Official World Cup 2010 Song!

Re: Official World Cup 2010 Song!

I thought I should share the glorious song to all fellow football fans :)

The official world cup song:

(Here's the original version of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8V8S_REhk)

World Cup Song in Arabic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apeVbw02nzc

World Cup song in Spanish:

As far as I know' date=' this is not the 'official' world cup song. The song above, by Somalian artist K'naan, is Coca-Cola's anthem, and has no official bearing, at least as declared by FIFA.

The official world cup song is 'Waka Waka (Time for Africa)' by Shakira, featuring South African band Freshlyground. And the 'anthem' is a horrendous effort by R. Kelly (whaaaat??) called 'Signs of Victory' where he basically says "Signs of Victory" about 27 times to a rudimentary beat.

As a proud South African, I can honestly say I'm so very disappointed by both the official song and the anthem. They are disgusting. In my opinion, they have no real African feel to them. R. Kelly is an American, Shakira is a Columbian. WHY did they choose them? And why are these two songs so alarmingly terrible? With little or no African style (what little there is seems to be quite clich├ęd and uninspiring)

An anthem is supposed to be epic, it's supposed to inspire glory and greatness. Movie soundtracks have themes which culminate into the movie's anthem at a climactic moment. If you want to see an anthem at it's best, google for the 2002 World Cup anthem by Vangelis. It's amazing, it's epic and it's totally thematic. Now compare that to R. Kelly's nonsense. It's shameful.

... listen to it in full and close your eyes and imagine.

The song you posted is really nice, and is a really catchy tune. If anything should be the official anthem, it should be the track you posted. As a hobbyist music producer and orchestrator myself, I can fully imagine how that theme could be tied in to an amazing opening ceremony.

Just my 2 cents :)

Archived