Bernd Leno

bernd_leno_2_147x222.jpg

Date Of Birth: 4th March 1992 (18)

Nationality: German

Club: VfB Stuttgart II

Position: GK

Honours: 2009 UEFA Euro U17 Champion / 2009 U 17 league champion with VfB

SM Rating: 76

Leno started playing football in the youth of SV Germania Bietigheim. With 11 years he already moved to the youth of VfB Stuttgart.

After Ulreich (2nd keeper of VfB) got injured this year, the 3rd keeper Stolz who has been playing for the reserve team of Stuttgart so far was promoted and Leno had the chance to play for the reserve in the third league even if he still could have played in the U19 youth team of Stuttgart.

But he took the chance and showed good performances in the 13 matches he has played so far.

I don't think he will become regular at Stuttgart soon as it seems like Sven Ulreich will be the new no 1 next season. If Ulreich does well, he will stay in goal. If he fails Stuttgart probably will look for an experienced GK.

But long-term I can see him becoming at least a mid 80 rated keeper if he moves the club.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Re: Bernd Leno - 76 rated GK talent

Update:

Leno moved on loan to Leverkusen where he should replace Adler who is currently injured! So basically it can be assumed that he will get some Bundesliga minutes.

However it's a bit strange at Leverkusen these days. They already have two backup keepers that aren't too bad either - one of them, Giefer, is also still young and IMO not to bad at all, even if he didn't look too good against Mainz. The other one is Yelldell, who was regular at 2nd league club Duisburg last season. All I want to say with this is, that if Leno makes a mistake, he may also be put on the bench soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Bernd Leno - 79 rated GK talent

Timesle , i bought Leno off this report when you first put it up and haven't been dissapointed , very good find and it now seems he could possibly see a small rise in the German changes if he can hold down a place in the Levekusan team fr a little longer.

I was just wondering as i was interested by some of your points about the 2nd and 3rd choice keepers at Levekusan not being played and Leno being loaned in instead. Can you see him staying longer than the period Rene is going to be out for and maybe challenging for a first team slot? and if not do you think he can go back to Stuttgart and challenge for the number 1 jersey there?

Again thanks for the find and the report , was able to pick him up in 5579 ages ago with no competition which now seems worthwhile :D

Can you see him staying longer than the period Rene is going to be out for and maybe challenging for a first team slot? and if not do you think he can go back to Stuttgart and challenge for the number 1 jersey there?

So far it's still uncertain when Adler will come back. Earliest in October. So I suppose Leno will stay the first team GK at least until then. In a German Leverkusen forum I read a few posts where the fans said that it will be not too easy for Adler to get his spot back if Leno will continue to play like he did so far. However as Stuttgart don't want to sell him' date=' I doubt that Leverkusen will still prefer him over Adler when Rene is back again from injury.

At Stuttgart the officials say that Leno and Ulreich will have to fight for the first team spot after the winter break. This is on the one hand nearly a luxury problem as Ulreich certainly isn't doing a bad job at all, [b']but[/b] he isn't doing too great aswell. More like an average Bundesliga goalkeeper with sometimes saving the toughest balls and sometimes looking a bit shaky.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Leno would be the number 1 at Stuttgart in the second half of the season.

just to add i watched this guy play in the recent game between bayer and dortmund

and he was very impressive, in all honesty he kept bayer in the game for long periods of time and even continued to play well after getting kicking in the nether regions by gotze, showed real maturity for a young keeper

suprised stuggart have allowed him to go out on loan in all honesty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update:

Leverkusen signs up Leno for ~8M €. After Leno did very good whilst being on loan at Leverkusen they showed their interest in signing him permanently. And as in the past few months Stuttgart's no 1 Ulreich also did quite good, there was no need to call Leno back for Stuttgart.

However the only loser in this deal probably is the currently injured Adler. I doubt Leverkusen will pay 8M for Leno if they are also willing to keep (an expansive) Adler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So' date=' who is the biggest young GK talent in Germany?

Leno?

Ter-Stegen?

Zieler?[/quote']

Leno! Considering Adler is rated 90 on SM and Leno is seemingly still keeping him out of the team after his injury, and signed for 8 million euros, which is a lot on a 19 year old, this guy has all the attributes to be right at the top! Watch him closely, 87 at least by the end of the season. Ter-Stegen is also good though, and Zieler is ahead of the rest in the international pecking order, but never the less, Leno is a wonderful talent!