top 4, end of the day without Bale you're not that far off us at all and I believe if Suarez does leave and we re-invest properly we could easily match you next season.

No player is bigger than the club I agree but no doubt he's our finest player and we should do everything to keep him, we all expected him to leave but I think the timing (Coming off the back of him receiving ANOTHER ban that was self-inflicted, after the all support we've given him) is a kick in the teeth for a lot of Liverpool fans. I mean I know that we've stuck thoroughly by him on this thread during everything and it seems futile now.

I agree Bent is tosh and I don't think Brendan is that stupid. I don't think there is anyone really available, right now i'd take Jovetic and then look at other positions, I'm still confident we will score goals next season but our defence needs a revamp.

No chance of Jovetic with Arsenal' date=' Chelsea and Juve wanting him. Benteke would be do-able i think and that Damiao kid, considering he's still in Brazil.[/quote']

Chelsea and Juve maybe, but Arsenal are no threat where money is concerned. If Liverpool did place a bid I can't see Arsenal doing the same thing.

Damiao would be my preference although can't see him leaving until the World Cup finishes. Can see us just avoiding a direct replacement.

Chelsea and Juve maybe' date=' but Arsenal are no threat where money is concerned. If Liverpool did place a bid I can't see Arsenal doing the same thing.

Damiao would be my preference although can't see him leaving until the World Cup finishes. Can see us just avoiding a direct replacement.[/quote']

Depends what money we're talking about really. I think we'll go up to 25 million for one player this summer; who that is, i don't know. Jovetic seems set on staying in Italy but Juve are terrible to deal with; remember the 8 million for RVP. I even heard they bid for Tevez of 5 million and Felipe Melo. So, he's up for grabs. Not sure i want him, don't think he's what we need. I can't seem him ending up with you though; Champions League is a big factor with him.

Depends what money we're talking about really. I think we'll go up to 25 million for one player this summer; who that is' date=' i don't know. Jovetic seems set on staying in Italy but Juve are terrible to deal with; remember the 8 million for RVP. I even heard they bid for Tevez of 5 million and Felipe Melo. So, he's up for grabs. Not sure i want him, don't think he's what we need. I can't seem him ending up with you though; Champions League is a big factor with him.[/quote']

Very true, in our current situation it'll be difficult to attract anyone really who is of substantial quality I think we'll have to sign Aspas and then invest into the other positions with some young quality and deal with it that way.

I'm inclined to think he is leaving us' date=' massively disappointing I would have hoped he'd give us another year with the amount of support the fans and the club have given him when he's got himself into trouble, but with the way the media is [b'](although partly brought on)[/b] I can understand his decision.

"partly" =

Adverb

To some extent; not completely

Yeah if only he hadn't been partly to blame for being a racist, lying, cheating scumbag who thinks that a good example to set to young children is sinking his teeth into others:rolleyes:

Dragged your clubs name through the gutter and he sums it up by treating you all this way and feeding you all this bull - some 'thanks' that is:rolleyes:

Sincerely doubt he would have left were you in the CL though.

However maybe he is right, papers like Marca etc don't tend to think racism is much of an issue when it happens so he can probably call all the black folk n-s and get away with it.

If only our media weren't so pent up on it and could just promote the KKK etc instead then they would be doing their job properly:rolleyes:

Monaco have signed Falcao on a 5 year deal for a fee believed to be between €50m - €60m.

Nowt to fo with us like buf it narrows the possible top striker options available to other clubs and helps keep Suarez's (?) price up maybe?

Actually it has no bearing on anything and is likely the cabernet sauvignon talking. Sorry

Be a shame to see Suarez leave the EPL. Despite the madness around him, he is a joy to watch.

Im sure you guys will still be able to cope without him. We coped reasonably well when RvP left. You guys want the money to go on a new striker or give someone like Caroll another chance?