Official Premier League Discussion Thread

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Re: Premiership 2011/2012 Discussion

I thought QPR were the better team and i don't think Bolton deserved to win the game. Bolton were poor and not enough players played well enough to justify the Premier League wages that they're on. That Bolton side wouldn't look out of place in the Championship, Mark Davies aside. QPR were unfortunate but they weren't good enough defensively for both goals.

I think that QPR are in the worst position in the league though, i know they aren't bottom and do have a couple more points than Wigan but based on the remaining 10 fixtures of the season they'll need to do more to stay up than any other side in the division.

QPR's fixtures: Liverpool (H), Sunderland (A), Arsenal (H), Man. United (A), Swansea (H), West Brom (A), Tottenham (H), Chelsea (A), Stoke (H), Man. City (A)

There are the odd fixtures in there who they may have a chance of beating, especially us and Stoke at home but when they are unable to beat teams like Bolton then it really doesn't look good for them. They are the only side in the bottom 5 who hasn't got a game against another of the bottom 5 in the last 10 games (Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves have 3, Wigan have 2) which are the games that you have every chance of getting a crucial win in.

Am I the only one that thinks the linesman knew Cisse was offside' date=' but didn't raise his flag because he saw the replay of the 'Clint Hill goal' at half time? Just to balance out the decisions.

2 wrongs can make a right in football.[/quote']

He may have been 'leveliing things out' but i don't think it was intentional. Two wrongs certainly don't make a right.

I thought on the refereing performance that Martin Atkinson was very poor. I thought Pratley should have been sent off, he commited a similar offence to his first booking and did fly in with a couple of other tackles but he wasn't sent off. Diakete definatly should have been sent off it took Atkinson too many tackles to give him his first booking for persistant fouling and he would have been within reason to give him a second yellow card in the last few minutes of the game. QPR should have definatly had a penalty at the end of the game as well, the four officials should have surely spotted one of the two offences that could have been given as penalties between them :confused:

Pratley looked offside to me. Linesman off the line for Bolton and goes up the other end and scores. Sick injustice.

I think he was level with the last man, but he was offside in the previous phase and it was borderline whether he gained an advantange from being in that offside position.

429132_377716125586595_146032762088267_1319896_491368909_n.jpg

Britton is the only player this season to complete a match with an 100 per cent success in passing — in the 3-0 win over Bolton back in October.

Only nine players have completed a match without misplacing a single pass in the last six years. But the other eight are ALL defenders who normally pass alongside each other.

London-born Britton is the only "creative player" in Premier League history to register a perfect game.

Britton is the only player this season to complete a match with an 100 per cent success in passing — in the 3-0 win over Bolton back in October.

Only nine players have completed a match without misplacing a single pass in the last six years. But the other eight are ALL defenders who normally pass alongside each other.

London-born Britton is the only "creative player" in Premier League history to register a perfect game.

All well and good but the goalscoring chances created is the most important...

The worst players this season are

Carroll (liverpool) Torres (chelsea) Cahill (chelsea) Mertesacker (Arsenal) Spearing (liverpool) N'Zogbia (Villa) Rodallega (Wigan) Hennessey (wolves) Savic (man city)

Best players this season

RPV (Arsenal) Ba (newcastle) Rooney (united) young (united) Silva (city) mata (chelsea) sturridge (chelsea) yaya toure (city) Agger + sktrel partnership (liverpool) Dempsey (fulham) holt (norwich) sessegon (sunderland) vorm (swansea) Krul (newcastle)

Worst players Where's Arshavin he been really poor.

Best players Why isn't on Best players Bale or Scotty?

Joe Allen's passing stats are up there as well' date=' i think his pass completion rate is in the high 80's.

(We Bolton 3-1, but that's not really relevant)

All well and good but the goalscoring chances created is the most important...

Not when his job in the side is to keep the team ticking. Leon Britton isn't used as a creative midfield player in our system and nor is he much of an attacking threat either but his role in keeping possesion of the ball is vital for the way we play.

Not when his job in the side is to keep the team ticking. Leon Britton isn't used as a creative midfield player in our system and nor is he much of an attacking threat either but his role in keeping possesion of the ball is vital for the way we play.

Xavi has created far more goalscoring chances, therefore he is playing riskier passes in between defenders. It is one of the most important stats given. Still very impressive though.

Xavi has created far more goalscoring chances' date=' therefore he is playing riskier passes in between defenders. It is one of the most important stats given. Still very impressive though.[/quote']

Yes but Leon Britton isn't Xavi is he? let's face next to noone past or present has been as good as Xavi is at keeping possession of the ball,Leon Britton has been asked to do a job and the stats suggest his doing the job bloody well.

Oh by the way not that matters but I remember Tiote in his first game for us against Everton was succesful in every pass he made :P.

Xavi has created far more goalscoring chances' date=' therefore he is playing riskier passes in between defenders. It is one of the most important stats given. Still very impressive though.[/quote']

Yes i guess that is the difference between a Xavi and a Britton but i don't think it's justifible to knock Britton for not creating enough goalscoring chances due to the role he's playing in.

Yes but Leon Britton isn't Xavi is he? let's face next to noone past or present has been as good as Xavi is at keeping possession of the ball' date='Leon Britton has been asked to do a job and the stats suggest his doing the job bloody well.

Oh by the way not that matters but I remember Tiote in his first game for us against Everton was succesful in every pass he made :P.[/quote']

Josh McEachren had a 100% pass completion rate against Norwich but i'm not sure that it is classed as 'counting' as he came off with half an hour still to play.

I'm not sure whether Leon is the only player to have done it, but at the time he did it they made a big meal of it being the first player to do it in the Premier League.

Yes i guess that is the difference between a Xavi and a Britton but i don't think it's justifible to knock Britton for not creating enough goalscoring chances due to the role he's playing in.

Josh McEachren had a 100% pass completion rate against Norwich but i'm not sure that it is classed as 'counting' as he came off with half an hour still to play.

I'm not sure whether Leon is the only player to have done it' date=' but at the time he did it they made a big meal of it being the first player to do it in the Premier League.[/quote']

I apologise as it turns out your right and I'm wrong,turns out Tiote only completed 46 out of his 47 passes in that game,weird as I was convinced he was done that as well,and yeah it'd be from start to finish,if a midfielder comes on with two minutes left and makes three complete passes it's not really much of an achievement.

Found this quiet interesting

The guardian did a poll with Premier League managers to give their opinions on this season, in terms of the players and managers they are most impressed with - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/14/brendan-rodgers-premier-league-managers-survey

This is the Premier League managers Team of the Year

Hart

Terry - Kompany - Vermaelan

Silva - Britton - Y. Toure - Bale*

Ba - Aguero - Van Persie

* it could be any of Dembele, Ramires, Modric or Parker as well as Bale

Manager of the season: Brendan Rodgers

Signing of the season: Demba Ba

Young player of the season: Phil Jones

Is there another defender called Terry as well as John? ;)

edit;

At the risk of bringing up 50 pages about Koscielny' date=' anyone who chose Terry over him should be sacked instantly. Then again you could name probably 15 CB's that have been better than Terry this season![/quote']

It makes it better that one of the managers surveyed answered Terry, and one of the managers surveyed answer Vermaelan and all the rest answered Kompany.

My team of the year so far would be this though:

Hart

Richards - Kompany - Coloccini - Assou-Ekotto

Dyer - Modric - Silva - Bale

Van Persie - Ba

In other news, QPR are in big big trouble.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-exclusive-Big-name-signings-contracts-do-not-include-relegation-clauses-that-automatically-cut-wages-from-rates-as-high-as-80k-per-week-article877614.html

I will don't think Tony Fernandes doesn't have a clue. How arrogant do you have to be as a newly promoted club to EXPECT to survive in your first season in the Premier League. In my opinion, they are in a worse position than Wigan in terms of their chances of survival based on there incredibly tough run in. I can see why it would be difficult to give players like Joey Barton, Nedum Onouha, Djibril Cisse, Taye Taiwo, SWP and Bobby Zamora relegation wage reduction clauses but it does look like none of the squad haven't got them seeing as they are looking to put one in to Jamie Mackie's contract.

The way QPR is being run isn't ideal, paying players like Joey Barton £80k a week. Alejandro Faurlin has been far better than Barton this season and is probably on a fraction of what Barton's on, him missing the end of the season has cost QPR and he's someone i'd like the Swans to sign in the summer. But the players mentioned above will drop in value a lot if QPR go down because they certainly can't afford to keep them, and if QPR go down there'll be almost like a fire sale with players values dropping (in a similar case to Scott Parker's last summer) and they certainly won't get back what they paid for those players and they've got a difficult job finding a club that are happy to pay Joey Barton £80k a week with the way he's playing like at the moment.

Well I have more stats here about this.

According to The Sun (not best for reliability) but anyway here:

Best Young Player of the Season:

1. Phil Jones (31%)
  2. Kyle Walker (25%)
  3. Daniel Sturridge (25%)
  4. Oriol Romeu (6%)
  5. Scott Sinclair (6%)
  6. Chris Smalling (6%)

67% of managers think City will win the league unlike 33% who think United.

Who has impressed the most:

1. Brendan Rodgers (47%)
  2. Paul Lambert (40%)
  3. Roberto Mancini (6%)
  4. Steve Kean (6%) -- :confused:

Best Goalie:

• Joe Hart (69%)
  • Pepe Reina (13%)
  • Brad Friedel (6%)
  • Shay Given (6%)
  • Tim Krul (6%)

More on this link