Unofficial World Cup Thread

Stuart H

Everybody loves the World Cup. Your country may not be involved and some of the matches may be dire but the competition is like no other football tournament in the world. The atmosphere is always spectacular with all the different team colours, the exuberance of the fans and sometimes the football on show isn't half bad.

In this thread I'll try and hunt the internet for random fun stuff to do with the World Cup to try and get everyone in the mood in the run-up to kick off. I'd love if people could add to this thread and share findings of their own to get fevers running. It could be an article, a competition, a quiz, interesting trivia, anything you think could get people interested in, what is in my mind, the best sports tournament around.

I'll start with this article analysing the best and worst of the kits on show in South Africa. Feel free to add to their suggestions or as mentioned before, share some good links or information of your own finding :)

Re: Unofficial World Cup Thread

I'll start with this article analysing the best and worst of the kits on show in South Africa. Feel free to add to their suggestions or as mentioned before' date=' share some good links or information of your own finding :)[/quote']

I'm appalled they've put Slovenia as the worst, I'd be tempted to buy one of those bad boys if Koren's future at the Albion wasn't a bit iffy.

Obviously supporting Australia :D and think we have a chance of going as far as we did last world cup or even further hopefully.

How do others rate Australia as a side and their chances of progressing?

It's a tough group isn't it? If I'm honest I don't fancy the Aussies' chances much. I've not followed the Asian qualifying at all this time so I'd be lying if I said I had any idea how they're playing, but purely looking at the squad and management on paper it's one of the worst Aussie sides I can remember since they became a real household name in World football. For me it's an ageing group who on the whole aren't really going into the tournament on great form for their clubs, with a couple of exceptions.

What would worry me most as an Aussie is the lack of much talent really staking a claim and breaking through to replace this generation.

It's a tough group isn't it? If I'm honest I don't fancy the Aussies' chances much. I've not followed the Asian qualifying at all this time so I'd be lying if I said I had any idea how they're playing' date=' but purely looking at the squad and management on paper it's one of the worst Aussie sides I can remember since they became a real household name in World football. For me it's an ageing group who on the whole aren't really going into the tournament on great form for their clubs, with a couple of exceptions. [/quote']

Yeah we have been defensively solid and enter the world cup with teh best defensive record in the comp ( but its easiet to defend against teams like Kuwait and Oman rather than most other confederations) and tend to have low scoring victories. Really and truly its Schwarzer and Timmy who will determine how we go. If they are both on song, with some support from others we have a chance, if either of their form lags a bit then we will bow out at the group stages.

What would worry me most as an Aussie is the lack of much talent really staking a claim and breaking through to replace this generation.

Yeah agree with this point. We seem to have a gap between our current squad and those players rising up e.g. Oar, Bouzanis etc. We lack players around the 24 year old mark who are performing well at reasonable clubs.

I also think the German match first up will be a teller. If they play us off the park we will wimp out. If we play well and put up a good fight and still loose we may have the confidence to get past Ghana and Serbia.

Yeah we have been defensively solid and enter the world cup with teh best defensive record in the comp ( but its easiet to defend against teams like Kuwait and Oman rather than most other confederations) and tend to have low scoring victories. Really and truly its Schwarzer and Timmy who will determine how we go. If they are both on song' date=' with some support from others we have a chance, if either of their form lags a bit then we will bow out at the group stages.

Yeah agree with this point. We seem to have a gap between our current squad and those players rising up e.g. Oar, Bouzanis etc. We lack players around the 24 year old mark who are performing well at reasonable clubs.

I also think the German match first up will be a teller. If they play us off the park we will wimp out. If we play well and put up a good fight and still loose we may have the confidence to get past Ghana and Serbia.[/quote']

That's funny actually because looking at the squad it was the defence that seemed particularly weak to me. Organisation goes a hell of a long way though and Verbeek appears to have a decent handle on how to set a team up to be fairly solid. At least on Cahill and Schwarzer they've both had pretty good seasons going into the summer.

I don't think Australia has a particularly bad side or anything (though it appears they lack quality depth beyond the first XI), but they've been given a dog of a draw. I just look at the squads of the four teams and see Australia having to play at the absolute peak of their powers to go through.

I'm appalled they've put Slovenia as the worst' date=' I'd be tempted to buy one of those bad boys if Koren's future at the Albion wasn't a bit iffy.[/quote']

I agree. The shirts with the background designs are by far the worst in my opinion. I'm also not too keen on the Aussie kit which they put in the top 7. Big fan of the New Zealand and Ivory Coast strips. Pity they're unlikely to be around for too long ;)

@Kopstar I'd say the furthest you could go is the 2nd round but I hope you spring a surprise. I've always had a soft spot for the Socceroos.

Onto a different completely obscure non-football related topic, I'd like to introduce you to one of the more controversial aspects of the World Cup in South Africa, the vuvuzela. These instruments provide the backing track to which the Bafana Bafana perform and when played together, sound like a hoard of angry bees. They were out in force at the Confederations Cup shown here before the hosts' match against Brazil.

wCbP-iZb0D8

It's played very much like a brass instrument (I myself play trumpet) and the name could originate from the native isiZulu for "making noise". Quite appropriate huh :P The controversy arose during the Confederations Cup where some players such as Xabi Alonso claimed it hindered their concentration. FIFA refused the ban as the vuvuzela is an important part of South African football culture and has been mass produced for 10 years in the team colours of clubs such as Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs. There's more information in the following video and if you'd like to purchase one for your World Cup trip or to annoy friends and family click for the main supplier here.

SrYb9qtO8OQ

About the shirts..

I think the Portuguese shirt is not so bad.. :o looks like more a drum of Castrol..

castrol2.jpg

In my opinion the best 5 jerseys are: 1st) Spain away; 2nd) Australia away 3rd) Germany home 4th) Mexico away 5th) Netherlands home

the poorest were: 1st) Both of Uruguay, a beige jersey is more for a sport like Yoga and not for an active sport like football.. :S 2nd) Ivory Coast away; 3rd) Ghana away; 4th) Slovenia away. Is that an electro cardiogram or a Charlie Brown shirt?; 5th) Honduras home.

Also not liked the France home, are they super heros like Wolverine? :confused: the Puma's kits were all awfull.. :rolleyes:

This thread will get taken down:D:p

Why so? I was hoping to create something a bit different to the World Cup threads already in circulation and offer a kind of alternative guide to the competition. That is clear in the first post. It's not my fault people have started to talk about the actual football. Tsch :rolleyes:

so sorry. back to title.

Akon to sing the WC themes song???:D

http://hiphop.popcrunch.com/akon-world-cup-2010-theme-song/

That's what I'm after :P

I found this comment particularly endearing ;)

“If David Beckham said he wanted to contribute musically' date=' I’d advise him not to. He’d definitely be better off playing. It doesn’t work when athletes try to become musicians.”[/quote']

There's a video of the song below. I quite like it despite the embarrassingly bad lyrics B)

j28P_NxNUAU

I notice all you English (and other nationalities) are gearing up for the World Cup - whilst us Scottish are getting our 'Anyone But England' t-shirts out.....

Maybe it's time that Scotland started to shout about their own achievements

DOUBLE WORLD CUP WINNERS*

Put that in your World Cup pipe :D

*Elephant Polo

I notice all you English (and other nationalities) are gearing up for the World Cup - whilst us Scottish are getting our 'Anyone But England' t-shirts out.....

Maybe it's time that Scotland started to shout about their own achievements

DOUBLE WORLD CUP WINNERS*

Put that in your World Cup pipe :D

*Elephant Polo

Actually Ian' date=' Scotland lead the way in the Unofficial Football World Championships. This is a system whereby the title switches hands whenever the current holder loses and the victor takes the crown. Scotland and England are some way ahead of the chasing pack due to all the home internationals before other countries felt the need to join in and the current holders are the Netherlands after they beat Sweden, who beat Hungary, who beat Greece, who beat Turkey... Points are gained by winning matches against or as current champions. The overall rankings are here:

UFWC Rankings Table to 01/10/09

1 SCOTLAND 86

2 ENGLAND 74

3 ARGENTINA 50

4 RUSSIA 41

5 NETHERLANDS 39

6 BRAZIL 29

7 GERMANY 27

7 ITALY 27

9 SWEDEN 26

10 FRANCE 25

and you can find a link to the UWFC website here.

Anyone who can sweep up THAT fast must be considered wife material regardless of their looks :D

ROFL :D

Anyway - bet you never heard of Eve Muirhead?

Exception that proves the rule ;) If we're going to take the thread down that road then I'm gutted Sweden didn't qualify for the World Cup :(

swedish_football_girls-500x376.jpg

Thank God for the ever-present Brazil ;)

brazilian-soccer-fan.jpg

Why so? I was hoping to create something a bit different to the World Cup threads already in circulation and offer a kind of alternative guide to the competition. That is clear in the first post. It's not my fault people have started to talk about the actual football. Tsch :rolleyes:

I put a World Cup thread up and it got removed straight off,even though your's is different I still thought it would have got took down tbh.

Exception that proves the rule ;) If we're going to take the thread down that road then I'm gutted Sweden didn't qualify for the World Cup :(

Thank God for the ever-present Brazil ;)

brazilian-soccer-fan.jpg

Sweden in the Elephant Polo World Cup???

WIth nations such as Scotland' date=' England, Ireland and Germany competing against Nepal & India I don't think there is any scope to include Sweden....

...after all, when did you last see people riding elephants in the streets of Goteberg lol

[b']EDIT[/b] my typing is atrocious

I had a great time with the Swedish fans in Nuremberg at the last WC. They like banter, they make noise, oh, and some of them look rather bloody good also.. The quality of beaver on show will be much poorer for their non qualification. Fools.

Good Morning children and welcome to your Afrikaans lesson :D

Today we will be learning a basic greeting in Afrikaans :D

"Good Day" is "Gooie Daag"

"How are you?" is "Hoe gaan dit met jou"

The "G" in "gaan" is pronuounced more as a "K" so it sounds like "khan" and the "jou" is pronounced more as "yo"

So a nice greeting would be "Gooie daag, hoe gaan dit met jou?" which can be shortened to "hoe gaan dit".

Those of a Dutch persuasion may recognise the similarity :D

There will be a test early next week.

PS I do actually speak very limited Afrikaans :D