"Not this again..." .:| RUAN - Fwd - Sport Recife - 16 years old |:.

Insider

RUAN

SPORT RECIFE

Ruan.jpg

RUAN CARLOS Gomes Costa da Silva

AM/Fwd

Sport Recife

182 cm

August 17th, 1993

16 years old

RUA2010

Last time Recife was this buzzed about a young prodigy, I bought into it. Despite my neverending faith in Ciro, he hasn't turned out as well as most thought he would. Ciro has proven that he can score buckets of goals in the youth and senior versions of the Campeonato Pernambucano, but so far only has 1 Serie B goal and didn't score at all in Serie A last season. That's why one has to be careful with Ruan.

However, Sport fans think they might have a player better then Ciro and are already paranoid at losing him. His rise has been meteoric of late- as most promising players from the Northeast. Brazil's youth internationals are usually based almost completely in the south/southeast; where most of the Brazilian giants are (Inter, Gremio, Atletico, Atletico, Vasco, Flu, Fla, Bota, Santos, Sao Paulo, Corinth, Palmy, Cruzeiro, ...), and it's a big deal when someone from outside that range (Think Ciro, Douglas or Rafael Toloi) makes the team. So the real chance to spot there northeastern talents are during the State youth titles.

Well, after playing in an academy in Natal for a few years (where the trainers developped highly rated 18 year old Jean Natal [Portuguesa] and 20 year old Sport striker Juninho Potiguar), Ruan returned to his hometown to play in the Pernambucano U17, at the age of 15. The young attacking midfielder led him team to the title, destroying everything in their way. He finished as top scorer of the U17 Pernambucano at the age of 15, scoring 17 goals in 14 games. The next best scorer has 13 goals.

Fast forward to this year. Thirteen games into the U20 Pernambucano, Sport decide to call on a now 16 year old Ruan. This was the midway point of the competition. Ruan shocked everyone, scoring 11 goals in 13 games against players 3 years older then him. This was enough to shoot him up to 5th best scorer in the competition, despite missing half of it.

With Sport struggling in Serie B (Currently fighting against relegation after 5 games), there are calls to bring up the 16 year old. But the main thing that has Sport fans worried is that his contract runs out in just a few months. Rumours have circulated that some bigger teams might be interested; notably GrĂªmio. If he does get out of Recife, it might help him avoid the plague of inconsistency that has hit Pernambucano youngsters Kassio, Anderson Lessa, Ciro and co.

For now, though, Ruan will keep to his tricks. He has the same speed, long strides, flair and shot that first got Ciro onto the scene. For those who have watched Ciro, I dare you to tell me you don't see similarities...

Let's just hope his hopes don't come crashing down.

Re: "Not this again..." .:| RUAN - Fwd - Sport Recife - 16 years old |:.

You realise the post is two days old' date=' right?[/quote']

I didn't actually, no.

Perhaps i need to change my personal settings, but ''06-02-2010, 12:41 AM'' to me(in England) is 6th February 2010.....

I'll go out on a limb and guess there's not much progress then.....

I didn't actually' date=' no.

Perhaps i need to change my personal settings, but ''06-02-2010, 12:41 AM'' to me(in England) is 6th February 2010.....

I'll go out on a limb and guess there's not much progress then.....[/quote']

:D Made my otherwise bad day. :)

Hahaha' date=' anyway do you think he is work buying or should I leave him at an external for a while?[/quote']

He's not on SM.

Can you do that in the Forum settings?

I didn't actually' date=' no.

[b']Perhaps i need to change my personal settings[/b], but ''06-02-2010, 12:41 AM'' to me(in England) is 6th February 2010.....

I'll go out on a limb and guess there's not much progress then.....

Can you do that in the Forum settings?

To be honest' date=' i thought i had mine set up in english date already, DD-MM-YY, thats why i got caught out, so there must be a setting somewhere becasue i could have sworn thats how i had it!! :confused:

:D Made my otherwise bad day. :)

Ah well, at least i cheered someone up, now i need to try the same with my girlfriend! ;)

• 3 months later...

NOW I can give an update on him. He was promoted as soon as he turned 17 in August, and has subbed in to 2 games since then. He's not playing much (Sport have some very good attackers like Ciro, Marcelinho Paraiba, Eliandro and Dairo) but he's by far the youngest player in Serie B, and probably the youngest to play in any of Series A, B, C and D; just beating out Palmeiras' Vinicius.