ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I very much doubt Pearce thought he was going to be a starter at Liverpool when he wasn't that at Reading who got relegated.
No he probably didn't, but i think wherever he goes next that's what he needs to be doing - starting games.

There is a possibility that he can go for cheap.

Another rumors for today' date='

Worth a punt?[/quote']

Would you and other Liverpool fans be happy with a Suarez swap for Higuain?

I personally would expect some money chucked in as well, not like Higuain can class himself as a regular in his time at Madrid.

I personally would expect some money chucked in as well' date=' not like Higuain can class himself as a regular in his time at Madrid.[/color']

If Suarez wants to go like he says, then Higuain would be a very good replacement for him.

Probably would need a bit of cash on top as Suarez is the better striker, but Higuains goal/game record is up there with the best in the world. If I supported Liverpool Id be happy with that deal instead of losing him for just cash

If Suarez wants to go like he says' date=' then Higuain would be a very good replacement for him.

Probably would need a bit of cash on top as Suarez is the better striker, but Higuains goal/game record is up there with the best in the world. If I supported Liverpool Id be happy with that deal instead of losing him for just cash[/quote']

I'd take that deal for sure, it would depend on the cash they offer as well, If Madrid are actually going to go for Bale for 60 Million then we should deffinetly get as much out of them as possible.

I personally would expect some money chucked in as well' date=' not like Higuain can class himself as a regular in his time at Madrid.[/color']

I doubt Higuain would go for a club that's not in Europe. After all, that's why Suarez looks to be leaving and he'd certainly class himself in a similar bracket to Luis.

Hasnt Higuain agree to join Juve though? A link was posted on the Arsenal forum few days ago as we were also linked with him

Dont know if it's agreed. Juve have been linked with a lot of strikers, to add to the fact Llorente joins on July 1st.

I'm not really sure Madrid would sanction that deal. Also, can't say Higuain is or not playing the same level as Suarez.

But one thing I know for sure, Higuain (with or without cash) is better than Callejon with cash for Suarez.

I'm not really a fan of Higuain (much prefer Benzema), but there is not much option (decent striker) available for small amount of cash right now. That offer could be worth considering.

Also rumors aside, to have straight swap for player is kinda rare for Liverpool transfer nowadays.

I have to say I haven't been overly impressed with Higuain over the last years. That may be because I normally watch Real Madrid only when they're playing some top club in Spain or in CL and his goalscoring record in the champions league is pretty bad. Statistics tell us that he's a very clinical finisher but I wonder if he's the type of striker who scores 3 against the likes of Hercules, Zaragoza, Celta etc but has minimal impact against Barcelona, At Madrid, Valencia, etc.

I'd rather just money but I may be wrong about Higuain.

Really glad that there's been noises about Mkhitaryan again today. Of all the players linked to us that I've never seen, he's definitely the one I'm most excited about:p And we could easily afford him even though he wont be cheap

I doubt Higuain would go for a club that's not in Europe. After all' date=' that's why Suarez looks to be leaving and he'd certainly class himself in a similar bracket to Luis.[/quote']

Oh, haven't you heard Suarez is leaving because no-one backed him when he acted like an idiot? :rolleyes: Agree that Higuain probably wouldn't come here as it seems Juve are interested in him.

And if there's going to be a deal with Higuain coming here in exchange for Suarez, there should easily be £15M in addition to GH.

If we could get Higuain in the deal and about 15/20 mil then I would be over the moon. Why would he come to us though? Can't see it happening. He is such a clinical striker and would be a wonderful replacement though.

Soldado would also be a great buy, but he's 28 so I can't see us paying much money for him. Imagine selling Suarez and replacing him with higuain and soldado! Never gonna happen haha.

Interesting links with Mhktyran again, could be a wonderful Player. Don't see how why would fit him in the team considering Coutinho has been so good in the middle where he plays. I'd rather we just bought a quality winger, that's more of a priority IMO, same reason why I wouldnt be overly fussed if we didjt get Eriksen.

If we could get Higuain in the deal and about 15/20 mil then I would be over the moon. Why would he come to us though? Can't see it happening. He is such a clinical striker and would be a wonderful replacement though.

Maybe that's the way LFC tried to tell Real Madrid that Suarez is not for sell? ;)

I was thinking the other day how many attacking players are we going to sign in addition to Iago Aspas & Luis Alberto - that is if we buy them both? Would there be room for two more? I think the Luis Alberto link is a bit odd unless he’s as good as he looks on Youtube (most likely isn’t) in which case he’ll be good competition for Aspas & Downing. Otherwise he may just be a hindrance to Suso & Sterling’s development.

First choice front four: Sturridge, Coutinho, Downing, Aspas

Second choice front four: Borini, Luis Alberto, Sterling, Suso/Henderson/Allen

In light of the news that Sturridge may be out for 4 months, we need two more. Players who essentially drop Downing and Aspas to the bench but what would that mean to Suso & Sterling? They’re not going to get a look in if we’re buying Aspas, Alberto & two others. Because Suarez is going to leave I’d rather we didn’t buy Luis Alberto but 2 higher quality players and then loan Suso out and have Sterling playing mainly for the u21s but also getting chances in the first team.

Mertens, Eriksen, Mkhitaryan, Luis Muriel, Ben Arfa, Michu, Aubameyang, Griezmann, Doumbia, Jovetic, Ilicic, Payet, Bony, Benteke, Heung-Min Son, S. De Jong. There’s a fair few options out there. All affordable, almost all willing to come here.

What comes to Suarez, we're in a pretty good position with him. There's supposedly 3 teams interested (not sure how serious Bayern are) so hopefully there's going to be a bidding war. Falcao cost €60M so it wouldn't be unrealistic to set an asking price of £50M+.

Lates new from Anfield is that Carroll is moving to West Ham, according to Goal.com

:P
Liverpool are set to announce the departure of Andy Carroll this week, with the striker expected to join West Ham after admitting defeat in his fight to stay at Anfield.

Interesting read here, taken from an article by Nick Miller at Football365, about why Suarez should be sold :-

"Luis Suarez has, quite frankly, become a liability. He has received bans totalling 19 games in his time in England (which isn't counting one carried over from a suspension in Holland when he arrived) without ever being sent off. He is, if nothing else, creative about how he makes himself unavailable for Liverpool. I wrote at more length about this in the slightly fuzzy, confusing hours after he bit Branislav Ivanovic, here.

The point about his status as a liability is that it's entirely unpredictable. As that piece details, the biting incident occurred on the day an interview was published in which he said he was watching how he behaved on the pitch. Liverpool, frankly, have no idea what stupid thing he's going to do next.

Of course, lots of brilliant players are unpredictable, so why would Liverpool sell their most talented striker and top-scorer? The easy answer to that is that he is not as crucial to the side as you might think - while statistics like this are flawed, Paul Tomkins notes here that Liverpool's win ratio with him in the side is 39%, while it is 62% without him. The latter figure probably has too low a sample size to be truly reliable, but it does at least illustrate that Liverpool are not fumbling in the dark without Suarez. They won three of the four games after his suspension at the end of the season, producing arguably their most impressive performance (the demolition of Newcastle) in the process, with Daniel Sturridge scoring five times. Indeed the ever marvellous Opta Joe tweeted recently that 'Without Luis Suarez's goals this season, Liverpool would still have finished seventh in the Premier League table. Depth.'

American writer Bill Simmons is fond of 'The Ewing Theory', the basic concept of which you'll be familiar with - when a team loses a star player upon whom they have seemingly be reliant, said team actually becomes a better 'team'. Of course, that theory has rather inconsistent examples to back it up, but in this case it could apply. If the evidence of the second half of last season is anything to go by, in Sturridge Liverpool potentially have a player to take the goal-scoring burden away from Suarez, and in Phillipe Coutinho a player to replace his creativity.

In any case, losing your best player is not necessarily a sign that the end is nigh. Borussia Dortmund have lost key men in recent years and have only been denied by potentially the next great side of this generation, while Spurs have sold the likes of Michael Carrick, Dimitar Berbatov, Luka Modric and Rafa van der Vaart, have rebuilt and have flourished.

Suarez's wastefulness is also a factor - he scored plenty of goals last season, but he also took a boatload of shots to get them. He had 187 attempts, the most in the Premier League and more than double the amount of Steven Gerrard, the next on Liverpool's list, and in three fewer games too. Even casual observers of Liverpool could tell you that in many of those shooting scenarios, a better-placed teammate was left frustrated and unused.

And then of course there's the money. The going rate for a player of Suarez's ability is around £50million, and with Real Madrid in all likelihood looking to make a transfer splash (they have a presidential election this summer, and will no doubt be smarting after missing out on Neymar), that's a perfectly realistic valuation. With that money, a team could be rebuilt. Liverpool need a new centre-back, possibly a new goalkeeper, maybe a midfielder/winger and another striker. With the £50million, plus any other cash they raise, they could be in quite a position.

Finally, keeping hold of Suarez this summer may simply be a case of delaying the inevitable. Suarez will, in all likelihood, want to leave Liverpool in the next few years, unless something extraordinary happens next season. Selling him now while his playing stock is still high may be the most prudent option"

Can't say I whole agree 100% but interesting stuff all the same. As has been said no player is bigger than the club.

Interesting read here' date=' taken from an article by Nick Miller at Football365, about why Suarez should be sold :-

[center']

[/center]

Can't say I whole agree 100% but interesting stuff all the same. As has been said no player is bigger than the club.

Definitely an interesting read, dont 100% agree on Suarez being wasteful. Yes, he is greedy but this season he's been very clinical when it comes to clear chances. If we get 50 mil then I'll be very happy. I dont feel anywhere near as depressed as I was when Torres left even though Suarez is a better player. Onwards and upwards!

This 'we're better without Suarez' thing makes me laugh. We're not.

You think!?

Can i ask what you think we should do, if its not attempting to find the positive in a situation thats not ideal?

To me the glass is half full, not half empty.

Clearly we would love the lad to stay, ideally without any of his "issues", to stay and build on what he has done on the field this season.

But if not, lets try and see the good in him going. Hes not bigger than the club. We will remain if he doesnt, so lets see what the benefits of him going are.

Not sure who said it, but no player is bigger than the club and if he wants to leave for what ever reason he is citing then surely now is the time to cash in.

The only problem I have is can BR attract the big name players? You lads as supporters will know better than I.

Not sure who said it' date=' but no player is bigger than the club and if he wants to leave for what ever reason he is citing then surely now is the time to cash in.

The only problem I have is can BR attract the big name players? You lads as supporters will know better than I.[/font']

I believe we would be able to attract guys like Mertens, Eriksen - because we are still quite a big club so they would see it as a step up for them. Perhaps Agger will play a role in trying to convince Eriksen as well.

Definitely an interesting read' date=' dont 100% agree on Suarez being wasteful. Yes, he is greedy but this season he's been very clinical when it comes to clear chances. If we get 50 mil then I'll be very happy. I dont feel anywhere near as depressed as I was when Torres left even though Suarez is a better player. Onwards and upwards![/quote']

Somewhere around 50% conversion on clear cut chances. Which is good. But that just makes his general 12% conversion rate even worse. It really tells you the story that he wastes a really big amount of attacks by shooting and not converting it, probably because he tries from very unlikely chances when a team mate would have a better chance.

Somewhere around 50% conversion on clear cut chances. Which is good. But that just makes his general 12% conversion rate even worse. It really tells you the story that he wastes a really big amount of attacks by shooting and not converting it' date=' probably because he tries from very unlikely chances when a team mate would have a better chance.[/quote']

Sure, I don't disagree, just I was saying that when he has a real chance he generally takes it. I'd imagine his stats are so low because he isn't hav Sturridge with him most of the season so had to rely on his own ability instead of passing, which is fair enough IMO.

Seems like we're being linked with Mhktyran again! Even John Bradley (LFC commentator) is talking about him. Lets hope this ones true

Sure' date=' I don't disagree, just I was saying that when he has a real chance he generally takes it. I'd imagine his stats are so low because he isn't hav Sturridge with him most of the season so had to rely on his own ability instead of passing, which is fair enough IMO.

Seems like we're being linked with Mhktyran again! Even John Bradley (LFC commentator) is talking about him. Lets hope this ones true[/quote']Lets hope it's true.

But i don't think Bradley knows any more than anyone else about the transfer really, just has a good knowledge of the player's style.

Think it's in a few of the papers today.