Official Premier League Discussion Thread

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Premiership 2010/2011 Disscussion Hi Premiership, We're loaning you Swanseajack for a year. Look after him well. Just entertain him. He often fails to make sense and likes to talk a lot, but I'm

Re: Official Premier League Discussion Thread Wow what an unbelievable cup upset today seeing Liverpool turn over the Worldwide Super Heavyweights of Crystal Palace.... Went into the game today with

Re: Premier League Discussion Thread So, how did clubs do in the window as a whole? Arsenal Finally sold off a lot of deadwood like Denilson, Arshavin and Squillaci. Not sure Flamini has the qualit

Re: Premiership 2011/2012 Discussion

David Moyes is over rated' date='

discuss.[/quote']

I can see why you're saying that to be fair..

Moyes has been very successful with Everton. Even with a lack of money, he had them challenging the 'Top 4' on a shoestring budget, with James Beattie playing! Moyes has bought very wisely on a whole, but the players he has spend 'large' on have been overly poor. IE; Bilyiledtinov (pardon my spelling), Fellaini (great CM, but he's always injured, £17 million wasted). I'm a big fan of Fellaini but he's injured for 2/3 of a season realistically. The likes of Louis Saha, Yakubu have been average at Everton, a peak in form reached for both, but nothing substantial. He has a good eye for talent, but the club haven't really done anything in the last 5 years. They're just top half and not doing anything. I personally don't expect that to change, unless there is a change in ownership, but Everton can't really be expected to be challenging for a top 6 finish, but I'm sure Evertonian's are frustrated that since their CL qualification season, league form has suffered. That's down to money elsewhere being pumped in. IMO,Everton don't have a match winner. They were right to sell Arteta and Pienaar when they did, neither had their heart in the job anymore. Moyes fails to see that Rodwell would be a great CB, far better than DM. Darron Gibson was a joke of a signing, he's pap.

Either way, I see two sides to the Moyes argument. He's made Everton a concrete PL side, but I'm sure that with their history, the fans want a little more excitement each season and not two wins against the bigger sides.

Just my opinion, hopefully I elaborated a little more than most..

Not much to discuss about it. He's definitely not overrated' date=' [b']he's doing an amazing job without spending at all.[/b]

He has spent though its just over the last season or two that he hasn't spent, Fellaini(£15m), Bilyaletdinov(£9m), Yakubu(£12.5m), Johnson(£8.6m), Beattie (£6.5m) and many more players around the £5m mark such as Baines, Jagielka, Distin and Heitinga. I know he had to sell to buy and ripping City off for Lescott helped (he was bought for over £5m as well) he seems to use no money as an excuse but it wouldn't harm him to try and win a game instead of sitting back. I actually can't remember the last time Everton played well and convincingly won a league game.

Are you serious?

I am being deadly serious. The man has lost it' date=' can't play attacking football for his life and makes strikers worse. Look at Saha and Yakubu all have thrived moving clubs. Andy Johnson lost it at Everton as Moyes kept trying to make him play out wide. Also ever since he took over we have needed a right back and yet we still haven't bought one and us Everton fans have to watch Neville or Hibbert get ripped to shreds most weeks by any half decent player. He is also never tries anything different and refuses to try anything other than 4-5-1 and makes stupid decisions liek CAHILL OFF and DISTIN ON whilst loosing and already having 2 center backs playing.

I can see why you're saying that to be fair..

Moyes has been very successful with Everton. Even with a lack of money, he had them challenging the 'Top 4' on a shoestring budget, with James Beattie playing! Moyes has bought very wisely on a whole, but the players he has spend 'large' on have been overly poor. IE; Bilyiledtinov (pardon my spelling), Fellaini (great CM, but he's always injured, £17 million wasted). I'm a big fan of Fellaini but he's injured for 2/3 of a season realistically. The likes of Louis Saha, Yakubu have been average at Everton, a peak in form reached for both, but nothing substantial. He has a good eye for talent, but the club haven't really done anything in the last 5 years. They're just top half and not doing anything. I personally don't expect that to change, unless there is a change in ownership, but Everton can't really be expected to be challenging for a top 6 finish, but I'm sure Evertonian's are frustrated that since their CL qualification season, league form has suffered. That's down to money elsewhere being pumped in. IMO,Everton don't have a match winner. They were right to sell Arteta and Pienaar when they did, neither had their heart in the job anymore. Moyes fails to see that Rodwell would be a great CB, far better than DM. Darron Gibson was a joke of a signing, he's pap.

Either way, I see two sides to the Moyes argument. He's made Everton a concrete PL side, but I'm sure that with their history, the fans want a little more excitement each season and not two wins against the bigger sides.

Just my opinion, hopefully I elaborated a little more than most..

I agree with you to a certain extent. I think we have one match winner in our squad and that is Royston Drenthe as he is the only player in our squad who will shoot and try and make something happen instead of just lumping balls into the box and hoping for the best. But sadly I don't think he will be staying as he isn't a Moyes type of player as he doesn't like to defend and isn't very disciplined. I also agree that we sold Pienaar and Arteta at the right time as we wouldn't have got anything for Pienaar if we waited and I think Arteta is passed his best. However Fellaini hasn't been injured this season and it has really shown, he is our best player in my opinion and when he plays well Everton do as he completely dominates the midfield and I honestly believe he could get in to most other teams in the world and one day he will be playing for a top European side. Regarding Gibson I actually think he is a good signing and you can't really go wrong for half a million. When he plays although he doesn't do much Fellaini seems to play better as he plays a more box to box role and Gibson just sits and covers for him.

I am thankful for what Moyes but he is on £3m a year which is more than most of our squad and it is scary to see that Everton a club that has money problems have the 12th best paid manager in world football.

David Moyes is over rated' date='

discuss.[/quote']

He's a very good manager IMO but yes, he's overrated. He is working on a shoestring at Everton but he spends the money he's given terribly. Still, to achieve what he has at Everton with the resources he's been given (as much as he's misused them) is worthy of praise.

On another note, Samba is upset at Russian racism. If he didn't see that one coming then quite frankly, he's a moron.

Liverpool fans may struggle to see the racist connotations of banana throwing...

"In Russia 'to get a banana' means 'to fail a test somewhere'," said then director general Alexei Sorokin.

Sound familiar? :P

Wouldnt be unfair to say his sending offs might cost them dearly' date=' they were all over Wolves last time he got sent off and QPR went on to lose that a well[/quote']

Very true. Shame really as he's scored a few important goals and had he been available he could have really helped them. As it is, this'll be a 4 game ban won't it?

Glad to see Bolton winning! I hope both them and Blackburn stay up this season :)

One of my friends is a Bolton fan' date=' so we'll probably be heading down to the Reebok soon to watch them.[/quote']

I hope so too, especially Blackburn after all the horrendous abuse that Steve Kean has received this season. If he keeps them up i think he should be awarded Manager of the Season!!

Gibson doesn't do much but we just seem to do better with him in the side:)

Decent player, not as bad as some United fans might have you believe. Might even smack a few in when its going for him. Dare i say it he might be of more use than Rodwell who even when he is not injured dosent seem to do much?

Decent player' date=' not as bad as some United fans might have you believe. Might even smack a few in when its going for him. Dare i say it he might be of more use than Rodwell who even when he is not injured dosent seem to do much?[/quote']

Nearly scored today and it would have been a great goal. I would prefer to play Gibson instead as he seems to bring out the best in the players around him such as Fellaini and when he plays well Everton win. Oh and I still think Rodwell should be a centre back and I would love it if he got a go there.