Gold Championship 109: Match Report/Transfer Gossip Thread

Re: Gold Championship 109: Match Report/Transfer Gossip Thread

After last nights friendly 5-0 victory against Colchester, Patrick thistle manager matthew horn held a press conference for the coming season...

Do you feel your squad is fully prepared for the season to come?

- Oh yes, definitely. We have a fantastic crop of players here at Patrick, and now we also have a fantastic youth squad here as well, who should all be getting some first team football experience out on loan this season. With the additions we have made, I don't think we will have a repeat of 2 seasons ago, and drop to Div. 2 because we didn't advance in quality.

You have made a lot of changes to your squad, 14 players coming in with 12 going out. do you think it will take time for players to gel?

-From what I have seen in the friendlies so far, I think not, no. we have scored 10 goals in out last 2 games, and conceded none. I know it is a risky move to make so many changes, but that's the way it is now. You have to keep pace with the other teams and as I said earlier, to not advance in this league is to drop back, which is what unfortunately happened here 2 seasons ago, and I am going to make sure that will not happen again. Personally, I believe we have more potential to win the league than get relegated, but anything could happen- it is that close. We have an incredible, young squad that is only going to improve.

As you said, this league is very close. who are you tipping to win the league and go down?

The league is very close, so really, anybody could win the league, as Hibernian proved last season. However I doubt they will be in it as much, as they now have the champions league to compete in, and I don't know if they have the squad depth to cope with that, so despite them being champions, I have to say I fear for them this season in terms of relegation. As for other relegation candidates, you cant look any further than unmanaged St. Mirren who will struggle. Dunerflime are also an interesting one as they have a fantastic manager with a very young squad, but whether their young players are developed enough to survive or not. Celtic could also suffer, despite their quality, I don't think they really gel as a team, or their managers not got the tactics right. its one of them.

And at the other end of the table, you obviously have the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee. I'd say its got to be between one of those two for the title. and outsiders would be St. Johnstone and QotS, after going through a successful rebuild, I think they will turn over a new leaf after a shocker last season! I wouldn't also rule out ourselves and Falkirk though.

PATRICK THISTLE UPDATE

league

It was a fantastic start to the new season for Patrick thistle with a 2-1 home victory over current champions, Hibernian. Remy Cabella opened the scoring in the 8th minute with a deceptive outside of the foot shot which fooled Sommer. Patrick then went straight back on the attack again, with Muller and Fred coming close.

However, a foul by Ashley Williamson Kagawa just outside the penalty area gifted Hibernian the chance they sought. Pedro Obiang equalised with a well struck free kick, and half time came just at the right time for the home side, Patrick as Hibernian now had the belief they could win this game.

As soon as the second half started, Patrick were again on the attack, with chance after

63rd minute, Lima won the ball from a great interception, and laid the ball off to new signing, Ashley Williams, and tries a speculative effort from range, which flies into the top corner! 2-1 Patrick thistle!

After the goal, it was end to end stuff, as both teams where pushing for a goal- Patrick, to put the game to bed and Hibernian to recue a point. in the last 10 minutes however, Hibernian really began to dominate the play, and it was thanks to Goalkeeper Fraser Forster Patrick thistle held on.

Hoping for a nice and easy victory over newly promoted St. Mirren today.

Transfers

Since the last update, we have had 2 leave and one join. The two to depart were defender Marco Torsigleiri who went to Ukrainian side metalist and midfielder, Marco Hoger who went to Bordeaux. The player who joined was more than enough to make up for the loss of these two however, because it was no other than the extremely exciting prospect, Uros Spajic to arrive in Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

PARTICK THISTLE UPDATE

LEAGUE

the first 5 games have now been played, and we are getting well into the season and already there have been lots of shocks.

Current Div. 1 Table:

Position points

1. Partick thistle 12

--------------------------------

2. Hibernian 10

-----------------------------------

3. Falkirk 10

4. Aberdeen 9

5. dunerflime 9

6. celtic 6

7. St Johnstone 6

8. Q ot S 5

------------------------------------

9. Dundee 4

10. St. Mirren 0

I know, we're top!

Fantastic start to the season for us, with 4 wins and only 1 loss.

our seasons schedule so far:

(H) Vs. Hibs- 2-1

(A) Vs. St Mirren- 1-0

(A) Vs. Aberdeen- 3-2

(H) Vs. St. Johnstone- 2-0

(A)Vs. Dunderflime- 2-0

GTG now folks, but ill be back with a more in detail update

• 4 months later...

I can't remember the last time in my 5 years playing SM where I was relegated once.... let alone twice in one evening! Absolutely gutted.....

Daily-Record-Logo.png

FALKIRK FIGHTBACK FALLS APART

Dougie-Freedman-008.jpg

Deflated.... Tomlins looks on as Falkirks fate becomes clear..

Falkirk will be hosting second tier football at the Falkirk Stadium following relegation on the final day of the season at the hands of title winners, Partick Thistle.

The Bairns went into the final day out of the relegation places, which probably makes it even harder to bare for fans of the Stirlingshire club. But fans knew that they'd have to better anything Celtic managed against Aberdeen. That game finished goalless... but they endured one of the toughest relegation stories 109 may have ever seen...

Partick took an early lead when Pesqueira Josue tucked a free-kick under Falkirk goal keeper, Brkic - the Jags doubled their lead after half-an-hour when top goalscorer, Fred, picked up the ball 6 yards from goals, and could barely miss considering his track record this season. 2-0 at half-time.... you could hear a pin drop in Falkirk as fans began to try and accept there fate...

Whatever Tomlins said at half-time certainly gave his players a kick in the right direction - sending his players out 5 minutes before the second half was even due to kick-off again, they soon showed their fans what they could do one their day - soon 19-year-old, Domenico Berardi had the game at 2-1 with a goal to remember, driving a bouncing ball into the back of the Jags net, and it was all square less than a minute later when Falkirk won a corner straight from the kick-off - Partick failed to clear their lines and the clubs record transfer coup, Moussa Sow pounce to give Falkirk fans hope of a possible revival.

Falkirk fans couldn't believe what they were seeing 7 minutes later! When Izet Hajrovic set up Morrison in the box, who connected with a bullet header into the top of the net, 3-2 to Falkirk!!!

Falkirk held on for 20 more minutes, with equal chances being created by either side, and the game looking like it could swing either way. However.... hearts were broken when Chaves Fred scored his 24th goal of the season.... not one of his finest, but making the scores all square at 3-3.

Fred could have been on the score sheet again 5 minutes later, when a through ball from Nicolai Muller saw the Brazilian in on goal..... only to be called offside once he'd put the ball in the back of the net.

Falkirk fans knew they were close, with fans anxiously looking at their phones with earpieces in waiting for confirmation of the score at Celtic, knowing if both scores stayed as they were.... Falkirk would fight to play another season in the top flight.... but no.

Partick picked up a foul 25-yards out... with 3 minutes remaining on the clock.... Pesqueira Josue lofted a free-kick into the box, where Hiroshi Kiyotake, a former target for Falkirk before moving to Partick, smashed the ball into Zeljko Brkic's net.... silencing the home fans and sending the away fans wild.

Fulltime: Falkirk 3 Partick Thistle 4

The question that must be asked now is.... what next for Falkirk? Its understood Sebastien Pocognoli handed in a transfer concern 4 weeks ago, and he could well be the first to go, while the club are also understood to have listed German midfielder, Christian Gentner on the market. The future of the gaffer could be in serious doubt too - although he did guide them to promotion from division two only in season 6. Could he do it again?

• 1 month later...

3 years? We've had unmanaged teams in the league for ages...or were you just waiting for the league leaders to become available :D

everytime I checked the Scottish league was full.............oh and they wont be top for long now i'm in charge :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't remember the last time in my 5 years playing SM where I was relegated once.... let alone twice in one evening! Absolutely gutted.....

Daily-Record-Logo.png

FALKIRK FIGHTBACK FALLS APART

Dougie-Freedman-008.jpg

Deflated.... Tomlins looks on as Falkirks fate becomes clear..

Falkirk will be hosting second tier football at the Falkirk Stadium following relegation on the final day of the season at the hands of title winners' date=' Partick Thistle.

The Bairns went into the final day out of the relegation places, which probably makes it even harder to bare for fans of the Stirlingshire club. But fans knew that they'd have to better anything Celtic managed against Aberdeen. That game finished goalless... but they endured one of the toughest relegation stories 109 may have ever seen...

Partick took an early lead when Pesqueira Josue tucked a free-kick under Falkirk goal keeper, Brkic - the Jags doubled their lead after half-an-hour when top goalscorer, Fred, picked up the ball 6 yards from goals, and could barely miss considering his track record this season. 2-0 at half-time.... you could hear a pin drop in Falkirk as fans began to try and accept there fate...

Whatever Tomlins said at half-time certainly gave his players a kick in the right direction - sending his players out 5 minutes before the second half was even due to kick-off again, they soon showed their fans what they could do one their day - soon 19-year-old, Domenico Berardi had the game at 2-1 with a goal to remember, driving a bouncing ball into the back of the Jags net, and it was all square less than a minute later when Falkirk won a corner straight from the kick-off - Partick failed to clear their lines and the clubs record transfer coup, Moussa Sow pounce to give Falkirk fans hope of a possible revival.

Falkirk fans couldn't believe what they were seeing 7 minutes later! When Izet Hajrovic set up Morrison in the box, who connected with a bullet header into the top of the net, 3-2 to Falkirk!!!

Falkirk held on for 20 more minutes, with equal chances being created by either side, and the game looking like it could swing either way. However.... hearts were broken when Chaves Fred scored his 24th goal of the season.... not one of his finest, but making the scores all square at 3-3.

Fred could have been on the score sheet again 5 minutes later, when a through ball from Nicolai Muller saw the Brazilian in on goal..... only to be called offside once he'd put the ball in the back of the net.

Falkirk fans knew they were close, with fans anxiously looking at their phones with earpieces in waiting for confirmation of the score at Celtic, knowing if both scores stayed as they were.... Falkirk would fight to play another season in the top flight.... but no.

Partick picked up a foul 25-yards out... with 3 minutes remaining on the clock.... Pesqueira Josue lofted a free-kick into the box, where Hiroshi Kiyotake, a former target for Falkirk before moving to Partick, smashed the ball into Zeljko Brkic's net.... silencing the home fans and sending the away fans wild.

[b']Fulltime: Falkirk 3 Partick Thistle 4
[/b]

The question that must be asked now is.... what next for Falkirk? Its understood Sebastien Pocognoli handed in a transfer concern 4 weeks ago, and he could well be the first to go, while the club are also understood to have listed German midfielder, Christian Gentner on the market. The future of the gaffer could be in serious doubt too - although he did guide them to promotion from division two only in season 6. Could he do it again?

Daily-Record-Logo.png

DIVISION ONE RETURN FOR FALKIRK ON THE CARDS

dougie-freedman-watford-a-4x3201-1816101_478x359.jpg

After a short 5 month absence, Falkirk look set to clinch a return straight back to the top flight of Scottish football in 109. After relgation was confirmed at the end of season 10 - the future of Falkirk manager, Dan Tomlins was being questioned - but just a season on, the Englishman has achieved his second division 2 success while discovering some new icons on the way;

A division 1 return looked like it lied upon Moussa Sow, Christian Gentner and Yura Movsisyan, but between them only manged 13 goals and 11 assists between them - with Sow and Movsisyan soon finding themselves dropped only featuring 18 times between them during the campaign.

But no, signed upon their relegation, Josef Martinez, signed for £3.3m has so far achieved 17 goals in 25 appearances - with his eye on 20 for the campaign.

Albanian, Armando Sadiku, a mainly unknown name when Tomlins signed him back in 2012, finally broke into the Falkirk XI this season, and re-payed the faith shown in him scoring a superb 22 goals in 22 games in all competitions.

Among these two, special mention goes for Hector Herrera, the Mexican achieved a impressive 25 assists during the campaign - with fans and manager alike hoping the 24-year-old can repeat the same form next season when the club return to the top flight.

With a Cup Semi-Final against Motherwell in the pipeline, Falkirk cans could yet have more to celebrate.

Moussa Sow, Christian Gentner and Yura Movsisyan have since been listed as available by the club ahead of the new campaign.