Cristiano Ronaldo 98>96

Radebe20

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo 98>96

would be one hell of a task for the SM team to change everyones ratings down, just because they cant improve Messi's rating beyond 99, I can't see why a rating of 99 wouldn't be enough. I mean the way everyone is talking, he can only get better etc, I agree his game can get better in some ways, and he can inevitably achieve more. But really, people were talking the exact same way about Ronaldinho. I mean how bad would someone have to be to get a 59 rating, lol.

Guest JackWWFC

Xavi>Messi

Dinho>Xavi (look up the stats' date=' he has the most assists in Europe major leagues iirc)

Thus, Dinho>Messi :P[/quote']

Erm, they all play different positions so you cant say someone is better than someone else.

In goal, Kevin Poole is better then Messi. So...Kevin Poole > Messi.

Xavi plays a playmaker role in the center

Messi is Inside Forward

Ronaldinho plays either on the wings or on the left side

B)

The La liga is better than the prem? thats a joke' date=' there are only a few good teams in Spain, England has many; Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, Villa, Fulham. Spain have Real, Barca, Valencia, Sevilla, Athletico and then I begin to struggle to name good spanish teams.[/quote']

Besides the top 3-4 clubs is the premier league really that good?

Tottenham - not even in Europe.

Everton - Embarrassed on 3 occasions by Portuguese sides this season.

Villa - didn't even get past the Europa league qualifying round.

Fulham - granted they're having an outstanding season but you'd hardly call them a top English club.

If you're going to start naming Everton, Villa and Fulham as good sides then equally so are Villareal, Deportivo and Mallorca. Villareal and Depor have also had fairly successful Champions league campaigns in the past as well.

Fulham - granted they're having an outstanding season but you'd hardly call them a top English club.

If you're going to start naming Everton' date=' Villa and Fulham as good sides then equally so are Villareal, Deportivo and Mallorca. Villareal and Depor have also had fairly successful Champions league campaigns in the past as well.[/quote']

Yup, that's embarrassing, if we consider those teams were Sporting and Benfica :eek:

If you're going to start naming Everton' date=' Villa and Fulham as good sides then equally so are Villareal, Deportivo and Mallorca. Villareal and Depor have also had fairly successful Champions league campaigns in the past as well.[/quote']

I suggest you have a read of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

The Premier League is some distance ahead of La Liga and apart from Barcelona, the English big 4 is ranked higher than all other Spanish sides. The coefficients are based on European games where the Premier League teams usually have to change their style of play so I think you're being overly critical of the PL.

I suggest you have a read of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

The Premier League is some distance ahead of La Liga and apart from Barcelona' date=' the English big 4 is ranked higher than all other Spanish sides. The coefficients are based on European games where the Premier League teams usually have to change their style of play so I think you're being overly critical of the PL.[/quote']

i'd say a large reason why england are ahead of spain is for the reasons that biscuit mentioned - the past 6 years or so its been the same 4 teams getting the CL money and they've been able to use that cash to beef their squads and use that experience to do well in the CL and there hasnt been much competition for those places until this season really, whereas in spain in that same period there have been 9 teams who have been in the CL (barca, real, villareal, valencia, sevilla, atletico, osasuna, depor, betis) and bar the big 2 they havent been able to benefit from the economic advantages that the big 4 in england have in order to build on their CL success.

besides, the uefa coefficient only really ranks leagues by their best 6/7 teams, so beyond those teams the strength of a league is open to debate

i'd say a large reason why england are ahead of spain is for the reasons that biscuit mentioned - the past 6 years or so its been the same 4 teams getting the CL money and they've been able to use that cash to beef their squads and use that experience to do well in the CL and there hasnt been much competition for those places until this season really' date=' whereas in spain in that same period there have been 9 teams who have been in the CL (barca, real, villareal, valencia, sevilla, atletico, osasuna, depor, betis) and bar the big 2 they havent been able to benefit from the economic advantages that the big 4 in england have in order to build on their CL success.

besides, the uefa coefficient only really ranks leagues by their best 6/7 teams, so beyond those teams the strength of a league is open to debate[/quote']

The only way you can compare the two leagues is by how they fare in European competition and England is currently on top. No-one can accurately say how Bolton would do against Espanyol because they don't play against each other. Of course it's open to debate but nobody will have any evidence to back up their arguments. It'll turn into a my Dad's bigger than your Dad debate. Good players in Spain can do averagely in England (Riera) and good players in England can be average in Spain (Owen, Beckham). It's tit for tat until either UEFA rank a league based on all its teams or lower placed teams get the opportunity to play each other competitively.

It's tit for tat until either UEFA rank a league based on all its teams or lower placed teams get the opportunity to play each other competitively.

sadly the former is pretty much impossible and the latter wont ever happen so like you said the debate will:

turn into a my Dad's bigger than your Dad debate.

The Premier League is some distance ahead of La Liga and apart from Barcelona' date=' the English big 4 is ranked higher than all other Spanish sides. The coefficients are based on European games where the Premier League teams usually have to change their style of play so I think you're being overly critical of the PL.[/quote']

So you're basically agreeing with my point. The English coefficient ranking is high because of our big 4 doing well in the CL over the past few seasons.

My point was that outside of our top 4, is the premier league really as good as you think?

club ranking coefficients from bernt kassle's site (english teams in bold):

1 FC Barcelona 134.751

2 Manchester United 125.199

3 Chelsea 118.199

4 Arsenal 115.199

5 Liverpool 113.199

6 Sevilla 108.751

13 Real Madrid 84.751

18 Villarreal 70.751

21 Valencia 66.751

27 Atlético Madrid 58.751

30 Tottenham Hotspur 56.199

36 Espanyol 53.751

42 Everton 44.199

51 Bolton Wanderers 38.199

53 Osasuna 37.751

54 Middlesbrough 37.199

59 Fulham FC 35.199

63 Getafe 33.751

64 Manchester City 33.199

65 Newcastle United 33.199

70 Blackburn Rovers 29.199

75 Celta de Vigo 26.751

76 Real Betis 26.751

81 Aston Villa 25.699

88 Athletic Bilbao 23.751

89 Racing Santander 23.751

91 Deportivo La Coruña 22.751

93 Portsmouth FC 22.199

106 Real Zaragoza 17.751

the number of teams is pretty much constant (14 english, 15 spanish)

So you're basically agreeing with my point. The English coefficient ranking is high because of our big 4 doing well in the CL over the past few seasons.

My point was that outside of our top 4' date=' is the premier league really as good as you think?[/quote']

Outside the top 4 we have no idea of how well the leagues compare. I think Spurs, City, Villa, Everton are just as good as their respective Spanish sides but that's an opinion. I have no evidence to back that up and no-one will ever get evidence to the contrary.

There's the added factor that the Europa league is seen as a 2nd rate competition in England - with some teams putting out their reserve side if their priority is their Premier League position.

It's sad to see a previously glamourous competition such as the UEFA Cup degenerate into this state.

I just finished watching Barcelona destroy Arsenal. More to the point' date=' I just finished watching Lionel Messi.

SM ratings are capped at 99, and Messi is nailed on for that. But something Arsene Wenger said after the game, I couldn't help but agree with.

'He is the best player in the world, [b']by a distance.[/b]'

So he rises to 99. This makes him rated 1 point higher than Ronaldo, and with no scope to increase that advantage. Are players going to have to start dropping to compensate as Messi continues to increase, because lets face it, at 22, the best is yet to come.

I'd currently rate him;

2 points better than Ronaldo.

3 points better than Xavi.

3 points better than Rooney.

4 points better than Kaka.

4 points better than Torres.

4 points better than Villa.

4 points better than Iniesta.

4 points better than Fabregas.

5 points better than Lampard.

5 points better than Gerrard.

5 points better than Vidic.

The list goes on. Seeing as Messi cannot exceed 99, does this mean these players will have to drop to allow for the gap?

What's more, Messi's advantage on the rest is only going to grow as he does.

People are misunderstanding what I mean, thinking I am calling for players to be dropped. I am simply stating, hypothetically, if Messi is to take his game to another level next season, and is already at 99, then how is it fair that he is still only rated 1 point above some, 2 points above others etc, and what will SM do to make it fair.

the ONLY way messi can go to a 99 is if argentina get at least to the finals at the world cup

Messi is by far the most over rated footballer in the world. Imo i don't think he deserves 99. He's not a scratch on Maradona and Pele as some newspapers claim' date=' i can't believe all this about him being the best player ever.[/quote']

Messi is not the most over rated footballer in the world,thats a fact.If you have seen him play lately he is unstopabble.The other thing is that when Maradona and Pele were around players wearent that good,Goalkeepers were not as good as they are now etc.Players are more prepared now,so it makes it harder to get a the kind of dominance that they established,but there is no doubt that Messi is the best.

I think that for Messi to be considered the best of all times he needs to win the World Cup at least once though.

Messi is not the most over rated footballer in the world' date='thats a fact.If you have seen him play lately he is unstopabble.The other thing is that when Maradona and Pele were around players wearent that good,Goalkeepers were not as good as they are now etc.Players are more prepared now,so it makes it harder to get a the kind of dominance that they established,but there is no doubt that Messi is the best.

I think that for Messi to be considered the best of all times he needs to win the World Cup at least once though.[/quote']

You can only be the best of your era. The goalkeepers these days are better but so is the technology. Balls are much lighter, grounds are much better, video technology is better etc. Comparing players like Pele and Messi is always going to be iffy.

However good you think messi is, I don't disagree that he is the best player in the world, but you also have to consider that arsenal didn't have their first choice back centre backs against barca, they were playing silvestre! as a united fan, i've already seen silvestre mess up MANY times playing centre back. In my opinion, arsenal would not have got destroyed if they had their first choice centre pairing (or even with song at the back).

Messi should stay 98, however i do think ronaldo should drop to 97.

However good you think messi is' date=' I don't disagree that he is the best player in the world, but you also have to consider that arsenal didn't have their first choice back centre backs against barca, they were playing silvestre! as a united fan, i've already seen silvestre mess up MANY times playing centre back. In my opinion, arsenal would not have got destroyed if they had their first choice centre pairing (or even with song at the back).

Messi should stay 98, however i do think ronaldo should drop to 97.[/quote']

i think messi is a 98. maybe 99 next time but ronaldo has settlde into a new league seeemlessly and scoring a hell of a lot as well.

watch him play he always comes up with something to help madrid.

i really do not think ronaldo should drop.

i think messi is a 98. maybe 99 next time but ronaldo has settlde into a new league seeemlessly and scoring a hell of a lot as well.

watch him play he always comes up with something to help madrid.

i really do not think ronaldo should drop.

yeah true, i wouldn't think he would drop, but if sm really wanna show that messi is the best player in the world, they have to make him drop, it is highly unlikely that there will be a 99 ever in sm.. correct me if i'm wrong.. neither kaka or roanldo has had a 99 rating before when they were the world's best player.

yeah true' date=' i wouldn't think he would drop, but if sm really wanna show that messi is the best player in the world, they have to make him drop, it is highly unlikely that there will be a 99 ever in sm.. correct me if i'm wrong.. neither kaka or roanldo has had a 99 rating before when they were the world's best player.[/quote']

if sm want to show messi is the best raise him to 99.

but ronaldo is excellent i think he fully deserves his 98.

ronaldoinio was once 99

• 3 weeks later...

Messi is not the most over rated footballer in the world' date='thats a fact.If you have seen him play lately he is unstopabble.The other thing is that when Maradona and Pele were around players wearent that good,Goalkeepers were not as good as they are now etc.Players are more prepared now,so it makes it harder to get a the kind of dominance that they established,but there is no doubt that Messi is the best.

I think that for Messi to be considered the best of all times he needs to win the World Cup at least once though.[/quote']

Yes he is the most over rated player in the world, 'fact'.

He is a superb finished granted, but a tough defence can quell him no probs. he does well against weak defences but can't produce anything speical against the stronger ones. Inter and Chelsea being prime examples.

he allso hasn't played too well Internationally for Argentina.

Best ever!!!! That is rubbish, even if he wins the wc, which is unlikely, he still shouldn't be muttered in the same sentence as pele and best ever, unless there is a not in there ofcourse.

I'm going to have to agree. I think Barca in general are a tad overrated. I'm glad they were found out by a more tactically- and defensively-sound Inter side.

They play in a glorified Scottish League, and even then Real Madrid are an embarrassment.