The Leamington Invitational Official Thread

Re: The Leamington Invitational Official Thread

DIVISION ONE

Notts County 1 - 0 Wrexham

Razza leads his County side to the top of the league with a Clint Julius goal the difference between these high flyers. County also had to hang on for 34minutes playing with ten men but Byres side couldnt find a way through.Notts County have 20points and lead the league by two, whilst Wrexham sit third.

Torquay United 3 - 2 Aldershot

SoP's Aldershot give away top spot after leading this game two nil after an hour of play. Mighty Gull's United hit back with three goals in twelve minutes for an impressive comeback and keeps there undefeated run of six games going. The win puts United into 4th whilst Aldershot drop to 2nd.

Queensland Roar 3 - 1 Hibernians FC Paola

In the battle between runners up and champions from last season, the runners up were victorious at home. Both sides not showing the form that had them battleing for the title last season with Kevs side now in 5th and Hibs dropping to 8th.

Crawley Town 4 - 3 Gretna

Wolfcatts Gretna were unlucky not to take a point from this game with RobbieM's Crawley. Both sides have shown good form of late with Wolfcatt picking Gretna out of trouble and into a midtable position. RobbieM has done a great job at Crawley who were tipped for relegation in the first season and are still surviving in 9th place.

Newcastle United Jets 3 - 0 Central Coast Mariners

Another team who came close to the title last season was Adams Jets but a poor start this season has them in now in 7th after this win and ten points off the top. A second half strong performance with a double strike from Dos Santos made this win the Jets best at home. Oobees Mariners sit above the drop zone in 10th position.

Wellington Phoenix 3 - 0 Peterborough United

Battle of the bottom two saw the Legends Phoenix record an important win and there first of the season over a Peterborough side who may not survive if they dont find a manager soon. Claudio Costa struck twice for last seasons promoted side on the road to victory and they now need two points to go above the Mariners.

1 Notts County

--------------------

2 Aldershot

3 Wrexham

4 Torquay United

5 Queensland Roar

6 Gretna

7 Newcastle United Jets

8 Hibernians FC Paola (champions)

9 Crawley Town

10 Central Coast Mariners

-----------------------------

11 Wellington Phoenix

12 Peterborough Utd

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Leamington Invitational Official Thread Two on the Trot for Posh! 3 - 2 Posh recorded their second straight win with this 3-2 victory over a determined Grays Athletic. Gerard Piq

Re: The Leamington Invitational OfficCial Thread Crawley Town 2-0 Gretna. Gretna were sent home without anything after a fairly impressive performance from the home side earned them a 3 point l

Turn 2 (Thu 25th Oct) Arbroath 0 - 3 Adelaide United United finish with nine men but still have enough to gain three points on there charge back to D2. Cowdenbeath 0 - 1 Perth Glory Glory get f

LEAMINGTON CUP ROUND THREE

FACup_2_L.jpg

(D1)Wellington Phoenix 1 - 1 Bristol Rovers(D2)

The holders crash out on penalties and a new name will be on the cup this season. The Legend Nellers Phoenix look to secure a trophy this season as they struggle in the league.

(D1)Central Coast Mariners 1 - 2 Exeter City(D2)

Georges Exeter book a place in the next round at Oobees expense. Exeter claim a division one scalp with goals from Lita and Yamase. The Mariners reply came early after the first goal when Mrdja netted.

(D2)Raith Rovers 0 - 1 Sliema Wanderers(D3)

Sliemas recent good run of form in the league saw them take it into the cup also as they knocked out Raith of division two. Frasers side played poorly despite home advantage and a goal from Anonam put Wanderers through.

(D3)Northwich Victoria 4 - 3 Aldershot(D1)

Possibly the result of the round and not because they are my side but the vics knocked out the then top team of the setup. Aldershot came to the D3 leaders and in a seven goal thriller were beaten by two goals each for Mayman and Latapy. A Michael Malcom hattrick not enough for the shots.

(D1)Crawley Town 1 - 1 Hibernians FC Paola(D1)

Robbie M's side had to come from behind and then win on penalties to book a place in the next round. Bobos Hibs took an early first half lead through Hasek which lasted untill the 64th minute when Chris Sutton levelled. The sides couldnt be seperated so penalties decided it with Crawley the victors.

(D1)Wrexham 4 - 0 East Fife(D3)

Lee Brynes Wrexham made light work of there lower league opposition easily beating managerless East Fife. The visitors never looked in this game and with goals from Osei SANKOFA, Stefan SCHWOCH(2) , Aleksandr PRUDNIKOV Wrexham booked there place in the last eight.

(D2)Sydney FC 5 - 0 Birkirkara(D2)

These sides may be in the same division but in this game they were leagues apart as Sydney waltzed through against managerless Birkirkara. Neller SNR's side made it too the last eight with goals from CELSINHO , Bruno DE OLIVEIRA , Sasha IAKOVENKO , Anthony STOKES and Danny GUTHRIE.

(D1)Torquay United 1 - 1 Stirling Albion(D2)

Another division one side bit the dust with Stirling knocking out Torquay on penalties. Mighty Gulls side took a first half lead which they held untill six minutes before time. David O'Brian equalised and probably knocked the stuffing out the host who then went out in the lottery.

LEAMINGTON CUP QUARTER FINALS

FACup_2_L.jpg

(D2)Stirling Albion vs Sliema Wanderers(D3)

Sliema have had a good run getting to the last eight but Stirling with home advantage should book there place in the semis.

(D2)Sydney FC vs Wrexham(D1)

Both sides challenged for promotion last season with Wrexham obviously edging it. However Sydney will want revenge in this game and may cause an upset over the Welsh side who are doing ok thus far in D1.

(D1)Wellington Phoenix vs Crawley Town(D1)

Crawley must again face division one opposition this time with Wellington. Both sides may look to the cup for success this season and this match will be too close to call. Crawley perhaps on penalties in my view.

(D2)Exeter City vs Northwich Victoria(D3)

One of two division three sides left, my Northwich will be hoping to add another scalp to there belts at Georges expense. Exeter will be making sure they dont slip up and wont give the vics an easy time, i must stay confidant though so away win:) .

Good luck to Colin, John, Alan, Lee, Legend, Robbie, Goerge and myself as we all look to add silverware to our trophy cabinets.

Sorry i am very happy with them no swaps' date='so lets leave it at that please because i wont change my mind.:)[/quote']

im sure you will consider i can offer you juventus come 1st in division 2 all good players still there plus i bought beckham RONALDO, Luis JANSEN, Marcell or barcelona but this i will trade for 2 teams ive bought rooney buffon drogba cocu RONALDO, Luis VILLA, David TERRY, John ronaldinho and etto still there

(D2)Exeter City vs Northwich Victoria(D3)

One of two division three sides left' date=' my Northwich will be hoping to add another scalp to there belts at Georges expense. Exeter will be making sure they dont slip up and wont give the vics an easy time, i must stay confidant though so away win:) [/quote']

Good luck to you also :) It has to be said though, Exeter are producing their best performances in the cup this season ;)..................I've just gone and blown it now haven't I :(

im sure you will consider i can offer you juventus come 1st in division 2 all good players still there plus i bought beckham RONALDO' date=' Luis JANSEN, Marcell or barcelona but this i will trade for 2 teams ive bought rooney buffon drogba cocu RONALDO, Luis VILLA, David TERRY, John ronaldinho and etto still there[/quote']

Mate, I think a no MEANS a no...

im sure you will consider i can offer you juventus come 1st in division 2 all good players still there plus i bought beckham RONALDO' date=' Luis JANSEN, Marcell or barcelona but this i will trade for 2 teams ive bought rooney buffon drogba cocu RONALDO, Luis VILLA, David TERRY, John ronaldinho and etto still there[/quote']

Plus you would have to get past me as the setup is passworded and i might not want you in it, so stop asking and spamming up my thread which is for match reports. Thanks.

Exeter City 0 - 1 Bristol Rovers

Exeter were definitely the underdogs for this game, with Paul's Bristol Rovers on fire this season.

However, Exeter gave a spirited performance, and only conceded a single goal despite Rovers smacking them in everywhere else.

Exeter down to 6th, but there's still a long way to go yet.

George said ' Congrats to Paul and his Rovers, they played well and probably deserved to win. However, I'm not that disappointed as we only conceded one goal against the highest scorers in the league. I have to admit, Paul's side definitely look like getting promoted this year, they are playing fantastic. '

DIVISION THREE

Perth Glory 3 - 2 Forest Green

Southport 1 - 5 Burton Albion

Alloa Athletic 3 - 1 Rushden & Diamonds

East Fife 0 - 2 Sliema Wanderers

Northwich Victoria 4 - 1 Grays Athletic

Arbroath 1 - 0 Cowdenbeath

Pos Pts

1 Northwich Victoria 23 (leamingtonsteve)

2 Alloa Athletic 19 (gordon mccubbing)

-------------------------------------

3 Perth Glory 19 (sambaseballfurie)

4 Sliema Wanderers 19 (john gordon)

5 Burton Albion 16 (U/M)

6 Forest Green 16 (ryan delf)

7 Southport 13 (U/M)

8 Cowdenbeath 10 (bryan adamson)

9 Rushden & Diamonds 9 (U/M)

10 Grays Athletic 8 (U/M)

11 Arbroath 4 (U/M)

-----------------------------------

12 East Fife 0 (U/M)

DIVISION TWO

Sydney FC 2 - 3 Stirling Albion

Morecambe 1 - 0 Raith Rovers

Dagenham & Redbridge 0 - 1 Stafford Rangers

Exeter City 0 - 1 Bristol Rovers

Albion Rovers 9 - 0 Tamworth

Adelaide United 3 - 0 Birkirkara

Pos Pts

1 Bristol Rovers 24 (paul thame)

2 Albion Rovers 18 (grant thame)

-----------------------

3 Morecambe 18 (mark stapley)

4 Stirling Albion 16 (colin barker)

5 Sydney FC 16 (alan neller SNR)

6 Exeter City 15 (george)

7 Stafford Rangers 14 (ivan sakoman)

8 Raith Rovers 11 (fraser mcinnnes)

9 Adelaide United 10 (U/M)

10 Tamworth 8 (richard worsley)

-----------------------

11 Dagenham & Redbridge 7 (U/M)

12 Birkirkara 0 (U/M)

DIVISION ONE

Wellington Phoenix 1 - 2 Queensland Roar

Wrexham 2 - 1 Hibernians FC Paola

Gretna 2 - 1 Newcastle United Jets

Aldershot 2 - 2 Notts County

Peterborough Utd 0 - 3 Crawley Town

Central Coast Mariners 0 - 7 Torquay United

Pos Pts

1 Notts County 21 (razza)

----------------------

2 Aldershot 19 (sonofpluto)

3 Wrexham 19 (lee byrne)

4 Torquay United 18 (mighty gull)

5 Queensland Roar 17 (kev d)

6 Gretna 13 (wolfcatt)

7 Crawley Town 13 (robbiem)

8 Newcastle United Jets 10 (adam avfc)

9 Hibernians FC Paola 10 (bobo)

10 Central Coast Mariners 7 (oobee)

-------------------------

11 Wellington Phoenix 5 (legend neller)

12 Peterborough Utd 0 (U/M)

LEAGUE CUP QUARTER FINALS

FACup_2_L.jpg

Stirling Albion(D2) 1 - 1 Sliema Wanderers(D3)

Sliema continue to carry the flag for the D3 division as the only team now left in from that far down. Wanderers had to do it on penalties but were worthy winners nonetheless after spending nearly all game with ten men.

Sydney FC(D2) 2 - 0 Wrexham(D1)

Neller SNR's side booked a place in the last four winning over Wrexham with two second half goals. Van Hooijdonk and Radkovich did the bizz as the D2 side look to try and win silverware for the first time.

Wellington Phoenix(D1) 1 - 1 Crawley Town(D1)

Phoenix are now the only D1 side left in the cpmpetition and must now be the favourites for the cup. They had to beat Crawley in the shootout as both sides ended the game with ten men. Theo Walcotts opener for the home side was cancelled out by Paul Bosvelts second half strike.

Exeter City(D2) 2 - 1 Northwich Victoria(D3)

Northwich's dream of cup glory ended at Saint James Park as Georges Exeter progress to the last four. The Vics took the lead through a early goal by Navas. Leroy Lita proved a handfull all game and levelled on 27. Jo Tessams great goalscoring form continued as he scored to send Exeter through.

LEAGUE CUP SEMI FINAL DRAW

FACup_2_L.jpg

Sydney FC(D2) vs Wellington Phoenix(D1)

Its Neller vs Neller as the Aussie sides meet to decide who goes into the final. Phoenix are struggling in the lead but are enjoying a good cup run whereas Sydney are mid table in D2. This will be a close game with both sides fairly evenly matched, i wouldnt want to call it.

Exeter City(D2) vs Sliema Wanderers(D3)

Georges side entertain another D3 opponent in Sliema. Sliema will be no easy task as they are on a good run of form currently undefeated in the last six. However with home advantage and after knocking my Vics out i back George's Exeter to go all the way.

Very good luck to the Nellers, George and John your all nearly there.

DIVISION THREE

Vase_aloft_L.jpg

Burton Albion(5th) 1 - 3 Northwich Victoria(1st)

Northwich continue there unbeaten start to the season now with ten games under there belt. A four point lead over second as goals from Dani, Weston and Latapy keep them ahead of the pack.

Forest Green(6th) 0 - 2 Alloa Atletic(2nd)

Alloa continue the chase with a away victory over Forest Green. An early goal from Rueban Reid and a late goal from Erdem Can for his 5th of the season picking up all three points for the visitors.

Sliema Wanderers(3rd) 5 - 1 Arbroath(11th)

John Gordon has turned Sliema's fortunes around since taking over at the Maltese club. A great run has seen them upto third and still in the cup and this game only made them more unstoppable. A five one thrashing of Arbroath makes them hopefull of breaking into the top two.

Grays Athletic(10th) 2 - 2 Perth Glory(4th)

Sams Perth slipped to fourth after being held by lowly Grays. Still in with a shot of promotion they fought back from behind to lead the game till the final minute when Grays snatched a draw.

Cowdenbeath(7th) 1 - 0 Southport(8th)

Bryans on off Cowdenbeath lifted themselves above Southport after this game to sit in the middle of the table. A Scott Dalziel goal on 74minutes sending most of the half full Central Park into a frenzy.

Rushden and Diamonds(9th) 0 - 0 East Fife(12th)

East Fife gained there first point of the season after a bleak goalless draw with Rushden. Not much excitement in this game with both sides needing some guidance as they sit in the bottom half of the league.

TOP SCORER

Jamie Slabber - Grays Athletic - 8goals

TOP ASSISTER

Dani - Northwich Victoria - 7assists

TOP MOM

Archie Thompson - Perth Glory - 7mom

slabber_jamie.jpgArchie_m1352780.jpg

Top scorer Grays forward Jamie Slabber and Perths Archie Thompson who has D3's most MOM.

DIVISION TWO

0,,10794~2888713,00.jpg

Bristol Rovers(1st) 2 - 0 Adelaide United(9th)

Pauls Rovers carry on there march towards division one as they remain six points ahead of the pack. The old legs of striker Louis Bonnet continue to score goals and two in this game took him to 12 for the season.

Stafford Rangers(8th) 0 - 2 Albion Rovers(2nd)

Pauls closest rival comes in the shape of his own brother Grant who's Albion lie second and head the chase. A two nil win over Stafford after goals from Edilson and Nakayama giving them the win over Ivans Stafford who drop a place to 8th.

Birkirkara(12th) 1 - 3 Morecambe(3rd)

Morecambe are hoping for a second successive promotion as Marks side continue to chase following a win over rock bottom Birkirkara. Gerritsen and two for Pembridge had done the damage before the home sides faint hope when Ciantar scored but with no points on the board and nine from safety, it looks like the Maltese side are doomed already.

Stirling Albion(4th) 1 - 0 Exeter City(6th)

Both these sides took part in the cup earlier in the week with Exeter the happier of the two. In the league tho it will be Colin who is smiling as his side stay 4th and keep tabs on another promotion. Promoted last season along with Morecambe they trail the second placed team by two points. Luton Shelton scoring in the second half.

Tamworth(10th) 0 - 0 Sydney FC(5th)

Tamworth are looking a revamped side since Richard took over and although still waiting for a first win they gave visitors Sydney a tough game. Tamworth will be looking to survival this season after relegation from D1 but Sydneys promotion hopes took a blast from this result leaving them four points off the pace.

Raith Rovers(7th) 2 - 1 Dagenham and Redbridge(11th)

Frasers side should of had a more comfortable game than the scoreline suggests after looking at the stats, but they made hard work and had to come from behind to beat lowly Dagenham. The visitors made a good start and against the run of play took a lead into the break. Raith made a better show of things in the second and two goals in four minutes gave them a much needed win.

TOP SCORER

Luis Bonnet - Bristol Rovers - 12goals

TOP ASSISTER

Luis Bonnet - Bristol Rovers - 8assists

TOP MOM

Luis Bonnet - Bristol Rovers - 6mom

_42975385_igoe416300.jpg

Luis Bonnet complets a clean sweep as the best player in D2 currently heading all charts.

DIVISION TWO

Bristol Rovers(1st) 2 - 0 Adelaide United(9th)

Pauls Rovers carry on there march towards division one as they remain six points ahead of the pack. The old legs of striker Louis Bonnet continue to score goals and two in this game took him to 12 for the season.

Stafford Rangers(8th) 0 - 2 Albion Rovers(2nd)

Pauls closest rival comes in the shape of his own brother Grant who's Albion lie second and head the chase. A two nil win over Stafford after goals from Edilson and Nakayama giving them the win over Ivans Stafford who drop a place to 8th.

Birkirkara(12th) 1 - 3 Morecambe(3rd)

Morecambe are hoping for a second successive promotion as Marks side continue to chase following a win over rock bottom Birkirkara. Gerritsen and two for Pembridge had done the damage before the home sides faint hope when Ciantar scored but with no points on the board and nine from safety, it looks like the Maltese side are doomed already.

Stirling Albion(4th) 1 - 0 Exeter City(6th)

Both these sides took part in the cup earlier in the week with Exeter the happier of the two. In the league tho it will be Colin who is smiling as his side stay 4th and keep tabs on another promotion. Promoted last season along with Morecambe they trail the second placed team by two points. Luton Shelton scoring in the second half.

Tamworth(10th) 0 - 0 Sydney FC(5th)

Tamworth are looking a revamped side since Richard took over and although still waiting for a first win they gave visitors Sydney a tough game. Tamworth will be looking to survival this season after relegation from D1 but Sydneys promotion hopes took a blast from this result leaving them four points off the pace.

Raith Rovers(7th) 2 - 1 Dagenham and Redbridge(11th)

Frasers side should of had a more comfortable game than the scoreline suggests after looking at the stats, but they made hard work and had to come from behind to beat lowly Dagenham. The visitors made a good start and against the run of play took a lead into the break. Raith made a better show of things in the second and two goals in four minutes gave them a much needed win.

TOP SCORER

Luis Bonnet - Bristol Rovers - 12goals

TOP ASSISTER

Luis Bonnet - Bristol Rovers - 8assists

TOP MOM

Luis Bonnet - Bristol Rovers - 6mom

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42975000/jpg/_42975385_igoe416300.jpg' alt='_42975385_igoe416300.jpg'>

Luis Bonnet complets a clean sweep as the best player in D2 currently heading all charts.

Bristol Rovers striker Luis Bonnet is keeping modest despite high praise from critics, saying it's down to what happens on the day that counts. However, he is very surprised to be leading the assists chart.

"As a striker, not many people would expect me to be setting up as many goals as I am,"said Bonnet in an interview.

"The team's doing well at the moment, we've been very consistant all season, we have had a couple of blips, thanks mainly to the two Nellers, apart from that, I couldn't of asked for more. With Albion Rovers behind us, promotion is all but assured," said a confident Bristol Rovers manager.

The team have also been speaking out at the teams below them.

"I might only be a loanee at the Memorial Stadium, but the boss is counting on me as a key player to keep the teams below us at bay. I only see two teams as a threat below us, that would be Albion Rovers and Sydney FC. The others I feel do not have what it takes to worry us," said Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Rovers are announcing that they will not be buying any new players this season, due to only having just over a million in the balance.

DIVISION ONE

PremiershipTrophy_L.jpg

Notts County(1st) 4 - 0 Central Coast Mariners(10th)

The leaders were in fine form this game and Razzas side increase there lead at the top of D1 to four points. The goals flew in with a pair in each half leaving Oobees Mariners thoroughly dejected. They are just surviving again after a battle last season and are six points behind 9th.

Queensland Roar(2nd) 4 - 0 Wrexham(4th)

In a battle between two of the chasers Queensland impressed with a fourth consecutive win to climb into second and takeover Aldershot and Wrexham. It was the Roars best and Wrexhams worst result in there short historys. Four goals in the second half after Wrexham were reduced to ten won the game which could of been different if both sides ended with eleven men.

Hibernians FC Paola(9th) 2 - 0 Aldershot(3rd)

The champions may be of the pace this season but they dealt a blow to one of the hopefulls as they defeated Aldershot. The shots lost a man on 14minutes which possibly turned the game on its heels. Hibs took the lead on 35 with Fagner, the game was killed off on 73 through Aban.

Torquay United(5th) 1 - 5 Gretna(6th)

Torquay boss The Mighty Gull may have been left shell shocked from this result as Gretna made sure there chances counted by putting away all five. It was also Torquays worst defeat at home and ended there run of games without defeat. Bruno Gama's opener for the home side on 3 was soon forgotton about as Gretna went in at the break four one up. A last goal on 62 ended any possiblility of a comeback.

Crawley Town(7th) 1 - 1 Wellington Phoenix(11th)

Crawley are becoming the draw specialists of D1 after there 5th draw of the season. They have only lost two the same number of second spot but need to start turning draws into wins. Expected to go down last season they proved the critics wrong(me!) and are now established in this league. They took a battering from Phoenix but stayed solid and both sides settled for a point.

Newcastle United Jets(8th) 3 - 1 Peterborough United(12th)

Adams Jets knocked another nail in Peterboroughs coffin even with only ten games played, Peterborough need seven points to catch the safety area, however with no points from the first thirty its hard to see where any will come from. All four goals in this game came in the first half with Varney and two for Pato scoring for the Jets and a reply from Uniteds Butcher leaving the second period to peter out.

TOP SCORER

Lerato Chabangu - Gretna - 9goals

TOP ASSISTER

Matt Derbyshire - Aldershot - 8assists

TOP MOM

Jesus Datolo - Queensland Roar - 3mom

_43021555_lerato_chabangu_203.jpgderbyshire-v-liv373.jpg

The top men in the setups top league. Chabangu, Derbyshire and Datolo all on fine form currently.

Birkirkara lose there first game under the leadership off Shel, also with many tranfer deals falling through it looks unlikly they will remain in the 2nd tier of the Leamington Invitational League with tam worth now 12 ahead + better goals difference.

Birkirkara lost out 7 goals to 1 at home infront of just over 13k at Ta quali.

When asked about his plan for the club Shel stated:

I wont be spending much this season or even next season if we get relegated instead he plans for long term investment of the club & to make it more atractive for 80+ players to join ranks with the maltese outfit.

The fans Club responed with a statement of Encouragement for Shels as they believe he has what it takes to take the club up the level 1 in the forseeable future.

:Maltese Islander:

13 June 2007

Early Edition

Birkirkara Anounce New Signings:

Football Side Birkirkara have anounced & followed in the Footsteps of Local Rivals Silema & Hibernian by signing 4 Non Maltese nationals which Include 3 Europeans & a South American to the Island.

Adam Rooney an Irish Underage International & Cousin of Manchester-United Star Wayne Rooney & had impressed several english Premier League & champioship managers & has arrived Via Northern England from Stoke City & Iassc Osbourne has also arrived this time from The English Midlands from Club Coventry City FC.

Rooney is An attacking Player while Osbourne is thaught of more as a defensive midfield type player.A players Is also on his way from South America & Albania & we will have More info on them & Rooney + Osbourne in the later edition of the Paper.

The Maltese Islander is Proud Sleave Sponsers of Birkirkara,Silema & Hibernians Football Clubs

Shelbourne FC

Bristol Rovers players are looking upbeat at the next set of fixtures, into the run up to the big game against rivals Albion Rovers.

'We're not too worried about our fixture list until we hit Albion Rovers on the fifth of July, we have games with Raith Rovers tonight, then we're away to Birkirkara, we're back home to Stirling Albion afterwards, then an away tie to whipping boys Tamworth. A home tie with Stafford Rangers and an away tie to Dagenham and Redbridge leaves us, hopefully, with promotion already sealed by the time we face the trifecta of Albion Rovers, Sydney FC and Exeter City. Those games are crucial to us, and the manager is counting on me and Henrik to score plenty more goals,' said top scorer Luis Bonnet through a translator

Leamington Invitational Cup Semi Final

FACup_2_L.jpg

Sydney FC(D2) 2 - 6 Wellington Phoenix(D1)

In the battle of the Nellers it was Wellington manager Legend who took the SNR version to the cleaners leaving Sydney to concentrate on promotion to the top tier.

It took seven minutes for the division one side to take the lead as Mariano Bogliacino scored his first of the game. There was a long wait for the second goal which went in one 44 through Theo Walcott to give Phoenix a two nil lead at the break.

It went goal crazy in the second period with Phoenix going three up through Ozgurcan. Four nil and pretty much over, Alvaro Mejia netted. Sydney got on the scoresheet on 64 Juan Cuevas scoring the first of his two goals. The final ten minutes provided three more goals with Ozgurcan and Bogliacino, both getting there second of the game. Cuevas scoring the final goal too little too late.

Exeter City(D2) 0 - 3 Sliema Wanderers(D3)

Can Sliema cap off a superb cup run with a trophy as they booked there spot in the final at Exeters expense.

Gheorghe Florescu took five minutes to put the visitors ahead. This was added to on 37 when Dejan Petkovic edged the Maltese side a step closer to the SM International stadium.

The result confirmed for Sliema as Ueslei found the net to send the Wanderers support wild.

LEAMINGTON INVITATIONAL CUP FINAL

19th JUNE 2007

SLIEMA WANDERERS vs WELLINGTON PHOENIX

:Maltese Islander:

15 June 2007

Early Edition

Birkirkara Bite The Bullet

Birkirkara Have Lost yet again in the leamington Invitational, Biting the bullet so to speak but all thats left now is for the gun to explode in there face.Harsh words perhaps but fully justified a 4-1 deafeat away at Stirling Albion seems to sent Birkirkara to lower league football next season,The only Q that needs to be answer'd now is wether Silema will be there with them, they drew 1-1 at Ta Quali to fellow title & promotion chasers Perth Glory of Australia, If Silema have any ambitions of playing 2nd tier football next seaosn they have to start winning these 6 pointers at home. Meanwhile Hibernians seem to be having no such trouble in the top slight as they trashed Peterborough United 6-1 in San Paolo 6 different goal scorers on the Charts in that game for Hibs

The Maltese Islander is Proud Sleave Sponsers of Birkirkara,Silema & Hibernians Football Clubs

Shelbourne FC

Incase yis were wondering were the Evening Edition of the 13 June went i acidently edited for what i wrote up above & saved it. So i Copied & Pasted it to a new post then deleted the 13/ june Evening message/15 june early edition ( not happy)

Bristol Evening Post

Rovers do a double over Raith:

Bristol Rovers secure a league double over Fraser McInnes' Raith Rovers, beating them 3-1 in a repeat scoreline from the first game of the season, when the two teams last met. Bristol Rovers opened the scoring on the 9th minute when top scorer Luis Bonnet hit the net with a cleverly finished goal. Rovers made it two when, on the 24th minute, defender Karel Rada poaches a goal after a long range effort was blocked by Raith goalkeeper Andrew McNeil. A third goal for Rovers followed on the 37th minute after a defensive error allowed the 'Swedish Stallion', Henrik Larsson hit the net, leaving McNeil a bit red-faced and annoyed with the goalkeeper. Raith did pull one back on the 89th minute after Togolese striker Emmanuel Adebayor headed the ball past a rock-solid Alberto Fontana.

Rovers 'not worried'

In a small interview after the Raith game, Bristol Rovers manager Paul Thame had this to say.

'Our next game, home to Maltese side Birkirkara will not be a worry at all. We're so confident, our NMF players will be rested for the game. We'll still give 100% no matter what team we put on the field'