The Leamington Invitational Official Thread

Re: The Leamington Invitational Official Thread

johnstones_paints_football_trophy.jpg

838.gifCrawley Town 2-0 Queensland Roar566.gif

"Finally..."

With 20 games gone and 2 left, it all came down to this game. Notts County, Bristol Rovers and Queensland Roar all could have moved top and this clearly put a lot of pressure on Crawley Town.

Having lost their last 2 games, Crawley opted to change their formation and after 13 minutes it payed off. Antonio Filippini was in the right place at the right time, poking it in past two defenders.

Bizarrely, The Roar seemed reluctant to attack afterwards but when they began to create a few chances, Pazzini picked up on a big defensive mistake to make it 2-0 going in at half time.

In the second half the visitors sprung to life but still couldn't find a way through the Crawley defence leaving themselves with no hope for the title.

With a 3 point gap and 10+ goal difference over Bristol Rovers the club will only have to wait till Thursday where they'll surely be crowned the champions for the first time and in Tony's first season in charge.

w_hahnemann_195.jpgalan_stubbs.jpg4151.jpghamann_to_wander.jpgGiampaolo_Pazzini_573947.jpgmontella250.jpg

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Leamington Invitational Official Thread Two on the Trot for Posh! 3 - 2 Posh recorded their second straight win with this 3-2 victory over a determined Grays Athletic. Gerard Piq

Re: The Leamington Invitational OfficCial Thread Crawley Town 2-0 Gretna. Gretna were sent home without anything after a fairly impressive performance from the home side earned them a 3 point l

Turn 2 (Thu 25th Oct) Arbroath 0 - 3 Adelaide United United finish with nine men but still have enough to gain three points on there charge back to D2. Cowdenbeath 0 - 1 Perth Glory Glory get f

769.gif

Raith face must win game against 2nd place Sydney!

Raith Rovers sit second to bottom in the second division and only a win can pull them out of there! Although Sydney will want to win this game to make sure of there promotion. Raith manager Steven Barnes said " I cant fault the lads for there effort, i have only just recently took over here and i can see an improvement, i believe we can win this game, we need to, we will go out there and give it our all!"

Bottom Of Division 2

10.Central Coast Mariners 24

-------------------------

11.Raith Rovers 22

12.Stirling Albion 16

Guest the plummer

Arbroath

Not the best of seasons for arbroath but still an improvement from last year. The first half never went to great but the second went excellent.

Many says that arbroath woudlve ame bottom as they have in prevuios years but no the reached thier goal of seond bottom.

Spence started with 22 million and an average rating of 69 but now his average rating is up to 78 with 21.4 million in the bag. Many say he is a genuis.

FirstHalf.jpg

Secondahalf.jpg

6 Games in-charge of Rushden & Diamonds conceded 14 scored 2 5 loses 1 draw all I have to say bring on next season and I hate the previous manager of R&D he bought garbage left me in-debt. One game left I'll be happy if we score nevermind win.

Birks Defeat Rivals But Fail To Win promotion

Despite An Absolutly Amazing End Of Season Run & A Last Day Win Over Rival Silema, Birkirkara Have Failed In There Promotion Attempt On Goal Difference.

Shels Has Stated That He Is Unlikly To Strenghten His Squad & Will Be Looking To Rid Of A Few Players.

7009.jpg

Champions bolster their attack.

Crawley have broke their club record for highest transfer fee paid with the capture of Robert Acquafresca. After Peterborough failed to earn promotion the 20 year old made it clear he needed the move but when Posh put a 5.9m transfer tag on him, most of the clubs who were interested became reluctant to sign him. However, the league 1 winners propped up with the cash and now Tony can relax knowing that he has his new Italian partnership, Pazzini - Acquafresca.

Future Plans???

Tony shocked a few people yesterday when he revealed that he was close to leaving Crawley. Tony has only had a season at the club and with a season left on his contract, he has now promised to see it out.

"When you win a trophy and after celebrating it's difficult to go back to work. There was a stage when I felt there wasn't much more for me to do at Crawley but it's clear now that another season of success is important for the fans, players and now me. Seeing the Peterborough job available was attractive for me and hopefully at the end of next season, I could leave Crawley to manage my home town. No other club will ever tempt me away from here."

1931.gif

Season Review

Very sad season for Stirling that see's them relegated back to league 3 after having 3 good season's in league 2

Player Of The Season

3102.jpg

Juan Pena

Young Player Of The Season

Samsonov.jpg

Oleg Samsonov

Top Goal Scorerl

dickov_paul_mcfc_profile_2006.jpg

Paul Dickov

Managers Future

With Peterborough hoping to appiont Colin has there new manager

Colin had this to say

Iv been at Stirling now for 4 seasons and had some good times winning promotion to league 2 and just missing out by 1 point for a place in league 1 but the offer from Peterborough is a very good one so iv got a lot to think about

7315.jpg16295_news.jpgcigarini_luc.jpg

Crawley sign B-B-C.

Claudio Bellucci, Marco Borriello and Luca Cigarini completed their move from Italy to Crawley this morning for a combined amount of 9 million pounds. Crawley did however let Vicenzo Montella rejoin his former club Sampdoria due to the lack of games he expects he'll play and was used in exchange for Bellucci.

Tony said, "We've spent 9m on the 3 players and I remain confident that they'll shine with us at Crawley. Borriello is still relatively young and is in my opinion a proven striker who's been underated, just like Bellucci. We'll have to wait and see whether Cigarini will live up to my high expectation but the fans should know I wouldn't break a club record just to get a mediocre player."

When walking off, Tony smiled and shrugged his shoulders when asked whether the remaining 9m is being spent on a defender.

1931.gif

Stirling start life back in league 3 by picking up a good point away at Jinky's Rushden & Diamonds

Match Highlights

R&D

1: GOAL!! - A spectacular long range shot by Ferreira BRUNO MEZENGA flies into the top corner!

31.jpg

S

28: GOAL!! - Ricardo SA PINTO finishes off a slick passing move with a clever finish!

sa_pinto_ricardo_standard.jpg

S

31: GOAL!! - A cross from the right is headed home by Roy O'DONOVAN!

0000ce6010dr.jpg

R&D

84:GOAL!! - Dave SAVAGE converts a fantastic cross with a well placed header!

savz5.jpg

Other News

In pre season 10 young players joined the club along with 2 players on loan David Nugent and Juan Bazalar

Early this morning 2 old heads joined the clubs fight for promotion Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Octavio Valdez

• 2 weeks later...

729.gif

Rushden & Diamonds

Life at Nene Park has certainly not been rosey for Jinky as after 11 games in charge of the English lower league side he is still searching for his first win.

Club Chairman Kieth Cousins has however expressed his delight at the clubs new financial standing after some wheeling and dealing in the transfer market and with the end of season Tv revenue the club is finally out of the red and have accumilated a steady bank balance.

Cousins is somewhat concerned with recent results and had this to say " I understand Jinky has put his neck on the line coming to a smaller club when much more high-profile clubs were interested but if things don't turn around soon we may have to replace him. He has done considerably well here and has got the team scoring for fun but the main problem seems to be that no matter how much we score we seem to concede just as much and this is just not acceptable."

Main Transfers In This Season

Garcia Felipe a 1.8m signing from Santos

Jorge Crespo signed 5 year contract in 1.5m deal from La Liga side Seville

Bruno Menzenga signed on at Nene park for a undisclosed fee.

Ghana International Andre Ayew put pen to paper in 1.5m deal.

Sergio Asenjo opted out of Villareal for Rushden in a 500k bargain.

18104_news.jpg

Menzenga has started his career in England brightly scoring 4 in 4.

Rushden have admitted that they are in the hunt for a cb but have yet to give any indication to whom they are going to approach.

generic_player_profile.jpg

Rushden struggling at the foot of the table

rdco9.jpg

THAT`S BETTER!!!!

Tamworth 0-3 Crawley

Tom Pham's Tamworth were swept away from a perfect performance from reigning champions, Crawley Town. Fabio Liverani got the first and in the second half Stubbs' tap in was followed by an even easier goal by Filippini.

"The people close to me and the club have been telling me to relax and not put too much pressure on the lads, the assistant Zola especially. I've realized that my expectations are high but they should be, if we lose though, I need to remain a little calmer. Sundays game is so crucial, it'll be one of the games if we win, I'll definitely rank up there as the best."

Rushden & Diamonds

rushden.gif

Rushden finally pick up their first win under current boss 'Jinky' after numerous attempts. The win may have been against unmanaged Peterbourgh but with Bourgh having a fair greater team it was still a massive feat for Rushden as they ran riot in a 4-0 demolition at Nene Park.

Goals from A.KERIC (10,84) J.BROUWER (29) and one from old head D.Savage who has stated he will retire at the end of the season on the (35th) minute was more that enough to seal the win.

The win moves Rushden up 2 8th place 6 points from the promotion place but it looks very unlikely that they be anywhere near a promotion race near the end of the season and should be looking just to stay out of the bottom 2.

In other news Rushden have captured the signature of free agent 16 year old John Fleck on a 5 year deal.

JohnFleck_LynneCameronRangersFCPAPhotos.jpg

John Fleck

The 16 year old could make his debut against Southport on Sunday

• 1 month later...

7315.jpg

(Back for tonight and a crucial time)

"Next 3 games to change!"

Unlike last season, Crawley have found it more than difficult to consistently fight for first place and have now found themselves 3rd and 6 points off top.

liverani_fab.jpg

Of course the absence of the always effective Fabio Liverani has been missed and although Tugay has stepped in as captain, not much has been done. However, Tony has recently claimed that the next 3 games could easily turn the season around and if they're to pull the "miracle" off, it'd be best to forget the majority of this season. We'll just have to wait and see.

Like he said at the beginning of the season though, his contract is nearing an end and with the constant interest from Peterborough, would Tony then decide to take another season at Crawley, if offered?

County Keep Building

After another poor start to the season - Manager Raz this week stressed his desire even further by signing 4 of the worlds young most promising starlets .

Highly Regarded Russian keeper Anton SHUNIN has joined from Dinamo Moskva with Slobodan RAKJOVIC and the ever ageing Oswaldo SANCHEZ going in the opposite direction.

Brazilian full back Antonio MARCELO has joined from Brazilian outfit Santos with Lucas NEILL, Gaeteno CALA and 500k going to Santos. Raz was unhappy with X CALA's progress and decided to exchange whilst the chance was there.

Young Dutch playmaker Ismael AISATTI has joined from Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven for a fee of 500k, with Portugese veteran Manuel RUI COSTA and the Cameroon international GEREMI going to PSV.

Last but not least...

Possibly one of the biggest transfers of the season saw World class Chilean playmaker Matias FERNANDEZ join from spanish club Villarreal with a huge sum of 7.8million pounds going to Villarreal and Apostolos ANDROUTSOS and Cristian JONATHAS both joining up with the spanish sides youth ranks. ANDROUTSOS and JONATHAS are also two others who failed to live up to the hype and were shipped out before financial loss occured.

This is a sounding message to all the clubs in division 1 as Raz prepares to build a squad capable of taking all majour honours next season.

Raz said:

" I've been pretty dissapointed with the lads considering the money we have spent on bringing them to the club. But there has been a big reaction from both board and fans after bringing these four fantastic players in.

It has been the starts to our seasons that has been letting us down and we have been giving the other sides chance to pull away and create a gap that is un-catchable.

But there is a lot of confidence running through the squad now and we are hoping for a sell out at the Meadow Lane on Sunday when Aldershot come - to see some of these greatly gifted individuals show some of their stuff.

Trophies have been hard to come by due to some of the other fantastic clubs and managers in the league - but were confident we can finish the season on a high and push on for the league and domestic honours next season."

County's squad now looks like this:

SHUNIN, Anton G 21 87 £5.9M

REYNOSO, Héctor CB 27 88 £5.3M

DOMÍNGUEZ, Julio César CB 20 88 £6.8M

THIAGO HELENO, Henrique CB 19 88 £7.0M

MARCELO , Antônio CB/RB 20 87 £6.1M

PIETERS, Erik CB/LB 19 85 £4.9M

VILLALUZ, César RM 19 88 £7.0M

NINIS, Sotiris RM/AM 17 82 £3.3M

BALTANOV, Lachezar RM/W 19 76 £809k

RAHIMIC, Elvir CM/DM 31 89 £4.2M

AISSATI, Ismaël CM/AM 19 87 £6.3M

ARAUJO, Patricio DM/CM 20 88 £6.8M

FERNANDEZ, Matías AM/LM 21 89 £7.4M

JORQUERA, Cristóbal AM/RM 19 80 £2.2M

ETXEBERRIA, Joseba W/F 30 88 £4.2M

GYGAX, Daniel W/F 26 86 £4.5M

SANCHEZ, Alexis F/AM 19 87 £6.3M

PINEDA, Jean F 19 84 £4.3M

DENTINHO, Bruno Bonfim F 19 83 £3.7M

FARKAS, Balász F 19 75 £563k

GALVAN, Martín F 15 71 £25k

VIDUKA, Mark CF 32 89 £3.8M

Not only has manager Raz built a squad capable of winning all major honours next season - but the financial future at Nottingham looks good with several players capable of providing big financial boosts either by sale or shirt revenue - the future is bright.

Many teams become available in this setup. If your looking for a different kind of challenge this could be for you. No players rated 90 or above means a competitive setup with the best forumers and players in the game. Come try and see if you have what it takes to match the current crop.

• 2 weeks later...

566.gif

ROAR WIN THEIR 2ND TITLE!!!

With two games to spare Queensland Roar have won their 2nd Leamington Ivitational title.

Manager Kev is delighted with this achievment and praises his team highly.In the history of the Leamington Invitational league we have never finished outside the top four and are thrilled to have gained our second title particullary with games to spare.

The whole team have worked as a unit this season and it is hard to pick out one outstanding player but if praise is to be given it has to go to Diego Galvan who had an incredible season on the wing.

10.jpg

He leads the Roars top scorer list getting 10 goals in 19 matches and is looking forward to a 3rd season with the Aussie club.

566.gif

ROAR WIN THEIR 2ND TITLE!!!

With two games to spare Queensland Roar have won their 2nd Leamington Ivitational title.

Manager Kev is delighted with this achievment and praises his team highly.In the history of the Leamington Invitational league we have never finished outside the top four and are thrilled to have gained our second title particullary with games to spare.

The whole team have worked as a unit this season and it is hard to pick out one outstanding player but if praise is to be given it has to go to Diego Galvan who had an incredible season on the wing.

10.jpg

He leads the Roars top scorer list getting 10 goals in 19 matches and is looking forward to a 3rd season with the Aussie club.

Congrats to you Kev' date=' the Roar i suppose Roar on. A second title in the bag. Can someone take the challenge to King Kev in season six.

2 titles - Queensland Roar

1 title - Crawley Town, Notts County, Hibernians FC Paola.[/size']

• 2 weeks later...

vill_353277a.jpg

"We'll be crowned champions!"

Crawley have wasted no time and have already spent all their transfer money, bringing in 4 new players. Shaun Maloney cost the club 7.4m, whilst Per Kroldrup was bought for a cheap 4.2m. Also joining was Zdravko Kuzmanovic for 250k + Cassetti + Villa.

kuzmanovic2.jpg

"Kuzmanovic was a great signing. We need to concentrate on winning the league so instead of buying a lot of old players to help for the cup as well, I've brought potentially our best player. Playing alongside Cigarini will be interesting and probably highly effective. Let's not forget we have D'Agostino now as well, he should be a key squad player."

Where have you been, boss?

Was the question awaiting Paul Thame when he reached his office this morning. The whole team were there, the place looked a mess. Must of left the door open.

door.jpg

Well, I said. I thought I'd take an elongated holiday.

Sunset-Beach.jpg

They, as I expected, didn't like my reaction. They complained that the assistant was a right... you know what, played the same team every week

So I had to return to a mild welcome on Thursday from the fans. Well, when I say mild...

eos_1ds_fans.jpg

Wasn't exactly the hero's welcome I expected.

With quite a fair bit of cash in the bank, I expect to push for the Division One title this season and remind y'all that I'm back... and (hopefully) better than ever!

New signings at last for Rovers as Paul splashes the cash

As Paul stated in last night's press conference, Paul Thame has finally decided to bring in new blood to the Bristol Rovers ranks. He blew a fair bit to aquire these signings:

Daniel Cousin moves to The Memorial Stadium for a fee of in the regions of £5-and-a-half million, a player Paul feels will strike Rovers to the glory days the fans believe they deserve.

sfnran123.jpg

Jose Marti also joins Bristol Rovers for a fee of around £2.4 million. Paul stated in the media that he needed a midfielder, and he has one now in the form of Marti.

The other two signings are AZ Alkmaar's Barry Opdam, joining for a fee in the regions of £5 million, whilst Javi Venta joins for a fee in the regions of £4.4 million