Re: Jamie Carragher

why does he need to take his place at united. if your on about league position' date=' arsenal are lower than liverpool and toure is rated 94 so thats a weak argument. also carragher has always been overlooked for england. its not his fault managers are to scared to drop rio. Also its not like he hasnt had international experience because he has. he has also won more than Rio and toure put together ![/quote']

nah wot i mean is:-

2 centre midfielders play for country x they are both rated 92 there is another midfielder who plays for club z and is playing out of his skin, but if he is overlooked for his country in favour for the other 2 then surely he can never equal or surpass their ratings of 92 and will be stuck at 91 or rarely 92 untill a) one of the three retire from international or B) he replaces one at international level.

now used in the england defence example jt is 97 and rio is 94 they, when fit start every england match but although carragher is playing class in the premiership he cant really share rio's rating as rio is the person ahead in the international setup and has been for at least 2 years. scholes is now 94 but can achieve whatever rating he wants as he is retired and therefore has no international pecking order. so i assume unless rio is uprooted or goes up(very unlikely) then carragher is frozen.

another example if germany's keepers. at the world cup lehmann was 93 kahn 91 and hilderbrand 91. hilderbrand has warranted a 92 but can't get it because the germany pecking order was 1.lehmann 2.kahn 3.hildebrand so he was frozen but kahn retired from Germany meaning hildebrand went to 2nd choice now allowing him to go to 92 meaning he can surpass kahn rating but not lehmann's untill he replaces him or lehmann retires internationally.

i hope this makes sense, i believe from experince this is how ratings for international involved players work but i maybe wrong.

but im puzzled at hargreaves being a 90 when he starts constantly and believe he will replace carricks rating as he is preferred

personally i would have rio out the england team and carragher in though :P

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of international being higher than prem is true, but these are guidlines not rules. Regardless of if he plays for england its obvious that he has as much talent as rio or ANY other 94 rated CB. He has proved it constantly in Champions league. Premiership. UEFA cup, FA Cup, League cup. i can understand you saying he shouldn't be the same as rio. but quite frankly he should.

Carragher should go up to 94 regardless of international thing, because he's been playing well enough for Pool to warrant 94. Like Defoe and Crouch, Crouch usually starts in front of Defoe but they still share a 91 rating.

Anyway, international matches are very few, and sm should put more focus on club performances as there are more performances to count for. You can't just rate Carragher based on say 10 England international matches he missed as opposed to 50 Pool Matches :confused::confused: .

Guest Oliver Husseini

Personally I think Carra is the most underrated player in the EPL. I mean the performances he puts up for Liverpool every week. He keeps the defence solid and leads them. Him and Sami have taught young defenders such as Arbeloa and

Agger new things. He proved it against Barcelona (just an example) what a fantastic player he is. He is one of the players that keep Liverpool's chances of getting the Premiership Title alive. I think he should go UP to an 95 or 94 AT LEAST. Point said nothing much to say to be honest:D

j. carragher and j.terry are the two best cbs in the world and carragher should be in the england starting 11 all the time with j.terry

Jamie Carragher is under-rated for the England squad nobody who has seen him play over the last couple of years can argue with that. The only problem is who he has to contend against for position in the England team, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand talk about unlucky. Carragher could still play in the England set-up though, in the right-back position, but this has been tried before and although I thought he done a great job, it was obvious he was uncomfortable with the position, not unlike Steven Gerrard being out of position on the right wing for England and Liverpool.

Carraghers recent performances in both the champions league matches to beat Barcelona to get to the quarter-finals alone get should have got him considered for a well deserved shot in the England squad but he has played incredibly well for the last couple of years so I don't see why McLaren doesn't give him a shot.

If a player of Carraghers ability doesn't have a chance in the England team then who has? If McLaren doesn't replace a world class defender with another then he will keep on playing the same 11 players as often as he can with the same formation as he hasn't got the bottle to drop bigger players who don't play well. Teams who play England will realise this and set their tactics to stop England winning games the way they used to. Anyway my rant is over :D

EDIT:Oh I forgot to say but I think you get my point his rating should go up.

Look, it's not really Carragher's fault if he doesn't get an England cap, just cos McClaren is too thick to try him out. McClaren drops players like Beckham who can make a difference when he's on, and yet doesn't try out players like Carragher who is on par with Ferdinand as a CB.

So, at the end of the day, Carragher should go up to a 94, and McClaren should go down to a donkey.

• 1 year later...

i think he is either overrated at 94 or his fellow liverpool defenders are underrated. Hyppia and Agger are 89s and Arbeloa and Finnan are 90s. I don't think the gap between Jamie and these players is worthy of a 4-5 point gap. What do you guys think?

Personally i think it should be:

Carragher 93

Arbeloa 91

Agger 90 (when he is fit next season)

Finnan 90

Hyppia 90

Carragher is fine at 94, he is such a key player for Liverpool. But Agger and Skrtel should both be 92+ IMO, Hyypia should be 90/91 and Finnan and Arbeloa should be 91+. But with Agger returning to fitness next season, and with Degen and Dossena coming I don't think the last 3 will rise at all next season.

i think he is either overrated at 94 or his fellow liverpool defenders are underrated. Hyppia and Agger are 89s and Arbeloa and Finnan are 90s. I don't think the gap between Jamie and these players is worthy of a 4-5 point gap. What do you guys think?

Personally i think it should be:

Carragher 93

Arbeloa 91

Agger 90 (when he is fit next season)

Finnan 90

Hyppia 90

carra's past his peak so i wouldnt be shocked if he ends the season at 93

arbeloa is 90-91 at the moment, depends on how much he plays next season

finnan seems to be gone, so he'll probably drop

hyypia possibly a 90, but 89 is fair

agger will definetely rise to at least 91 if he is fit all season and plays

skrtel should also rise to at least a 91 next season

Pool's defenders are definitely underrated imo.

Having the top 3 defence in the league for the past couple of season, I dun see why anyone questions the rating of carra since he's such a key player for pool.

Having a fantastic defence by conceding only 28 goals last season in the EPL, Arsenal 31 (4th best) and Chelsea 26 (2nd best), we seem to have players way below Arsenal (Gallas and Toure at 94) and Chelsea (Terry at 95 and Carvalho at 94, even Alex the sub is at 92). And ppl are still questioning the rating of Carragher!

Perhaps the only reason i can fall for pool's appalling defence's rating is the rotation policy of Benitez. Still, first choice players like Hypia and Skrtel are lousier than tons of players :confused:

Pool's defenders are definitely underrated imo.

Having the top 3 defence in the league for the past couple of season' date=' I dun see why anyone questions the rating of carra since he's such a key player for pool.

Having a fantastic defence by conceding only 28 goals last season in the EPL, Arsenal 31 (4th best) and Chelsea 26 (2nd best), we seem to have players way below Arsenal (Gallas and Toure at 94) and Chelsea (Terry at 95 and Carvalho at 94, even Alex the sub is at 92). And ppl are still questioning the rating of Carragher!

Perhaps the only reason i can fall for pool's appalling defence's rating is the rotation policy of Benitez. Still, first choice players like Hypia and Skrtel are lousier than tons of players :confused:[/quote']

I think Carra has his higher rating because of his CL performances over the last few season as nobody can question those (unless they are completly biased or stupid).

as for the EPL I do not think we have that good of a defense, yeah the stats look good but we do play quite defensive at times which helps with the clean sheets because when we push up Carra isnt the fastest of people (his only stat which he lacks really for a CB) and Hyypia gets left for dead there is only Agger who has a little pace.

When you watch Man Utd and Arsenal play both those sides can push there defenses up to support the attack (there goals back this fact up) and because of the speed of Rio, Vidic, Toure etc when a team breaks they can deal with it most times we can not.

Rio and Vidic although it pains me to say it prob deserve a +1 each, Toure, Carv, Gallas have high ratings because of there "all round" game as CB's imo.

Carra is as good defensevaly if not better than most of those, but when you add in passing, speed and all round technique those players are better than Carra and as a CB you do need to be rated on those stats aswell.

Terry is also higher because hes an England regular or was before INJ anyways