Jon G

Rivaldo  

1. 1.

• down to 88
    • stay at 89
    • up to 90
    • up to 91
    • other please say why

Rivaldo, he was named by Pelé as one of the 125 Greatest Living Footballers at a FIFA Awards Ceremony in 2004.

1992-1993 Mogi Mirim EC 27app 9 goals

1993-1994 Corinthians 41app 17 goals

1994-1996 Palmeiras 104app 53 goals

1996-1997 Deportivo de La Coruña 41app 21 goals

1997-2002 FC Barcelona 157app 86 goals

2002-2003 AC Milan 22app 5 goals

2004 Cruzeiro EC 11app 2 goals

2004-Present Olympiacos CFP 45app 19 goals

1993-2003 Brazil 74app 34 goals

Honours

SE Palmeiras:

Brazilian league Championship: 1994

Paulista League Championship: 1994

Paulista League Championship: 1996

Euro-America Cup: 1996

FC Barcelona:

Spanish La Liga: 1998 and 1999

Copa del Rey: 1998

European Super Cup: 1998

AC Milan:

UEFA Champions League: 2003

Coppa Italia: 2003

European Super Cup: 2003

Olympiacos CFP:

Greek Super League: 2005 and 2006

Greek Cup: 2005 and 2006

Quote - ''In July 2006, Rivaldo announced that the 2006-07 season with Olympiacos would be the last, but luckily for the Greek champions' side, he has decided to end his outstanding career at Thrylos''

An outstanding career and an outstanding football player, should be at least a 90 rating in my book

Listen to my point, and EMPHASIS ON THE WORD WAS. Rivaldo undoubtedly was an awesome world class player in his prime, which now he has passed. Simple as he doesn't produce the performances anymore, with age comes lack of fitness skill and general which in turn weakens the performers ability. which it has. Personally i feel 88 is two points lenient IMO. But it doesnt matter what they have achieved its how they are playing at the moment, along with national appearanec ( at the present time ) and ability. Bet you would like ronaldo increased to 95 because he all time world cup top goalscorer etc etc , hope you see my point bud, its just not viable for him to be ne higher than 89

with age comes lack of fitness skill and general which in turn weakens the performers ability
its just not viable for him to be ne higher than 89

You make a point about age, Rivaldo is 34 but Fabio CANNAVARO is 33 only one year younger and rated 97 so it must be viable for Rivaldo to be higher than 89.

You make a point about age' date=' Rivaldo is 34 but Fabio CANNAVARO is 33 only one year younger and rated 97 so it must be viable for Rivaldo to be higher than 89.[/quote']

This aswell is also a good point, but as you well know, Defenders and strikers/attackingmidfielders have different attributes, to be a good striker you cant read the game and be world class. you can be good but no world class. You need all the attributes of fitness including skill pace etc. However as a defender you can be just as succesful at a hogher age than a stiker could be ( ingeneral ) Cannavaro is an exception as well, not many are like him :rolleyes: . He reads the game brilliaintly, still has that precise tackle etc etc

Skill is PERMANENT ! Fitness does go down ' date=' skill is always with him.[/quote']

No that isnt true, If you would of done A level PE, traits of fitness / ability ( eg speed, stamina . co-ordination etc etc ) are permanent and are the bases of all the skills we learn in life. Skill are not permanent by any means. So your point is not valid. To some extent it is because he still plays but his deteriation in fitness affects his skill abilites

This aswell is also a good point' date=' but as you well know, Defenders and strikers/attackingmidfielders have different attributes, to be a good striker you cant read the game and be world class. you can be good but no world class. You need all the attributes of fitness including skill pace etc. However as a defender you can be just as succesful at a hogher age than a stiker could be ( ingeneral ) Cannavaro is an exception as well, not many are like him :rolleyes: . He reads the game brilliaintly, still has that precise tackle etc etc[/quote']

Same can also apply to strikers, look at Bergkamp, Cole, Shearer list is probably goes on forever

No that isnt true' date=' If you would of done A level PE, traits of fitness / ability ( eg speed, stamina . co-ordination etc etc ) are permanent and are the bases of all the skills we learn in life. Skill are not permanent by any means. So your point is not valid. To some extent it is because he still plays but his deteriation in fitness affects his skill abilites[/quote']

I have not done A Level PE, but i do belive my own eyes, and i do watch things like legends football, Yes they lose some but they keep most there skill, touch, passing ability. Bergkamp once again is a good example of this.

Rivaldo is a has been its as simple as, as adam rightly said.

Players like sherringham at 40, and larsson at 35 are still playing in

The best league in the world, and are only at the same sort of rating.

The only reason Rivaldo is 89 still i feel is the fact he was that high in rating

at one point, and theyve dropped him very slowly as he was still an international, and was still playing for teams like barcelona.

Rivaldo's rating is justified, 89 is fine, hes still class and always will be.

But there are different levels of class and Rivaldo is dropping into middle

class due to age now, and i think his rating is fine.

Rivaldo is a has been its as simple as' date=' as adam rightly said.

Players like sherringham at 40, and larsson at 35 are still playing in

The best league in the world, and are only at the same sort of rating.

The only reason Rivaldo is 89 still i feel is the fact he was that high in rating

at one point, and theyve dropped him very slowly as he was still an international, and was still playing for teams like barcelona.

Rivaldo's rating is justified, 89 is fine, hes still class and always will be.

But there are different levels of class and Rivaldo is dropping into middle

class due to age now, and i think his rating is fine.[/quote']

I dont see rivaldo play so i honeslty cant give an opinion on his rating, But i agree Those players mentioned do play in a higher league although larsson was playing in sweden and will be again very shortly.

Does anyone who has posted on this thread actually see Rivaldo play on a regular basis? as far as i knew the greek league isnt shown much on TV

Still cant see hes rubbish because of age tho as those other players are still older

Still cant see hes rubbish because of age tho as those other players are still older

btw never doubted he was rubbish just didnt agree with a call for an increase in rating ! iv watched him here and there ;)

i have not done A Level PE' date=' but i do belive my own eyes, and i do watch things like legends football, Yes they lose some but they keep most there skill, touch, passing ability. Bergkamp once again is a good example of this.[/quote']

Again totally agree, but they did decline , surely you agree with me here ? they still have the basic ability but no where near never touched the heights of world class / international class again. Only on rare occasions you see this, in cannavaro, berkamp etc etc

Same can also apply to strikers' date=' look at Bergkamp, Cole, Shearer list is probably goes on forever

[/quote']

Completely agree, i wasn't doubting that but i don't feel they were relevant at the time because he brought up Cannavaro. I do agree that these people played magnificently during their careers and that includes the latter stages of them :)

btw never doubted he was rubbish just didnt agree with a call for an increase in rating ! iv watched him here and there ;)

I didnt say you did :)

Again totally agree' date=' but they did decline , surely you agree with me here ? they still have the basic ability but no where near never touched the heights of world class / international class again. Only on rare occasions you see this, in cannavaro, berkamp etc etc[/quote']

Yeah but as i said i dont think they lose there natural talent, passing, touch etc etc, they lose fitness and pace

Completely agree' date=' i wasn't doubting that but i don't feel they were relevant at the time because he brought up Cannavaro. I do agree that these people played magnificently during their careers and that includes the latter stages of them :)[/quote']

But if they are still so highly rated or in Bergkamps and shearers case "was" so highly rated then why is rivaldo any different, well except the league hes playing in of course?

I do not see rivaldo play so i wouldnt have a clue how good hes playing or looks but i bet half the people posting on this thread dont either, I do however Belive the people who do the ratings have seen Rivaldo play prob gave him a fair rating.

i know you didnt say i thought he was pap, i was just stating for the benefit of the discussion. And i agree that they dont loose all there ability but some just deteriorates. And again the people who do the ratings are in a better position for them tom judge him than i am. I think his rating on what iv seen ( isnt much tbh ) taking into account the league is a 88. but still ! im happy :D so for now i will leave this thread for someone else ;)B)

i know you didnt say i thought he was pap' date=' i was just stating for the benefit of the discussion. And i agree that they dont loose all there ability but some just deteriorates. And again the people who do the ratings are in a better position for them tom judge him than i am. I think his rating on what iv seen ( isnt much tbh ) taking into account the league is a 88. but still ! im happy :D so for now i will leave this thread for someone[/quote']

Yeah wierd how we are debating because we seem to be agreing wich each other :)

I dont mind either way i want most the old players to drop in rating as i dont buy them :D