The Leamington Invitational Official Thread

LEAMINGTON INVITATIONAL CUP

Round two and now everyone joined in. A few surprise results who is going to have there name etched on the first trophy.

Bristol Rovers 3 - 1 Sliema Wanderers

Notts County 4 - 0 Burton Albion

Wrexham 2 - 0 East Fife

Sydney FC 0 - 1 Adelaide United

Central Coast Mariners 7 - 2 Stafford Rangers

New Zealand Knights 2 - 2(p) Rushden & Diamonds

Birkirkara 1 - 3 Crawley Town

Hibernians FC Paola 3 - 1 Torquay United

Raith Rovers 3 - 0 Peterborough Utd

Alloa Athletic 0 - 4 Gretna

Arbroath 1 - 0 Queensland Roar

Albion Rovers 2 - 1 Exeter City

Dagenham & Redbridge 1 - 2 Perth Glory

Morecambe 1(p) - 1 Forest Green

Southport 3 - 2 Newcastle United Jets

Tamworth 1 - 2 Northwich Victoria

The last sixteen throws out a few good ties.

Bristol Rovers - Albion Rovers

The Thame brothers battle for a place in the quarters.

Wrexham - Hibernians FC Paola

Possibly the game of the round, both sides are very strong.

Adelaide United - Arbroath

Adelaide should beat the setups bottom club who shocked everyone beating the roar i nthe last round.

Perth Glory - Notts County

High flying Perth of D3 may cause an upset at home to D1 County.

Gretna - Crawley Town

All D1 tie as Anthony o'neil and RobbieM do battle.

Raith Rovers - Rushden & Diamonds

Raith should ease through but Rushden upset the Knights on penalties last round.

Morecambe - Northwich Victoria

One D3 side will deffinately be in the next round with my Northwich having a tough game against leaders Morecambe.

Southport - Central Coast Mariners

Southport although at home may prove the biggest surprise if they can beat the Mariners who put seven past Stafford last time out.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Leamington Invitational Official Thread Two on the Trot for Posh! 3 - 2 Posh recorded their second straight win with this 3-2 victory over a determined Grays Athletic. Gerard Piq

Re: The Leamington Invitational OfficCial Thread Crawley Town 2-0 Gretna. Gretna were sent home without anything after a fairly impressive performance from the home side earned them a 3 point l

Turn 2 (Thu 25th Oct) Arbroath 0 - 3 Adelaide United United finish with nine men but still have enough to gain three points on there charge back to D2. Cowdenbeath 0 - 1 Perth Glory Glory get f

NORTHWICH VICTORIA 3 - 1 ARBROATH

After both teams were victorious in the cup game, Northwich were the stronger side in this meeting with 67% possesion on the game. New signings made debuts as others rested with Russel Latapy being the highlight. He took only 19minutes to open his account and put Northwich ahead with a great header. Steven Rennie levelled for Arbroath taking the score into the break at one a piece. The Vics took hold of the game in the second half and two goals in four minutes sealed the victory. Danny Mayman on 50 and Paco Montanes on 54 made certain of the three points which leaves Northwich 6th.

NORTHWICH VICTORIA 1 - 2 RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS

LS decision to rest his major players in preperation for the forthcoming cup tie with Morecambe led to a defeat at home to Rushden. All three goals in this game came in the second period with Greg Pearsons double split up by Josuap Padilla's first goal for the Vics. 7th in the table with six points needed to catch the top two.

Re: The Leamington Invitational Official Thread

560.gif1-156.gif

This Highly anticipated Cup game between Perth Glory and Notts County got off to a flyer with County's Junior Mendés shot cleared off the line by Jamie Harnwell.GOAL!!! 2 minutes later County were on the attack again as it payed off with striker Matías Campos slotting the ball under the keepers body. 2 minutes later a shot from Simon Colosimo was parried away by Apostolos Androutsos, and Archie Thompson replied with a thunderous effort which struck the bar. Just after Mendés Struck again but Petkovic was equal to it. as the ball was booted up the field Depotovski headed the ball from 20 yards and struck the bar in what should have bought the teams level. GOAL!!! Simon Colosimo scores with his weaker foot from 20 yards out!. A fantastic save from Petkovic who stops County from taking the lead. Thompson breaks through 4 players runs up to the keeper, attempts a lob but is miskicked. 4 minutes to go in the first half and Archie Thompson blasts one from 40 yards and brushes across the crossbar!. Free kick given and Archie Thompson is booked for failing to move back ten yards. Parkinson shoots the free kick and Petkovic tips it onto the crossbar and out for a corner...

HALF TIME

Matías Campos beats all the defenders and runs past the goalkeeper but shoots it wide!!!. a free kick from 30 yards is tipped over by Petkovic and i have to say Glory are lucky not to be 3-1 down at this moment in time. Sekulovski runs throught the defence but strikes the post. Sekolovski strikes again and it hits the post from 30 yards out. Archie Thompson shoots from 18 yards out and the keeper just stops it from going in and in the space of a minute Glory have had three fantastic chances to go ahead. Petkovic stops it from giving County the lead with a such a fantastic save.

PENALTIES

and Sekulvski has missed his penalty!!!! Perth Glory are out!.

ALLOA ATHLETIC 1 - 1 NORTHWICH VICTORIA

Although away Northwich should of fancied there chances against a poor Alloa side and may not be satisfied by the fact they only picked up a point. Japanese striker Daisuke Sudo opened preceedings on 29 with a suspect goal that perhaps should of been ruled off for offside. Alloas reply came six minutes later when Graeme Brown headed into the net. The draw drops the vics a place to 7th.

NORTHWICH VICTORIA 1 - 1 FOREST GREEN

The vics third draw in succession against the Delfs Forest Green did little to help wither sides league position. Sitting in midtable Fernando Navas scored the opener even though Northwich were playing with ten men. The one man advantage though helped Green back into the game on 76.

After Notts County's poor start to the season, it seems Raz's midland side

have got their act together, being unbeaten in their last 11 in all competitions.

New young quality signings Matias CAMPOS and Cristian JONATHAS have

proved the difference bagging a total of 12 goals in 11 games between them.

Influencial signing, Euro Championship Medal holder Theo ZAGORAKIS has

steadied the midfield and County look to be on a roll, moving from bottom

of the table up into 3rd.

County are also extatic to have grabbed greek starlet Sotiris NINIS for

a chpped price of 2 million before his 6 points increase to 82 from 76.

Edit: COUNTY go through in the cup after beating runaway league leaders

Hibernians FC Paola away in the cup even when fielding a somewhat weakened

side to the clubs league side. The game ended 2-2 after 90 minutes

with County winning 3-0 on penalties.

County manager Raz would like to put who scored the win secured penalties

but the feature isnt in the game yet lol.

Have to say all is not going well with Newcastle united jets ! cant seem to get the formation and tactics right at the moment, nevertheless ill battle on and hopefully get it ight for next season when i can challenge for the title ! im pretty confident of not going down which is always a bonus :)

Exeter got their first win for ages as they finally beat Southport 4 - 0.

Two goals for Daniel Chavez before half time and 2 after for Jose Cardozo gave Exeter a massive boost as they now try to charge up the table again.

Tomasz Kuszczak, Andre Bergdolmo, Daniel Chavez and Jose Cardozo got ratings of 10 but Chavez was the winner of the MoM award.

City remain in 6th place, 4 points off 2nd place but 12 behind runaway leaders New Zeland Knights. On this George said ' We are not doing too badly because of our decent start but I think no - one's going to catch Neller at the top now. He is doing an absolutely fantastic job '

845.gif

The start of two great games for the vics began away at Grays Athletic. Grays unmanaged and not looking to good at the moment were rolled over with ease and Northwich showed some pure class.

Four goals to zero was the end result with each goal scored by a different player. Slijngard, Navas, Marilia and Padilla all netted in a performance worthy of champions.

The second game was closer as Northwich squeezed past Cowdenbeath at home. Both sides ended the game with ten men after Latapy and Guy were sent off. The vics though capitalized on Cowdenbeaths loss scoring the winning goal two minutes after Guy went off.

As the second half of the season begins Northwich are third and lie two points behind the promotion places.

845.gif

After a good run of games undefeated Northwich slipped up as the fixtures turned around. East Fife appear to be a bogey side for the vics after beating them on the opening day, they did the same at home by two goals to one.

Two goals by the 33rd minute won the game for Fife with Josuap Padilla's reply in the 83rd minute not enough as the vics slip to 5th needing three points to catch 2nd.

Just letting you know Steve that after a bad run of results i have decided to retire from the managerial spot of Tamworth! I have 2 points on the board, without a win and no1 will sign for me! I am 14 points off of getting out of the relagation zone with 7 games left :(

If it's oryt can i take over at Rushden & Diamonds?? :)

845.gif

Northwich Victoria 1 - 2 Stirling Albion

Northwichs chances of getting out of division three took another battering as they lost at home to promotion chasing Stirling. Andy Gibsons opener for the visitors was cancelled out by Daisuke Sudo's header goal. Then in a mad couple of minutes for Stirlings Colin Cramb, he netted the winner on 87 before being sent off a minute later.

Northwich are in 7th and need six points to take second place.

Tonights the day of the biggest match so far of the season - the Leamington Invitational Cup final, a battle comparing two of SM's finest managers, Paul Thame in charge of Bristol Rovers and Ryan Hooley in charge of Notts County. Rovers have been dreaming of silverware since day one, hopefully their dreams will come true

Thank you, Steve! I always promised the Bristol Rovers faithful I would bring at least one piece of silverware to Bristol by the end of the season, now the dream is a reality thanks to the penalty shootout win. I'd like to thank the fans first and foremost because they were our proverbial 12th man throughout the cup run. Secondly I'd like to thank the chairman and the backroom staff for providing the money at the start of the season to begin what Bristol Rovers are today, one of the best teams in the Invitational:

Andreas Reinke

Claudio Suarez

Chris Powell

Fernando Cacares

Stephane Gregoire

Gary Speed

Roar Strand

Daniel Borimirov

Gonzalo Higuain

Teddy Sheringham

Michael Tarnat

Now that I have the £5 million pound cup win payment, I can strengthen my squad in one place - up front, so Bristol Rovers are bolstering their attack by hopefully signing Sporting Cristal striker Luis Bonnet for an all-Argie front line